Got an idea how to fix 5.0? Read here.

Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
So, you were reading a book, and suddenly, a bright idea came to you about how to fix the 5.0 cancer, as it's now known, to make your beloved Mana Pit useful again.

Well, since channeling and interval work differently, with channeling working on a percentage and interval giving increasing bonus with each piece of gear you invest in... It's quite obvious that there isn't an "Easy Fix".

This is very obviously unbalanced. This unbalance is designed into the mechanics of the game. You can't just suggest something simple that will fix this, because it will destroy something else, such as reducing Chi gain from Fists. I used Fists at lower level on my BM. I'm using nub fists on my archer for chi. Nerf that, and you just created another unbalance.

There is no easy fix. Channeling is a linear gain, interval is not.

Someone will suggest making interval into +APS, but... that's unbalanced too... Imagine an Archer with 5.0 on a bow. b:shocked You would have to design these crazy caps in based on weapon and that would just be... Crazy.

So, like most cancer, this one isn't going to 'just go away'. And it may ultimately end up killing this game. We will have to wait and see.
101 Sage Sin*/Archer
100 Demon BM*/Barb
96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
95 Demon Wiz/
94 Sage Veno
85 Psy/80 Mystic
And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
*Pre RB level
Post edited by Sarrafeline - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    So, you were reading a book, and suddenly, a bright idea came to you about how to fix the 5.0 cancer, as it's now known, to make your beloved Mana Pit useful again.

Well, since channeling and interval work differently, with channeling working on a percentage and interval giving increasing bonus with each piece of gear you invest in... It's quite obvious that there isn't an "Easy Fix".

This is very obviously unbalanced. This unbalance is designed into the mechanics of the game. You can't just suggest something simple that will fix this, because it will destroy something else, such as reducing Chi gain from Fists. I used Fists at lower level on my BM. I'm using nub fists on my archer for chi. Nerf that, and you just created another unbalance.

Someone will suggest making interval into +APS, but... that's unbalanced too... Imagine an Archer with 5.0 on a bow. b:shocked You would have to design these crazy caps in based on weapon and that would just be... Crazy.

So, like most cancer, this one isn't going to 'just go away'. And it may ultimately end up killing this game. We will have to wait and see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    There's nothing wrong with 5.0. This just another troll post.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    Laranda - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited January 2011

This is actually typical for balance. Change one thing, half a dozen other things are affected. It's a royal mess for anything more complicated than pong. o.o;;
    tweakz wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with 5.0.

Good luck changing general opinion on that one.
  • Tygurr - Sanctuary
    Tygurr - Sanctuary Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    As I stated in another similar thread, all they have to do is restrict fists and claws to blademasters only.
    Somewhat retired from PWI, now playing Hellgate Global full time
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    YAY! Another one of these threads. Just when I thought there wasn't enough, another one appears! b:pleased
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
    edited January 2011
    This is actually typical for balance. Change one thing, half a dozen other things are affected. It's a royal mess for anything more complicated than pong. o.o;;

Good luck changing general opinion on that one.

Hmm, I don't play other MMO's, just FPSRPGs and occasionally FPS's. Usually user created addons break those. XD

And tweakz is a troll.

Fists being restricted to BM won't fix anything. You'll just have a bunch of servers that are either 1) Empty 2) Have a BUNCH of catshops, and BM's running around rapidly fisting things 3) Sins rapidly cutting things

Also, fists are kinda useful on archer, even when you don't have -3.93 interval.

All of this talk about 'nerf this, nerf that' kinda sucks. People put time and effort into getting to 5 aps. taking it away is gonna butthurt some of them, and really isn't that fair.

I'm still a proponent of making -chan better. Get it so a Wiz with -80% channeling can nuke a boss in the same amount of time a 5.0 BM can, and we'll call it a deal.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Haden - Dreamweaver
    Haden - Dreamweaver Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Regrettably APS wont be fixed. I would be easy to, but wont be. Complaining about it, and making suggestions on how to fix it, as much as a lot of people would love it.

"Fixing" APS, would just cause more, prominent issues, and more problematic issues in the game throwing off the balance that much more.

People's opinion of "fixing" aps is to make primary melee classes useless.

I used to support the "fix" aps movement, but people still have yet to realize its not getting fixed, and quite frankly I'm sick of hearing the complaints. Just because you cant play the game, and you fail at fighting a class, doesnt mean that its overpowered and ****. It just means you fail at playing your class and dont realize that a certain class is designed to kill you.

I've tried to help people to understand that there are means to deal with it, but I'm just sick of trying to help people in this forsaken game.

I mean really? Cant you complain about something that matters? Cant you point your dedication towards something important?

I swear if you whiners pointed your rabid distain at something useful, maybe just maybe things would actually be done in the world and you could actually flex your real-peen instead of your e-peen.

People like you wafflers, make me not want to breed, and it just makes me so disgusted with this world

Either accept it and shut the hell up, or go away and shut the hell up. Either way, shut the hell up.

To Quote myself:
    Good intentions are like peeing yourself in dark leather pants, you get warm feelings inside, but it doesn't show.
  • Tulipano - Archosaur
    Tulipano - Archosaur Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Regrettably APS wont be fixed. I would be easy to, but wont be. Complaining about it, and making suggestions on how to fix it, as much as a lot of people would love it.

"Fixing" APS, would just cause more, prominent issues, and more problematic issues in the game throwing off the balance that much more.

People's opinion of "fixing" aps is to make primary melee classes useless.

I used to support the "fix" aps movement, but people still have yet to realize its not getting fixed, and quite frankly I'm sick of hearing the complaints. Just because you cant play the game, and you fail at fighting a class, doesnt mean that its overpowered and ****. It just means you fail at playing your class and dont realize that a certain class is designed to kill you.

I've tried to help people to understand that there are means to deal with it, but I'm just sick of trying to help people in this forsaken game.

I mean really? Cant you complain about something that matters? Cant you point your dedication towards something important?

I swear if you whiners pointed your rabid distain at something useful, maybe just maybe things would actually be done in the world and you could actually flex your real-peen instead of your e-peen.

People like you wafflers, make me not want to breed, and it just makes me so disgusted with this world

Either accept it and shut the hell up, or go away and shut the hell up. Either way, shut the hell up.

To Quote myself:

Nice QQ and IQ out there dude, world is so bad because ppl complain about 5.0 in a game b:cry Not even my granma makes those kind of conclusions.

You're the one here not seeing the reality in front of your face and not accepting game is unbalanced like this, and a fix like increase -chan would make everyone more happier than just your class, you selfish azz
  • oxytorch
    oxytorch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011

....I'm still a proponent of making -chan better. Get it so a Wiz with -80% channeling can nuke a boss in the same amount of time a 5.0 BM can, and we'll call it a deal.
    48,000% agree . Quoted For Truth b:victory
    b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry We love this game STOP RUINING IT !! b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry

"Sometimes the strongest are the ones that walk away . Enough is Enough ".
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Want a simple brute-force fix?
    Just remove -interval from all gear. Or just the effect of -interval (depending on whether a database or a code change is easier for you)

If you feel nice, compensate people for it.

It would cause MASSIVE emigration of disgruntled players. But it could trivially be done. It won't be.

But SOMETHING needs to be done to make other classes worth playing.

As a stupid idea - you could have a boss that gets WEAKER with time (providing people are attacking it) - that would give low dps squads as good a chance to kill it as high DPS squads.

You could remove, or massively reduce, the casting time on skills, whilst adding a short channel time to changing weapons. That would make skills more desirable and even up the gap.

Think further outside the box people!

Bosses that move around a lot would help, but how about bosses that move YOU around? Bosses that use expel, earthquake and similar skills.
    More bosses that fly. More bosses that respond to luring in funny ways. More platforms to run around on and mazes to navigate through.
    Mirror bosses, who steal your stats.

LOTS of other possible fixes.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    As I stated in another similar thread, all they have to do is restrict fists and claws to blademasters only.
    Why is this belief so popular? It makes absolutely no sense.

Might as well restrict 5.0 to only people with "bob" in their name, or have it only work for people wearing red fashion, or only for female chars, or only for friends of the GMs...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • NoXide_ - Heavens Tear
    NoXide_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    5aps BMs arnt over powered... 5aps Sins are b:chuckle

no seriously why should someone work hard, it could be farm in game or work real life or both just so to get 5aps just so lazy *** people who cant be fcked to do it themselfs QQ about how OP they are. do yourselfs a favor and put as much money into your char as someone would into a 5aps char and your soon see its not over powered at all.

average cost to get a 5aps sin:

nirvana daggers: 200m at most
    Tt 99 LA arms : 25m
    TT 99 La boots : 25m
    TT 99 HA neck and belt : around 30m together
    nirvana legs :100m
    Lunar cape : around 40-50m on HT
    R8 top 70m during sale too what ever its normal price is. 800m?

total cost over 1.2billion coins

now go stick 1.2billion coins worth of gear onto a wiz and see how over powered they`d be.
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    now go stick 1.2billion coins worth of gear onto a wiz and see how over powered they`d be.

Could they solo TT?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Why is this belief so popular? It makes absolutely no sense.

Might as well restrict 5.0 to only people with "bob" in their name, or have it only work for people wearing red fashion, or only for female chars, or only for friends of the GMs...

You do realize that Blademasters are the only class in the game that is meant to use Fists and Claws. They get skills that require them to be equipped, and they even get Fist & Claw Mastery. This also means they are the only class that can use their intended class skills with Fists and Claws.

So please, how does this make "absolutely no sense"?
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited January 2011

no seriously why should someone work hard, it could be farm in game or work real life or both just so to get 5aps just so lazy *** people who cant be fcked to do it themselfs QQ about how OP they are. do yourselfs a favor and put as much money into your char as someone would into a 5aps char and your soon see its not over powered at all.

it's not 1.2bil...more like 500mil with rep sale
    but assuming that there is no rep sale, u can just get r4 chest+pan gu
    total cost is still ~500mil

but i'll say ok, lets assume than u need 1.2bil
    i'll take it one step further; spend 3bil on a wiz.
    get r9+12 everything, put dots everywhere
    go ahead.
    make a build that has the single target dps of a 5aps sin.

you cant.

yes it will be OP in pvp; yes it will probably solo delta
    but it wont make more $$ than a 5aps

unless the 5aps has +3 decides or something
    You do realize that Blademasters are the only class in the game that is meant to use Fists and Claws. They get skills that require them to be equipped, and they even get Fist & Claw Mastery. This also means they are the only class that can use their intended class skills with Fists and Claws.

what doesnt make sense is that ppl believe that restrictibg fists will solve the 5aps issue
    it wont, it will just make archers reroll sins and barbs bms.
  • TydelWave - Harshlands
    TydelWave - Harshlands Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    5aps Bms Arnt Over Powered... 5aps Sins Are B:chuckle

No Seriously Why Should Someone Work Hard, It Could Be Farm In Game Or Work Real Life Or Both Just So To Get 5aps Just So Lazy *** People Who Cant Be Fcked To Do It Themselfs Qq About How Op They Are. Do Yourselfs A Favor And Put As Much Money Into Your Char As Someone Would Into A 5aps Char And Your Soon See Its Not Over Powered At All.

Average Cost To Get A 5aps Sin:

Nirvana Daggers: 200m At Most
    Tt 99 La Arms : 25m
    Tt 99 La Boots : 25m
    Tt 99 Ha Neck And Belt : Around 30m Together
    Nirvana Legs :100m
    Lunar Cape : Around 40-50m On Ht
    R8 Top 70m During Sale Too What Ever Its Normal Price Is. 800m?

Total Cost Over 1.2billion Coins

Now Go Stick 1.2billion Coins Worth Of Gear Onto A Wiz And See How Over Powered They`d Be.

Amen!!
    It's not like a sin or a bm is born with this gear. You spend tons of hours farming, selling and trading around to get it. It would be a kick in the face to those people who have put in the time and effort to get them self to this point.
    edited January 2011
    it's not 1.2bil...more like 500mil with rep sale
    but assuming that there is no rep sale, u can just get r4 chest+pan gu
    total cost is still ~500mil

but i'll say ok, lets assume than u need 1.2bil
    i'll take it one step further; spend 3bil on a wiz.
    get r9+12 everything, put dots everywhere
    go ahead.
    make a build that has the single target dps of a 5aps sin.

you cant.

yes it will be OP in pvp; yes it will probably solo delta
    but it wont make more $$ than a 5aps

unless the 5aps has +3 decides or something

what doesnt make sense is that ppl believe that restrictibg fists will solve the 5aps issue
    it wont, it will just make archers reroll sins and barbs bms.

See, this is my point.

You can spend huge amounts of coin, cash, or time on getting 5.0 (and that includes real world money too), and make a 5.0 OP. But you can't do the same with, say, a Wiz. Balance it by making the Mage classes equally OP.

I want to dump huge amounts of time and effort into my Veno and have it be massive OP death. Yeah, you can farm instances with a good Pet *coughHerccough*, but that's really about it. =\ Though I love the class, and will keep mine, but mine is getting restatted to arcane, and probably won't be going into TW ever again.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Ayainity - Heavens Tear
    Ayainity - Heavens Tear Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2011

I think its crazy that casters should have to spend that much money or time to just keep up with 5.00 aps. 500mil or 1.2bil is crazy..
  • TydelWave - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    So you're saying a sin or bm could but it would be insane for a caster to spend the same amount of time/cash or whatever to achieve the same results?
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I agree with the sentiment. I'd be interested in a test of your hypothesis.

My problem with 5.0 APS is just that it's kinda been done to death. If there were lots more alternatives that people were able to demonstrate as being equally effective, then I'd have no problem with it whatsoever.

I figure if the Devs have tested it and found it is indeed OP, then the most likely thing we're going to see is new and better equipment for non-APS builds, which would be an obvious and effective solution.

Who cares if a BM gets special skills or not? How is that in any way relevant to whether or not 5.0 APS is over-powered?

If a particular weapon is so OP that it's broken, restricting it to 1 class instead of 3 doesn't magically un-break it.

It would be like allowing an NBA athlete to play in a high-school basketball game, but then deciding, "oh, well that's OP, so we're going to change the rule so that only pro-athletes who didn't graduate high-school can play. Voila! Problem solved!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Ayainity - Heavens Tear
    Ayainity - Heavens Tear Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Read my post and stop trying to twist stuff. I mean its not casters leaving people with 5.00aps out of endgame now is it?b:questionb:laugh
    edited January 2011

A little problem here... Slingshots and Crossbows are class restricted to Archer, but Bows aren't. And nobody QQ's when there isn't an archer in the squad in FCC and I use a bow on my Veno to oneshot the hands, especially when a fail sin gets himself, the cleric, and me killed. Was magic that there wasn't a full party wipe.

Should bows be class restricted to Archer only? (I have mixed feelings about them, but I use a bow on ALL of my characters, except psy and cleric right now, so...)

And btw, a Barb with the starter bamboo bow is just epic. It looks like a toy...
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • TydelWave - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    Read my post and stop trying to twist stuff. I mean its not casters leaving people with 5.00aps out of endgame now is it?b:questionb:laugh

Wasn't trying to twist anything, your post said nothing about leaving anyone out of the endgame. I did read your post, that's why I asked what you meant.
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    PSY:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=04269ef833b2e56f
    average cost: over 3bil

average mattack: 21.8k
    average weapon dmg: 3.2k
    attack levels: 89+30+25 = 144 (armor, blessing, sage voodoo)
    average mattack sparked: 45.25k
    sparks: 3 times every min

sparked time: 36sec
    inactive time: 9sec
    normal time: 15sec

skills: spirit blast -> aqua imbact (Sage)
    sage masteries
    -18%chan

average dps unsparked:
    one loop:
    1.1sec chan -> 0.9sec
    2.9sec cast
    total: 3.8sec

damage:

dps: 44.9k/s

sparked damage: 313.8k
    dps: 82.6k/s

in 1min:
    damage:3.647k
    dps:60.7k/s

SIN:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=81f75908463ef868
    average cost..500m-1.2bil

average damage per hit: 14.95k/s
    dps (5aps): 74.75k/s

wanna include crits?:
    psy: 69.2k/s
    sin: 95.7k/s

ofc i hope that u noticed that the sin isnt wearing any armor that gives additional dex points or attack levels...

hmmm....

ps: yes i love calculating stuff :b
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2011
    PSY:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=04269ef833b2e56f
    average cost: over 3bil

average mattack: 21.8k
    average weapon dmg: 3.2k
    attack levels: 89+30+25 = 144 (armor, blessing, sage voodoo)
    average mattack sparked: 45.25k
    sparks: 3 times every min

sparked time: 36sec
    inactive time: 9sec
    normal time: 15sec

skills: spirit blast -> aqua imbact (Sage)
    sage masteries
    -18%chan

average dps unsparked:
    one loop:
    1.1sec chan -> 0.9sec
    2.9sec cast
    total: 3.8sec

damage:

dps: 44.9k/s

sparked damage: 313.8k
    dps: 82.6k/s

in 1min:
    damage:3.647k
    dps:60.7k/s

SIN:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=81f75908463ef868
    average cost..500m-1.2bil

average damage per hit: 14.95k/s
    dps (5aps): 74.75k/s

wanna include crits?:
    psy: 69.2k/s
    sin: 95.7k/s

ofc i hope that u noticed that the sin isnt wearing any armor that gives additional dex points or attack levels...

hmmm....

ps: yes i love calculating stuff :b

lol the "but 5 aps costs a lot" argument just got pwned
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Sure, I don't like the fact that aps rules endgame. But nerfing it would be like giving a kid a candy and then take it away. The people who have aps spend a lot of money to get there, so it would also be a bit unfair to not let them be able to farm endgame instances much faster.

I do think however that if you spend the same amount of time and money on any other class they should get at least near the damage of aps. Casters will not have the same damage for single targets, but do have aoe skills. And why not make an instance with the need of aoe's?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited January 2011

As sarra pointed out, fists/claws aren't the only weapon being used all... willy nilly by anyone and everyone. Granted that fist/claws are a lot more common of everyone using them, then bows are, or even magic weapons with no class requirement on them. It has become rather out of hand.

Even if fists/claws were limited to bm's only there are some very simple substitutes to put in place of the fists/claws, I.E Swords/Blades (single ones) with there 1.11 attack rate, some people could easily refine those, and still have 5.0 sparked... or very close to it.

Not to mention how pissed off it would make hundreds of thousands of players who specifically reset their characters to equip fists/claws for 5.0.

---

I tend to agree with the very first post made by the OP, there simply isn't an easy fix to the 5.0 problem, even the best ides are rather flawed. Some people think they have the best idea, but really when a lot of people are pointing out the flaws, then perhaps that isn't such a good idea you/they have after all. They change one thing about something, it could easily effect the rest of the game. *cough* bh 3-3/nirvana *cough*... no more changes that kill it for those who don't have 5.0. =x Kthxbye

I think my favorite idea that I have heard is to make demon/sage spark have a 30 sec cooldown, though obviously even it has it flaws, because it does leave those struggling to get anything done (I.E damn bh 3-3 boss) just that much more left in the dust. Argo, NO ty on that idea. =x

Also one more thing, I still say that 5.0 is indeed overpowered in pve... not so much in mass pvp, especially when mages have the element of surprise over bms/barbs. =x
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2011
    I think my favorite idea that I have heard is to make demon/sage spark have a 30 sec cooldown, though obviously even it has it flaws, because it does leave those struggling to get anything done (I.E damn bh 3-3 boss) just that much more left in the dust. Argo, NO ty on that idea. =x

I still support changing -interval to a % based system, therefore benefiting all weapons equally in DPS increase. It would lower Fist/claws current maximum speed while increasing that of weapons like bows and axes.

It would at least bring more variety instead of everyone wearing Deciedes :x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited January 2011

Ever hear of zhen parties? Or fishies? Or whatever? No, I guess you haven't. BMs used to also get lowest pick in the archaic 'sort mats by class' when TT used to be owned and run by venos. Yet BMs didn't complain as much as casters do now. It's the other way around and you hear massive QQ. It's quite funny to be honest.

An end-game BM was one of the worst classes to have before -interval gear. When a BM hit 100, they would reroll a veno so they could make money. Now everyone else rolls a BM or Sin to farm money. Oh my have times changed. b:pleased
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.