Share your techniques/Venos are NOT useless!!!

Solarnaru - Harshlands
Solarnaru - Harshlands Posts: 10 Arc User
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
This may belong in the class discussion, apologies if it's misposted.

DISCLAIMER: I know I'm not the best veno out there. This is not meant to be condescending. This is an attempt to open the eyes and minds of other players to the usefulness of this class.
tweakz wrote: »
As a veno, I could blame other venos for our lack of demand. Simple things like Amp timed with others like Ironwood, Tangling Mire or Extreme Poison can boost a squad's effectiveness dramatically. Most venos I've seen in action are a waste of squad space; when even a poorly equipped one can contribute to major gains. 5aps is no brainer: It's just hard to be 5aps and fail / lazy.

The above quote is from a different thread about 5aps. I nearly sh*t myself at the fact that there is someone who actually values a good veno. As a veno main I'm very tired of the common misconception that all venos are a waste, when there are actually some of us out there who think to do the things that make us useful. I do agree with tweakz that too many venos have no idea how to be useful in a squad, and I've noticed especially those with hercs develop a sort of a "my herc will take care of it and I'll spam venomous complex".

It's about time we show the other classes that we ARE useful, and to all you other venos I say: don't be set in your ways. Venos are meldable and able to do more than you may think.

I also think that pure arcane and pure fox builds diminish the overall usefulness and versatility of a veno. In my opinion the veno is the most versatile class in PWI. Being a jack of all trades, each area is somewhat lacking compared to other classes, but the ability to suit oneself to differing situations more than makes up for it. With self hp/mp heals, optional magic OR physical damage along with tactical and supporting skills, and pets with customizable skills, there's hardly a situation where a good veno isn't useful.

Another overlooked thing about venos is pet skills. A personal favorite of mine is shriek, which at lv 5 has a 100% chance to interrupt channeling, with only a 10 second cooldown. Now imagine this in the fb 59, where if attacking from a range all the bosses are magic users. Most mages can already tank this fb, but its things like this that make a veno in the squad useful and also makes things easier for the rest of the party.

I'd like to make this post about your veno techniques like the example above in an effort to educate more venos and advertise the reasons that venos belong and fit into any party.
Post edited by Solarnaru - Harshlands on

Comments

• Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    ..I've been mini ranting about that in the veno forum for a while now..

Venomancer is a class that attracts noobs who rush to 100 -.-. They take no time to learn the class and just give the good ones a bad name.
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    mine is light armor with interval... because you do get a lot more damage with fox form using the interval when it comes to bosses... or in the case of PVP interrupting casters.

Lets not forget Myriad Rainbow in addition to the Amplify Damage as Myriad has a chance to break magic and physical defense 100% and has a cool down of 20 seconds, if you have both the human and fox version you can do it every 10 seconds with the low cost of 20 chi.

There are also nice things like purge in general or AOE purge for TW. Granted sometimes that lazy veno in your squad is no more lazy than the BM that didn't HF... some of them are just tired so I'm no going to exclude that as a reason why some people "suck" because I've played half asleep before too and warned the squad (they wanted me in it anyway)

hercs do not function as a low budget tanking tool so I put howl on it to break magic defense to take some weight off the shoulders of that cleric everyone expects to heal and debuff... lol
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I was gonna make a thread like this for wizards, but I'd of just been accused of trolling b:sad

On second thought, I would be seeing how I have no argument as to why we're any more useful in a squad than the other classes b:cry

wait, shiny red electric circle skill is good for FC. Erm, thats it I guess. Oh and frostblade! lets not forget frostblade...
  • B_K - Sanctuary
    B_K - Sanctuary Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    ive always been a supporter of a veno being a support class. when i got sage lending hand i **** my pants at how past i could hand out chi. using the right combo of fox and human skills u can make a squad 10 times better than it would have been with a 5aps char in squad. i just had starting playing with the pet skills like shriek when i quit the veno to play this char, but even now i still find myself telling venos how to play, or giving tips. like in nirvana with the boss that spawns the mobs, USE HERC to kill them now u got everyone dding including ur self, u dont have to focus on amping so its damn easy to keep up! chi omg ppl LOVE chi, after a cleric puts up bb wait 2 sec then CHI them ull dave a squad wipe by doing so. chi the barb every so often most are too lazy to make their own. or a bm right after he sparks its a nudge to say HF u noob. venos u are sooo much better than what u all make urselves out to be. Please make me proud to call my self one of you again
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Spark passing.

We've got lending hand. We generate sparks quickly. We have no huge use for them ourselves.

If a veno is around, the cleric should always have sparks to set up bubble if it breaks.
    The tank should always have sparks. (Well, almost always, we can only pass them so quickly)

From the appreciation I get when I do pass sparks, I think it must be the thing most veno's forget to do the most.

Amplify damage, of course.

You'd be surprised how effective even a low-level befuddling mist can be when you're not tanking.

Keeping the tanks brambled, so easy to miss when it wears off, especially if they use alpha-male.

We can also drag more mobs in without breaking off from the fight. That helps keep a rolling squad going.
  • Arshies - Sanctuary
    Arshies - Sanctuary Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Sometimes beeing a good venomancer comes to knowledge and be comprehensive with other classes.
    I remind last day on a delta run playing my cleric when a lazy/rude venomenacer (I assume was a kid) was trying to taught all of us how to run delta when she/he denied to do the running quest, because she said: Im sage veno and I can't run -_-'' that kind of things makes, for sure, think other palyers that venos are useless.

So at Delta, I used to stay for first wave to lend 2 sparks on cleric because BB needs 2 sparks to cast. When I get back from running quest and chests I used to lend on barb after Invoke (2 sparks) so the barb can cast Sunder (2 sparks) for better aoe agro or cast invoke again if needs it. U can cast many skills helping with aoe, game is not just Noxious......,
    So my favourite combo on delta is: Fox: Myriad->genie: Bramble rage->Human: Noxious->Human: Nova, and start again.
    I like cast Myriad+Bramble rage first because I assume the BM is going to HF.
    And if someone else dies, lend when back to battle. Taking care to bramble tanks/melee classes and aoeing the archer mobs to avoid that the cleric gets the agro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Arshies - Sanctuary
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    ..I've been mini ranting about that in the veno forum for a while now..

Venomancer is a class that attracts noobs who rush to 100 -.-. They take no time to learn the class and just give the good ones a bad name.

That can be said of all classes, not just venos.

Also I thought that for a pet to have a lvl 5 skill it had to be lvl 80+ (for the exception of the herc, nix and a few other rares).

My veno uses both rank 8 arcane and HH90 heavy armor. I be the 1st to admit that it is versatile and I have a lot to learn still.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • Siege - Dreamweaver
    Siege - Dreamweaver Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Venos? Useless? LOL far from it matter of fact. I've seen some pretty damn good venos on my server. I've partied with one that could pull mobs in FC and take the damage like a barb and still deal insane damage. Venos in my opinion are the 2nd most versatile class in the game. They're like the Bms of the arcanes.

I only find clerics useless, I mean srsly who needs their crappy heals ROFL!b:laugh

jk dont kill me
  • WhiteVodoo - Raging Tide
    WhiteVodoo - Raging Tide Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    when the hell were venos considered under apreciated? what a useless thing to rant about.... yall can tank and damage deal both with magic and physical attacks. who the hell just thinks venos are worthless? people like venos not because they're looking to get to level 100 fast, it's because just as they are, a good veno is a full party just by itself. they got a ton of advantages, the first of which being they can tag team people, and the second being they can usually solo bosses.

if anyone actually says they hate venos and don't wanna party with them cause they're "useless" it's probly because a veno killed them in pvp and they're holding a grudge.

i'm not gonna lie, i can't wait till mystics come out, so instead of getting tag teamed, i can be the dam tag teamer, and put up a fight agenst venos, and hopefully kill acouple! not because i think yer useless, but because yer fckn awsome, and i'm sick of gettin pwned by your excellent nuking abilities while yer dam generic glacial icewalkers/volcanic magmites/petite sawflies punch me in the face/sting me in the eye.

ofcorse since they can heal a veno's pets aswell as their summons, i'll help the venos in my faction heal their pets in hard boss fights, but that's just because they're in the same faction

i <3 u neko and tig ^,..,^

so useless you are not, good in pvp with allot of enemies because of it you are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

light armor rules, and JOKERZz are the best. shaff, you meh dogg. Neko, you smexy redhead you, yer my favorite veno out there. Evo, yer straight up crazy. Lillie, thanks fer giving LA cerics a good name. hask, what can't you tank? Kyo, yer wizard biuld sucks, and yer obsession with aps annoys me, but eveni will admit, yer a frackin pro. Chick, our dad's would be great friends in rl, and we'd have so much fun messin with them. fer all the rest of the clan, *salutes* at yer service doggs.b:cool
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I think the reason the veno class gets abused alot, is because it's the easiest starting class, and its so easy to play a lazy veno, and some get used to this laid back method, and don't discover a veno's full potential. However it can be a challenge to play a veno the proper way.
    >.<
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Spark passing.

We've got lending hand. We generate sparks quickly. We have no huge use for them ourselves.

One thing from the 5aps vs caster debate is our dominance in AoE and the point that we should be moving more toward AoE style instance clearing. Nova, Myriad, Malefic Crush all take chi. A lot of clerics use BB to be lazy, and 5aps generates them as fast as they use them. At higher levels sages get Master Li's Technique, and skills that help conserve / create chi for themselves. Many will think that their chi is a priority over ours.

And then, an int build can't even dd better than a caster if the mob is kiting. -Stunning Blow takes chi. Then there's Ironwood.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    Kinnacat - Lost City Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I agree, venos are NOT useless:

It makes me rage when a frost squad keeps refusing me. Venos are good DDs, pretty high dmg and we have a pet to make even more. The skills we have have already been mentioned. (amp, myriad, lending hand, etc...)

All this to say, VENOS ARE NOT USELESS.

HERCS:

Oh come on, refused because I don't have a freakin' butt ugly herc? Want me to show you SS of a little Tabby Plumdrop tanking frost and HH bosses? I can do that. Hercs are a very good (and expensive I might add) tank pet. But they aren't the only ones. A lvl 80 Armored Bear with no modified skills can tank frost. A magmite can too (I add them even if I hate those walking piles of rocks, they bring back bad memories).

Aly, lvl 93 (soon 94) Tabby Plumdrop

Aly is a Tabby Plumdrop, rare pet. I tamed her myself at lvl 26, she was the first rare I ever tamed (very proud of that b:victory).

I buffed her with Strong, Protect, Reflect and Blessing of The Pack. Aly's mag def is 18k, phys def 16k, HP 3.3k, reflects 1.5k-3.5.k dmg depending what hits her. Her defense is as good as a herc her lvl. What saves a herc's butt is his HP. Yes, she has a bit less HP, but I got 90% of a herc with her. FB bosses are no problem, even 89 ones. (can't wait to try higher lvl FBs)

The skills cost me 75mill, but now with SoF/nix feathers being around 10k each last time I checked, a herc is around 100mill. The reasons I decided to overpower Aly are :

1- she now has 90% of a herc's power

2- less expensive

3- I love seeing ppl go WAHHHAAAAA THIS IS SO WRONG D:< (lvl 91 sins couldn't steal agro with demon spark, that made them rage. Some sins also hate it that she resists better than they do. Funny b:laugh)

4- way cuter than a herc

5- she shows ppl that even a little kitty can tank, no need for a herc (I hate those things btw)

All this ^ to say, A VENO DOESN'T NEED A HERC TO BE A TANK.

~If you wish you could use one of your pets all the time, ex: kowlin, shaodu cub..., just overpower it! b:pleased
  • NiaJade - Harshlands
    NiaJade - Harshlands Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    When there is no Barbs or Clerics to call upon to help someone, the Veno is usually the only one that can step in. The veno has two self-heals, as well as an additional skill to leech HP from the object (600 normal/800 Demon).

My veno is built so she can kill one mob, while the pet kills another, both air/water/land mobs and even in PVP situations.

If you have ever seen a veno do this, they can kill twice as fast because they time their heals with stuns, to toss their pet a heal. They make good use of their SP by leveling/adding pet skills to fit the situation.

For me - I lure, DD and protect the cleric. I also watch the barb or tanker, and if their hp begins to wane too fast, then I pull aggro and give it back once they recover some.

I also am usually the reason a near party crash, does not crash. I watch everyone, every movement and am ready to send chi to the DDers, Tankers, bramble before the 10 minutes buff wears off, and always keep an eye on the surrounding mobs.

I also know the movements of the mob, I know if I hit a runner with a stun, I jus set them into run motion. I know when to use human form and fox form both in PVP and PVE.

We are the Queen of soloers - and I doubt we can ever be replaced. We have both magic and physical attacks, buffs to slow/confuse/steal mp-hp/pull hp back to us/and slow down their hp regen. Many other skills but all around the Veno is the one that can adjust to all three armors, including variations between the three.

She can excel in either critical hits, casting or hard hitting magical attacks - she adapts.

I also agree with the other posters, the veno does not need a hercules to tank...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited January 2011
    I know I'm not the only one that feels this, but if you don't have a Herc; wth are you doing FF for? Hercs aren't wanted just because they can tank things other pets can't. They're wanted because they're a baseline for dps which only a small amount of pets can beat. Those pets often don't make up the difference from Reflect, and require more healing = less DD from you. If you're one of those venos who refuses to live up to what most other venos have: why try to impose yourself on others. Accept the limitations you choose by refusing to get a Herc.
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    Kinnacat - Lost City Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Mhmmm... Well, Aly loves to steal agro from hercs. She has the bad habit of stealing it while im not looking... >.>; Hercs aren't the only pet for FF. With Aly's buffs, I can DD and heal with NP. I also have -36% channelling. So our DD is good. I do FF to lvl. Are you saying every veno who doesn't have a herc shouldn't even think of doing frost?
  • tweakz
    edited January 2011
    *Barb doesn't want to wear armor because it's ugly: unwanted in squad for it
    *Cleric prefers to DD and doesn't think Purge is worth getting: unwanted in squad for it
    *Archer doesn't want to waste ammo, so they use fists: unwanted in squad for it.
    *Wiz sits and meds when out of MP: unwanted in squad for it
    *Veno doesn't want herc: squad doesn't want veno

-what's the big f'n deal? You act like it's the only class expected to meet certain requirements.
  • Solarnaru - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    when the hell were venos considered under apreciated? what a useless thing to rant about....

harshlands server. especially with all this hulabaloo about 5aps squads >.<

this was a broad topic, not directed at anyone except those who actually do underappreciate venos.

and I really didn't expect this....
    *Cleric prefers to DD and doesn't think Purge is worth getting: unwanted in squad for it
    *Archer doesn't want to waste ammo, so they use fists: unwanted in squad for it.

-what's the big f'n deal? You act like it's the only class expected to meet certain requirements.

seriously wtf >.<

venos DO NOT need a herc to be good. this is not to say hercs are not good, but that they are unnecessary. the best feeling i get in pk is killing another veno who has a herc/nix using my tricked out "free" pets. hercs and nixes DO have the best base stats, but while you're saving up for those everything else falls behind. I've chosen to wait until I've achieved other goals before beginning the grind for them. Comparing the "requirements" above is ignorance. Cue rebuttal.

Barbs:can wear fash if they dont want to show their armor. or their underwear.

Cleric: healing is generally a clerics job. obviously its a requirement in an instance. pointless arguement is pointless.

Archer: fists=no skills=less massive crits=less aggro stealing. an archer that always uses fist tho is hardly an archer. a veno w/o a herc is still a veno.

Wiz: this one would irk me as well, but its happened to all of us at some point. tell them to leave and buy pots while everyone takes a 3 min break.

veno: quite capable of dding w/o herc. veno owns herc, not the other way around.

not to mention all the other things you mentioned about other classed are included or required from lv 1 in order to use the class as it was intended and don't require the boutique and a$$loads of coins or cash.
  • Phrilly - Sanctuary
    Phrilly - Sanctuary Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2011

Not quite the same thing. In your example above, the Veno equivalent would be "Veno doesn't want a pet: unwanted in squad for it." The class-defining attribute for the veno is the pet. Not necessarily the herc, the pet. If a veno doesn't want to use ANY pet at all, then you have a point.

Go back, rework your example above, and choose a $200 cash-shop item for each of the other classes, and see if your post still sounds as good....
  • tweakz
    edited January 2011

Go back, rework your example above, and choose a $200 cash-shop item for each of the other classes, and see if your post still sounds as good....

It's obtainable w/o cash.
  • Solarnaru - Harshlands
    edited January 2011

this still does not make it a requirement nor a necessity.

actually tho without cash used at some point in time by any player SOF/NIX would be 100% unobtainable. only after someone has purchased these via zen does anyone have a chance to have them.

lets end the arguement with something im sure we can agree on- legendary pets can make a veno better. the point is they are not required to be a great veno.

let's please return to advice and tactics about playing the class.
  • tweakz
    edited January 2011
    this still does not make it a requirement nor a necessity.

Neither are all the examples I gave. Please troll elsewhere?
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    a herc rarely has a chance to even do much if anything in a proper FF squad... but back on topic advice : do not get demon ironwood if you do go demon... I mean it just has a 20% chance to 100% break physical defense however Myraid Rainbow does the same thing.. that and at least at level 10 you have a 100% chance to break for 30% which can be followed by Myraid which can be random... but hey you're going to cast that a lot more than iron wood anyway...
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    back on topic advice : do not get demon ironwood if you do go demon... I mean it just has a 20% chance to 100% break physical defense however Myraid Rainbow does the same thing.. that and at least at level 10 you have a 100% chance to break for 30% which can be followed by Myraid which can be random... but hey you're going to cast that a lot more than iron wood anyway...

the demon ironwood thing is a trade-off; a lower chance of a total armor break versus a guaranteed, but much lower, armor break becomes "worth it" if you routinely fight things with very high phys def --- such that you benefit more from that occasional, total pdef reduction than you hurt from the 80% of the time you don't get it.

what, you may ask, in game has such high phys def as to make this trade-off possibly worthwhile? well, other players, for one thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Foxxy_skai - Raging Tide
    Foxxy_skai - Raging Tide Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    The Venomancer was the first class I chose, mainly because I heard it was more of a solo class. Since I knew nothing about this game coming in (besides having other MMO experiences on me), I decided that a solo type of class would be a great class to start out with. After reading up on skills and what they do, as well as asking and learning from random people (and friends that I eventually met), I found out how to be a great veno. I always do support for the tanks/bms/melee people as much as I can when we fight bosses. Ironwood at the beginning, followed by myriad so MP isn't wasted, then fox form amp, myriad, etc, rinse and repeat, while DDing during cds.

Then, being a chi bank, I pass chi to any squad member that I know needs it, like someone who just sparked or a cleric who BB'd. And after effectively learning how to use a genie, and getting the timings right (as soon as I see a demon spark I instantly go to amp), I find being a support veno quite fun. Of course, this is all PvE, I'm still too new to this game to start going into the PvP areas.

But, I can understand what type of venos that bring shame to the class name. I've only met one so far that I squaded with that was completely reliant on his/her herc, sent it in without warning squad to bosses, did either:

NO DD at all and just amped, stayed in fox form waiting for the cooldown, then amp again, or just DD the whole time and no support skills.

She also didn't bramble any of the tanks/melee people either.. Those types of venos just make me face-desk..

Those are just some of my experiences with a veno :P Been playing roughly 3 months now.
  • Tearle - Dreamweaver
    Tearle - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Ironically enough, I got yelled at the other day for using Amp during a boss in bh51. Apparently using amp resets the aggro according to the barb .-. I just kind of ignored him.

Anyway! When I'm on my veno I'll amp when i see sparks used and pass afterward c: always love it when i'm on my bm and get sparks passed after I demon erupt.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Ironically enough, I got yelled at the other day for using Amp during a boss in bh51. Apparently using amp resets the aggro according to the barb .-.

...what is this i don't even...

lol. failbarb needs to roll a veno.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • WhiteVodoo - Raging Tide
    WhiteVodoo - Raging Tide Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited January 2011

-um, wtf type of idiot doesn't wear armor playin a melee class?

-cleric prefers to DD, um, yeah, they can be excellent DDs, and aslong as when the tank really needs a hand they pitch in and heal, i'm fine with them bashin some heads, but obviously they have ta heal abit, they're the only class with that wide a range of healing and defence spells. if they don't heal then the party dies, and if they refuse to heal at all, they are also an idiot, just like the barb that hates armor.

-if archers want ta use a melee weapon when the monsters get close then that's just smart decision making. if he does it the entire time, the squad might aswell have added a squishy fist bm and the archer is also an idiot, just like the barb refusing ta wear armor. he should also change classes to a BM...

-wizard sits down and meditates because he's outta mp. do you realize how much fckn mp a wizard's skills use? unless that guy is a full magic biuld that only uses a maxxed out water shield with wellspring quaff maxxed out aswell, and has a maxxed out cleric regain buff, he's gonna run outta mp!!! and even then, he still might, depending on how many other DDs the party has. my real question to you is this. before the boss fights, why isn't everyone resting up to reload their health and mana so ***** like that doesn't happen? if ya did that, maybe we wouldn't plop our asses down in the middle of a boss fight. not all of us buy gold, and not all of us are rich ingame ya know. some of us really don't have the money for pots. being the bored person i am and currently just waiting for the expansion to finally come out i'm leveling up my apothecary skill and making focus powders so stuff like that doesn't happen ta me asmuch on my mystic. however, some people don't have the time for that, some people would be kicked from their faction if they took some time ta level up their apoth skills and paused their leveling. luckily i'm not in that situation, but still, just some food fer thought...... oh, yeah, and JOKERZz rules!!!!!!!b:victory

as for the venos needing a herc to be good, man, go ta hell. my veno was only lvl 32, but ya wanna know what pet i had? and it's gonna sound dumb at first, but go out and try it before ya diss it. i had a lvl 32 verdent quigfu, that's right, one of the beetles at the starting area. i ahve since then deleted my veno cause i got sick of having a female character so i can't give exact stats, but i can tell ya it attacked at .80 per second, that i tricked it out with flesh ream, bash, tough, and its origional skill, boost, and i tell ya what man, it could tank just about anything, and i only say just about because i hadn't done any bosses higher than my level, but if i had the outcome would've most likely been me kickin their ***! my quigfu tanked every boss i needed, including krixxixx without a single problem or close call, and i was also an LA veno, so my healing skill wasn't quite as powerful as a magic veno's. and besides, wtf does our pet have ta do with our DDing capabilities? even if our pet can't, which my quigfu definately could, we still have an arsonal of magic debuffing spells including one that decreases defence so the tank can do more damage and hold agro abit better!!!

so don't even try ta tell me that i need ta spend real cash and get a herc ta be useful in a party!!! or have some generic pet like magmites like the other venos, cause me and my quigfu kicked their asses. and don't be an idiot and compare using a herc to these other standards you've dreamed up fer the other classes you mentioned, cause the ones for clerics barbs and archers, that was all just common sence, and the one for the wizard is lack of curtisy on your part. so yeah, a standard for a party invite is fckn common sence and common curtisy, and i think we can handle that, or atleast most of us can, right guys and gals?

so that is the BIG F'N DEAL, dude. any further comments on unspoken class requirements for getting a party? or are you just gonna take the easy way out and call me a noob and say that my opinion is a crock of ***** because only a noob would have an LA veno with a quigfu as a pet? if so, it's not like i haven't heard that a million times before, so again, go ta hell...

---on a different note, you wanted ta trade some tactics right? well here ya go. light armor veno with all the magic attacks maxxed out, bramble maxxed out, with a quigfu that has boost, bash, tough, and either flesh ream or a magic attack skill, which ever you prefer. for those who wish to try this, please note that unless you get an attack skill for a quigfu, altho it has a good attack rate and decent damage, it will not be able to keep agro with you attacking at the same time. get an attack skill for it as soon as you can tho and you'll find that with the amount of defence it has combined with the attack skill you gave it keeping agro, and it's boost skill supplimenting your healing that it is one of the best tanker pets on the game. and with light armor a quigfu biult this way, bramble guard, and the magic attack skills you have maxxed out, you and your pet will be, by yourselves, the most balanced and useful party on the game. i shudder to think what a full party of these venos with 1 cleric could do to the enemy in a TW. it would be a slaughter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

light armor rules, and JOKERZz are the best. shaff, you meh dogg. Neko, you smexy redhead you, yer my favorite veno out there. Evo, yer straight up crazy. Lillie, thanks fer giving LA cerics a good name. hask, what can't you tank? Kyo, yer wizard biuld sucks, and yer obsession with aps annoys me, but eveni will admit, yer a frackin pro. Chick, our dad's would be great friends in rl, and we'd have so much fun messin with them. fer all the rest of the clan, *salutes* at yer service doggs.b:cool
  • Morell - Lost City
    Morell - Lost City Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    my main is veno. but i played all other classes just to learn their skills well, at the very least.

i noticed some classes need more manual skill, meaning you need to know how to play your class and have some training in doing so. like cleric. veno is one of those classes but as it is quite easy to play mostly solo, ppl sometimes skip over the whole "what to do in a squad" thing.

bramble, lending hand and amplify damage, in my opinion are all incredibly usefull skills in a squad. I got myself a herc and went arcane. i can safelly say that i deal very good damage, i got myself hp stones all around so i m not so very squishy incase i steal aggro and even tho i have herc, i know that its not the herc playing the game, its me.

i think the problem is maybe just that veno s get very used to playing alone..
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I know I'm not the only one that feels this, but if you don't have a Herc; wth are you doing FF for? Hercs aren't wanted just because they can tank things other pets can't. They're wanted because they're a baseline for dps which only a small amount of pets can beat. Those pets often don't make up the difference from Reflect, and require more healing = less DD from you. If you're one of those venos who refuses to live up to what most other venos have: why try to impose yourself on others. Accept the limitations you choose by refusing to get a Herc.

Wow here you go again. You sure like to dictate to other how to play their classes a lot. A veno doesn't need a herc to be a good veno. I know Kinnacat and I have done a few instances with her cat, Aly and what she says is true. As she says an armored bear can be quite useful for those venos who don't want to grind their *** off like I did for 3 months like I did or pay $190 in gold to buy a herc.

I've also done Forgotten Frostlands with good venos who don't even summon their pets with great success. As for my herc, it does not hold aggro from mobs or bosses as other DDs do more DPS than my herc. Most of the time my herc is just another DD in Frost anyways. A common misconception about hercs is that they hold aggro like a barb and that can't be farther from the truth especially with APS classes. I have rank 8 gear and my herc is 1 level below me and I steal mob and boss aggro all the time with it. Oh yeah, when the herc grabs aggro from multiple mobs the reason they usually hold the aggro from our heals is because the mobs are taking DD from the reflect buff. Some mobs like archers or mag mobs won't take DD from reflect so we have to keep in mind that we will get the aggro from those mobs the herc hasn't done actual DD to just like a cleric does when s/he heals someone that has aggro'd mobs but did no DD to them to hold it. Every instance I go into when there is no cleric but just a few DDs I make a serious conscientous effort to warn them of that fact. Do not hit on mobs my herc isn't hitting or you will get aggro and do not out DD my herc unless you want aggro. LOL. Some of the most fun I have with these no cleric squads (best was FB 51 and TT) that they ignore my warning and see a group of mobs on the herc and for some reason the AoE and the next they they see is 3 to 4 mobs on them. They die quickly wondering wtf happened. Just some fun for me at least.

I have other pets that out DD the herc which would be a lot better DPS wise in a squadded instance with a true tank. With that said a herc is excellent for solo'ing mostly and sometimes as a back up tank if a barb or other class is tanking in a squad.

All it takes to be a good veno is patience to learn the class and all its abilities, precision use of those skills with timing, some strategy with some personality and a bit a creativity and knowing the abilities of the pets - no matter what pets they are. Kinnacat proved that to me.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • Phrilly - Sanctuary
    Phrilly - Sanctuary Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2011

hmmm. Okay. Apparently I wasn't clear enough, and I'll take that on as my failure to communicate properly.

In each of the examples you used, you made reference to the class's defining characteristic. Archer is ranged damage. Barb is tanking ability (HP/PDef and maxed aggro skills). Cleric is healing. Wiz is elemental damage. You apparently agree that the defining characteristic is not a single piece of gear, whether or not that gear is obtainable w/o spending RL money.

And yet, you single out the veno as requiring not only a single piece of gear, but a piece of gear that is ultimately ONLY available via the cash shop (as the feathers/forces must be purchased by someone from the cash shop, even if it is resold in-game).

As I stated before, and you chose to ignore this, the defining characteristic for a veno is a pet. Not a specific pet, but a pet that can get the job done. Ami I correct in assuming that you disagree with this statement?

Note that my veno DOES have a herc, and I'm not denying that it's a damned nice pet to have. But I certainly don't consider my veno to be useless if I don't pull the herc out of the bag, as long as I DO pull a pet out of the bag, an appropriate pet for the job at hand.