Aggro mechanics; tips..

Comments

• Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i , i dont believe u b:shutup

sry b:surrender
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Calanthia - Raging Tide
    Calanthia - Raging Tide Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Great guide, may I have permission to use this on my faction site?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Antiquity Recruting: PM Calanthia or WhiteBlaze for info/invite antiquitypwi.mmoguildsites.com/

Characters:
    BellaKitsune-Venomancer/Eirian-Cleric/Ralphina-Blademaster/ChastityHope-Archer/
    Calanthia-Wizard-Leader of Antiquity/Kiyoko-Assassin/Yuri-Psychic
  • Teeki - Dreamweaver
    Teeki - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i wish more people read this guide b:sad especially, do not run too far from cleric, they are slow (i am slow b:surrender)

and dd tip; generally, you are not allowed to play hero if you are too squishy (weak, low hp). But there is one case - when cler is about to be attacked. It is really better for whole squad if you die than him. And your sacrifice will be appreciated

i die so many times because people dont hit mobs they aggroed and i heal them or barb does not hit all mobs he has aggroed. i'm torn between the, "let them die camp" and the natural instinct to heal every milimeter of hp o.o
    Remember, some people are alive only because it is illegal to shoot them.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5635101001&dateline=1240242729[/SIGPIC]
    Perfect World International, customer dissatisfaction is guarenteed.
  • Pareee - Lost City
    Pareee - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Thank you for this guide. "pullin' aggro" has been a bit of mystery - all I know is don't do it... lol

anyway, if aggro is pulled away from the tank, the tank is going to do less damage to the mob? someone suggested a guide on what an aggro skill looks like - which would be helpful. If I watch my tank's hp/mp bars, and it's getting low, is that the right time to step in and start "pullin'"? In the midst of a fight, it can be hard to type directions at the same time.

In the best squads I've been in so far, there has been a leader who gets everyone ready for the fight ahead of time and give instructions. Otherwise it's a free-for-all. Most people have good intentions when they squad, but I can see a lack of coordination/knowledge is more dangerous.

thanks again!
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    A barb's main aggro skill is flesh ream, which looks like an explosion and gives a bleed status. His job isn't dealing damage (he'll probably do less damage than anyone else in the squad), it's to hold the boss' attention and absorb damage. His damage output won't drop unless he's buffed with a reflect skill (bramble guard, soul of vengeance.) Any other class (except for veno pets, who have some aggro-building skills, though not as good ones as barb's flesh ream and devour) holds aggro through damage output.

If you as a wizard see the tank's HP bar dropping, it's time for you to apply some morning dew to the tank... unless it's a magic boss (Calcid and Hercule in '39, any of the bosses in '59) in which case maybe you should have been tanking from the start.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The other big 'aggro skill' to look out for is one that looks like a white outline of a sword descending slowly into all of the monsters nearby. This is 'roar' and it pulls aggro onto the caster (either a barb or a veno pet) immediately. BUT it doens't put very MUCH aggro onto them - so you need to stop attacking for a second when you see it. Barbs use it to rescue people.
    edited January 2010
    @Calanthia
    mkay =3

@Teeki
    on later lvls, when u will squad more often with good toons u may try to take a risk and heal those ppl who aggro'ed mobs badly (didnt hit etc).
    mob's attacks are kinda slow (their channeling take some time after all) so u will be able to put 1-2 heal there. ofc mob will put u on his hate list but he cant just stop channeling (casting spell) and attack u instantly. those few short seconds is often enough time for u to heal victim and for barb/bm/veno to aggro mob.

it s risky tho and not recomended in random/low lvls squads :3

@Pareee
    u mean trying to save tank when his hp is low by taking mob/boss off his butt?
    i wont recommend that coz if u are squishy then boss will one-two-shot u prolly and cler may aggro with heals then
    and if u 2nd barb or bm in squad then it s still problem for cler coz our heals are bit slow (and fastest IH still needs to be stacked to work well) . so yea it will take some time before we will be able to heal u effective.. (thats why clers hate aggro ping-pong).

maybe -after all- ping-pong is better than tank's death and wipe out xP but usualy if barb die tanking it means too weak barb or cleric (and it s better to solve problem by replacing/adding tank or cler )
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

• Teeki - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    @Calanthia
    mkay =3

@Teeki
    on later lvls, when u will squad more often with good toons u may try to take a risk and heal those ppl who aggro'ed mobs badly (didnt hit etc).
    mob's attacks are kinda slow (their channeling take some time after all) so u will be able to put 1-2 heal there. ofc mob will put u on his hate list but he cant just stop channeling (casting spell) and attack u instantly. those few short seconds is often enough time for u to heal victim and for barb/bm/veno to aggro mob.

it s risky tho and not recomended in random/low lvls squads :3

@Pareee
    u mean trying to save tank when his hp is low by taking mob/boss off his butt?
    i wont recommend that coz if u are squishy then boss will one-two-shot u prolly and cler may aggro with heals then
    and if u 2nd barb or bm in squad then it s still problem for cler coz our heals are bit slow (and fastest IH still needs to be stacked to work well) . so yea it will take some time before we will be able to heal u effective.. (thats why clers hate aggro ping-pong).

maybe -after all- ping-pong is better than tank's death and wipe out xP but usualy if barb die tanking it means too weak barb or cleric (and it s better to solve problem by replacing/adding tank or cler )

Most times I can see when I'm getting aggro or can anticipate me getting aggro so I'll heal myself. Then again, there are still those "oh ****" times where I'm glad I have apoc pots and if worse gets to worse, guardian scrolls :P But why does it always have to be me who has to go to town to revive everyone b:cry No fair!!
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5635101001&dateline=1240242729[/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    D: yea kinda

btw, at ur lvl (sry, didnt noticed ur that high) exp loss = 1% so maybe u shud re-think if u rly need GAs (u get few % just from dailies still)

i dont use them even now (0.6% exp loss)

just rez scrolls coz 'towning' takes too long

edited February 2010
    edit: added genie part

• Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Para writes guides? How did I even miss this?

If you hadn't constantly whined to me about the majority of this guide already, I would have learned something. However, having known you since you were a cute little newblet askin' for help, I've eventually heard most of this from you in game. XD

Good guide, though. =P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Para writes guides? How did I even miss this?

If you hadn't constantly whined to me about the majority of this guide already, I would have learned something. However, having known you since you were a cute little newblet askin' for help, I've eventually heard most of this from you in game. XD

Good guide, though. =P
    yep, im allowed to be smartass here and noone kick me from squad b:pleased

curently i live in cleric forums where i smartass off all the time and even use math to back up my statements (somebody should tell people there that i bearly completed math in high school tho :3 ).

ohhh, and lately i was insolent enough to write guide in barb's forums b:chuckle

and you wouldn't miss it (1st part of guide is from november o0) if you wouldn't flood general forums all the time :P

ty btw b:victory

• tukiyem
    tukiyem Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    a very nice guide
    May I translate it in Indonesian language, so i can share this guide for PW Indonesia players?
    b:beg
  • _Garra_ - Harshlands
    _Garra_ - Harshlands Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I should add that Zeal Genie's are another Luring Technique ... u might want to add that in ur tips

but very well done
    edited April 2010
    @tukiyem

yes sure, tho this guide is updated sometimes

@_Garra_

there is genie part on bottom b:chuckle

• Teeki - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    I've got a question about the genie aggro skills; I know that earthflame is used to aggro single mobs, but are there other skills that can be used in place of earthflame? Everyone has a gold genie and I want a pink one b:sad
    edited April 2010
    i know that ppl used 'celestial sword' skill (ehhh did i just made up that name?..) to lure too, tho it was long time ago (before 'big nerf') so prolly it dont work anymore

edited April 2010
    major edit vel bump b:sweat

• tukiyem
    edited April 2010
    @tukiyem

yes sure, tho this guide is updated sometimes

@_Garra_

there is genie part on bottom b:chuckle

b:thanksb:thanks thanks for the permission
    wait for this before start translating b:pleased
  • tukiyem
    edited April 2010
    done translating.

here's the link : translation

thanks so much Paramedicb:thanksb:thanks
    edited April 2010
    np

tyi i ll add some more info about genie skills in near (or maybe not so near - me lazy ) future

• ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I've got a question about the genie aggro skills; I know that earthflame is used to aggro single mobs, but are there other skills that can be used in place of earthflame? Everyone has a gold genie and I want a pink one b:sad

you could have a pink genie and a crappy zeal with earthflame.

Para, nice (updated) guide, is that blue thing in the secod pic a sin? b:laugh
    btw i think that psy can also get healing aggrob:sad
    see, all your aggro are belong to usb:sin
    edited April 2010
    yea, that blue thingy is sposed to be sin b:chuckle

and about healing aggro, i think that any aoe skill (including buffs, and except few genie skills) generates aggro

tho, maybe i shud add some info 'bout fish classes. but they kinda still big mystery for me. i just know about black&white vodoo thing, and bout reseting aggro by going invisible.. and maybe that throwing knife may be used to lure (?)

if u have some aggro-related tips for fishes, then plz add few

• Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Pretty much any skill draws aggro from the surrounding monsters, yes.
    The rare exception is something which debuffs the monster without dealing any damage.

(Which pretty much is JUST eathflame nowadays)
    edited April 2010
    not rly. debuff aggro

but buffs dont

• magicbear
    magicbear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    This is a great guide for us all.

Just a note from a friendly cleric... when forming a squad for BH's... please remember each class has it's place.

I joined a squad a while back, only to realize the leader had 4 Archers, 1 Psy and myself.
    -not pretty... and they all got ticked when I asked if there was a Tank around b:laugh
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    magicbear wrote: »
    This is a great guide for us all.

Just a note from a friendly cleric... when forming a squad for BH's... please remember each class has it's place.

I joined a squad a while back, only to realize the leader had 4 Archers, 1 Psy and myself.
    -not pretty... and they all got ticked when I asked if there was a Tank around b:laugh

squad for what? and what do you mean by "asked around" ?
    even if it was a squad when a barb/bm would be required, asking in the common chat when the squad is full is rude
  • Rawing - Sanctuary
    Rawing - Sanctuary Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    IH question:
    If I cast IH on someone and that person aggros some mob after that - while IH is still active - can I get aggro'd?
    Sry if someone asked this question already, I've skipped reading pages 5+6 coz it was abit off-topic b:surrender
    anonymous: LMAO!
    Rawing: your **** fell off.
    =====================
    Don't call assassins "sin". They're more like "****". But neither sounds good anyway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PS: Don't use Photoshop. Use GIMP. It's free. And the result can be seen above.
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    IH question:
    If I cast IH on someone and that person aggros some mob after that - while IH is still active - can I get aggro'd?
    No. You only get heal aggro if you cast the heal on someone that already has a mob attacking them with less "hate" than your heal generates. The heal-over-time effect itself does not trigger any heal aggro.
  • Rawing - Sanctuary
    Rawing - Sanctuary Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Good, at least clerics aren't completely hated by mobs b:victory
    anonymous: LMAO!
    Rawing: your **** fell off.
    =====================
    Don't call assassins "sin". They're more like "****". But neither sounds good anyway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PS: Don't use Photoshop. Use GIMP. It's free. And the result can be seen above.