Do you still like FTP MMORPG?

Options

Comments

• WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I still enjoy the game, but like Michael_dark and others have said this is probably going to be my first and last MMO.

When I first started I was impressed by the sales model. Almost everything in the cash-shop was about convenience and ascetics, with only a few items (charms and refining) being directly about making your character more powerful.

But that all went out the window at some point. Sure, I may have done very well as a free-to-play merchant, but even I can see the frustration of the rest of the players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Tamakaze - Heavens Tear
    Tamakaze - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I still like PWI. Yeah, it has a cash shop, but some other P2P games (L2) that I have played, was about $15 a month to play. Did I enjoy it? Sure did, how long did I play it? Three years. Was it "Equal", not in the least bit.

The game I was in had rampant bot/farmer problems. Not only did it not have instances, it was open PVP on all servers. Mind you I sorta enjoyed killing bots, but you really can't say anything to them because they only knew Chinese. Other than the farmers taking over your grindspot/mat farming area, the ones that got ahead of the crowd were either extremely lucky (remember, no cash shop in this game) or they simply bought in-game gold with real money.

So if cash shoppers get ahead of you here, imagine how you would feel if you had to deal with 3rd party farmers to be "equal." Besides, me spending money on this game keeps it free for everyone else to play. And if you're really hard up for cash, just get a bunch of characters to level 51 and do the whole Tideborn quests. Gives about 800k coin for a day's worth of flying around.

As far as other non-mmo games, I bought a Wii...wasn't happy, traded it in for a black one...just because it's black. Same for the Xbox 360...just got a new one because the black ones look cooler. Next is a PS3, just because...it's black! And. Halo..Alan Wake, CoDMW2...etc. Those are all good games too. :D
  • peacefulsilence
    peacefulsilence Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Doubt I'll ever play ftp or p2p after I'm done pw. P2p just isn't for someone like me who plays irraticly, jsut feels like squandered money when I can go days or weeks without playing sometimes. And ftp, while there are the one time pays without shops like Diablo 2, but ones like those are a dying breed. Ftp's simply have obliterated economies and unbalanced player bases. And quite frankly PWI is the worst I've ever seen.

Fixing problems and free use improvements (Like villas) always seem to take a back seat to adding new profiting content. And the worst part is this behavior is encouraged by the paying players who play. Because they'd rather buy that shiney new outfit rather than withhold their money because a glitch or lack of game updating prevents them from progressing in the game. The return of anni packs was the last nail the the coffin for this game, not because of the Devs or the GMs, but because of the players.
  • MagicWaffle - Sanctuary
    MagicWaffle - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I voted no, FTP just has too many PTW and glitches which are very annoying.

I am currently chilling in PW and waiting for GW2 to come out :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Name-level/class-faction
    MagicWaffle-71 Wizard-BlackOath
    Kyrozoan-84 Barbarian-None (retired)
    Vertebreaker-55-Seeker-None (retired)
  • Searing - Dreamweaver
    Searing - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I voted no. This will be my first and last mmorpg.
    I'm just waiting for D3 to come out.

Same here. I used to love this game, now i kind of like it maybe (habbit of playing here more than anything else...), but when D3 comes out i'll gtfo of PWI faster than you can blink.
  • NonameWiz - Sanctuary
    NonameWiz - Sanctuary Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    To answer the OP's question: Yes, I still do.
    Rank 8 Wizard: 1% farm b:shutup
  • Qlngfu - Archosaur
    Qlngfu - Archosaur Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    yea i will most likely try out another game but i will avoid games where you need to abuse the cashshop to do annything at higher lvls..
  • PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear
    PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Me not. I would rather pay ~20$ every month and have equal chances for all players to get gear based on my(their) hard work, than just buy it from item mall.

<snip>

You don't have chance to survive and have fun at the end of game without HARD cashshopping. I'm kinda sad. I lost more than year and 1/2 playing this game. I think my time here is gonna end soon.b:cry

^That! And so much more... I don't have time to write the book though.
    There's no such thing as a "Perfect World" full of Jade, diamonds, gold, and other riches and treasures. There is only an imperfect world, with an imperfect society, full of imperfect people, with imperfect idea's about how to be perfectly rich and perfectly perfect. No one cares about being perfectly kind, perfectly fair, or perfectly content.
    It's a perfectly sad world.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    but when D3 comes out i'll gtfo of PWI faster than you can blink.
    I used to be all eager to keep up to date on all the latest news about D3, but then Torchlight came out.

If the major designers of D1 and D2 jumped ship and decided to make a new game that totally rocks and is pretty much D2.5, what does that say about whoever got left behind and put in charge of D3? Probably bad things, so I'm no longer optimistic about D3.

Instead, I'm now eagerly waiting for the on-line version of Torchlight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yes and No.

Yes because i like playing FreeToPlay. because i still LOVE MMOs but being a working class now as opposed to my college days, I cant play when i want and as much as i want. Being able to fill that gap using the money i earned makes it somewhat worthwhile. It also sucks not being able to catshop when you sleep cause the 'rulers of the house' nag u about electricity bill >.>;;

also

No. Because my previous game was a subscription game. And in those games, the pple who showed skill, endurance, and worked hard, got the best of things. The more effort i put into my subscription game, the more it gave back to me and i was very satisfied. It was a direct effort=gear/loot/fame world. Sad thing tho, the game chose the time for you and if you werent free for most of the time, you missed out on instances. I realize now that these pay to play effort based games are severely limited in terms of time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I used to be all eager to keep up to date on all the latest news about D3, but then Torchlight came out.

If the major designers of D1 and D2 jumped ship and decided to make a new game that totally rocks and is pretty much D2.5, what does that say about whoever got left behind and put in charge of D3? Probably bad things, so I'm no longer optimistic about D3.

I must say...I recently started playing Torchlight and it's great fun!
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    we have searched the internet for a game as good as PWI, and still cant. but there are so many problems here that its making the game harder and harder to play without buying cash shop items (off the shop or ingame). and now with the nerf of the DQ items, its going to be miserably hard to make money enough to manage.

BUT, with all the problems, its still the most beautiful game around, and the only one that fits what i am looking for in a game. so its a real tossup. if PWI went PTP, if they were to get serious about fixing things, etc, i think our family would get more serious about playing again. but PWI is still home to us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    GW is also a free to play game... GW2 might be b:dirty

GW2 will be free to play as well.I was a beta tester.I think all MMOs should be free just have to buy the game.

@tweaks if you want this done then put out some money.
    I'm not deterred by f2p, but am deterred by profitable glitches being introduced or left unfixed.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • LeLelle - Sanctuary
    LeLelle - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    So we've seen some confessions of what people are spending. Then there are other instances that are left to the observer: catshops with 245 corals or tiger packs for sale. How about the one with 4 figures worth of tokens? One needs to do the math here and translate to RL money. I think it is good that people are moving beyond the denial stage.

Comparison of game quality to that of a subscription based MMO is valid. As is comparing the money spent.

And what about the money spent? I've heard that someone had a good year, last year. So for the obvious question: where is the money going? The last major content update was a bit lacking. In fact I don't even recall what was in it.

Is anyone holding their breath for this summer's promise of 'major changes'?

ps: PWI P2P? From a profit standpoint that would one of the worst business decisions anyone could possibly make.
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    where is the money going?

1 - In the stockholders' pockets (even tho the value of PW's stock dropped from 49$ to 30$ in a 6 month period).

2 - to develop other games.

I also have the feeling PW's developpers are first trained on older games like PW, and are then moved to newer projects when they made their proofs. Which is probably why major bugs are never fixed here : the devs don't have the skills to fix them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Searing - Dreamweaver
    Searing - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

Idk, we'll see. I played Torchlight for a few days, but i didn't experience the awesome atmosphere of D1 or the good gameplay of D2 (longest time i ever played a game -> 5 years online + 1 year single player). Torchlight was kind of too easy, maybe an online version will change that.

In any case, D3 is a title they can't afford to **** up as expectations are enormous throughout the world. New team members might also bring fresh ideas to the table which is why i remain optimistic
  • Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear
    Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I really enjoyed playing PW when I started a year and a half ago, it was all new and interesting to me, as this is the first MMORPG I've ever played. The players were happy, it was really fun and I made lots of friends here. I always worked hard to get something and earn enough money to buy a mount or new fashion, and afterwards I felt great because I had achieved something. Cash shop was great, because it added nice and useful items in the game but you didn't need them to succeed. Everything was well balanced.

And then everything changed (you know, when the packs came and all those sales). By every day it became harder and harder to earn money and keep up with the other players. I met someone who had got all sorts of fancy stuff in seconds, but I'd worked really hard to get it. I kinda feel sorry for those people who put that much cash in games, they probably don't have anything real to spend their money on, but it also annoys me to see that my efforts are nothing compared to that. Also, I didn't (and still don't) understand how people started leveling up that fast all of a sudden. I saw people going from 30 to 60 in 2 weeks, from 60 to 80 in less than a month, and they said that they never used oracles to level. It took me a week to go from 80 to 81, and all that week I spent playing almost non-stop as I was ill at home, never gonna happen again. Every day all the same stuff all over again, this isn't a game anymore, seems like a boring routine that you have to follow. In my opinion (and this is a bit off topic but anyway) there should be more quests in high levels, not less, and not so much dailies and no items that make leveling go super fast. I don't see what I'm doing wrong here, but really, I don't care either. If that's what it takes to get somewhere in this game, waste tons of cash and spend more than 10 hrs online every day, forget it, I'll go find something else to play cause this isn't what I call fun. Most of my friends have quit already and others are hopelessly addicted to the game. Actually, I'll try out Forsaken World, hope it will be different.

I'm really disappointed in the people who changed PW, why not make it P2P in the first place? I'd never started it then because I won't waste real money on imaginary game stuff. So in conclusion I have to say, I like F2P games a lot, but not that kind of F2P PW has changed into. It really isn't F2P anymore, more like free to play, pay to enjoy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaintDominic - Sanctuary
    SaintDominic - Sanctuary Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The way PWI is turning out now I was thinking of going back to my pay to play game called Dark Age of Camelot (if anyone knows this game). Awesome Realm vs. Realm game, which I think is way better than PWI's faction vs. faction >.> .
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I really enjoyed playing PW when I started a year and a half ago, it was all new and interesting to me, as this is the first MMORPG I've ever played. The players were happy, it was really fun and I made lots of friends here. I always worked hard to get something and earn enough money to buy a mount or new fashion, and afterwards I felt great because I had achieved something. Cash shop was great, because it added nice and useful items in the game but you didn't need them to succeed. Everything was well balanced.

And then everything changed (you know, when the packs came and all those sales). By every day it became harder and harder to earn money and keep up with the other players. I met someone who had got all sorts of fancy stuff in seconds, but I'd worked really hard to get it. I kinda feel sorry for those people who put that much cash in games, they probably don't have anything real to spend their money on, but it also annoys me to see that my efforts are nothing compared to that. Also, I didn't (and still don't) understand how people started leveling up that fast all of a sudden. I saw people going from 30 to 60 in 2 weeks, from 60 to 80 in less than a month, and they said that they never used oracles to level. It took me a week to go from 80 to 81, and all that week I spent playing almost non-stop as I was ill at home, never gonna happen again. Every day all the same stuff all over again, this isn't a game anymore, seems like a boring routine that you have to follow. In my opinion (and this is a bit off topic but anyway) there should be more quests in high levels, not less, and not so much dailies and no items that make leveling go super fast. I don't see what I'm doing wrong here, but really, I don't care either. If that's what it takes to get somewhere in this game, waste tons of cash and spend more than 10 hrs online every day, forget it, I'll go find something else to play cause this isn't what I call fun. Most of my friends have quit already and others are hopelessly addicted to the game. Actually, I'll try out Forsaken World, hope it will be different.

I'm really disappointed in the people who changed PW, why not make it P2P in the first place? I'd never started it then because I won't waste real money on imaginary game stuff. So in conclusion I have to say, I like F2P games a lot, but not that kind of F2P PW has changed into. It really isn't F2P anymore, more like free to play, pay to enjoy.
    Forsaken world will be the SAME. If it has item mall and it's free by the time it will be same like here. I'm looking forward to GW2. It look amazing and you pay just once for CD. Every one has same chances there. ;-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Candie - Raging Tide
    Candie - Raging Tide Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I came here from Eve-Online , there's an option to pay for another month with ingame money . Player who has bought time-card sells it in game , for ISK , pretty much like PW cash-shoppers sell gold . So , players who spend real money for game will always be more rich than non-cashshoppers , no matter what game it is .
    Though Eve combat system is another story , Even if you're playing since the very start of the game , you're not guaranteed to win against newer player
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thanks for you opinion. But my point you will see at the end of game. Where PvP should be your main goal and major fun. Then you will see, that your hard effort or playing time was absolutely useless comparing to hard cashopper.
    The main problem in this game I see, is that we are not equal to each other. Game with cash items became VERY unbalanced and it killed fun for small cashing or noncashing players.
    The problem, again, is limits.

Currently to get +12 refines only on all equip you need like, what, 40k dollars without a sale? LOL.

This game has some of the most absurd prices & numbers, both cashshop-wise and ingame-wise, I've EVER seen.

And I'm not talking about the price of a 1-star Dragon Orb. No. I'm talking about the recursive combining effect at the jewelcrafstman. It's absolutely ridiculous.

The "limits" in this game are absurdly high. Completely.
  • SaintDominic - Sanctuary
    SaintDominic - Sanctuary Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The problem, again, is limits.

Currently to get +12 refines only on all equip you need like, what, 40k dollars without a sale? LOL.

This game has some of the most absurd prices & numbers, both cashshop-wise and ingame-wise, I've EVER seen.

And I'm not talking about the price of a 1-star Dragon Orb. No. I'm talking about the recursive combining effect at the jewelcrafstman. It's absolutely ridiculous.

The "limits" in this game are absurdly high. Completely.

I totally agree on the absurd high prices on refining. I admit that I'm very scared of pking because there are OP geared players out there who can one shot me. b:shocked PVP is totally unbalanced.
  • Ewen - Harshlands
    Ewen - Harshlands Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I voted yes. I never use money for MMOs, so I never get to experience p2p games. In f2p games I also get to see how good I do against those cashshoppers and I've usually done good :p The thing I hate though are bots, which happily haven't landed to PWI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig made by me. Seems that the forums change the quality of the picture a bit. b:sad
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    1 - In the stockholders' pockets (even tho the value of PW's stock dropped from 49$ to 30$ in a 6 month period).

You mean PWI is a public company on the Dow Jones or the San Francisco Stock Exchange.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You mean PWI is a public company on the Dow Jones or the San Francisco Stock Exchange.

http://quotes.nasdaq.com/asp/SummaryQuote.asp?symbol=PWRD&selected=PWRD
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

I would like to see if the stock prices changes based on expansions, packs, ect.b:chuckle
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I would like to see if the stock prices changes based on expansions, packs, ect.b:chuckle

yes it does. Monitor last Septembers stock..and you can see.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Also, I didn't (and still don't) understand how people started leveling up that fast all of a sudden. I saw people going from 30 to 60 in 2 weeks, from 60 to 80 in less than a month, and they said that they never used oracles to level. It took me a week to go from 80 to 81, and all that week I spent playing almost non-stop as I was ill at home, never gonna happen again.
    um.... back in the days before the first anniversary packs it only took me a day or two to get to 80-81....and i work too... so that part i think is not the game but yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i still like free to play when its fair. i played a game for a couple years that was fair, sure it had cash shop.. but people were easily able to obtain in game coin by getting lucky drops to buy cash shop items.. and nothing sold in the cash shop was game breaking. but we all know perfect world isnt free to play... i mean sure you can be free, make litte cash, have simple items, and act like you can compete with someone who anni packed their way to uberness... but in reality.. no.. no you can not compete with that.
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • Egaenil - Heavens Tear
    Egaenil - Heavens Tear Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Me not. I would rather pay ~20$ every month and have equal chances for all players to get gear based on my(their) hard work, than just buy it from item mall.
    Yesterday I was in dragon temple event. I'm almost lv. 101 and I have no chance to survive. 1 player still killed me always and always. So I checked his gear. Of course all gear +10 with nirvana pants. All gear filled up with +2 def shards. And weapon +12 shimbaranco.
    Conclusion? You don't have chance to survive and have fun at the end of game without HARD cashshopping. I'm kinda sad. I lost more than year and 1/2 playing this game. I think my time here is gonna end soon.b:cry

b:laugh find it's very funny, OP once stated once i get to lvl 100 i will pawn all the **** that wrong me b4, i will do this this and that that. LOL sounds to me just a massive QQ, end game isn't wat u think b:chuckle yet to see u turn white yet to see u pk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"wink wink"
This discussion has been closed.