Client Crash on skill use.

Saitada - Sanctuary
Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Support Desk
I don't know if anyone else has this problem since the patch but... When I try to cast any skill, my client crashes. It also randomly crashes w/o warning. So far since I have tried to do anything after this patch, I have had 7 crashes. I can't attack any mobs with skills. I can't heal my pet. I can't do much of anything at all except stand there and look pretty.

*note*

I can summon and unsummon my pet, mount and go into foxform and even use summer sprint and that's it. Any other skill use, including teleporting, cause the client to immediately crash.

Last crash produced this little gem when I tried to heal my pet...

bugscreen.jpg

I am currently running a verify on the client.

~Saitada
Post edited by Saitada - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Wraith_Lynn - Dreamweaver
    Wraith_Lynn - Dreamweaver Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    For what it's worth you can get past the main Client screen.

I have downloaded the patch several times, verified the files etc etc and every time I try and get into the game I get a Message:

Could Not Launch Game everyt ime I hit the start button
  • eternalnab
    eternalnab Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    its cause u are using winXP :P
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    eternalnab wrote: »

Probably. I might just have to suck it up and install 7.

~S
  • razorback08
    razorback08 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010

No its not, Im using windows xp and my character works fine, been playing for 3 hours now and never crashed. I even tryied my low level veno to see if it was just that class and that also worked fine.

Guess it just some unlucky few
  • DrDrakken - Lost City
    DrDrakken - Lost City Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i'm lagging unusually nao b:shedtear

Edit: crashed while using Bell x.x(another edit: crashed again outsde west arch x.x)

**** crashing while logging in now o.o
    [SIGPIC]T.T[/SIGPIC]
    (best i could do T_T)
    b:cryYou were the best CM everb:cry

August 12 - I'm officially 15 b:pleased
  • Vexille - Harshlands
    Vexille - Harshlands Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Seems the new update bring us some more funny bug/glitch....
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    This appears to be an issue with XP or XPPro. I am on our Vista machine and have no problems.

*edit* I just tried Saitada on my Wife's XPpro machine. Same graphics card, same ram type. Different mainboard and processor. No problems at all so the issue appears to be specifically with my machine. I am going to troubleshoot this and see if I can determine the problem.

~S
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Moved to Tech Support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eternalnab
    eternalnab Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    well u can always google Microsoft.Windows.7.ULTIMATE.x64.OEM.DVD-BIE.iso
    =)
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    andracil wrote: »
    Moved to Tech Support.

Thanks Andracil, I was going to suggest this be moved here now that I have determined that it is a machine specific issue I am having.

~S
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    well u can always google Microsoft.Windows.7.ULTIMATE.x64.OEM.DVD-BIE.iso
    =)

Just ordered a copy of windows 7 from Tigerdirect. I was originally going to put it on our laptop and get rid of Vista. I might put it on my machine instead.

XD

~S
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Ok I found out what my problem was and corrected it.

I have an on-board sound card that recently got fried, I disabled it until my new sound card gets here from Tigerdirect. When I re-enabled my on board sound card, I stopped crashing. I didn't have this problem with the sound card disabled causing the client to crash prior to this patch.

Soundcard is a C-Media CM6501 with current drivers.

~Saitada
  • Jekk - Sanctuary
    Jekk - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Ok I found out what my problem was and corrected it.

I have an on-board sound card that recently got fried, I disabled it until my new sound card gets here from Tigerdirect. When I re-enabled my on board sound card, I stopped crashing. I didn't have this problem with the sound card disabled causing the client to crash prior to this patch.

Soundcard is a C-Media CM6501 with current drivers.

~Saitada

Ok here's the thing...I'm not having a client crash with my sound card enabled...I just get randomly disconnected from the server. So we were having two separate issues.
  • Jekk - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    andracil wrote: »
    Moved to Tech Support.

Awesome...the only response we get to any of this is a MOD for moving a thread...
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Ok I just disabled the sound card on our Vista laptop. As soon as I cast heal pet, the client crashed. The issue appears to be directly sound related. Previously I logged into the game on the laptop and had no issues or problems. I was able to play normally. As soon as I disabled the sound card, the client goes butt up.

So now we know the direct cause for at least some of the issues at hand.

Darthpanda... Your task if you should choose to accept it, is to get on the horn with China. Yank them by their beards and make them figure out wtf is going on here!

~Saitada
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    Nukesrus - Harshlands Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Have you tried disabling in-game audio from settings? I play with all my sound off in order to listen to music and I haven't encountered this issue.

This may help those of you with busted or disabled sound cards until we get a fix. :\

Can you verify if it's just venos or every class, Sai?
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    In game sound has been disabled, and enabled with the sound card disabled and enabled. The only time the client crashes on skill casting is with the sound card disabled.

This occurs on my Veno, my Assassin and my Blademaster. It happens on both my XPpro desktop and my Vista laptop, but only when the sound card is disabled.

~Saitada
  • Jekk - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Ok so don't disable your sound card...however many of us are still having the issues listed HERE
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    edited February 2010
    @Sai:

That's the oddest thing I've ever heard. I'm gonna try to replicate this later, as I'm now incredibly curious.
  • Jekk - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    @Sai:

That's the oddest thing I've ever heard. I'm gonna try to replicate this later, as I'm now incredibly curious.

EDIT: Jekk, make your own damned thread. Hijacking is frowned upon.

My post concerns something completely different. Saitada was helping me with my problem.
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    edited February 2010
    You've already got a thread for your issue, but yeah, you're right. Hence, I edited my post.
  • Jekk - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Guess I'll do the same...we're grown ups here. Lol
  • Apothys - Harshlands
    Apothys - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    b:victoryHey Guys,
    thanks for the hint on sound driver b:victory

i just had to update my sound driver and game stoped crashing on me when i used actions but i dont know about disconnecting problems. Think your sound card has to be enabled and problem in patch is sound related. b:angry b:angry

hope this helps
  • implode3
    implode3 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    When I re-enabled my on board sound card, I stopped crashing.
    Good call :D I've got 3 comps, my main 2 running Vista and Windows 7 (64 bit) have been perfect... my old clunker running XP with no sound card which was previously rock stable (cos I leave it full screen all the time, never alt-tab or similar... use for shop and such) since today's update was crash-crash-crash-crash >>

Dug out sound card, plugged it in, and (so far) has been perfect!

Bet as soon as I post this its going to crash isn't it xD

BTW, can anyone private msg me about how I change my name on the forum to my main char name and edit the avatar? I click the avatar button and only get ? portraits - is this supposed to list your chars out so you can pick one?
  • Koltrast - Sanctuary
    Koltrast - Sanctuary Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Just wanted to confirm, I have the same problem and the same solution.

I have up to date drivers, it's a laptop, i can't change the soundcard.

Even changing the sound quality settings makes it crash.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You can send us a ticket to Tech Support here: http://support.perfectworld.com/ticketing
    after reading this: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2005612&postcount=33

We'll take a look at your system and see what is going on hopefully, ok? b:pleased

I appreciate you all trying to help each other. I've been working with others who sent in their tickets to try and narrow this down to fix for you all.

Some notable fixes so far for players:

-Uninstalling VOIP programs (voice communication over the net) and see if the audio issues still occur. If they don't, then try an older or younger version of that software and see if the issue occurs again. Check their forums, and help documentation/website.

-Running VOIP programs as "Run as Administrator".

-Running the game as "Run as Administrator".

-Checking Vista and 7 volume settings per current running application, adjust accordingly.

-Updating DirectX 9.0c on XP. (the last DirectX 9.0c update came out in Sept 2009).

Updating Windows up to the latest service packs.

Updating your soundchip/motherboard drivers. (sometimes from the motherboard/system manufacturer, sometimes from the sound chip manufacturer.)

This may sound weird, but updating your video drivers can help too.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
This discussion has been closed.