Why do attacking classes gain more energy as they lvl?

Options

Comments

• XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Alright, got my stats.

The answer: Because skills climb up in cost as they are leveled up.

My 67's cleric total mana is 5587 (vit build). Plume Shot (140mp), Cyclone (144mp), Ironheart Blessing (229.5)

Average MP per spammable skill: 171.166~
    MP Percentage: ~3.06%

Lv89 BM. Total mana: 1784 (+5mag on Cuisse of Sea Captain). Spammable skills Highland Cleave (157.5), Fissure (170.1), Drake Sweep (142.8, not maxed, shame I know).

Average MP per spammable skill: 158.8
    MP percentage: ~8.9%

However, BM CAN dish out damage without skills... but skills are meant to be used. Now imagine if I had no extra mana, not sure I could even pull off a single skill. If anything I say we need more mana per level up >_>. Forgot how much it is for BMs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • RainKilganon - Lost City
    RainKilganon - Lost City Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have enough trouble keeping BoA up on my archer thanks b:surrender
    "I'm in the Dark, I'm alone around you. I've been here before, nobody here to get me through. Oh, I'm losing my faith in every way, That points to you, I'm in the dark." <3 The Birthday Massacre
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That is not the same as attacking classes don't need the extra energy and I corrected it look above.Clerics or castors do need the extra hp.

why would clerics and casters need extra hp. i saw nerf them and let them run around with 1 hp and 1 hp only. and for the sake of enlightment... archers have THE highest mp burning skills.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Here is a little idea I'm going to throw out here:

If you don't like a thread, don't post in it, flaming is highly unnecessary. Don't do it.
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

If you don't like a thread, don't post in it, flaming is highly unnecessary. Don't do it.

but how else will people learn x-x
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Archers consume 400 mp per second using BOA and thats just at lvl 3. Lvl 3. Which is attainable at lvl 65. Imagine if an archer only had 1000mp. You'd get barrage of arrows for like 6 seconds before it shut down b/c the MP charm ticks wouldn't be fast enough.
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

Fair Enough.

"I disagree with the OP".

RedMenace

\I only run a barb, a veno and a cleric, so it's the only classes I venture opinions on
    \\don't argue about archers, wizzies, BMs or Tideborn, cause I don't run em
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • wtvdie
    wtvdie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i think what he is saying is that these so called "attack" classes should be forced to have 200+ magic to balance out the need for clerics to have 30 or so stats to vitality.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    wtvdie wrote: »
    i think what he is saying is that these so called "attack" classes should be forced to have 200+ magic to balance out the need for clerics to have 30 or so stats to vitality.

That makes no sense what so ever.
    b:dirty
  • wtvdie
    wtvdie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That makes no sense what so ever.

exactly. this thread makes no sense.
  • Shredclaw - Sanctuary
    Shredclaw - Sanctuary Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Why do attacking classes gain more energy as they level?I have noticed that I made up another Archer which is at lvl 19 with 451mp.I have a sort of main one which is lvl 39 with 845 mp.The lvl 19 only has 5 in mag and the lvl 39 only has 3 in mag.How come the the lvl 39 has more even with less magic?I figure it is by lvling up

I wanted to do this as experiment as I originally put 20 mag in my lvl39 Archer for flying with elven wings.I restated and now has 3 in mag.

I would prefer attacking classes didn't gain any energy as they lvl up.

This would be Archers,Barbarians,Bladmasters and Assassins.

Without the added mp per level, barbs could not use skills because of the mp cost. That means no flesh ream, so no holding aggro against cleric heals or DD damage. How good of an idea is this?

It also means no skills for the bm or archer, and so those classes would be pretty much worthless.

Not really the best idea, IMO.
    I used to wonder why I would have these scary dreams every month. About the wolf, who kept running through town. And as I wondered, I also thought about how I couldn't remember having those dreams before being bitten by this very big dog...

But now I know the truth.
    And I am not afraid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    wtvdie wrote: »

Clerics don't "NEED" vitality. They aren't forced at all in any way to put points on vit. They might choose to, but don't need to.

VIT isn't a requirement of any kind for anything in this game other than insane amounts of HP. Even barbs don't have to use VIT. Its not needed for any weapon, gear, or craft items.

I think what she's trying to say is that she doesn't feel its fair that other classes get MP other ways than putting points on magic. What she fails to see is she'd be pretty upset if she had to put points on Mag to make her weapon work and then put points on STR to get more MP. An attribute a magic user doesn't need.

But this is exactly what she's asking the rest of us to do.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    but how else will people learn x-x

I am old enough to know more than you from the examble of this thread.I simply asked simple question and you all jumped on me.I guess if other want to use spirit charms or keep buying pots then go ahead.I simply asked question which was taken was way out of porportion to all. I would reread your posts and think long and hard about what you said.

I have had the worse flamewars and I can give it back to.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Meeplk - Harshlands
    Meeplk - Harshlands Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ^ is so wrong >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

magic mmmb:dirty
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ^

Learn to grow up.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Archers consume 400 mp per second using BOA and thats just at lvl 3. Lvl 3. Which is attainable at lvl 65. Imagine if an archer only had 1000mp. You'd get barrage of arrows for like 6 seconds before it shut down b/c the MP charm ticks wouldn't be fast enough.

*facepaw* that be impossible right there lol...
    you sure you be an archer?
    BoA level 3 = 360 MP every THREE seconds = 120 MP/Second.
    b:surrender
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sylvani - Raging Tide
    Sylvani - Raging Tide Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    This thread made me lol irl.

As to op: not a good suggestion, for reasons already stated ad nauseam.
    "I don't love you as if you were a rose of salt, topaz/ or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:/ I love you as one loves certain dark things/ secretly, between the shadow and the soul."
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I am old enough to know more than you from the examble of this thread.I simply asked simple question and you all jumped on me.I guess if other want to use spirit charms or keep buying pots then go ahead.I simply asked question which was taken was way out of porportion to all. I would reread your posts and think long and hard about what you said.

I have had the worse flamewars and I can give it back to.

to be fair, very few people (myself admitted) actually flamed you if you go reread those posts. most just disagreed with you. you did not just ask a question, you said

"I would prefer attacking classes didn't gain any energy as they lvl up."

like because you have to meditate and burn charm, you felt entitled to want to **** over other classes to intolerable proportions.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Pinkiny - Raging Tide
    Pinkiny - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Only thing i can say to OP is.
    successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

Because i think trolling is the only thing she intendet with her post.
    I dont buy it for a second a lvl7x would seriously come up with those toughts.
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That is not the same as attacking classes don't need the extra energy and I corrected it look above. Clerics or castors do need the extra hp.

I beg to differ. I need the HP in order to survive and make my squad survive. As well as to be able to take hits on my psychic and veno. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Only thing i can say to OP is.
    successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

Because i think trolling is the only thing she intendet with her post.
    I dont buy it for a second a lvl7x would seriously come up with those toughts.

Not true. Check her/his other posts.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Why do attacking classes gain more energy as they level?... This would be Archers,Barbarians,Bladmasters and Assassins.

If the game were balanced so that attacking classes did not gain energy reserves from leveling, then mp potions would be way overpowered for us and our costs would be far too low and our regeneration would be far too quick from +mp/second gear.
  • Ashendal - Dreamweaver
    Ashendal - Dreamweaver Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Why do attacking classes gain more energy as they level?

I would prefer attacking classes didn't gain any energy as they lvl up.

This would be Archers,Barbarians,Bladmasters and Assassins.

Basically you want to make PW into almost every other game where there are melee and magic type classes. Basically you'd turn them all into, "Me R melee warrior. Me smack enemy around with pointy object till it ded." That's not how this game is, and I'm quite glad. If you want something like that play another game. Just because melee type classes get mana doesn't mean that their bad. It means they can get skills that do more damage since they aren't taking a penalty for "extra damage without cost."

If you want to make them totally different add another stat, put in a new bar for something like "Effort Points," and have melee classes use that for their mana. If you want Barbs to be able to tank, BM's to be able to stun lock, and Assassin's to DD, then they need something to balance out their attacks. Mana's all we got so you need to live with it.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    to be fair, very few people (myself admitted) actually flamed you if you go reread those posts. most just disagreed with you. you did not just ask a question, you said

That is right I said I would prefer a state of fact a matter of opion.
    Orignally Posted by Skybelle
    I beg to differ. I need the HP in order to survive and make my squad survive. As well as to be able to take hits on my psychic and veno
    Did I say castor classes.

Spoons should of locked this when he made his post.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Spoons should of locked this when he made his post.

Why? Because people disagree with you and rightly so? Because you can't handle the fact you really did suggest something particularly ridiculous and can't stand the fact everybody has pointed out - perfectly reasonably 90% of the time - why your suggestion sucks so much?

Sorry. Your suggestion would still have been a bad one whether Spoons locked this or not. Frankly, you need to listen to the people telling you your suggestion fails... because they're all right.

Don't worry about it though, we're all human and make rubbish suggestions sometimes. But don't run around saying this should have been locked just because everybody disagrees with you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ephemerai - Sanctuary
    Ephemerai - Sanctuary Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ... Why would you prefer that?

I eat more MP pots on my sin than I do on my veno, and my veno is a caster. o_O
    I also eat more MP pots than HP pots... x_x

The game would suck if all melee classes had was... autoattack. Every melee would be like the other with except of things like attack speed and hp/defense... and appearance. And that'd basically be all we'd have if we didn't have mana bonus via leveling, cause it'd be impossible to use skills of any kind with a miniscule mana pool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I don't need energy as I lvl. Just give me some manapoints b:bye
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • AngelaMarie - Heavens Tear
    AngelaMarie - Heavens Tear Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    1) People of Sanctuary, please have your Furnace checked out - I think you have a Carbon Monoxide leak over there of EPIC proportions. There *can't* be enough Oxygen over there to form coherent thoughts.

2)"Attacking Classes"? How do you think clerics kill mobs - smother them with kindness? Do barbs kill mobs by the sheer stench of wet fur? Sweet Jumpin' Jeebus on a Rocket-Powered Pogo Stick, but you're dense.

OMG! That is the funniest thing I've seen all day! b:laugh
  • Kiryn - Raging Tide
    Kiryn - Raging Tide Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That is right I said I would prefer a state of fact a matter of opion.

There might have been less flaming and/or confusion, if you'd posted the rest of your idea. Like "I would prefer attacking classes not gain energy as they level. To make this work, all their skills should cost a set amount."

Something like that. Without that second part (how you would balance the loss of energy), the idea doesn't really make much sense. (Well, or "I would prefer attacking classes not gain energy as they level. I don't think they should use any skills when attacking." Not that this would make much sense either. /shrug)

Basically, nowhere in your posts have you responded to the fact that "physical attack" skills cost more energy to use as you go up in level.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    BUT one injustice is here.
    When is melee class killed, he respawn and he can continue killing without any problem, because he doesn't need mana.(so much to attack).
    BUT when I'm killed(mage), I respawn and I cannot attack or just few hits, because every my attack needs mana and after respawn I don't have enough. Magic classes should respawn with much more mana than they have now.
    Example. In event dragon temple I have huge disadvantage in comparing to another classes. Because after death I cannot start attack immediately but others can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]