Max Magic Stats

CaitSidhe - Harshlands
CaitSidhe - Harshlands Posts: 12 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Venomancer
Just wondering how much is too much Magic?

I searched the forums and found nothing.

Thankies :D
Post edited by CaitSidhe - Harshlands on

Comments

• truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    You have too much magic when you can 1-shot all of your opponents with anunsparked and unbuffed venemous scarab while they aren't debuffed in any way.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    truekossy wrote: »
    You have too much magic when you can 1-shot all of your opponents with anunsparked and unbuffed venemous scarab while they aren't debuffed in any way.

There's no real maximum on magic - the more you have, the better your spells are, the more mana you have, the faster it regenerates etc. etc.

But you don't actually need more than 300ish (297? 395? Around there) for your top magic weapon, so you could stop there I guess.
  • Jellytops - Heavens Tear
    Jellytops - Heavens Tear Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The highes eq in this game atm, reqs 314 mag or something if I remember right. The "normal" weps stops at around 297-300. there are weps that needs more mag, but they are either not in this game yet, or the lvl req is above 105.
    *-*-*When I wears my flashing sword and my hand takes hold on judgment. I will take vengeance upon mine enemies and I will repay those who hate me. Oh lord, raise me to thy right hand and count me among thy saints.*-*-*
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The first Nirvana weapons have a 300 mag stat requirement, while the recasted ones have a 285 mag req. If you're playing a build that has restrictive stat requirements to equip your other gear such as LA or whatever, I would suggest that you stop around one of those 2 marks. If not, then going past 400 mag isn't a problem. Of course there are other factors such as if the level cap raises and such but this should give you the general idea of what to expect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I'm at 489 mag and don't feel it's possible to have too much.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Sadpuma - Heavens Tear
    Sadpuma - Heavens Tear Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Im in argeement with tweakz. Just like how some believe you can never have too much HP, it is also impossible to have too much magic.

Of course its a balance that each of us decides on our which is more important. But if youre asking when is too much, thats up to you.

The only things people will really say is that if you are arcane min dex is all you need (1 more than min is too much) abd for strg imo no more than what is needed for gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited January 2010
    I'm pure mag, and slant towards +mag gears. There's still a lot of room for improvement on pet healing, mp recov, max MP, matk. The only thing I feel is sufficient from mag is mdef.
  • CaitSidhe - Harshlands
    CaitSidhe - Harshlands Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Thanks everyone for your answers, so pretty much, once you get to 300 do what you like eh?
  • CRYSTY_III - Sanctuary
    CRYSTY_III - Sanctuary Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    @Tweakz
    if your magic is to high and you have a +ed weapon you'll steal agro from pet and you might be need to ...ruuuun lol b:laugh.This isnt good.If you solo a boss in a cave you might be need to run around or circles till pet will get agro again if u dont have roar pet skill b:chuckle.Good luck b:victory , to much magic can be dangerous lol b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] srry about my english, im sure you'll get the point what im trying to say b:chuckleb:bye
    Happy Holidays ! b:victory
  • tweakz
    edited January 2010
    @Tweakz
    if your magic is to high and you have a +ed weapon you'll steal agro from pet and you might be need to ...ruuuun lol b:laugh.This isnt good.If you solo a boss in a cave you might be need to run around or circles till pet will get agro again if u dont have roar pet skill b:chuckle.Good luck b:victory , to much magic can be dangerous lol b:laugh

That's more a matter of learning your class. Sage Soul Degeneration reduces max HP by 20%, Amp: +20-25% more dmg, Sage Ironwood reduces pdef by 40%. These 3 skills will generate very little aggro or contribute to your pet's aggro and by the time they're performed: the pet should have sufficient aggro. Some may choose to get or keep Roar on their pet as well. Multiple applied skills on a pet does wonders for aggro. If I'm soloing a boss, unless it's Djinn: there's going to be too much healing / reflect damage for me to ever gain aggro. In the case of Djinn, it would be very difficult to steal from a Vericose Scorpion with Claw, Bash, Flesh Ream and Howl on a [?] mob or boss.
  • _Lyra - Lost City
    _Lyra - Lost City Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Lets not bring demon/sage skills into the discussion b:shutup.

And while its true that you will NEVER take aggro from your pet on a [?] mob, remember that 99% of the mobs in game do not fall into this category. In other words, it is very easy to steal aggro from your pet with a full mag build, especially if you don't have a legendary nix/herc.

Aggro issues aside, its not a matter of having 'too much' magic, but rather not enough points invested in other skills. Full arcane venos with 5 vit may nuke like a wizard (not really b:surrender), but they'll also be unbelievably squishy. Also, a lot of advanced veno builds (light armor, heavy armor, heavy/arcane) require a large portion of your skill points to be allocated in str and dex as well.

So all in all, YES there IS such a thing as too much magic for venos
  • Sadpuma - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010

Totally disagree... I mean it is personal preference but i highly doubt that a pure mag veno is going to do much PvP, unless their gear is refined high.

Pure mag usually is used for PvE purposes and as Tweakz has already said, you need to know how to play your char. You need to know how your pet takes and keeps aggro. Ive seen venos triple spark and start barraging the mob then wonder, "why in the world cant my pet keep aggro?" Going pure anything may restrict what your char can do (pve, pvp, self-tank, etc), its just a matter of choice.

Of course going pure vit imo, is one of the worst things you can do bc you wont attack hard enough, your heals will suck, etc. There is a balance that you must play in order to put your points into vit. But not so with magic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited January 2010
    Aggro issues aside, its not a matter of having 'too much' magic, but rather not enough points invested in other skills. Full arcane venos with 5 vit may nuke like a wizard (not really b:surrender), but they'll also be unbelievably squishy. Also, a lot of advanced veno builds (light armor, heavy armor, heavy/arcane) require a large portion of your skill points to be allocated in str and dex as well.

People who make huge mistakes like using a Cape of Tauran Chieftan are likely to feel that pure mag is too squishy. Those who know to shard with Garnets, refine for HP, use swap equips for def/ hp etc aren't so hindered. For all things PvE, pure mag is fine if not much more efficient.
  • Jellytops - Heavens Tear
    Jellytops - Heavens Tear Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited January 2010

I have to agree to this. You CAN have too much mag! If you put so much points into mag that you don't have enough str for armor/weps b:bye

Ok, seriously now. I think it depends on what you're doing. If you're out in the forrest/beach/sky, whatever, and killing mobs, or anything else than alot of [?] mobs, I actually think you CAN have too much. The agro will be a huge problem, and after a while I think it could get kinda boring to grind. Send pet --> wait --> wait --> heal --> atk --> atk --> wait --> wait --> heal -->wait..... Anyone getting my point? Ok, I'm aware that by this time, the mob will be dead! But what about elites/bosses that are not [?]?

It could be that I'm missing something here, but don't think I'll miss my points that I've put into vit...
    *-*-*When I wears my flashing sword and my hand takes hold on judgment. I will take vengeance upon mine enemies and I will repay those who hate me. Oh lord, raise me to thy right hand and count me among thy saints.*-*-*
  • tweakz
    edited January 2010
    Send pet --> wait --> wait --> heal --> atk --> atk --> wait --> wait --> heal -->wait..... Anyone getting my point? .

Yep, learn your class.
  • Dioica - Sanctuary
    Dioica - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    tweakz wrote: »
    People who make huge mistakes like using a Cape of Tauran Chieftan are likely to feel that pure mag is too squishy. Those who know to shard with Garnets, refine for HP, use swap equips for def/ hp etc aren't so hindered. For all things PvE, pure mag is fine if not much more efficient.

I thought fox form arcanes would have accuracy issues?
  • tweakz
    edited January 2010
    I thought fox form arcanes would have accuracy issues?

Two misty forest rings give me +12 vit, patk +106, and +50% x2 acc in addition to 250% from Sage Fox. Refined to +4 yields +232 pdef which sage fox form adds 150% to. A Perfect Alabaster in weapon adds +80 Metal Dmg (and only cost 100k). A pure mag fox can still do some nice damage especially at lv.77 when the rings become avaialable. Fox form is also a lot about curses like Sage Soul Degen for (-20% max HP), Amp, Befuddling Mist (saves on pet healing down time), Leech (saves on self healing / mp recov down time), Stunning Blow (saves on chase the mob down down time). Curses like Soul Degeneration, and Amp disregard your patk /matk but do use MP (which is better for pure mag).

Often for mag resist mobs, I don't bother switching to the misties. I still have effective accuracy from the Fox form +250% and I get a little dex from equips.
  • Sadpuma - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    I have to agree to this. You CAN have too much mag! If you put so much points into mag that you don't have enough str for armor/weps b:bye

Our argument is based on the assumption that you can wear your current level armor.... when someone says they are pure mag, that means they put ALL points available into mag EXCEPT those needed to wear gear...

Please follow a conversation and not try to be a smart **** before trying to add to it :-/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Of course going pure vit imo, is one of the worst things you can do bc you wont attack hard enough, your heals will suck, etc. There is a balance that you must play in order to put your points into vit. But not so with magic.
    imagine a light armor build going arcane and using all those extra str/dex points in vit. if light armors are ok with damage/heals why should vit be worse? also vit is caped at some point and all you do is mag/str
    now, i have no idea if you ever pvp on that server but vit arcane its the cheapest and well balanced build for pvp
  • Sadpuma - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    kenlee wrote: »
    imagine a light armor build going arcane and using all those extra str/dex points in vit. if light armors are ok with damage/heals why should vit be worse? also vit is caped at some point and all you do is mag/str
    now, i have no idea if you ever pvp on that server but vit arcane its the cheapest and well balanced build for pvp

Yes, i guess i should have re-iterated my previous post where i said that you cant have too much magic or vit...

I only referenced magic bc the previous person decided to be a smart allec and say you need some points in vit/str to wear stuff and putting too much into magic shouldnt be done.

And finally, yes I do PvP and IMO a balance of vit/mag is best for PvP (arcane of course). Going pure vit is NOT the best or well belanced for PvP. You said 'vit arcane' so I'm assuming you mean putting your extra points into vit AND mag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xkat - Dreamweaver
    Xkat - Dreamweaver Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    It's not a matter of having too much. It's more along the lines of being able to spread out your attribute points. You can't have 400 magic with only 5 vitality.

Point is, it doesn't matter how fast your mp regen, magic attack and mp when your HP is very little to none.

Best thing to do is cap out your str required to wear your weapon and once you're done with that try to put 2 attribute points in vitality every level, then again, that's just me. What ever works out for you.
    My words of advice, lower down your expectations so that you wont set yourself up for disappointments. Expect low, aim high.

xkat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Amarah - Dreamweaver
    Amarah - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I'm at 489 mag and don't feel it's possible to have too much.

489.... Should I bother to ask how much hp you have? If you plan on being a all-around job do NOT and I repeat do NOT pump your magic above and beyond requirements. Is there a limit? No, not an actual game limit on your magic but as far as gameplay goes of course there is. No offense but 489 magic is b:chuckle and I would NEVER recommend you ever get this much. What is the point of doing I dunno lets say a ton of damage if you barely have enough hp to take a couple blows from a single mob/boss/or another player in game? This build is by far a 1 SHOT.

You wanna be balanced and not throw all your attributes one way. Enough str required for your weapon which on magic is 54 @ 100 (tt weapon). Enough magic for your weapon also which is 300 @ 100 (tt weapon). The rest of your points should be distributed evenly into vit and magic as you would like. I prefer you put vit enough that is satisfactory to you and if you feel like pumping up damage/pet heal a little more then throw some extra into magic. The choice is yours.

Once again there IS a LIMIT on magic. If you follow someone with 489 magic and they dont think its possible to have to much, please look otherwise for advice in the posts. My build personally consisted of 3 vit every 2 lvls, str used when needed if I got a new weapon, and rest to magic when needed. Hope this helps and goodluck!
    b:dirtyProperty of xkat. I Love you baby, always.
  • Xkat - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Darn I missed tweakz's posts! At 100 I only have 380 magic with only 316 vitality. I played around with my attribute points and gave myself this;

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee223/taboo-gie/xkatstats.jpg

The damage was great but i decided to restat back to my old one which was this;

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee223/taboo-gie/xkatstats2.jpg

My damage is still reasonably good and still be able to have 9k hp.

Personally, magic is no good without the hp to back it up with. With my current hp I can tank TT bosses without having my charm tick (if I am charmed which only happens when I decide to turn white named) until herc takes back the aggro. 10k damage is useless if you have very minimal hp unless of course you have all your gear refiend to +10 giving you that oh so extremely generous hp bonus then you are good to go.

Anyhow, if your reasoning behind having all the magic you have for pet heals I suggest you start using channeling gear. Amarah has about -54 channeling and has a lot less magic than you have and he is still far more than capable of healing his herc when we duo TT3-2, 3-3's and world bosses.

Pet heals is not a good enough reason to have so much magic when -channeling is your best friend... unless of course you're a veno who is extremely opposed to channeling then... yeah... lol.

All in all, it's all about balance and as you mentioned, knowing how to play your character.

Note, stats shown are without buffs
    My words of advice, lower down your expectations so that you wont set yourself up for disappointments. Expect low, aim high.

xkat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited January 2010
    489.... Should I bother to ask how much hp you have? If you plan on being a all-around job do NOT and I repeat do NOT pump your magic above and beyond requirements. Is there a limit? No, not an actual game limit on your magic but as far as gameplay goes of course there is. No offense but 489 magic is b:chuckle and I would NEVER recommend you ever get this much. What is the point of doing I dunno lets say a ton of damage if you barely have enough hp to take a couple blows from a single mob/boss/or another player in game? This build is by far a 1 SHOT.

You wanna be balanced and not throw all your attributes one way. Enough str required for your weapon which on magic is 54 @ 100 (tt weapon). Enough magic for your weapon also which is 300 @ 100 (tt weapon). The rest of your points should be distributed evenly into vit and magic as you would like. I prefer you put vit enough that is satisfactory to you and if you feel like pumping up damage/pet heal a little more then throw some extra into magic. The choice is yours.

Once again there IS a LIMIT on magic. If you follow someone with 489 magic and they dont think its possible to have to much, please look otherwise for advice in the posts. My build personally consisted of 3 vit every 2 lvls, str used when needed if I got a new weapon, and rest to magic when needed. Hope this helps and goodluck!

^^ Someone ignores defense, and makes a lot of presumptions and invokes authority. I'm not even using the latest equips and I can take quite a bit of hits phys or mag from same level mobs. When I was squadded for Belial my HP bar went down no more percent than the others that told me I'd die with less than 4k HP (they had over 5k). The main difference is that my HP bar recovers faster from BB/Chromatic (which is better?).
    Xkat wrote:
    Anyhow, if your reasoning behind having all the magic you have for pet heals I suggest you start using channeling gear. Amarah has about -54 channeling and has a lot less magic than you have and he is still far more than capable of healing his herc when we duo TT3-2, 3-3's and world bosses.

That's far from then only reason I gave which makes me inclined to think you're trolling. -54 channeling burns your MP even faster when you already gimped yourself on MP/ MP recov. How often do you see someone with low MP using Myriad Rainbow in PvE outside of RB? I see plenty of venos avoiding Fox Form and shortchanging squads on Amp, and Ironwood as well. No surprise when they're following Barb build advice.

You can criticize the pure mag build all you want, but for PvE you can't come up with any practical limitations to using it. Of course this is where people complain that it costs more, yet ignore the costs and downtime of the other builds. Charms, pots, genie stamina, slower grinding, -all ways that other builds throw coin / potential coin away to compensate for not being pure mag.
  • Xkat - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    ^^ Someone ignores defense, and makes a lot of presumptions and invokes authority. I'm not even using the latest equips and I can take quite a bit of hits phys or mag from same level mobs. When I was squadded for Belial my HP bar went down no more percent than the others that told me I'd die with less than 4k HP (they had over 5k). The main difference is that my HP bar recovers faster from BB/Chromatic (which is better?).

That's far from then only reason I gave which makes me inclined to think you're trolling. -54 channeling burns your MP even faster when you already gimped yourself on MP/ MP recov. How often do you see someone with low MP using Myriad Rainbow in PvE outside of RB? I see plenty of venos avoiding Fox Form and shortchanging squads on Amp, and Ironwood as well. No surprise when they're following Barb build advice.

You can criticize the pure mag build all you want, but for PvE you can't come up with any practical limitations to using it. Of course this is where people complain that it costs more, yet ignore the costs and downtime of the other builds. Charms, pots, genie stamina, slower grinding, -all ways that other builds throw coin / potential coin away to compensate for not being pure mag.

Coming from someone who has made 1500 posts... yes, I am trolling... anyhow, there are mp charms/potions available for a reason, I have never had and mp issues. There are ways to get mp up fast ( soul transfusion, nature's grace and mp pots ) it never is an issue and it never will. Just know your resources. And if people complain about the costs then they'd have to deal with it and get over it. You chose what character to play then one must also learn to live with it's price. I dislike people who complain about charm costs and repair bills.

Another thing, I recover well over 50 hp per second and around the same with mp and can take hit from billieal when duoing with Amarah without cleric heals. One of the good things about having such high hp is that it enables me to do much more than most venos in the game. I'd love to see you try and duo billieal with another veno and see how your magic keeps you alive.

Relying too much on magic and boasting about how you survived in a squad doing billieal is hardly an accomplishment. Sure you do well in a squad but taking away your buffs, and cleric heals, how well do you really do and how is your survivability rate?

But hey, whatever works for you stick with it.

xkat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited January 2010
    Now who's boasting and far reaching to support their prior assertions? b:chuckle
    I'd love to see you try and duo billieal with another veno and see how your magic keeps you alive.

Get a clue.
  • Amarah - Dreamweaver
    Amarah - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Defense? First off your defense can't be anything spectacular nor can your hp recovery rate which comes from vit. So let me get this straight, not only do you lack any sort of vit, you are also using physical defense gems instead of hp? Am I missing something here? And belial is a joke, me and kat can duo this guy in our sleep with NO cleric BB and he is lucky if we even takes off half our hp at any given time (including him being buffed up.) He is what I call overrated as far as bosses go.

When you can post under a real character name and show me what you use or your stats maybe I could agree with you on something but as far as your build goes you would last a hit or 2 from anyone pvp wise. Your build is based purely into PVE from what I'm seeing and I wouldn't take your advice as people should build themselves all around. Lets face it PVP is part of the game and more enjoyable. In the end magic isn't gonna keep you alive.

Of course more channeling would burn mp faster. That is obvious but increases your rate of survival in many situations. I myself am a channel freak and it makes stuff so much better. I can't stand watching my character cast in slow motion. Have you heard of mp pots, mp event food, or mp charms? Are you someone who doesn't use any of these to try and save money but slack on your job? If your watching venos avoid fox form and slack on there job then they are just not doing what is necessary to keep there mp up. It's not that hard!
    You can criticize the pure mag build all you want, but for PvE you can't come up with any practical limitations to using it. Of course this is where people complain that it costs more, yet ignore the costs and downtime of the other builds. Charms, pots, genie stamina, slower grinding, -all ways that other builds throw coin / potential coin away to compensate for not being pure mag?).

Last I checked we were talking about all around builds for PvE and PvP, not one-sided.
    b:dirtyProperty of xkat. I Love you baby, always.
  • UglyPandaGuy - Heavens Tear
    UglyPandaGuy - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Going Heavy Armor is one of the worst things you can do bc you wont attack hard enough, your heals will suck, etc. There is a balance that you must play in order to put no point into vit and not enough in magic. Also puma fails, b:laugh.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    At 100 I only have 380 magic with only 316 vitality. I played around with my attribute points and gave myself this;

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee223/taboo-gie/xkatstats.jpg

The damage was great but i decided to restat back to my old one which was this;

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee223/taboo-gie/xkatstats2.jpg

My damage is still reasonably good and still be able to have 9k hp.

Personally, magic is no good without the hp to back it up with.
    Out of curiosity, I took those stats and calculated which has more survivability.

Your first build had 8454 hp, 4714 pdef, 8850 mdef. Once you factor in damage reduction, it can survive 18417 raw physical damage, 27158 raw magic damage.

Your second build has 9336 hp, 3384 pdef, 8700 mdef. Factor in damage reduction and it can survive 17234 raw physical damage (93.6% the first build), 29642 raw magic damage (109.1% the first build).

So if you're up against physical AOE mobs, the first build actually has better survivability. Against magical damage the second build has better survivability.

If you double the two pdefs for fox form, it becomes 28380 vs 25133 raw physical damage (second build is 88.6% the first build).

If you assume you're always in fox form against physical damage, the first build is superior overall. It has an 11.4% advantage against physical damage, a 9% disadvantage against magical damage, so if you weight the two damage types equally the first build has more survivability. And it has a 14.6% advantage in magic attack.
  • tweakz
    edited January 2010
    Going Heavy Armor is one of the worst things you can do bc you wont attack hard enough, your heals will suck, etc. There is a balance that you must play in order to put no point into vit and not enough in magic. Also puma fails, b:laugh.

UglyPandaGuy - Heavens Tear
    Perfect World User

Grats on the first use of your troll account.