Question

Options
Spaylz - Lost City
Spaylz - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Psychic
I've got a question for Psychics here.

Considering both trees, and the cost of high level skills spiritwise and moneywise, is there any way to skill both trees in an efficient way ? Or do we have to choose one tree over the other one ? It'd be kind of painful having to pick between Red Tide and Psychic Will...

Thoughts ?
Post edited by Spaylz - Lost City on

Comments

• Amouriv - Dreamweaver
    Amouriv - Dreamweaver Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

Step 1: get lvl 1 of every skill
    Step 2: level the ones you use the most
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: profit!!!!!!!b:victory
  • PsyIcy - Sanctuary
    PsyIcy - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Max the first 2 skills [/duh]
    The rest is on preference. But for here, the Landslide Knockback is far more useful than the wizards. So I'd max that too. And to reiterate, max whatever else you feel should.
  • Amouriv - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    i dont really use landslide anymore. Mobs dont touch me at all without it. I regret getting it to 4 b:sad Maybe it will still have its usefulness as a close range pvp nuke i hope.
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    Giodia - Heavens Tear Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    i dont really use landslide anymore. Mobs dont touch me at all without it. I regret getting it to 4 b:sad Maybe it will still have its usefulness as a close range pvp nuke i hope.

Whether a mobs comes into melee range or not, your stats allocation, weapon, gear.

But sometimes, higher HP mobs do get into melee range, which you may encounter soon as Tauroc valorians.
  • _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear
    _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,458 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    max the first two starter skills and max landslide(the knock back skill) and bubble of life
    TheEmpire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    Options
    max the first two starter skills and max landslide(the knock back skill) and bubble of life

Bubble of life at lvl 1 is sufficient as you will not get hit 90% of the time, at least for a forseeable future to lvl 40.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I say max the "nukes" and knockback - DoT is a meh.. youll do better DPS grinding with the nukes than you would with the DoT. the support skills sound nice at a glance, but this role is best left to clerics IMO. soul of [whatever] I find useless most of the time. The damage output of soul of vengeance (for me) reflects 183.28 damage at the cost of 18.328 mana points. My skills have a better damage to mana cost ratio than that even with white voodoo activated. Soul of stunning.. chance to hit is too low. Black voodoo.. we have spark erupt. AoE skills... put you in range to get hit by everything you're hitting.. not recommended to level IMO.

psychic has a lot of nice sounding skills.. but the best (IMO so far) are the ones you start with + landslide. pick up your element masteries to make em better, leave the support role to the clerics, and the deflect buffing to the venos (it does more damage, lasts longer, and doesn't cost mana to the target).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Amouriv - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I say max the "nukes" and knockback - DoT is a meh.. youll do better DPS grinding with the nukes than you would with the DoT. the support skills sound nice at a glance, but this role is best left to clerics IMO. soul of [whatever] I find useless most of the time. The damage output of soul of vengeance (for me) reflects 183.28 damage at the cost of 18.328 mana points. My skills have a better damage to mana cost ratio than that even with white voodoo activated. Soul of stunning.. chance to hit is too low. Black voodoo.. we have spark erupt. AoE skills... put you in range to get hit by everything you're hitting.. not recommended to level IMO.

psychic has a lot of nice sounding skills.. but the best (IMO so far) are the ones you start with + landslide. pick up your element masteries to make em better, leave the support role to the clerics, and the deflect buffing to the venos (it does more damage, lasts longer, and doesn't cost mana to the target).
    your logic is flawed. If this is what psychic is all about, i want to go back to my wiz. The main reason i wanted to play psychic was the ability to do damage while still being helpful to your squad. Not to mention i love doing pvp with my factionmates and i hated it when they were getting ganked and i had no control skills or fast enough ones to save them. Your idea is basically taking out everything that makes a psychic interesting and making it a class with only 3 skills. I'm starting to think psychic is made to be close range so i started adding vit until i reach 50 vit points, then i will continue with pure mag.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    your logic is flawed. If this is what psychic is all about, i want to go back to my wiz. The main reason i wanted to play psychic was the ability to do damage while still being helpful to your squad. Not to mention i love doing pvp with my factionmates and i hated it when they were getting ganked and i had no control skills or fast enough ones to save them. Your idea is basically taking out everything that makes a psychic interesting and making it a class with only 3 skills. I'm starting to think psychic is made to be close range so i started adding vit until i reach 50 vit points, then i will continue with pure mag.

the way I see it, psychic is like a cleric/wiz comibination. we can easily see elements from the wizard in play here, as well a bit from the cleric (heal skill, a purify skill, a skill that increases potency of heals). But to put it bluntly.. (dunno how else to do it) its not the best in either of those areas. Its like the BM of the squishies. Jack of all trades, master of none. However, there are some beneficial skills of the psychic which I didn't touch on previously which don't exist in either the cleric or mage. Along with the purify skill.. an added bonus of immunity to physical damage is tacked on to it. Can we say "kong just got easier"? (although I have no clue how long the immunity lasts.. probably 1 or 2 seconds so as not to make it too op). tanks and catapullers can certainly benefit from the increased potency oh heals skill, as well as the decreased cool down time of charms -- this does not exist from the cleric or the wizard. But again, to not make it too OP -- its effect is shorter than that of cleric buffs, and it can still be purged by a veno. The reverse skill of this is good to use in TW against the enemies catapuller (I doubt it would be beneficial to use in duel, wasting crucial time to deal damage). Still has the same short effect duration, and can be purified by cleric or psychic.

Don't get it twisted, I certainly am having fun with my level 29 psycho - but I just fail to see the overall effectiveness of leveling some of the skills past lvl 1. Maybe if the "soul of ____" tree had a longer duration on it, or a higher chance to hit I would consider getting it. But a 1.37 chance to stun for one second just isn't worth it IMO to learn and keep casting every minute.
    but yeah, if you like PvP - go ahead and get those AoE's and Bubble of Life - you'd likely get better use out of it than I would doing mostly PvE. Odds are that in PvP you'll either

A) get smacked down quick like being a squishy
    B) have white voodoo up and thus deal minimal damage with the offset of better defense for the ability to run and heal someone a bit every 30 seconds. (I wonder if white voodoo affects heal strength since the heal is based on attack strength?)

btw.. now I'm not a huge PvP'er by any means, but I think LA would be a better all around choice if you plan to do PvP. You'd get a bit better crit rate and a balanced physical/magical attack, thus better able to defend against the physical classes that are typically going to target you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    Options

As I have always said, adding vit is pointless for a PVE server till later stages.

2. If Psychic is all about close range, all our skills would be very short in distance.

3. Our skills are not complete yet, therefore, unable to ascertain what other skills (range or close melee) are there in store for us.

4. 2 Spammeable skills with quick cd and distance is telling us that we need distance when it is dangerous to be upfront.

5. PVE-wise, unless you are gonna do AOE grinding, if not, you wouldn't be using AOE on singular targets, Unless getting aggro from one than 1 mob is your very intention. Or you are in for a ride.

6. There are many ways to lvl up a psychic. Some chose oracles, most chose singular target grind, but of coz, you may choose AOE grinding too.

7. Vit is seriously pointless. Adding shards is much more viable.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options

This!

for psychic and cleric alike, 1 vit = 10 HP. 50 vit = 500 HP.
    1 average citrine = 25 HP. In the lower levels, you're not gonna be getting 500 HP from your vit - so you actually come out better to shard for HP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Falacer - Harshlands
    Falacer - Harshlands Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    the way I see it, psychic is like a cleric/wiz comibination. we can easily see elements from the wizard in play here, as well a bit from the cleric (heal skill, a purify skill, a skill that increases potency of heals). But to put it bluntly.. (dunno how else to do it) its not the best in either of those areas. Its like the BM of the squishies. Jack of all trades, master of none. However, there are some beneficial skills of the psychic which I didn't touch on previously which don't exist in either the cleric or mage. Along with the purify skill.. an added bonus of immunity to physical damage is tacked on to it. Can we say "kong just got easier"? (although I have no clue how long the immunity lasts.. probably 1 or 2 seconds so as not to make it too op). tanks and catapullers can certainly benefit from the increased potency oh heals skill, as well as the decreased cool down time of charms -- this does not exist from the cleric or the wizard. But again, to not make it too OP -- its effect is shorter than that of cleric buffs, and it can still be purged by a veno. The reverse skill of this is good to use in TW against the enemies catapuller (I doubt it would be beneficial to use in duel, wasting crucial time to deal damage). Still has the same short effect duration, and can be purified by cleric or psychic.

Don't get it twisted, I certainly am having fun with my level 29 psycho - but I just fail to see the overall effectiveness of leveling some of the skills past lvl 1. Maybe if the "soul of ____" tree had a longer duration on it, or a higher chance to hit I would consider getting it. But a 1.37 chance to stun for one second just isn't worth it IMO to learn and keep casting every minute.
    but yeah, if you like PvP - go ahead and get those AoE's and Bubble of Life - you'd likely get better use out of it than I would doing mostly PvE. Odds are that in PvP you'll either

A) get smacked down quick like being a squishy
    B) have white voodoo up and thus deal minimal damage with the offset of better defense for the ability to run and heal someone a bit every 30 seconds. (I wonder if white voodoo affects heal strength since the heal is based on attack strength?)

btw.. now I'm not a huge PvP'er by any means, but I think LA would be a better all around choice if you plan to do PvP. You'd get a bit better crit rate and a balanced physical/magical attack, thus better able to defend against the physical classes that are typically going to target you.

I bet the wizzies who are pwning barbs are wishing they went LA huh b:chuckle
    Falacer Permitted ZZig into faction

Falacer: Welcome ZZig :D

ZZig has left the faction

Falacer: You biitch.
  • Chic_Sigh - Heavens Tear
    Chic_Sigh - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    It's how you play the character that makes the psychic powerful or not, the combination of skills that will determine whether he/she survives or not. It is too sophisticated and complex to simply reduce it to a wiz-cleric rolled in one.

I just love mine.

Tonight, a same level assassin and my psychic had to do Charr. He said "heal while I tank" haha! I stole aggro and killed it, and healed once Charr was down. Hehe.

At first, with the skills, it's confusing: a tree for water skills and one for earth skills... but how we mix them makes all the difference. And I also believe in buffs and protection so, being an attacker, I favor black voodoo to white and use it most in grinding. I only use white voodoo when I'm going thru mobs and don't have time to stop.

As for tide form, I was one-shotted tonight by the Aged Turtle... but that's because I was distracted, I should have been able to escape.

Other than that, I love my psychic b:cute and certainly so do hope that we don't get nerfed. b:sad
  • Amouriv - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    As I have always said, adding vit is pointless for a PVE server till later stages.

2. If Psychic is all about close range, all our skills would be very short in distance.

3. Our skills are not complete yet, therefore, unable to ascertain what other skills (range or close melee) are there in store for us.

4. 2 Spammeable skills with quick cd and distance is telling us that we need distance when it is dangerous to be upfront.

5. PVE-wise, unless you are gonna do AOE grinding, if not, you wouldn't be using AOE on singular targets, Unless getting aggro from one than 1 mob is your very intention. Or you are in for a ride.

6. There are many ways to lvl up a psychic. Some chose oracles, most chose singular target grind, but of coz, you may choose AOE grinding too.

I thought like you too, but more HP is never a bad thing. We unlike mages dont have a 100% pdef buff, so wouldnt leaving space for garnet shards be more viable. 500 HP would be so much more helpful to me. I currently have 1150 HP as pure mag. If i did a 2 vit build i would have 1540 HP. Considering physical mobs hit me for about 100 damage with black voodoo on, thats 4 extra attacks i can take on. At later levels, the extra vit can only add more survivability as i start to PK. Once i reach 90, and i feel as if i no longer need it, i can buy a reset note that costs a measly 5 gold to restat out my vit. Also, lets not forget vit adds pdef and mdef too.
  • zambor
    zambor Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Some things about psychics:

1- The DoT skills aren't affected by the two voodoo skills (tested it today, the damage remains unchanged regardless of Voodoos). Note: same is true for received DoT skills, like nix's. b:surrender (Maybe for the reflected damage from Soulburn and/or Soul of Vengeance too)

2- Think about the White Voodoo as full debuff mode, as the damage goes down (if some) the secondary skill effect stays the same (useful in TW to harm the crowd without being killed too fast, since some Psychic's AoE skills are self centered 8 meters ranged, most with a debuff as secondary), keyword: "support stance".

3- Using White Voodoo means that all damage output comes from DoT or even Teammates b:sad

4- The Voodoos does nothing about base attack/weapon atack number, only increases/decreases the DAMAGE DEALT (others than DoT), so this doesn't affect Bubble of Life.

5- don't think about the DoT skills as "attack spell," but as "DoT debuff".

6- For grinding purposes Black Voodoo + Aqua Impact + Spirit Blast +Landslide should be ok b:victory . Don't know about AoE grinding, if it's viable.
  • wnight
    wnight Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    In Addition :
    LandSlide is very usefull against magic mob since interrupt is 100% ( aside the knockback effect)

Initial 2 attack skills maxing out no questions there.

Bubble of Life = Very poor heal with huge flows in it : 1. It has relativly huge CD time vs effectivness 2.You CAN'T heal targeted person with it even if he/she is in your squad , you do can heal him/her only of she/he in range of 5m near you and that range is locked 3.cost very high b:angry
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I thought like you too, but more HP is never a bad thing. We unlike mages dont have a 100% pdef buff, so wouldnt leaving space for garnet shards be more viable. 500 HP would be so much more helpful to me. I currently have 1150 HP as pure mag. If i did a 2 vit build i would have 1540 HP. Considering physical mobs hit me for about 100 damage with black voodoo on, thats 4 extra attacks i can take on. At later levels, the extra vit can only add more survivability as i start to PK. Once i reach 90, and i feel as if i no longer need it, i can buy a reset note that costs a measly 5 gold to restat out my vit. Also, lets not forget vit adds pdef and mdef too.

yes, of course this is your preference. I'm highlighting to other players that do not wish to pay 5 gold for a stat reset later b:chuckle

As far as I know, Vit adds only Pdef while Mag adds Mattk and Mdef?
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    AoE grinding?

On my wiz I usually just find a good center of mobs, shoot of an ulti and than kill them one by one, while using hailstorm/phoenix if they are still close tougether. b:chuckle

I'm pritty sure a psy could also do that with magic mobs
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I bet the wizzies who are pwning barbs are wishing they went LA huh b:chuckle

sad thing is we don't have the umph that a mage does to one shot a barb. What would likely happen is we channel a spell and get hit with bestial onslaught, barb goes true form -> surf impact.

at least right now I have no defenses against that save to put up white voodoo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Spaylz - Lost City
    Spaylz - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

I so don't agree with you. Shards, Sandblast and Red Tide sure do sound terrific, I just think that unlike wizards our two first skills don't become useless passed a certain level, which is good. Soul of Vengeance I think is more useful in PvE, sometimes a couple of hundreds damage can do the difference, I don't really know about its effectiveness in PvP yet.

Regarding the other Souls, the Stunning one relies on your Soulforce, so past level 50 you should be able to stun near 2 seconds, which is nice. Soul of Silence also sounds pretty nice, so does Retaliation.

Psychics are DPSERS/BUFFERS/DEBUFFERS, Souls are in case enemies get too close I think, they can protect us by stunning/silencing/protection. The amount of damage a Psychic can deal is pretty high, and I really think this is a class that will shine in PvP and be very much needed during wars.

The one BIG flaw right now tho, is that leveling the Souls past level 1 actually burdens you, which is very wrong. Hope that gets modified. Not to mention Tideform which is only "useful" for travelling, if you don't have the patience to wait nor the possibility to fly...

edit : also, I AM NOT leveling White Voodoo, since at its max level it decreases your attack by 99 O_O. I don't know about leveling it just a little so I just get the defense upgrade, don't really know if it's worth it. I'm just dancing with my spells and Black Voodoo in a way that makes mobs unable to touch me more than twice.
  • Szol - Harshlands
    Szol - Harshlands Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    zambor wrote: »
    Some things about psychics:

1- The DoT skills aren't affected by the two voodoo skills (tested it today, the damage remains unchanged regardless of Voodoos). Note: same is true for received DoT skills, like nix's. b:surrender (Maybe for the reflected damage from Soulburn and/or Soul of Vengeance too)

2- Think about the White Voodoo as full debuff mode, as the damage goes down (if some) the secondary skill effect stays the same (useful in TW to harm the crowd without being killed too fast, since some Psychic's AoE skills are self centered 8 meters ranged, most with a debuff as secondary), keyword: "support stance".

3- Using White Voodoo means that all damage output comes from DoT or even Teammates b:sad

4- The Voodoos does nothing about base attack/weapon atack number, only increases/decreases the DAMAGE DEALT (others than DoT), so this doesn't affect Bubble of Life.

5- don't think about the DoT skills as "attack spell," but as "DoT debuff".

6- For grinding purposes Black Voodoo + Aqua Impact + Spirit Blast +Sandslide should be ok b:victory . Don't know about AoE grinding, if it's viable.

This pretty much sums it up

have to add some things myself egarding our utility in tw/group pvp

many ppl are speaking about the buffs and debuffs we are gonna toss around-- what i can say from my personal exp . debuffs got a way too short range to be effective atm - and as the most , if not all (havent fully lvled 59s yet) dont increase in dmg output or reflect or whatever blue szats Should increase - our debuffs DONT. so i think it really comes down to get white to toss out those debuffs and aoe debuffs- worthless the nice dmg 59s deal - and switch back to black to finish em off.
    although about white and dots on urself -- i tested it with some world mobs as some classes - i think the skill is kind of bugged atm - as i sometimes get the dmg red. and sometimes dont - seemed to me like the wood dots hit me hard, while the fire dots get some -% dmg

just my ersonal exp ...

to answer some of the skill questions ..

up to now i maxed both *nukes* and the pushback
    all buffs/debuffs left at lvl 1 or 2
    some aoes lvled

havent encountered anything i couldnt kill yet - including elite mobs

just my 2 cents
  • Ligth_yagami - Lost City
    Ligth_yagami - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I wonder if for class psychic wings are harvested and that the level and I hope it answers please