Lack of New Players?

Options
X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
This is just an observation of when i rolled a bm the other week, but from when i started him, there was very very few new players comming through, and few actually questing there (lvl 1-20). When i started back last november, and even when i rolled my alt's afew months back, i couldn't move with the ammount of players sometimes. Well u know wat i mean >.>

Of the new players spawning, I'd say, 20% of them were sum1's alt with a stupid name like "fgvhghk". And seeing the huge lack of players questing through the low lvls, i'd really say i saw only 10% of the new players actually playing.

Maybe it was just my timing being ingame blah blah blah i dunno, just wondering if any1 else noticed the same ^.^

If that's true O.O b:bye pwi lol :/
Post edited by X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Kagaro - Dreamweaver
    Kagaro - Dreamweaver Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yes, I noticed it too. Compared to my first login, the number of players in the Untamed starting area has decreased.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HatedSoul - Sanctuary
    HatedSoul - Sanctuary Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    totaly its true i been checking it sometimes too haha told allot of ppl they gotta attracked new players =P lots of m lol more fun
    I MISS AYANOb:cryb:sad
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    This is just an observation of when i rolled a bm the other week, but from when i started him, there was very very few new players comming through, and few actually questing there (lvl 1-20). When i started back last november, and even when i rolled my alt's afew months back, i couldn't move with the ammount of players sometimes. Well u know wat i mean >.>

Of the new players spawning, I'd say, 20% of them were sum1's alt with a stupid name like "fgvhghk". And seeing the huge lack of players questing through the low lvls, i'd really say i saw only 10% of the new players actually playing.

Maybe it was just my timing being ingame blah blah blah i dunno, just wondering if any1 else noticed the same ^.^

i dunno how the trend of registration goes but

ehm...(typical registration question)

How did u know of this game ?

1.i founded it sailing the net in mmo guide

2.i read of it in an article

3.got invited by a friend which plays in it

this is by far the best sources of new incoming player...

the ones that plays it already tell their friends to join to play together...

this will be a lil harder when the older player will still tell to friends to join but then warn'em that is getting worse...

i cant tell any example of getting worse atm, maybe someother canb:chuckle ?

may i have misunderstood the meaning of POPULAR DEMAND ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend anyone to join pwi atm. I'm simply being honest, I wouldn't. Not a bash at pw, I'm still here after all, but it's become a pretty average run of the mill mmo with very little special about it. If I had a good friend I'd rather they check around and find something at least somewhat similar to the pw of 4-5 months ago.

What I really have noticed is that if I add anyone who IS new to the game to my friend list, they quit within a week and never appear again. This happens without exception.
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    everyone has tried the game atleast once and already formed an opinion on it?
    new expansion coming, people dont want to make the "old" classes anymore?
    summer break is over and more people are too busy for game?
    too many negative posts on the forums are not motivating people to play?
    pissed off old players telling other people not to play pw?
    high gold and new expansion means less alts being created?

i see perfect world ads here and there on webpages, i doubt it has anything to do with advertisement.
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    And thus, the Rising Tide Expansion was born...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Homaru - Harshlands
    Homaru - Harshlands Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

Your sig is wrong, you're level 96. b:chuckle
    b:bye
  • Trista_Zel - Dreamweaver
    Trista_Zel - Dreamweaver Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    A lot of flaming on the forums (though it is mostly controlled by the GMs) and a lot of flaming in-game (over WC no less) tends to make people believe that it's not a very good community. A good community is one major contribution to gaining new players and getting them to stay. Heck, had I not started in January when the community was still pretty decent, I wouldn't have stayed more than 10 minutes.
    Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
  • Gasoline - Lost City
    Gasoline - Lost City Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

I noticed that to. Specially during WQ its empty everywhere, no one grinding and no one questing and flying through swamp its like 1 green dot at most lol. Even quest areas that used to be packed with ppl are empty. You can actually aoe at Nightscream now w/o having to fight over the mobs with 30 BMs b:chuckle.

I guess most new rich players just spams oracles to 90+ instead of grinding and the rest just uninstalls the game as soon as they see gold prices lol. If your start new in this game now you kinda have to cash shop to survive, its not like it use to be when you could use grind money to get exp scrolls and charms and even draco orbs <.<

Also people don't really need to quest and stuff much anymore with daily bounty hunter, which also might be a reason why map is kinda empty. I guess the new classes coming up also might affects ppls willingness to spend time lvl up "old classes".
  • Ashiku - Heavens Tear
    Ashiku - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    ya i noticed how empty the PWI universe is =/ i think in 4 days of hovering around the human starting town to farm mats i saw 6 or 7 new players. thats it. b:surrender
  • Devil_Vergil - Lost City
    Devil_Vergil - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    just for the record i rndomly started playin from an ad that i saw on some random website, and i got one of my friends to start playin recently :)
  • Kaenor - Heavens Tear
    Kaenor - Heavens Tear Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Because this game become more harder to start from zero, if my friends ask me its worth it to start playing, i don't recommend them yet. One year ago this was a newly announced game, you found more people on lower levels, willing to help each other, not for bhs~popular demands, just for the game and for the fun.
    Simple question: if a newbie asking you to show something or help with mobs, you go there? (busy with bh-TT-rb-whatever you want to find to avoid them)
    Dont need to answer the question, but this prove the point. No one cares, and no one want to attract others without benefit sadly...

(Sry for typos, i hope you can understand it)
  • Taranta - Dreamweaver
    Taranta - Dreamweaver Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Simple question: if a newbie asking you to show something or help with mobs, you go there? (busy with bh-TT-rb-whatever you want to find to avoid them)
    Dont need to answer the question, but this prove the point. No one cares, and no one want to attract others without benefit sadly...

(Sry for typos, i hope you can understand it)

Wow...really? I try to help most newbies with any reasonable questions that they have. If they keep spamming common chat with "can sumone tel me how 2 get skillz?" (and yes, I have seen this exact phrasing. God, my eyes hurt from reading that), I ignore them, but if there's any viable questions for someone their level, I'll help out. Heck, 90% of my TT runs now are teaching ones. If you need help, just ask politely and don't press the issue. Acting like a reasonable human being will get you quite far in this game. At least with certain people.
    I shall dominate the Dreamweaver server through the use of Baked goods...and only baked goods.^^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venomancers are Female. Barbarians are male. It will forever be this way. So suck it up and deal with it already.
  • Morfling - Sanctuary
    Morfling - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Well this is my first post and i have been playing for just over 3 weeks. The hardest thing i have found so far is the unwillingness of so many experienced players to help players just starting out.
    Too often i have found experienced players "rolling" new classes and after asking them for help, and recieving either no reply or a nominal fee for me to join their squad was outright ridiculous.
    So i decided to solo and grind my way, lucky i picked a veno class to start. Only after the second week or so i had actually talked to enough players to finally make my friends list even seem usable (yes i still only have 5 or so that are online enough).
    Since the end of week two, most of the fun has left the game as the social interaction is largely not there. I have attempted to enjoy faction life but as most are just ghost factions (no faction chat at all) i have boycotted them altogether. The quests i am attempting now mainly rely on me character being a much higher lvl or squad based, however it is extremely difficult to find a player willing to help you without first **** you (yes i had help with bh19 but i was left with absolutely nothing. so bh29 is still waiting.)
    So as to change up my play a little i decided to go for a couple of rare pets, oh and this is an absolute joke as all of the points are farmed by a select few players who -20+ channel for silly animals such as cubs and snow hares, oh and if you target it first, they kill it.
    Yes i do want a shaudo cub, but im not paying you 2mil plus for it.
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I noticed a while ago... Rather small amount of new players join and often when you talk with them, it turns out that they are higher level's alt.

I remember times when you couldn't step in starter towns without getting random friend invites, seeing few beggers, newbie questions, people trying to scam newbies in public chat. My biggest shock was when I stopped in Lost City and saw only around 3 catshops and 4 people running around. Even quests around Archo doesn't cause kill stealing fest anymore.

I think many people before starting a new game checks the forums. It quite well shows what kind of community game has and how content are the players with the game. Atm, when I look at General Discussion section I see one huge flaming topic called Anniversary Pack Discussion at the very top of the page, where members are complaining about game, devs, gms, players leaving and so on. Yea, at the moment it is the silent period before complains about next patch, so there is only this about lack of new members and one about aggressive players. And one really nice locked topic wondering why so many topics get locked.

A company, who mostly works with people, take care that their employees are happy and content, cause then the client is happy too. In MMO, gaming community is like employee too, cause they are the ones who often answer questions and helps new players. Discontent people have no patience to answer to silly, repeated questions, everyone gets grunchy and time after time turns into trolls... I have seen it happen in few other games too. Though, PWI isn't that bad as some other game, where at simple question others point fingers at you and laugh...

So in short: longlasting period of problems in game -> discontent game's comunity -> bad enviroment for newbies -> less new players who stay in the game.
  • Xenaaah - Heavens Tear
    Xenaaah - Heavens Tear Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    If there's a reason for lack of players I'd say it would be the community that chases them away. When I first started playing there was a lot of helpful players. Now it's a bunch of morons on WC arguing about how they're gonna **** someone's mom or **** another female player. What the hell is that about? I'm not here to babysit so I can't go and report these dumb asses all day. So yeah if there's a reason for a lack of players it's because someone's kid or adult can't behave themselves on the forum or in game. A big part of what makes me stay and play is the people (community.) So I'm sure others feel the same way. b:bye
  • Asurr - Heavens Tear
    Asurr - Heavens Tear Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    im new to this game (kinda). i did join during this games beta awhile back but quit cuz i was currently playing another game. this time i came back and made a char and got it to lvl 34.

im not speaking for all new players but my first impression of this game is that its pretty confusing compared to other f2p MMOs. it seems it has a slightly high learning curv. im lvl 34 and im still confused about alot of things in this game like genie system as one example. im even confused at which weapon/gear im suppose to use. theres so many and wats more i have no idea on how to get these weapons. at those forge things archosaur or w/e that towns name is i am able to forge a legendary weapon and a Twilight weapon. but i need molds which i have no idea on what they are and where i get them. and whats more idk which weapon is better, legendary weapon or twilight weapon? and what about gear? i have no idea on whats good for my lvl or my future lvls for that matter. right now im just lvling on gear that someone from a guild i joined so kindly gave me and that rank gear u get with 200 rep.

of course theres guides but theres SO many guides that it becomes frustrating to read them all. so while im not speaking for all new players, i can only assume this is the reason they quit after only a few weeks or they just get turned away after seeing how confusing it is. theres just so many stuff to learn its kinda overwhelming.

this is also why i kinda stoped lvling my char. the quests get kinda boring and just take to long. i like the game and i want to love it especially with new classes supposedly coming. but right now theres just so much to learn and i just dont feel like learning it all. so for now im on break mode from pw till i get a feel for it =/. just to confusing right now and is hard with no one to help me out ingame.
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    That,s the way most free-to-play games go. They last a couple of years and slowly fade away. The game was new for many players a year ago, but since then, the majority of the players who started in the first few weeks the server opened left the game. There are a lot of possible reasons.

1 - new games opened since then (either run by PWI or other companies). The more options players are offered, the more likely the player base will spread out over more games, unless on game is far much better that the competitors. PWI was for a time, but is not anymore (see point 3)

2 - the economy of the game is totally scrapped. This pushed away some older players and is a big deterrent for new players. For exemple, I went back to a game I played 2 years ago, and the economy there is pretty much identical to when I left, so new players starting there are in the same position as older players were when they started.

3 - bad game management, form either PWI (anniversary pack back by popular demand) or the company making the game in China (bugs not fixed after years they are discovered, new patches that bring more bugs into the game weeks after weeks).

4 - very repetitive gameplay. Some game have repetitive gameplay, but are still interresting in a way or the other. PWI is not. It's always the same "kill XX mobs" and/or spam the same skills over and over again.

And like someone said before. A lot of players who left the game for a reason or the other are not going to recommend this game to their friends.

The new content announced will probably bring back a few older players who left, but it will not last long. It will not fix the main reasons why players are leaving or are not starting playing this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Ceshiari - Sanctuary
    Ceshiari - Sanctuary Posts: 757 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Ive noticed it myself on Sanctuary, even rerolled on LC. Ive been playing PWI for awhile, about 11 months roughly. This is a second character that has become my main (main is long gone, was 95 cleric). I notice now, as I do my quests, and form gamma squads and bh squads, there are less and less of new players, everyone seems to be an alt of someone who has a high level character. No kidding, I have been really surprised.

It seems the only strong player base PWI has now is really the people that started the game from its beginning or shortly thereafter. People now just turn away from it, and word of mouth is spreading that things arent going very well.

I made an archer on LC. Starting grounds were like a graveyard, and the area around it was worse. Starter cities have been empty constantly.

But GM's and Dev's wouldnt know these things, because the exp'd players are pouring money into their pockets and they dont really see game activity, they only see monetary activity.

Ah well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xenaaah - Heavens Tear
    Xenaaah - Heavens Tear Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    That,s the way most free-to-play games go. They last a couple of years and slowly fade away. The game was new for many players a year ago, but since then, the majority of the players who started in the first few weeks the server opened left the game. There are a lot of possible reasons.

1 - new games opened since then (either run by PWI or other companies). The more options players are offered, the more likely the player base will spread out over more games, unless on game is far much better that the competitors. PWI was for a time, but is not anymore (see point 3)

2 - the economy of the game is totally scrapped. This pushed away some older players and is a big deterrent for new players. For exemple, I went back to a game I played 2 years ago, and the economy there is pretty much identical to when I left, so new players starting there are in the same position as older players were when they started.

3 - bad game management, form either PWI (anniversary pack back by popular demand) or the company making the game in China (bugs not fixed after years they are discovered, new patches that bring more bugs into the game weeks after weeks).

4 - very repetitive gameplay. Some game have repetitive gameplay, but are still interresting in a way or the other. PWI is not. It's always the same "kill XX mobs" and/or spam the same skills over and over again.

And like someone said before. A lot of players who left the game for a reason or the other are not going to recommend this game to their friends.

The new content announced will probably bring back a few older players who left, but it will not last long. It will not fix the main reasons why players are leaving or are not starting playing this game.

LOL! I like your sig. b:victory
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    But GM's and Dev's wouldnt know these things, because the exp'd players are pouring money into their pockets and they dont really see game activity, they only see monetary activity.

They are probably checking how many players are on on any given time, but it can be misleading when half or more of the connected players are alts in cat shop mode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    Yamiino - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Every time I have free time I go to plume to help a bit either buffing or helping with 1-2 bossies and leave, yes there is indeed a lack of new players.
    WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    This is purely of their own making. You could be excused for thinking that this is what they wanted to happen, as they did pretty much everything in their power to drive the gold price up high. Now the only people who can afford stuff from the cash shop are the ones who pay with real money.

The trouble for Pwi is that people aren't going to spend money on a dying game. I dont even think they care anymore, since they made an absolute killing on the anni packs, and will probably just do that to the next popular game. Wouldnt even surprise me if the servers get shut down sometime if the current trend continues.

Just spare a moments thought before you choose your next game. Remember than any other free to play game run by crooks is likely to get the same treatment.

Hey Blanche :)
  • duvall
    duvall Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I don't know about other players, but I gave up PWI some time age.

The game play was great, although the crowding made things a little difficult.

What killed it for me was d'cing, coming back on to a 5% exp loss, then d'cing again a little later.

It's such things that spoil the game enjoyment. I went off to another server which has fewer dcs and am enjoying PW.

I don't know if PWI has sorted out the connetion problems but for me it's too late.b:bye
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    IDaun - Dreamweaver Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    duvall wrote: »
    I don't know about other players, but I gave up PWI some time age.

The game play was great, although the crowding made things a little difficult.

What killed it for me was d'cing, coming back on to a 5% exp loss, then d'cing again a little later.

It's such things that spoil the game enjoyment. I went off to another server which has fewer dcs and am enjoying PW.

I don't know if PWI has sorted out the connetion problems but for me it's too late.b:bye

Dcing is not PWI's problem. Depends on how close you are to the server/how good YOUR connection is. I have no issues, then again, I'm relatively close to the server, and my connection is USUALLY good (and I get to blame my stupid internet provider for the DCs... -.-'' Charter=CRAPPY...but cheap.)

On topic, though-- On Dreamweaver I'm not seeing much of a decrease in the archosaur quests (still the same number of KSing idiots) but in the starting towns, when I went there at the start of the Halloween event I was amazed.

When I started on my veno, there were a ton of players there. Just with green dots on the map I could count at least 15+ new characters.

There were, like, two killing stuff when I was there.

And a note to people talking about the community-- the good people are still there. Not saying that new players don't... but they shouldn't judge things on WC. There's still plenty of helpful people and nice people and everything. Yeah, I, personally, won't help someone quest. That's just stupid IMO. I hate it when I see some guy following a level 50+ around in a 35 area, the level 50 killing mobs and the level 3x just standing there.

Even when I help my friends with quests, I make /sure/ that they solo something, I solo something. It's fair that way.

But yeah, on my veno I've taken people through runs of FBs and such even if they don't have the tabs anymore (for whatever reason). It's only nice to help out with stuff like that. b:cute
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    i seem to have a special talent for making friends with NEW player noobs, before they ever reach arch, and ive noticed it too. sort of. there is still a good handful of new people coming to the game, but i find that majority of them quit permanently in the 20-30 range. and they all have the same reason "i cant afford anything". "a mount is X mil?!?!?"

so basically everybody starts, plays their starter cities, has fun, then gets to arch to see the insane cost of gold and gold related items, and they give up.
  • Wolfgore - Heavens Tear
    Wolfgore - Heavens Tear Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Another QQ thread.

Its common logic that there wont be as many new players incoming as there where 1 year ago when the game was new.

More than that, new games are on the market and most people like to check them out. I see all the time ppl that leave the game and come back.

To sum it up. This is one of the best F2P games out there. If you want to have fun and PvE with your friends you DONT have to spend a cent.

If you are the competitive type, you want to be a factor in pvp, and you need to enlarge your e-peeen WTF DO YOU EXPECT?! Its a fckn company and needs money to run the game.

QQ moar about aniv packs? They fckn payed for the incoming expansion.

You like this game? Try what you can to make it better, QQing didnt help anyone achieve anything.

Regards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    QQ moar about aniv packs? They fckn payed for the incoming expansion.

mmm, how do u know this ?

they were planning new expansion long be4 relasing the packs, i hardly think that they would start some new project based on an upcoming sale...just common sense

maybe you would say:

the anni packs u bought gives devs a reward for theyr latest brain squeezing

btw like i said before, the biggest source of incoming player is the PERSON WHICH INVITE FRIENDS, TELLING how good the game is.

I DONT QQ ABOUT ANNI PACKS, (i have to admit i bought a few of em the 1st time they came out) I JUST WANNA BE TREATED right...

and i dont feel like the game behave well toward us, SEE POPULAR DEMAND AND DEADLINE OF PACKS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Well I am relatively new compared to many players here. I would say there are still a lot of nice people around to keep the community good enough for me to stay here (i have been in worse communities :P)

As for gold prices, I dont see how that really affects new players unless they wanna buy all those fancy extras in the boutiques. I have spent minimum gold here (perhaps $25 worth of gold) and the only reason i spent it was because I could :P

In any case, all games have their learning curves and each one is different. The good things about PW is the looks and questing part. Most of the quests are soloable (even for a new person) excepting the FB, BH,TT and Boss Runs. Its not necessary to do BHs really unless u wanna speed by the levelling by a great margin. Only recently I started with BHs cos I wanted to be more help to my faction mates else I prefer grinding slowly and accumulating as much coin as possible :D.

As for new players leaving, I would say people shouldnt base their opinions on a few baddies that they encounter. Player communities have both good and bad players no matter which game it is. Its upto you to find them. It took me around 2 weeks to find the faction am in since I didnt look up the forums earlier :P. Even so i tend to ignore flaming posts and WC (seriously people seem to waste teles on spamming it with nonsense).
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    Drazo - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,187 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    When I created my archer on Santuary, there were very few new players about. During the Plume outskirts quests, there were still very few new players and thus little KSing. I loved it. b:victory
    Non-mule characters:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]....and Drazomyst.