So now that Jolly is gone...

Options
david12345
david12345 Posts: 161 Arc User
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
...we are happy to move off the 200k gold prices and return to the good old 106k~!

No wait

20t0bvc.jpg

And it just keeps rising after the maint.

Its now 176k green at the time I post this ss. I expect it to reach back to 180k in about 3-4 hours. Hell, with the way the power gold sellers are being so frugal (buying hammers to open 1m boxes rather then selling actual gold), it might top 190k today.

Let me bring back this quote from Xarfox:
xarfox wrote: »
The reason why the price for Gold has shot through the roof, is because of the addition of Jolly Old Jones, not the Gear Shattering system.

For those who are not familiar with Jolly Old Jones, he's an NPC that allows players to trade either Guardian Angels for rewards, or 100k coins.

The secondary purpose of Jolly Old Jones, other than providing you guys with items, is to drain the economy. The last time we had this event, we drained a huge amount of money out of the PWI economy, and Gold prices re-stabilized at a lower price after Jolly Old Jones was removed from the game.

Currently gold prices are inflated, however they should fall back down after this event/sale, perhaps even to a lower benchmark since so much coin is being sunk out of the game right now.

Gold trading is something that we pay a lot of attention to at PWE. We realize that a large number of players get their gold through the auction house, and carefully watch that system with a variety of metrics, statistics, and tools. You can be sure that when you guys are upset about high Gold prices, we become concerned for our players who can't afford to charge their ZEN directly.

We also realize that lately it seems like it's been nothing but sale after sale. That's simply because the large content update we had today required a lot of work from the development team, and with the upcoming additions of the Bounty Hunter and Warsong City (very soon) it's easy to see how their plate has been full.

Now finally. There are some monumental updates on the way for PWI. I cannot go into the specifics of what they are, but I can say that upon having the news of these updates fall upon my ears, I was not only shocked beyond belief, but more excited than I've been for any previous content update/expansion.

This has turned out to be false. No two ways about it.

I don't want to lay blame, no matter how hard it deserves to be laid, nor do I want to rage about a game. I just want a simple answer.

Is there, or is there not, any thought/talk between the GMs, the devs and the PWI team in general about retuning/removing the 1m coin box?

Edit: Gold now at 177k, 5 mins after I posted ss.
Post edited by david12345 on

Comments

• Fumiko - Harshlands
    Fumiko - Harshlands Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    even if u remove the infamous cube box it's kinda late to fix the situation
    theGoliath's sexy wizzy
  • Amehlea - Sanctuary
    Amehlea - Sanctuary Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    wake up greedy bugs all it takes is for one power seller to stand down and do the noble thing to bad my husband lost his job or i would put more money into the game and be that noble woman
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Xarfox says a lot of things, including justifying increased lvl 69/79 mold chip costs by promising chips from bounty hunter quest. Xarfox says whatever is convenient for Xarfox at the time, I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

Poor Spoon had to run damage control.b:chuckle
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Umm, it takes time for the gold board to change. If nothing else, you're going to wait for peoples buys to time out as they won't want to have wasted their listing fee (unless they were expecting the price to seriously plummet within hours of the server coming up). The same is true of price changes in the AH. Auction times have to cease and some of the current items need to be consumed for prices to stabilize again.

I took a SS of the board on DW when the server came back up (actually, a couple hours after... but close enough). I'll get another one in say 5 days, and compare. Economic changes don't happen instantly.
  • Artiex - Sanctuary
    Artiex - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    You're being quite drastic, its only been a couple hrs since jolly jones as been gone. Things takes time, you can't expect gold to suddenly drop down to 120k instantly. Also gold prices rose cause new items were established in the cash shop, people want their cow shops, as well as new horse mounts that are now attainable from cash shop instead of laborious DQ.

Once people notice that these items aren't really on "sale" as they are permanently set in the cash shop except for the spurs, prices will eventually go down. Just give it a couple days or even weeks, it will go down.
    edited August 2009
    Options
    You're being quite drastic, its only been a couple hrs since jolly jones as been gone. Things takes time, you can't expect gold to suddenly drop down to 120k instantly. Also gold prices rose cause new items were established in the cash shop, people want their cow shops, as well as new horse mounts that are now attainable from cash shop instead of laborious DQ.

Once people notice that these items aren't really on "sale" as they are permanently set in the cash shop except for the spurs, prices will eventually go down. Just give it a couple days or even weeks, it will go down.

Then they'll have some other sales. Gold prices will never go down.b:chuckle
  • Crazydan - Heavens Tear
    Crazydan - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,178 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Dude just stop talking u sir r not being smart atm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Dude just stop talking u sir r not being smart atm

Meh, if people actually read up on all the QQ in the forums, they wouldn't be buying gold at 250k each anyway. Let's face it, what we say here will hardly make a dent.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I read it.

I still bought gold for... I think the highest I had to go was 225k.

It was worth it.
  • Amehlea - Sanctuary
    Amehlea - Sanctuary Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    i agree its like reverse psycologie you tell them to stop buying and let the greeded gold diggers rot with theyr prices and what do thy do buy in masses ?????? makes sens to you ?
    i sure i can sell sof for 4k -6 a peice now with the prices so high lol
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    You are so RIGHT!

And you know what else? All those Jolly Jones items everybody is holding on to aren't going to go up in value, either!

It's true, because I was so convinced that prices were going to go up after Jolly Jones ended, but I just checked and Scarlet Fruit are still selling for under 50k! It's been a full 4 hours now, which is practically an eternity, so that's proof positive that they'll never increase.

Man, I totally called this whole event wrong...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Fumiko - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    Options
    scarlet fruits are almost useless, u can't compare prices with them
    theGoliath's sexy wizzy
  • Artiex - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Last time jolly jones came, oracles sold for 20k a pop, scarlet fruit was 30-40k

I held onto my items for 2 months or so, and sold the oracles and scarlet fruit for 150-250k a pop.

It takes time for the prices of these items to rise back up, you hold on to them for like 3 months. I bought 30 mil worth of jolly jones stuff this time O.o
    edited August 2009
    Options
    *face palms*

Yes, I know. I was being sarcastic. I kinda thought the line about a 4-hour wait being an eternity would be the dead-giveaway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MentalEdge - Heavens Tear
    MentalEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    scarlet fruits are almost useless, u can't compare prices with them

Scarlet fruit are the fastest and easiest exp food of choice for alts and lowbies everywhere,they are not useless.
    Quit 100%...and surprised my forum account wasn't banned...yet
  • Artiex - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Well at least there was no line chaos this time, or was there? I didn't really check spider king, pirate and wolf. b:chuckle
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Last time jolly jones came, oracles sold for 20k a pop, scarlet fruit was 30-40k

I held onto my items for 2 months or so, and sold the oracles and scarlet fruit for 150-250k a pop.

It takes time for the prices of these items to rise back up, you hold on to them for like 3 months. I bought 30 mil worth of jolly jones stuff this time O.o

It wouldn't rise that quickly. This time around, far more people were onto the Jolly bandwagon. Supply of all Jolly related items are absolute huge. Everyone is holding out onto them hoping they will rise in price like last time. Same as IRL business, early bird gets the worm, bandwagon jumpers tank prices.
  • Fumiko - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Scarlet fruit are the fastest and easiest exp food of choice for alts and lowbies everywhere,they are not useless.
    said almost... and those fruits are for noobs who have tons of dollars to waste to save 1-2 week of grinding
    theGoliath's sexy wizzy
    edited August 2009
    Options
    It wouldn't rise that quickly. This time around, far more people were onto the Jolly bandwagon. Supply of all Jolly related items are absolute huge. Everyone is holding out onto them hoping they will rise in price like last time. Same as IRL business, early bird gets the worm, bandwagon jumpers tank prices.
    You're right about this, which is why I held onto a lot of Fruit instead of just Oracles like I did last time.

Oracles were the clear winner last time in terms of price increase, but judging by the facts that they sold very quickly and that the lineups this time around were far shorter, I'm pretty sure they were the bandwagon item of choice. I kept hearing lots of anecdotal evidence of people who normally don't play the in-game markets hoarding Oracles because so-and-so said this other so-and-so made X amount of coin last time.

Fruit, however, can be consumed very quickly. I'm hoping that means it will recover its price the fastest, but of course it's all just educated guesses at this point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Oracles were the clear winner last time in terms of price increase, but judging by the facts that they sold very quickly and that the lineups this time around were far shorter, I'm pretty sure they were the bandwagon item of choice. I kept hearing lots of anecdotal evidence of people who normally don't play the in-game markets hoarding Oracles because so-and-so said this other so-and-so made X amount of coin last time.

Fruit, however, can be consumed very quickly. I'm hoping that means it will recover its price the fastest, but of course it's all just educated guesses at this point.
    Fundamentally, they are the same thing - free exp and spirit. The oracles take a little more time and effort, but the end product is the same. So I wouldn't expect their prices to deviate that significantly. You're right that the fruit should recover in price quicker. But when you come down to it, since the end product is the same (exp), the only advantage of the fruit is that you don't have to wait in line for an oracle spawn. If the lines aren't so bad (or there are no lines) and the oracles are so oversupplied that it drags down their prices, then it will just end up dragging down fruit prices too since the two products mostly compete with each other. That's my guess.

Previously it was only about a 2:1 ratio between the cost per exp for the fruit vs. oracles. I can't see it deviating too far from that long-term. Maybe 3:1 at best. The value of the convenience factor (time saved not having to sit at an oracle spawn) is fixed, and not subject to regular supply vs. demand.
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    To the OP: you can't expect an instant drop in gold prices, the economies need a while to recoverb:chuckle
  • Shibusen - Dreamweaver
    Shibusen - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    The best way to avoid all boutique related issues is not using it. Try it you might like it. Its a free to play game, play it that way.
    b:shocked
  • Jonnykins - Dreamweaver
    Jonnykins - Dreamweaver Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    To the OP: You got what you wanted rightb:laugh

No one spotted the trollb:bye
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    -Clears throat- Stop buying off players for high prices then.

You guys blame the ones who are trying to help you and I'm tired of it.

Want it lowered? Do something about it.

Ever tried not buying gold off players? So addicted to pixels, you let yourself be ripped knowingly? You know the smart thing would be for all of you to STOP buying it off each other. If you don't buy it for high prices then it will
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V
    Drop

And the ones that do buy it for high prices, don't complain. No one pushed you into buying it. "Patience is a virtue."

The ones that don't give into buying the gold off players, I say Awesome You!

Ok, my rant is done. I know the OP wanted a long argument but meh.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • DaCage - Sanctuary
    DaCage - Sanctuary Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I see some progress on sanctuary already so it seems that gold is going down a little again. Though the chest of coins still needs changes.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I see some progress on sanctuary already so it seems that gold is going down a little again. Though the chest of coins still needs changes.

I agree, it should have 2million coins inside.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • FitHitDShan - Sanctuary
    FitHitDShan - Sanctuary Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    To the OP: you can't expect an instant drop in gold prices, the economies need a while to recoverb:chuckle

This makes absolutely no sense. The gold trading price should be the fastest thing to adjust to shocks (i.e., the sudden end of an event like Jolly Jones inflating demand for gold, or the shock of a change in mount prices). Now, there is also a long-run effect of inflation/deflation on the gold trading market which, I agree, will take a long time to sort out. But, what the OP seems to have been observing was the incremental effect of a new sale. The gold market dropped when demand dried up as the Jolly Jones event was coming to a close. Then, the permenant sale on mounts was revealed, demand for gold shot back up (as it usually does with each new sale). This time, perhaps, the sale-effect was a bit more significant because gold speculators were not expecting PWI to be able to follow up the success of Jolly with anything as dramatic, so were not pre-positioned to absorb the morning rush. Warren will undoubtedly reveal that he saw it coming and made a mint, but the average speculator probably did not think PWI could keep demand for gold from suffering a post-surge trough. Well done, PWI, by the way - making even gold speculation an adventure in the game.
    "?" IS my avatar.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    This makes absolutely no sense. The gold trading price should be the fastest thing to adjust to shocks (i.e., the sudden end of an event like Jolly Jones inflating demand for gold, or the shock of a change in mount prices). Now, there is also a long-run effect of inflation/deflation on the gold trading market which, I agree, will take a long time to sort out. But, what the OP seems to have been observing was the incremental effect of a new sale. The gold market dropped when demand dried up as the Jolly Jones event was coming to a close. Then, the permenant sale on mounts was revealed, demand for gold shot back up (as it usually does with each new sale). This time, perhaps, the sale-effect was a bit more significant because gold speculators were not expecting PWI to be able to follow up the success of Jolly with anything as dramatic, so were not pre-positioned to absorb the morning rush. Warren will undoubtedly reveal that he saw it coming and made a mint, but the average speculator probably did not think PWI could keep demand for gold from suffering a post-surge trough. Well done, PWI, by the way - making even gold speculation an adventure in the game.

Auction house has a 24 hours listing time. If you cancel your listing, you loose your listing fee. Unless gold prices take a HUGE nose dive, it is not worth to remove your listing until it expires, besides you can always try to catch the player that wants gold now and has so much coin that they do not care if they are paying a few extra thousand for the gold.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • david12345
    david12345 Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options

The funny thing is that a new sale will come up and keep the already inflated gold prices (due to 1m boxes) high. Actually this has already happened, with the mount sale.

Getting rid of the 1m box may not fix the issue completely (its already done quite a bit of damage), but it sure as hell will stop most gold sellers stuck to their 200k yellow gold prices.

Also your post didn't answer my question in my OP.
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
This discussion has been closed.