Channel vs. Crit Rings.

Calibix - Heavens Tear
Calibix - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Wizard
I'm curious what other wizards think, and would like some friendly banter. Lets say your staying pdef necks and belts, so channeling on those from elemental belts doesn't come into question, those stay out of the discussion. For your rings would you rather have two -6 channels, or two +2 crit rings? Lets just leave rings like lunar out of this, or crafted with double channel, double crit, lots of hp etc etc.Strictly would you prefer -12 channel or +4 crit and why please.
Post edited by Calibix - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    It all depends on your build. I'm LA, so I love me some crits. (10% at the moment).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    Calibix - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    It all depends on your build. I'm LA, so I love me some crits. (10% at the moment).

Being LA at 80-99(or whatever it works out to) means 4 more crit than Pure assuming same gear. Would -12 channel be worth it as constant dps increase w/o sacrificing crit compared to pure?

I'm pure int, and have 8% crit with two crit rings. Playing devil's advocate here.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I would take channel from rings
    -12 rings
    -6 sleeves
    -3 weapn TT80
    -3 necklace
    -3 belt

27% channel on a wizz is sick, no matter how you take it.
    Hardest thing to get here is that 2 x -6 thingie.
    -27% channeling means you can fire out a FoW then SS and SR then you still have time for Whisper and SS. Or whatever other combo works. And that being 100% reliable is sick.

On the other hand, 10%-15% crit is nothing to laugh at, but it's random. You cannot build a reliable strategy on that. Will work some time, will not very often. Personally I would go for the channel everyday.

But since the channel gear is much to expensive, I will go for some channel 10-15% and some crit 7-8% b:chuckle

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Being LA at 80-99(or whatever it works out to) means 4 more crit than Pure assuming same gear. Would -12 channel be worth it as constant dps increase w/o sacrificing crit compared to pure?

I'm pure int, and have 8% crit with two crit rings. Playing devil's advocate here.

...lolwut?

xP I dunno, honestly, I'm just goin' with what works for me. Crit's seem to like me, and LA is pretty reliable. After all, there are a few good LA Wizards that are endgame.

As for the channeling, I dunno...I'm going to probably get Denied Fate Wheel because that seems to be a good all-around weapon for TT90. (Bye, Yaksa!) So after I get that, I may get a few -chanelling ornaments to add to it. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    light armour should always stack crit. they need it. light does much less damage, and rely on crits for everything.

and, correct me if i'm wrong, but your light-armoured god "Pandora" stacks it as well. so should you hippies be falling head over heals for it?
    edited June 2009
    light armour should always stack crit. they need it. light does much less damage, and rely on crits for everything.

and, correct me if i'm wrong, but your light-armoured god "Pandora" stacks it as well. so should you hippies be falling head over heals for it?

I...guess? I dunno, the only other LA Wizard that I saw was PlazmaStryke...I want that armor...and weapon...and clothes...and...everything.

ಥ_ಥ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• JEEbez - Dreamweaver
    JEEbez - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I would take channel from rings
    -12 rings
    -6 sleeves
    -3 weapn TT80
    -3 necklace
    -3 belt

27% channel on a wizz is sick, no matter how you take it.
    Hardest thing to get here is that 2 x -6 thingie.
    -27% channeling means you can fire out a FoW then SS and SR then you still have time for Whisper and SS. Or whatever other combo works. And that being 100% reliable is sick.

On the other hand, 10%-15% crit is nothing to laugh at, but it's random. You cannot build a reliable strategy on that. Will work some time, will not very often. Personally I would go for the channel everyday.

But since the channel gear is much to expensive, I will go for some channel 10-15% and some crit 7-8% b:chuckle

I think the parts I put in red are the key. Wizards are known for their high, reliable damage (At least pure wizards from my experience), so it would just make sense that we would pick something to boost our ability to do high reliable damage instead of boosting our chances of doing extremely high damage. If you can give high constant damage at an accelerated speed, in my opinion, that is better then boosting our ability to double our damage by 4%. I believe that if you boosted the channeling speed to the levels stated above, or even -12% as the OP stated, you will get higher overall damage because you launch more attacks in the same time period and you are not praying on a bunch of randomly generated numbers b:chuckle .
    edited June 2009
    I think the parts I put in red are the key. Wizards are known for their high, reliable damage (At least pure wizards from my experience), so it would just make sense that we would pick something to boost our ability to do high reliable damage instead of boosting our chances of doing extremely high damage. If you can give high constant damage at an accelerated speed, in my opinion, that is better then boosting our ability to double our damage by 4%. I believe that if you boosted the channeling speed to the levels stated above, or even -12% as the OP stated, you will get higher overall damage because you launch more attacks in the same time period and you are not praying on a bunch of randomly generated numbers b:chuckle .

Well, I started out LA, and it's too expensive to switch over now...so LA all the way I go! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    You'll have a very difficult time fighting late game 80s+ barbarians (not end game) if you do not have a good crit %. It is very hard to fight barbs without a good crit here and there.
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I'd stack crit tbh.
    -12% isn't noticable, and lol @ any serious pvp player who is robes and uses mdef ornaments. I have 7% atm, and I crit quite a bit. Looking forward to another 5% at 99.
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I'd rather go for critrate, the spike damage is amazing in pvp. If you crit against an archer for example they're pretty much screwed. I'm not a fan of channeling anyway, you can still get -9/12% total from weapon+gaunts.Increasing that to 21/24% isn't really worth it IMO, especially since after 89 you'll spam gush/pyr/stone rain mostly. All of which have low channeling, so the effect won't be very noticable.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    24% isn't very noticable.

is what i heard.

by chance, are you on crack?
  • Miss_Tika - Lost City
    Miss_Tika - Lost City Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I always wanted to try Channeling, but Crit is toooo addicting. Love one shotting bishes with a simple hit. Mage Criticals are the most deadly attacks in the game.

Channeling I think is better for PvE. More consistent attacking. But now that i'm 100... why the hell would I need to grind b:bye

Leave channeling to the venomancers. Much better for them.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2009
    You'll have a very difficult time fighting late game 80s+ barbarians (not end game) if you do not have a good crit %. It is very hard to fight barbs without a good crit here and there.

no doubt about that.
    Barbs are anyway hard to take down even with sutra unless u crit.
    But hey, avoid the barbs as much as possible and pwn whatever else :D

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    how about -channel AND crit =D

but i would go with crit. it would go nicely with sage ice dragon b:pleased
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Lunar Glade Rings b:victory
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    is what i heard.

by chance, are you on crack?
    Should read properly then. But I'll try rewriting it so your brain can comprehend.

24% isn't noticable over 12% when the skills you use are either 1.2/1.0/2.0 or 1.5/1.0/1.6 second channeling.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    and here i thought you were smart or something, the way you question what i do. did you even think this one through? chanting 1/4 faster is noticable even if it's 1 second.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2009
    I have now 9%, and it makes a difference.It's not a life changing experience, but it is faster. Best indicator is the way I have to do my combos, a blind gush/pyro/gush/pyro is not working anymore. At 12% ( I had 12, i sold the belt 'cause it sucked) the diff isn't big. But 24? man, that has to be a change. Prolly not very visible, but has to count for something.
    You can channel in 0.75s a gush, in 1.13s a Pyro, 1.5 sec a SR, 1.85 a SS, 1.9 a divine Pyro.
    I mean...to have a SS channel close to the normal Pyro channel is just sick. And DP at 1.9S? man...You could FoW someone, Lay a SS/DP and have time to do Soporific Whisper and another SS after. That has to be a sick dmg( unless u fight a wizz).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    I have now 9%, and it makes a difference.It's not a life changing experience, but it is faster. Best indicator is the way I have to do my combos, a blind gush/pyro/gush/pyro is not working anymore. At 12% ( I had 12, i sold the belt 'cause it sucked) the diff isn't big. But 24? man, that has to be a change. Prolly not very visible, but has to count for something.
    You can channel in 0.75s a gush, in 1.13s a Pyro, 1.5 sec a SR, 1.85 a SS, 1.9 a divine Pyro.
    I mean...to have a SS channel close to the normal Pyro channel is just sick. And DP at 1.9S? man...You could FoW someone, Lay a SS/DP and have time to do Soporific Whisper and another SS after. That has to be a sick dmg( unless u fight a wizz).

...or you can crit and one-two shot. ~.^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2009
    IF (crit)
    {
    System.out.println("Yay");
    }else
    {
    System.out.println("****");
    }
    I don't like the chances of going into "else" path

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    this is just another hard choice for wizzies like sage and demon.
    I change my vote to channeling, Fate Denial-Godspeed FTW
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    and here i thought you were smart or something, the way you question what i do. did you even think this one through? chanting 1/4 faster is noticable even if it's 1 second.
    It's not 1/4 faster. The difference is 12%, from 24% with channel rings to 12% with anything else. That's 0.12s less channeling per second. Lets take a random skill with a pretty long channel time, and a cast time shorter than the channel time.

Sage Stone Rain = 1.6s channel 1.4s cast = 3s
    -12% channel = 1.408s channel 1.4s cast = 2.808s
    -24% channel = 1.216s channel 1.4s cast = 2.616s

Epic difference. It's not even enough to get you an extra skill off during a charm tick. Compared to 4% extra crit? Not worth it. I never said -21/24% wasn't noticable, I said it wasn't noticable compared to "normal" situations, where you have -9/12%.
    edited June 2009
    IF (crit)
    {
    System.out.println("Yay");
    }else
    {
    System.out.println("****");
    }
    I don't like the chances of going into "else" path

Your code is sloppy. You don't need block quantifiers in it.

if (bool crit = true)
    cout << "Feel the pain of true power!" << endl;
    else
    cout << "...don't hurt me!!" << endl << Character.Flee();
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    i don't see the comparison anymore, my rings have +crit and -chant on them. i thought you meant that -24% wasn't noticable. i have -24% on my wiz, i know just how much of a difference it makes. even if it doesn't look like it with numbers, it does.
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Your code is sloppy. You don't need block quantifiers in it.

if (bool crit = true)
    cout << "Feel the pain of true power!" << endl;
    else
    cout << "...don't hurt me!!" << endl << Character.Flee();

Side tracked:
    Its often good practice to include the brackets even on one liner codes, because it makes the code easier to read.
    Whether you want the brackets to be on the same line as the condition is up to you. Not to mention your code is always going to be true because you just placed an assign operator, and created a new boolean variable everytime your code runs. You've got 100% crit! Holy ****!

On topic:
    PvE perspective: +Channel will waste your mana faster since you're casting spells more often, whereas crit will save mana because in one crit you're dealing two spells worth =D

PvE perspective: For a .5 second difference, you will have to throw as many spells as you can hoping to kill an opponent before his hiero ticks again.
    Or have a chance to crit and bypass his hiero completely.

Your pick!
    edited June 2009
    Side tracked:
    Its often good practice to include the brackets even on one liner codes, because it makes the code easier to read.
    Whether you want the brackets to be on the same line as the condition is up to you. Not to mention your code is always going to be true because you just placed an assign operator, and created a new boolean variable everytime your code runs. You've got 100% crit! Holy ****!

On topic:
    PvE perspective: +Channel will waste your mana faster since you're casting spells more often, whereas crit will save mana because in one crit you're dealing two spells worth =D

PvE perspective: For a .5 second difference, you will have to throw as many spells as you can hoping to kill an opponent before his hiero ticks again.
    Or have a chance to crit and bypass his hiero completely.

Your pick!

Side Tracked:
    Damn, you're right. Looks like I gotta brush up on my C++ before I take CS 235 in the Fall! :P But hey...if PWI was run in C++, it would make for some awesome hax... <.<;;

On Topic:
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head. :P Both -channeling and +crit are good. And if I'm reading Forp's message right, he has rings with BOTH +crit and -channel?!?! ...lucky sonofa...

..still, I'll stick with +crit. It's always been good to me. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• spirea
    spirea Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    - Channeling if you wanna blow even more as a wizard,
    + critical if you want to blow slightly less
    edited June 2009
    spirea wrote: »
    - Channeling if you wanna blow even more as a wizard,
    + critical if you want to blow slightly less

...that's what she said? b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    you really don't have a clue do you spirea?