Beware Of This Scam!!

Options

Comments

• Lycanclaw - Heavens Tear
    Lycanclaw - Heavens Tear Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    It's a scam. End of. No argument.

The fact that a player can try to take advantage of their fellow player who is merely trying to get through the game and take a huge sum of coin from them for their own gain is bad enough, but when the player who get's scammed is called an idiot, stupid and flamed and the scammer encouraged, you really begin to wonder =/

I'm thoroughly disgusted with a large number of posters in this thread. I'm absolutely certain 50% of players in any mmo are greedy, lazy, cheating scammers, therefore despicable behavior will almost always be defended to the death.

There's nothing right about taking advantage of, ripping off or scamming people and there never will be, no matter how much you pretend or reason it b:angry

Ooo "End of. No argument" because whatever you say goes..-_-
    get off your high horse. this would be a scam if it was illegal but its not. theres no cheating of the system here, maybe taking advantage of stupid people, but thats not scamming..thats taking advantage of stupid people

THE PRICE IS SHOWN BEFORE THEY BUY IT. THEY ARE NOT FORCED TO CLICK BUY. THEY ARE NOT BLACKMAILED INTO BUYING IT. THEY ARE PRESENTED WITH THE TRUE PRICE BEFORE CLICKING BUY.

if they choose to ignore the possibility it might not be the price they assume it is, thats their fault.(you just cant argue otherwise)
    i'm not supporting what they are doing, but im defending accusing them of scamming as its just dumb to call it that.
    i'm not arguing that its not scamming because i'm taking the sellers side, im arguing its not scamming because ITS NOT SCAMMING and if anyone cant get that by now then i hope they all go out n get ripped off buy high priced cat shops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mortie
    mortie Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    What exactly does 'scamming' mean according to you?

I believe it just means misleading another person in order to gain something. Which is exactly what they do. It's stupid to fall for it and the scammers shouldn't be banned, however, it really is a scam. If somebody is forced to buy something, or blackmailed into it, it isn't a scam. Scamming is when you give somebody the choice, but misrepresent the facts so they look favourable to the person being scammed. Which is exactly what is being done: they try and make it look like all the gems are a certain, cheap, price.

Scamming is incredibly common everywhere and people should always be on the look out for it, especially when there are no adverse consequences when the scammer is caught, like in an online game. To the person saying you shouldn't kick somebody from your guild because they scam as it isn't against the rules... Just like you are free to scam if you want to, you are free to kick somebody from your guild if you feel like it. You should especially be allowed to kick someone frmo your guild if you disagree with their ethics and feel like they misrepresent your guild.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    While I do agree that this is a scam, it's also the buyer's fault for not paying attention. When you hold your mouse over an item in a catshop, it displays the name of the item and the price. This should be your first warning, though many don't pay attention due to being in a hurry or feeling lazy. Okay, I can accept that. However,once you have selected an item for purchase from a catshop and the quantity to purchase, your total is displayed right at the buy button. Considering you'll normally have to look at or near the buy button, there's not really any excuse to not look at your total and notice your gem cot starting off as a 22 instead of a 24, or the fact that there are four numbers instead of three before the two zeros (and if you're buying for 4.75k each, there should only be ONE zero), etc.

And to anyone saying there should be a maximum price things sell for, I hope you also include a minimum so that people like yourself don't go and buy out on an item that has a market value of 50k but is getting sold for 5k by mistake and thus, "scam" the poor seller.
  • Lycanclaw - Heavens Tear
    Lycanclaw - Heavens Tear Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    mortie wrote: »
    What exactly does 'scamming' mean according to you?

I believe it just means misleading another person in order to gain something. Which is exactly what they do. It's stupid to fall for it and the scammers shouldn't be banned, however, it really is a scam. If somebody is forced to buy something, or blackmailed into it, it isn't a scam. Scamming is when you give somebody the choice, but misrepresent the facts so they look favourable to the person being scammed. Which is exactly what is being done: they try and make it look like all the gems are a certain, cheap, price.

Scamming is incredibly common everywhere and people should always be on the look out for it, especially when there are no adverse consequences when the scammer is caught, like in an online game. To the person saying you shouldn't kick somebody from your guild because they scam as it isn't against the rules... Just like you are free to scam if you want to, you are free to kick somebody from your guild if you feel like it. You should especially be allowed to kick someone frmo your guild if you disagree with their ethics and feel like they misrepresent your guild.

its cunning, and in a way misleading, but not so much that you can call it scamming. i see "scamming" as cheating someone by means of breaking the rules and hiding facts from them, now as ive said and many have said ENOUGH times.. the facts where there, whether the buyer chose to read them or just assume all shards were the same price.
    someone 'assumed' something was a set price and bought it without reading the actual price, Which by the way WAS on display and if the buyer was carefull they could have seen it.

if the shard said 5k, but was rigged to take 200k, that would be a scam.
    if the seller had told them that all the shards were 5k including the one selling for 200k.. that would be a scam in a lesser form..BUT the seller was an afk catshop.. they didnt tell the buyer that all the shards would be 5k and that there wouldnt be varying prices, they have the freedom to charge what they want (as they bloody well should have).. they charged different prices of the same item, oh no! send them to hell.

You say scamming is when the facts are misrepresented. well..The price of each different shard was shown, it didnt say 5k on the particular shard that sold for 200k, IT SAID 200k on it. it told the buyer it would be 200k. thats not misrepresenting if it showed its frikken true price. The seller DID NOT tell the buyers that the shards would be the same price, so how is that misrepresenting? they should not have assumed everything would be the same price.

the seller didnt go out of their way to pull this off and they didnt single anyone out.. they decided they'd use their right of being able to charge what they want.. and sell the shards at different prices.. and if numb nuts comes along and buys them all, and afterwards decides hes not happy with the price he paid for some, thats his fault.
    its not a bloody scam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flieyah - Dreamweaver
    Flieyah - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I don't think the solution is to ban people who charge outrageous prices. But in this situation, a simple solution would be to only allow items with the same price to be stacked. Once the price changes, another stack would be created.

If that were done, this scam would no longer work.
    "What we do is what you just can't do."
    b:cool
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I don't think the solution is to ban people who charge outrageous prices. But in this situation, a simple solution would be to only allow items with the same price to be stacked. Once the price changes, another stack would be created.

If that were done, this scam would no longer work.

If I understand what you are saying correctly, it already works as you describe. Each stack of stones is listed for a single price. 4 of the 5 stacks have one price (a low one) and one stack has a high price. All of the high price items are in their own stack. The "scam" only works because people do not bother to look at the price of the 5th stack because they assumed it would be the same as the first four.
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    its cunning, and in a way misleading, but not so much that you can call it scamming. i see "scamming" as cheating someone by means of breaking the rules and hiding facts from them, now as ive said and many have said ENOUGH times.. the facts where there, whether the buyer chose to read them or just assume all shards were the same price.
    someone 'assumed' something was a set price and bought it without reading the actual price, Which by the way WAS on display and if the buyer was carefull they could have seen it.

if the shard said 5k, but was rigged to take 200k, that would be a scam.
    if the seller had told them that all the shards were 5k including the one selling for 200k.. that would be a scam in a lesser form..BUT the seller was an afk catshop.. they didnt tell the buyer that all the shards would be 5k and that there wouldnt be varying prices, they have the freedom to charge what they want (as they bloody well should have).. they charged different prices of the same item, oh no! send them to hell.

You say scamming is when the facts are misrepresented. well..The price of each different shard was shown, it didnt say 5k on the particular shard that sold for 200k, IT SAID 200k on it. it told the buyer it would be 200k. thats not misrepresenting if it showed its frikken true price. The seller DID NOT tell the buyers that the shards would be the same price, so how is that misrepresenting? they should not have assumed everything would be the same price.

the seller didnt go out of their way to pull this off and they didnt single anyone out.. they decided they'd use their right of being able to charge what they want.. and sell the shards at different prices.. and if numb nuts comes along and buys them all, and afterwards decides hes not happy with the price he paid for some, thats his fault.
    its not a bloody scam.
    It also depends on what the shop's title says. I've come across a few of these shops, all of them had a title similar to "Blem. 8kea" or whatever the grade price is. Having that last one almost 10 times as expensive, sometimes even more, is a gross misrepresentation of commonly-accepted prices in the PWI economy. Just as the buyer is hoping that all of the shards are the same price, the selling is hoping that the buyer just buys and gets the hell outta dodge...so it goes both ways. It's one of those arguments that Aristotle made famous...an argument where both sides have valid points, and both can be accepted as truth.

Thus, I see no more sense arguing over this. You can say that it was the buyer's fault for assuming all of the shards would be the same price..but at the same time, it can be said that the seller was at fault for grossly overpricing the final shard in hopes that the buy would rush to get their goods. An impasse is reached, and no more constructive means to further the argument can be presented.

This is the TRUE end of argument.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Batista - Dreamweaver
    Batista - Dreamweaver Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Any purchase at a catshop is "Buyer Beware!" ... I take that approach on every purchase, whether it be a catshop or NPC. Also, the purchasing system asks you to verify before the actual purchase. Always check and doublecheck.
    Batista (85 Cleric) {Semi-Retired Character}
    Venom (55 Venomancer) {Main Character - On Vacation}
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    territorywar.info (Dreamweaver TW Maps) (Updated 08/28/2010)
    battleoftheimmortals.com (Under Major Construction)
  • Flieyah - Dreamweaver
    Flieyah - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    erethizon1 wrote: »
    If I understand what you are saying correctly, it already works as you describe. Each stack of stones is listed for a single price. 4 of the 5 stacks have one price (a low one) and one stack has a high price. All of the high price items are in their own stack. The "scam" only works because people do not bother to look at the price of the 5th stack because they assumed it would be the same as the first four.

In that case it's their own fault and they get no sympathy from me. If you are that unattentive, then you deserver to be scammed.
    "What we do is what you just can't do."
    b:cool
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    i think im gunna start doing this too but in a not so obvious method
    charge like x amount on the first 4 and something like 10k on the last so the price isnt noticeable lol,
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    In that case it's their own fault and they get no sympathy from me. If you are that unattentive, then you deserver to be scammed.

"You'll get no sympathy from me...?" Ike much?

ಥ_ಥ ...beautiful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Saomuel - Dreamweaver
    Saomuel - Dreamweaver Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The seller is obviously trying to scam, but he should not be banned. As said before, all prices was visible and should be checked by the buyer. Also, the total amount is shown near the "Buy" button, and it must be double checked too. Five gems for 5k each gives you an total of 25,000 coins. In this case, the value shown was 220,000 coins. If the buyer didn't saw this, sorry, but he deserved be scammed.

In any case, is clear that the seller was trying to scam people, but there's not 100% sure no this case. He said on catshop title "gems cheaper than other catshops", and in fact, it was cheaper. Not all, but almost all are. So he's not lying. If the seller says on title "Gem for 5k" and there's one gem for 50k, this is an scam attempt with 100% sure proof, so he should be banned - with proof. Or even be disconected (to close the shop) and warned.
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Why? he was technically selling gems for 5k. I'm absolutely sure given a larger shop title he would have added "..and one pile of gems at 50k each since they were imported and I have kids to feed, not to mention the rent just went up on lag insurance".

Honestly, just make gems yourself and you'll avoid this. Level 2 of crazy stone gives you an extra 100exp and 20spirit, and that adds up ya know.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Seriously, how dense are you guys to be lawyers and just try to loophole out of something?

If I had 1 IQ, I would think what he or she did was bad...

Now if I had over 200 IQ, I would think on how technically he wasn't trying to scam or maybe did an honest mistake. Or had a loophole through his Seller's action.

See? Think simple. You lost money. You felt bad. Therefore, that seller was a scammer. He or she deserves to be punished for his or her actions.

P.S. Well if we don't punish that dude... ugh... yea.. You know
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
    edited May 2009
    Options
    in all rights, it -is- a scam, but no he doesnt deserve to be punished.

the TOS states:
    j) Engage in any actions that defraud or attempt to defraud, scam or cheat others out of any items that have been earned through authorized game play;

he did not coax, plead, beg, or misinform anyone, as the price is in plain sight, if one is ignorant and overlooks the price out of impatience, they are at a loss for their own impatience.

all you can do is inform others to watch out and look before purchasing, otherwise, you deserve what the blue collar comedy tour says you do:
    'stupid people outta wear a sign'
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    You bought an overpriced item after agreeing to it TWICE and you did not even noticed? How is your lack of attention someone elses problem... This is like saying player xyz cheats because they killed you while you not paying attention.....
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    If the seller says on title "Gem for 5k" and there's one gem for 50k, this is an scam attempt with 100% sure proof, so he should be banned - with proof. Or even be disconected (to close the shop) and warned.

Even then, if even one of the 12 cat shop spaces is empty it is possible that it could have held a 5k gem that was already sold, in which case the title was true when the shop was set up, but is not any longer. Even if all 12 spaces are filled with items it is possible that he was selling gems for 5k earlier and he forgot to change his title. Such a mistake should not be a bannable offense.
  • RazerXD - Lost City
    RazerXD - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Even then, if even one of the 12 cat shop spaces is empty it is possible that it could have held a 5k gem that was already sold, in which case the title was true when the shop was set up, but is not any longer. Even if all 12 spaces are filled with items it is possible that he was selling gems for 5k earlier and he forgot to change his title. Such a mistake should not be a bannable offense.

rofl......this thread is a phail.

If most of you had played many mmorpgs , you guys/girls should know about this kind of tricks. But sadly there is nothing you can do about it. Your fault for not checking.

Even if the shops name says selling 5k Gems and he puts 50k on the gems to sell. There is no harm in doing it. Its the buyers duty to check the prices and not blindly buy stuff from catshops.

The thread starter is only QQing cause he was 1 of the three blind mice.
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I remember something like this happening on LC. I think it was when nix's first came out, and i mean like the next day or so, but someone put NIX EGG on a cat shop with a tortoise egg priced at 1mil...or maybe more. Needless to say, someone bought it. That's why you always double check what you buy and what prices you buy them at. Also, i heard there was another scam where you trade an item and then replace it with another one. For example you take a Wheel of fate and try to sell it to someone, but then you replace it with an item that looks the same way as it, theres a quest item that has the same icon, anyway you do that and you get ~1mil coin and the other person gets a crappy weapon. I saw this happen to someone on the forums...idk who though. Anyway, just remember to be careful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • turdbucket
    turdbucket Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    i sold my Panther mount for 200k, spurred. Now i could have got alot more for it (from checking AH and WS) but i didnt. Just wanted to make some lucky person day that little bit better :D

the guy that resold it probly loved u for the 600k profit
  • Paulita - Dreamweaver
    Paulita - Dreamweaver Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    you do realize that if they make objects unsold to what the greedy players want, it will be runescape all over again with big economic drop, people will end up leaving the game... at least that's what i heard
    b:shocked
  • Abominus - Sanctuary
    Abominus - Sanctuary Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am the OP, and this will be my last statement on this issue.

For those of you who took my intended purpose of the post, to be alerted that this practice exists and be wary yourself, and perhaps even offer alternative solutions to completing the CS quest, I appreciate it. I truly do.

However to those who replied and had nothing to offer the post except "I am too smart, you were stupid/lazy/ignorant/foolish/dumb/ect." I don't appreciate that. I already said that about myself, what purpose of telling me what I openly conceded serve? Again, and FOR THE LAST TIME, I was not attempting to get anyone banned/in trouble, and admitted my own fault for falling for it. I only wanted to bring it to people's attention so they would pay closer attention themselves and not fall for it.

This will be the last time I will attempt to communicate any sort of helpful information in these forums, because it seems that many of you look through the posts in them, and instead of offering anything substantive, take them as opportunities to admonish people, and to sound off about how clever you are. I really enjoy helping people, but I'm not willing to be called an assortment of colorful adjectives nor be looked down upon to do it. I will instead keep any advice/tips strictly in game. I guess the old adage is true...no good deed goes unpunished.
  • Smokesalot - Heavens Tear
    Smokesalot - Heavens Tear Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    people are gonna pull stuff like this- dont be a sucker and take your time while shopping.
  • Amnieran - Heavens Tear
    Amnieran - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Don't you love those it's a scam but not fraud situations...

Well, it's either leave it the way it is or rip off an floor/ceiling model algorythm. powerpets used it when I messed around the site for a bit. I can't imagine the pain and frustration of programing the data in. (every version I've seen gets buggy the second you get a new item

On another note: it would be nice to have a catshop per virtual square-foot limit rule and ribbons of catshop free area for those that have to go through some of those areas. Might help the variable lag times in some areas.
  • HuntresPrime - Lost City
    HuntresPrime - Lost City Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    They should not be banned. They did not do anything wrong. We are all free to try and sell our items for any price we choose. What I cannot believe is how successful they are. I have been hearing a lot of reports about this lately and cannot believe so many people fall for it. Heck, I check the final price when buying stones every time I do it and I buy only from NPC merchants. It amazes me that people would not even bother to look at the price total before they hit okay.
    fellow bandits protecting each other eh?
  • Pasha - Dreamweaver
    Pasha - Dreamweaver Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Roflmao!!!!
  • Mariejjane - Sanctuary
    Mariejjane - Sanctuary Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    better just make the stone ur self and make sure of any thing you buy .. if you do not chek wat you buy its ur problem no one force you to buy ....just be careful...
    100 demon veno
    90 sage barb
    90 demon psy
    90 demon cleric
    b:bye
    edited May 2009
    Options
    better just make the stone ur self and make sure of any thing you buy .. if you do not chek wat you buy its ur problem no one force you to buy ....just be careful...
    and if youre on sanct, watch out for this poster, she constantly trys to con people into buying people for heavy mark up, and selling their gold for way under market average.
  • Mariejjane - Sanctuary
    Mariejjane - Sanctuary Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    and if youre on sanct, watch out for this poster, she constantly trys to con people into buying people for heavy mark up, and selling their gold for way under market average.

why koz i buy gold 100k ? and you sell it 140k when new suff come out ??

ask any one i sell evry thing cheaper then most on this server

need 3 star deagon orb ?? i will sell 310k ...

ask you lol 360k !!...

you dont like me get the price down lol

buy cheap sell cheap evry one happy !!!

oh yes not you sry ^_^
    100 demon veno
    90 sage barb
    90 demon psy
    90 demon cleric
    b:bye
    edited May 2009
    Options
    you do not sell things cheaper, you sell them for ridiculous prices, like trying to get a spurred raptor for a wof. then you go and try and get people to sell you gold for 100k when standard is up in the 110-120ks. cutting people like that for profit is cheap.