Golem with herc skills?

Options

Comments

• Peritia - Lost City
    Peritia - Lost City Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    @ Solandri & OMGLAZERZ:

Great contributions, hopefully we can get some further number crunching and further close the gap between your models.

Also wondering if anyone knows the formula for accuracy, in order for it to be included in the model. I think it's important to note that at level 90:

Hercules: 2297 Acc
    Magmite: 1354 Acc

Not sure what sort of magnitude of gap that translates to on a "typical" level 90 mob, but I'd be very interested in finding out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    @ Solandri & OMGLAZERZ:

Great contributions, hopefully we can get some further number crunching and further close the gap between your models.

Also wondering if anyone knows the formula for accuracy, in order for it to be included in the model. I think it's important to note that at level 90:

Not sure what sort of magnitude of gap that translates to on a "typical" level 90 mob, but I'd be very interested in finding out.
    Well it was kind of a thread derail(and still is derailing), and overall irrelivent imho. I think the OPs questions were answered within the first page tbh, the rest of this has been pointless jargon.(Seeing as even if the magmite was better[which it doesnt even appear that it is], it doesnt change the fact that herc is better in every other aspect possible, so wont be changing anyones mind about anything)
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Thanks for noticing the mistake, Hari. I've gone back and corrected it. Surprisingly, the 15% increase to Bash damage doesn't change things much. Only a 2% increase in overall damage, less than half a percent change in the difference between herc and golem damage.

I'm still not sure about Bash always taking 1.25 sec regardless of pet attack speed. I suspect OMGLAZERS is right, but without anything in the game telling us, it's hard to conclude. Bash's speed might not even be 1.25 sec.
    Just a curiosity question here, but what would occur if you had your pet using more skills? Give a golem several attack skills, like Sandblow, or others like that. Could, it, using such tactics outdamage a Herc? Firing off 4 attack skills one after another? The cooldown would end up being close, I think. Could the spikes of each skill end up putting the golem over the top?

Well, if you could get your hands on a Claw book (+30% damage at level 5), you could put it on your golem. Then again, you could put it on your herc too. I'd be curious if that would be enough for the herc to keep aggro without Bash. Bash 5 on a herc represents only a 14%-15% damage increase over no Bash. So Claw's 30% increase would easily beat it.

I've been meaning to work on backing out the formula for accuracy, but haven't had time. If anyone else is interested in tackling it, here's how:

When you target a mob, it'll show you your chance to hit, and the mob's chance to dodge your attacks. Basically you target a bunch of different mobs using different equipment ensembles (+dex and +accuracy equipment) which change your character's accuracy and evasion. Write it down. Look up the mob's accuracy and evasion on pwdatabase. Do this for a bunch of mobs, then start plotting data.
    Well it was kind of a thread derail(and still is derailing), and overall irrelivent imho. I think the OPs questions were answered within the first page tbh, the rest of this has been pointless jargon.(Seeing as even if the magmite was better[which it doesnt even appear that it is], it doesnt change the fact that herc is better in every other aspect possible, so wont be changing anyones mind about anything)
    True. But I think it's necessary to complete the exercise at least once so we can all say, with mathematical certainty, that the herc does more damage than the golem. If nothing it'll assuage the min/maxers who are fretting that they're giving up damage when they switch from a golem to a herc. b:chuckle
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Actually, I'm hoping for the other side of the fence, honestly. I want to see if I really do need a Herc. And, as far as I've seen. I'm happy to say nope. b:pleased

Which is good, since I've started upping my golem's skills. I just need to put Threaten on him, and all I have to do then is upgrade. I'm liking what I have so far. Bash 4, Sandblow 1, Flesh Ream 1. I'm thinking that's enough to hold aggro on multiple mobs, even with people blasting away, but I'm not sure. Eh. I plan on having them 5 soon enough anyway. Also, is Threaten a good skill for a Golem to have? I use it with my Undine all the time, and there are things she tanks better than my Golem. Or am I imagining it?
  • Peritia - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Well it was kind of a thread derail(and still is derailing), and overall irrelivent imho. I think the OPs questions were answered within the first page tbh, the rest of this has been pointless jargon.

Topic derail? Perhaps.

However, as you mentioned, the original topic was soon answered, and as the question exists here now I see nothing wrong with answering it before the thread dies and falls into obscurity. The point of the thread was also, on a greater level, to contrast the pure capabilities of the Golem and Hercules with the same skill set, so I don't think it is a complete derail anyways.

Pointless jargon? I would disagree.

While I agree (as everyone would) that Hercules is obviously better, answering the question of exactly how much better is a rather interesting question, and I (like others, I believe) am interested in the final results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Antelope - Lost City
    Antelope - Lost City Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I think the spells on the Herc Infant and the Serph are really REALLY REALLY hard to find in the game... Kill 567,000 Horrorbites! BE a Horrorbite slayer and get one scroll!
    Level 1x WF. Harshlands (PvP)
  • Pouncy - Sanctuary
    Pouncy - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    First thanks for posting throughout the thread that we should stop posting and in the process contributing to the popularity of this thread.

Perhaps the Devs don't want us to know the Hurc just might not be worth it and loose millions in cash shop sales. Censure and belittling would obviously entail in that case.

Second this was a very fascinating thread. I learned more than I expected. I want to thank all of the many of you for your tireless detailed research. You truly are helpful people.

3rd I would like to talk about the survivability of the Magmite.
    What I think about is HP pool vs. enemy DPS vs. my
    healing power.

HP pool vs. enemy DPS:The pet has to have enough Hp to survive the highest damage output of the enemy attacking it.

Healing power vs. enemy DPS:Considering my (our) healing power has to match or exceed the enemy's DPS upon my golum for it to survive any length of time.

My golum and I at level 69 where able to handle up to 3 even 4 level 101 Basilisk Madtooths.

So my thinking is not so much of the HP pool but the protection of (PD and MD an defense skills) and replenishing of (heal) the HP pool.

I welcome any input to this question, positive or negative. Feel free to express yourself. I don't feel the need to censure anyone. Thank you in advance
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~,~;> An ounce of pounce is worth a pound of bounce <;~,~
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    First thanks for posting throughout the thread that we should stop posting and in the process contributing to the popularity of this thread.

Perhaps the Devs don't want us to know the Hurc just might not be worth it and loose millions in cash shop sales. Censure and belittling would obviously entail in that case.

lol first of all a herc is VERY worth it. I think some people tell themselves it's not because they can't afford it. :S

But you are talking about your golem soloing 101 mobs. Yeah ok...thats nothing. My herc could have soloed multiple lv 100 mobs at 40-50 with heal spam. This is what I'm doing now :

Dementora Broken and Busted

TT squad mode bosses. I wanna see your golem do that even with heal spam and herc skills. The huge difference in hp WILL get you killed. And this boss in particular resets aggro sometimes. Add the fact that golem has lower attack speed than a herc. That means you have even MORE chance than a herc user to catch aggro if you don't stop heal spam quick enough.

If you can save up the money for the scrolls, save up a bit more for a herc.

-edit- Oh and I didnt even think about a golems speed. Good luck in there even with the normal mobs. LOL...what a hellish nightmare that would be.
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    Devarsi - Sanctuary Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    so i've got a question about the Blessing skill.. at level 1 will it give the same HP boost as it does on the nix? or do you need to get 5 scrolls to level it up to level 5 to get the total hp boost ?
  • Peritia - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    so i've got a question about the Blessing skill.. at level 1 will it give the same HP boost as it does on the nix? or do you need to get 5 scrolls to level it up to level 5 to get the total hp boost ?

As with any other pet scroll, the scroll for the skill itself only serves to give the pet that ability at level 1.

To further upgrade the skill, you make use of Tame Scrolls (200k). Each Tame Scroll increases the level of the skill by one. Also note that many skills have level requirements.

Example: Teaching a Frogling Bash V
    1. Use Bash Scroll to teach it Bash I.
    2. Use Tame Scroll to upgrade to Bash II. (Lv.20 required)
    3. Use Tame Scroll to upgrade to Bash III. (Lv.40 required)
    4. Use Tame Scroll to upgrade to Bash IV. (Lv.60 required)
    5. Use Tame Scroll to upgrade to Bash V. (Lv.80 required)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Succubae - Dreamweaver
    Succubae - Dreamweaver Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    If you perform this manner of adjustment for all the pets listed on Ecatomb, you will find that Phoenix and Hercules have the highest DPS of all pets. (Surprise!)

At lvl 90, with bash lvl 5, the scorpion has a slightly higher dps than the Hercules :
    Phoenix: 5461 dps
    Scorpion: 3002 dps
    Hercules: 2993 dps

EDIT: Er... What is the bash cooldown? The above values are with a bash cooldown of 6s...

@Pouncy - Sanctuary : I'm currently building a spreadsheet with all the pets stats, and formulas to sort them. However, I do not take the heal into account, but Mdef, Pdef and HP.
    I'm currently working on dps (the dps increase by level is not obvious), evasion, and hitrate.
    I'll put the results online very soon!
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    Devarsi - Sanctuary Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    ah okay thanks peritia .. i'm a veno newb b:chuckle
  • Peritia - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    At lvl 90, with bash lvl 5, the scorpion has a slightly higher dps than the Hercules :
    Phoenix: 5461 dps
    Scorpion: 3002 dps
    Hercules: 2993 dps

EDIT: Er... What is the bash cooldown? The above values are with a bash cooldown of 6s...

When I originally posted that, the intended subject was natural DPS, because the effect of skills is harder to accurately model. Not particuarly surprised that the scorpion would pull ahead when Bash is included.

The Cooldown on Bash is 8 seconds. Also, the casting time is longer than a normal attack, I believe I recall seeing 1.25 seconds thrown around as a decent approximation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Succubae - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Then with a bash cooldown of 8 seconds, the top ten at lvl 90 is :

1 - Blazing Phoenix: 5120
    2 - Scorpion (Pollen, Pup, Varicose): 2802
    3 - Petite Sawfly: 2769
    4 - Baby Hercules: 2748
    5 - Crystalline Magmite: 2722
    6 - Antelope Pup: 2423
    7 - Eldergoth Marksman: 2372
    8 - Cactopod (Bramble, Prickly, Soft): 2338
    9 - Nine Tail Foxie: 2321
    10 - Bloodthirsty Adalwolf: 2317

I didn't thought about the cooldown...
    Also I don't have the damage of all pets at lvl 90, only the most common. If someone know how to find the damage, given the growth chart, he would make me a happy venom...
    Still doesn't take accuracy into account...
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Also I don't have the damage of all pets at lvl 90, only the most common. If someone know how to find the damage, given the growth chart, he would make me a happy venom...

That's the million dollar (zen?) question. It's nonlinear. I've been trying to figure it out, but have been mostly tied up doing my taxes lately.
  • Pouncy - Sanctuary
    Pouncy - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    @Pouncy - Sanctuary : I'm currently building a spreadsheet with all the pets stats, and formulas to sort them. However, I do not take the heal into account, but Mdef, Pdef and HP.
    I'm currently working on dps (the dps increase by level is not obvious), evasion, and hitrate.
    I'll put the results online very soon!

I am grateful for all of your tremendous hard work Succubae. I think all of us here appreciate it.

My main concern is not so much DPS (maybe second concern) but survivability.
    If my pet is dead it can't do anything. I often play with some of my weaker pets to make it more challenging and learn to play my character and her skills better. Timing heals and casting DD, kyting and dealing with multi ads. makes for a lot more fun and experience in game play. I make it my goal not to ever run away from a battle (lest its obvious suicide against an elite)

I have started working on getting a Hurc but there is a large part of me that does not want the thing. This is why I appreciate so much your research into the other pets instead of just tossing them aside as refuse. I am sure I am not alone in my appreciation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~,~;> An ounce of pounce is worth a pound of bounce <;~,~
  • Succubae - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2009
    Options
    It's done here !
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    nice work, but you couldve bumped your guide rather than revive a dead thread -.-;
  • Succubae - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Actually, I just appreciated the comment Pouncy made and I wanted to answer. I agree that it's a bit late ! ;)
  • Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Obsessed's idea of skilling a Mag with Bless does seem to make somewhat more sense than skilling it all three Herc Buffs although... The fact that the skills are available means it's not a bad idea to skill them on some pet and Magmite might make a better choice than the cute rares some of us would use these skills on b:chuckle. While a Magmite could only hope to make a somewhat gimped version of Herc it does have another advantage besides it's needing only water; it can be traded. A well established faction might use it as an option to get some PvE jobs done when a veno owning an Herc herself is not available. It could also be given to venos at a certain range, for instance, if it's found it can be used to farm TT in squad mode. This could, however, open oportunity for treachery, and even if not outright stolen it might open the door for drama over who keeps it and even lead to eventual enmities and the faction falling apart from internal divission. Some evil mastermind may even conceive of using it as a weapon by merely providing rivals with one. In fact, forget i ever said anything, Magmite with Herc buffs might just be the most evil pet ever conceived...
    Edit; For some reason i only saw page 1 of this thread when i posted, good job all, the info in here is great!
  • cursedwarrior
    cursedwarrior Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Very good point.

Quote:Originally Posted by Peritia - Lost City
    I've seen almost all of the legendary pets' skills up on auction at some point or another... Admittedly at ludicrous prices though.

As for the damage question, I don't understand how people always assert that a golem is better than Hercules for damage. It's not.

Using Ecatomb's Lv.90 comparisons:

Crystalline Magmite
    Attack: 3240
    Rounds/sec: 0.6
    Attack/sec: 1944

Hercules
    Attack: 2672
    Rounds/sec: 0.8
    Attack/sec: 2138

If you perform this manner of adjustment for all the pets listed on Ecatomb, you will find that Phoenix and Hercules have the highest DPS of all pets. (Surprise!)

Also, since 0.6 and 0.8 attacks per second are the two most common values, those of you who want a quick way to make a meaningful comparison:

(0.6 Pet's Attack Value) x0.75 = Pet's Attack as if it were 0.8

(0.8 Pet's Attack Value) / 0.75 = Pet's Attack as if it were 0.6

ie. If my golem (0.6) has 1500 ATK and my frog (0.8) has 1125 ATK, I will find they have the same DPS.

The reason people think that way is probably because they noticed that it's a bit harder for herc to hold aggro when grinding. More damage per hit means Bash does more damage. Then they see the stats without looking carefully, which appears to confirm their preconception.

who thought your maths wrong?

the actual calculations for her is
    Time Damage
    .8 2138
    .6 ?

Thus
    .6*2138/.8=1603.5
    Damage is 1603.5 for .6secs which is a good deal 340.5 higher.
    translated in DPS its 340.5/.60= 567.5
    b:bye
  • Peritia - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    First off, this is a huge necro.
    who thought your maths wrong?

the actual calculations for her is
    Time Damage
    .8 2138
    .6 ?

Thus
    .6*2138/.8=1603.5
    Damage is 1603.5 for .6secs which is a good deal 340.5 higher.
    translated in DPS its 340.5/.60= 567.5
    b:bye

Secondly, I don't see what you were trying to prove here?

Assuming you meant "actual calculations for herc", you've made a couple of mistakes.

Your equation calculates the herc's DPS as though its attack rate was changed to (0.6 atk/s) without having its attack value adjusted.

Obviously the result will be quite low, as 0.8 atk/s pets already have low attack (as a balance to their higher attack rate). You then compared this value directly with the Magmite's normal DPS... This is a biased comparison, and does not reflect reality.

If you were trying to correct the herc's ATK value to compare directly with the magmite, the DPS equivalencies can be found using the formula I already posted. Results can be found below:

Hercules (2138 dps)
    2672 ATK @ 0.8 atk/s (real)
    3563 ATK @ 0.6 atk/s (imaginary)

Crystalline Magmite (1944 dps)
    2430 ATK @ 0.8 atk/s (imaginary)
    3240 ATK @ 0.6 atk/s (real)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    LOL get a cub little bear lvl it up and you have 4x better pet...

lol my friend have one..o.o

its take my armored baar in duel..and it 75.
    And it have MUCH more hp and def then magnite.
    If y lvl skills up to 5 its a good pk pet too..bc of the stun skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    A cub is an ok tank, but it's at best 2/3 as good as a herc (and that's after investing several million to give it herc skills). A walker is a better choice, and puts out more damage. It gets up to 75% of a herc after a very large investment.
  • InocentHeart - Lost City
    InocentHeart - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    And also the herc is kinda 60+ mil now so i would much rather setttle for a magmite if u can buy buffs for 300k each
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Buffs sell for millions, not 300k. Besides, gold has gone down from 450k to 300k. A herc is easier to obtain right now than 6 weeks ago (anniversary packs again may change that briefly, though if you were smart and stocked up on gold there's a pet pack sale to take advantage of).

Besides, 60 million really isn't that much. There's numerous ideas in this forum about making coin. Infact, two months ago I posted an idea for people that wanted to get themselves a herc. I estimated 3 weeks for it rather than 8 (it was delayed 4 weeks due to anniversary packs, and my estimate ended up slightly off) where I pointed out how to get one for very little effort. If you followed that advice, you would have a herc at this very moment.

Anyways, if you don't want a herc that's your choice... but to the people that say customizing another pet makes it nearly as good, it's just not true.
  • ewingoil
    ewingoil Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I don't think a Mag would be able to handle the mag attacks even with herc buffs and why spend all this coin just for buffs.It would be best to save up for the herc and if you don't want to play another class that will get into instance areas possibly psychic.It only cost $125 in real money just save and buy when packs are on sale the faction my Veno is in did just this.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    If I were to use Herc buffs on something, it would be to do something Hercs can not do: not so it can do less than 2/3 what a Herc can. That said, you can put them on a water pet, a ranged pet (for tanking some World Bosses a Herc can't), or a grinding pet. I wouldn't use them on a non ranged tank pet or an air pet.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    If I were to use Herc buffs on something, it would be to do something Hercs can not do: not so it can do less than 2/3 what a Herc can. That said, you can put them on a water pet, a ranged pet (for tanking some World Bosses a Herc can't), or a grinding pet. I wouldn't use them on a non ranged tank pet or an air pet.
    boredom and excess of funding has led me to put these buffs on a phoenix. with a couple of veno friends, and their two pets, we plan to do WBs :).

if you look around the forums theres pics of a squad of venos + blessing herc taking on watcher of chasm, completing the act in about a half an hour if i remember correctly, so the theory is plausible, seeing as all its stats but hp are better.

money and frivolous activity is fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • ewingoil
    ewingoil Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »

What pets would you suggest?