Expansion Preview - Genie System

Comments

• King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i didn't like the new system...

to my mind baby pets should give some minor benefit. like some random heal if your hp is low, random curse removal and so on...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • elmii
    elmii Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    first of all, you're a male archer, you already look...you know

second of, you want a fairy male next you your already *** looking char?

sorry to tell you this bud but in this game, you have to play a female char, anything else does look ****...sorry

i agree having a small dragong or panther or whatever is cooler but, playing a male char means you lose either way XD
    I know XD that s exactly why I don t wanna make him look even more **** b:laugh and I would prefer to have a male fairy next to my veno :P And i don t see how do the barbs look **** in any way XD
  • Philly - Harshlands
    Philly - Harshlands Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Taking this away will require some skill to play there class.
    THANK YOU b:victory
  • Miss_Seducer - Heavens Tear
    Miss_Seducer - Heavens Tear Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Greetings Everyone,

There have been some rumors bouncing here and there about a new pet system in Perfect World International. Recently I posted stating that there is in fact a new system in the works, and I'm here today to give you a quick run down of this new feature.

Keep in mind that this system is still currently in development and none of the below information is final:

Genies
    Genies are a new way to customize your character and accent your existing gameplay experience.

The Genie System is a new pet system unlike the pets that are currently associated with the Venomancer class. These Genies have their own independent skill system, equipment slots, as well as an elemental affinity system.

Skills
    Genies have a variety of skills that can be learned according to what elements you have geared them towards. Below are some example skills:

Electro Dance
    Affinity Requirement: Metal Level 8
    Learned at Level: 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80
    Description: Summons multiple Thunder Birds to strike targets around you.
    Function: Deals metal damage to all targets around you. (Only available while flying.)

Blood Clot
    Affinity Requirement: Wood Level 1, Earth Level 1
    Learned at Level: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50
    Description: Thickens your blood, forcing it to clot.
    Function: Removes any bleed status effect from yourself.

Frozen Domain
    Affinity Requirement: Water Level 6, Earth Level 5
    Learned at Level: 52, 57, 62, 67, 72, 77, 82, 87, 92, 97
    Description: Freezes the water around you, inhibiting targets around you.
    Function: Immobilizes targets around you, while also reducing their attack speed and casting rate. (Only available while in water.)

Earth Blaze
    Affinity Requirement: Fire Level 6
    Learned at Level: 28, 33, 38, 43, 48, 53, 58, 63, 68, 73
    Description: Sets the earth ablaze, igniting the feet of your targets.
    Function: Deals fire damage to multiple targets around you, reducing their fire resistance. Targets affected by this spell initially have their movement speed increased, then shortly after suffer from a decrease in movement speed.

Banish
    Affinity Requirement: Metal Level 5, Water Level 6
    Learned at Level: 52, 57, 62, 67, 72, 77, 82, 87, 92, 97
    Description: Banishes a friendly target to another plane of existence.
    Function: Renders friendly target immune to physical damage, while at the same time silencing them.

Rainbow Blessing
    Affinity Requirement: Metal Level 1, Water Level 2, Fire Level 2
    Class Requirement: Winged Elves Only
    Learned at Level: 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65
    Description: Randomly buffs a friendly target.
    Function: Randomly buffs one of the following statistics: Physical Damage, Magical Damage, Critical Hit Rate, or Casting Speed.

Rumbling Thunder
    Affinity Requirement: Metal Level 7
    Class Requirement: Available to all classes except Venomancer
    Learned at Level: 31, 36, 41, 46, 51, 56, 61, 66, 71, 76
    Description: Shoot an energy ball of thunder at your target.
    Function: Deals metal damage calculated according to your Physical Attack Hit Rate.

Again, all of the above are subject to change. Feel free to ask any questions within this thread and we'll do our best to get answers for you guys as soon as possible.

Question:
    1) These are all class pets?
    2) Are they available ingame or via cash shop?
    3) If they are ingame, are they available from an NPC?
    4) Is the cost if they are available from NPC one that new players / now starting out can afford?
    5) I notice the term elements. Does this mean that Genies can be multi elemental?
    6) Will these act as separate pets, or work like the current pets, in other words, can you have both a Genie and a Venomancer pet out at the same time?
    7) Continuing from 1, can you have multiple genies out at the same time?
    8) Will these pets suffer the PvP damage reduction or have their full power available for that?
    9) Do these go into the pet bag, or a separate window we currently have no access to?
    10) Are these genie skills active abilities or passive abilities?
    11) Do genies start off with a base affinity / skills or do genies all start the same?
    12) What level is this new content targeted at? (the last expansion added content at 70+)
    13) Is it possible to maximize all affinities for a genie (such as normal skills) or are affinity points limited by level (such as stats)?
    14) Is it possible to reset affinity levels?
    15) What is the maximum number of genies you can have? How easy is it to swap between genies? (I'm assuming this is similar to pets)
    16) You mention "equipment slots". What kind of equipment will go in these slot? What are the effects of the equipment on the genie.
    17) Are they available in FBs/TTs/TWs?
    18) Will this be available to venomancers / will dual summon be available?

Answer:
    1) Genies will be available to all classes.
    2) They will be available in-game, not via the cash shop.
    3) More details will be provided in the near future regarding how to attain one.
    4) Same as 3.
    5) As your Genie levels up, you'll gain points that can be distributed into different elements on your Genie. The selection of these elements will determine what skills your Genie can learn.
    6 and 8) You can think of the Genie's as an alternate skill set for your character. Some skills are buffs, some are attacks, it all depends on how you customize your Genie. It is my understanding as of now that the Genies do not directly participate in combat, and hence, do not take damage. (This may be subject to change.)
    7) You can only have one genie out at a time.
    9) More information will be released soon regarding the logistics of Genies and how to mange them.
    10) Primarily active abilities, but that does not rule out the possibility passive abilities.
    11) Currently as it stands, all Genies start with the same base affinities. This could change however as the system gets closer to launch.
    12) As you can see from the example skills, the Genies will be available to characters of all levels, low and high alike.
    13) Affinity points are limited according to your Genie's level. More information regarding the Affinity System will be released soon.
    14) This will be possible, more details regarding the process for resetting affinities will be released at a later date.
    15) More information regarding the logistics and management of Genies will be revealed in the near future.
    16) I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but more information will be released soon. ;)
    17) Yes they should be available in all of the above situations.
    18) Yes Genies should be available to Venomancers even when their pets are summoned.

Answers from xarfox (GM) Updated

Hello All,

Here are some questions and their answers:

What do the different traits do?
    The traits will build an elemental affinity for your Genie. This gives it more power when using abilities against monsters of the opposing element. For example if you invest a majority of your Genie's points into water, then it will become stronger against monsters associated with the fire element.

Can Venomancers use Genies? If so, can they have a regular pet summoned, as well as a Genie summoned at the same time?
    Yes, Genies are all class pets, and yes, they can be summoned at the same time as normal Venomancer pets.

What do Genie's use to cast abilities/spells?
    Genies have energy and physical force. Genies require both in order to utilize their skills.

Side Notes:
    1) Having some shared skills really means less work for the developers since you dont have to tailor-make new skills for every class.
    2) I would suggest to the gms that u implement this genie system for a trial period of a few weeks to a month so we can get used to it see the problems and how it effects normal pvp. Then remove it and make necessary changes.
    3)

Side Note Answers:
    1)Actually there are some Genie skills that are specific to one or two classes.
    2) This system is currently undergoing testing in China and a large number of balancing changes have already been made.
    3)

supposedly the genies look like this but who knows lmao
    http://news2.92wy.com/Upload/Image/2009/0302/20090302115840107592.jpg

don't know if this is someone's creation or real, but here it is:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3455/3352276258_f1836b2210_o.jpg

might be one too dont really know no GM feedback on Design yet
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3352276224_08191cb50a_o.jpg
  • Miss_Seducer - Heavens Tear
    Miss_Seducer - Heavens Tear Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    just went threw 46 pages of all your flaming banter to do that for all you ^^
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    just went threw 46 pages of all your flaming banter to do that for all you ^^

Thanks MS

I must have this O_O
    3352276224_08191cb50a_o.jpg
    b:dirtyb:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Torinchibi - Lost City
    Torinchibi - Lost City Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Thanks MS

Great summary, we can only hope that people who ignored even the first page don't ignore your post...lol.

I wonder if we can find some1 to fraps some genie action from the chinese server.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    The Genie System is a new pet system unlike the pets that are currently associated with the Venomancer class

Question:
    1) These are all class pets?
    6) Will these act as separate pets, or work like the current pets, in other words, can you have both a Genie and a Venomancer pet out at the same time?

9) Do these go into the pet bag, or a separate window we currently have no access to?

Answer:
    1) Genies will be available to all classes.

6 and 8) You can think of the Genie's as an alternate skill set for your character. Some skills are buffs, some are attacks, it all depends on how you customize your Genie. It is my understanding as of now that the Genies do not directly participate in combat, and hence, do not take damage. (This may be subject to change.)
    7) You can only have one genie out at a time.

Answers from xarfox (GM) Updated

Yes, Genies are all class pets, and yes, they can be summoned at the same time as normal Venomancer pets.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3352276224_08191cb50a_o.jpg

I think we have to wait until more info is released. I think the info still contradics a bit due to being still in testing.
  • Cheaper - Heavens Tear
    Cheaper - Heavens Tear Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    nini09 wrote: »
    don't know if this is someone's creation or real, but here it is:
    3352276258_f1836b2210_o.jpg

i hope that's real lol
    omg im posting stuff.
  • Zdolnoc - Sanctuary
    Zdolnoc - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Dude if Genies look like that I'll take me the firery lookin one!!
  • nini09
    nini09 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    genies out on cn:
    3363968487_474dd8ef82_o.jpg
  • nini09
    nini09 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    sorry for the double post. here're some screenshots of genies.

3363958273_47572a2858_o.jpg
    3363958245_2279cb423c_o.jpg
    3364779768_c6436a4d4a_o.jpg
    3364779732_238aa561de_o.jpg
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Sweet. I was scavenging the CN website earlier today but couldn't find anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    genies out on cn:
    3363968487_474dd8ef82_o.jpg

any idea what that item you need 3 of to make 1 is?
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    Laranda - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    any idea what that item you need 3 of to make 1 is?

Offhand, it looks like a mirage celstone. o.O
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Offhand, it looks like a mirage celstone. o.O

yes i notice that but a few things share the same icons
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    Laranda - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    yes i notice that but a few things share the same icons

Hense the "offhand" :P
  • blindeyesniper
    blindeyesniper Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I went to the Chinese PW site and found the following info.
    It looks like you will get a Genie for free from a NPC but the element of the Genie will be random. If you want more, you have to pay 3 mirages. From the pictures posted, it seems like you will have a slot catered especially for genies on your character equipment screen. Also, from what I can gather, genie skills are not auto-cast and their skills cost a lot to upgrade. I would post the link to the forum post but I don't know if it's allowed. That's all for now. I'm gonna go back to their forum and see what else is over there.

Someone also claimed that you can drag genie skills to the skill bar and hot key it.
    They also have life and mana. I would guess genie skills require some of genies life or mana to use. I think mana can regenerate slowly but HP can't. Also, I think stones that you use to fuel flying mounts are being used as genie food to recover their HP/MP.
  • Jaberwachy - Heavens Tear
    Jaberwachy - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i cant wait
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tailpuff - Heavens Tear
    Tailpuff - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    ahah those are genies? always thought it would be a genie coming out of a lamp or something.
    btw how does a genie look like? i mean the ones showed here look more like fairies then genies. Atleast for me a genie is the blue guy character that comes out the lamp in Alladin from Disney b:puzzled But i guess the name doesn't matter.
  • Onxy - Harshlands
    Onxy - Harshlands Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Sweet. The genie system seems pretty cool. Can't wait.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    ahah those are genies? always thought it would be a genie coming out of a lamp or something.
    btw how does a genie look like? i mean the ones showed here look more like fairies then genies. Atleast for me a genie is the blue guy character that comes out the lamp in Alladin from Disney b:puzzled But i guess the name doesn't matter.

It is, strictly speaking what a genie is, kinda sorta, but not exactly. Genie comes from the French word genie which was used to translate jinni in the 1001 Arabian Nights when it was translated into French from Arabic, and it means a spirit that can take human form, and is can either be good, evil or mischievous. They chose genie because it both sounded similar and had a similar meaning as the French word comes from the Latin word genius which has one meaning which is "guardian spirit".

It is possible that the Arabic jinni also came from the Latin root, but I was unable to find anything to confirm that, but if it does it'd be intriguing that the word came full circle to be translated with a word that came from the same root.

So, a genie is more of a guardian/helpful/mischievous spirit that can take any form, and not necessarily a particular form.

EDIT ::: the forums won't post the accented e to properly spell the French word genie which has an accent on the first e.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited March 2009

Holy ****... i want one. And those cloths better not come out or gf will be all over it.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Torinchibi - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    ....I notice none of these people have fairies even with armors on. Are the genies replacing the faries(as in the effect of having a fairy fly around with the genie). I can see myself spending a lot of money/time to have every type of genie...lol.
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    ....I notice none of these people have fairies even with armors on. Are the genies replacing the faries(as in the effect of having a fairy fly around with the genie). I can see myself spending a lot of money/time to have every type of genie...lol.

It may just be display purposes (for the new expansion), so they show the genie only instead of both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lisette - Heavens Tear
    Lisette - Heavens Tear Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Does anyone have a possible eta for these yet?
  • Torinchibi - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Nothing has been announced, but if you consider cap on chinese server and here, just think about getting the cap updates first, it will take forever.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2009

It's getting hot here
This discussion has been closed.