Concerns About Cash Shop Pricing

Options

Comments

• parshath
    parshath Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    This is just a general chat now lol. But judging from human nature, noone is going to read any of this anyways. At most the next few guys that post after us will, but other than that, it'll be: "I'll just click and skip to the last page."
  • xkuramax
    xkuramax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    i want the GMs or Admins to open a live chat and allow people that feel strongly on to be able to talk to GMs or they going to just make decision and not tell us about it, and that would probably lead to more people leaving.
  • parshath
    parshath Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Having been a forums moderator myself (from another site), the chat does not work. It eventually turns into a spam fest and will just give more work for the moderators and admins to supervise the chat. I'd rather have their efforts focused else where. And besides, what's to say they will even care about the chat?
  • rev
    rev Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    well we have 111 would have been paying customers who have said that the prices are too high so far. You can see this for yourself (as I can't find the link elsewhere) here:

For those who haven't added themselves to the list : http://www.petitiononline.com/g345a165/petition.html

For the mods to see the numbers: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?g345a165
    "Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Harvey Dent - The Dark Knight

Phase 1 Dungeon Design Contest Winner!
    Entry: Hall of Forsaken Souls, Twas fun to design.
  • kojak
    kojak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    wow i just started today and i was want to pay to get some zen but as i see its to much lol

i spend to much money in the games but that it to much for me if it was low i can pay more then that to get but ah this is bad :S
  • aemroth
    aemroth Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Well, a lot has been said, but i won't give up on my 2 cents after reading through the whole 16 pages of this.

I agree with most of the arguments stated, and would only like to add the following: f2p games are obviously "free" in the literal meaning, but the section of the community that buys little or no item mall items cannot be overlooked. Why? Because they are a channel of conversion of in-game money to real-money.

I have not played the PW-MY version, as i only found about this game before the CB, but i am pretty sure a lot of players in that version sell cash shop items in-game to get in-game money.

In this particular way, the in-game economy is heavily influenced by the cash shop prices. Let's consider hierograms, for instance, without which gameplay and leveling is severely impaired (specially in a western market, where players are more prone to soloing compared to asian players). To a lesser extent, orbs, mounts, teleport stones, and flying items. These are all things that even players that want the game as free as it comes would like to get their hands on. If they can't they will probably abandon the game altogether. And i wonder what price hierograms for instance will be sold in-game.

Practical example to illustrate my point: long ago, i played kalonline. At a given point, a large group of people from a country with virtually no law regarding online payments was massively doing credit card fraud to sell cash shop items ingame dirt cheap. As a result, honest buyers could not compete with such prices and most stopped buying altogether. Dealing with a crisis, INIXsoft had to totally restructure their payment system to keep these CCF'ers at bay. By then, the in-game economy was totally transfigured and "freeloaders" mostly refused to buy items at prices equivalent to the ones practiced before the mass CCF'ers sellout, so honest consumers were still hesitant to buy. It took a lot of time and revamps and new stuff for the game to stay alive.

My point? Beyond the obvious "consumers will buy less", the in-game economy will be harsher for both consumers and freeloaders, with many abandoning the game in favor of other options (the whole comparison with the abundant p2p games in the market for an average 15$ a month comes into play here, as well as f2p games with a friendlier economy). This leads to less consumers, thus less income, and less freeloaders, thus less buying from consumers for selling to freeloaders, and less freeloader eventually becoming consumers, and overall less income.

I will not point fingers and insult and demand lower prices... There are many available games in the market... The loss is yours alone, so good luck :)
  • da1ca
    da1ca Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I've read quite a few replies after I read PWI's post, and all I can say is, WOW! Have the people running this game ever been to business school? Their basic stance is, you make more money, so we'll charge you more for the same thing. It's actually kind of funny. Anyways, I'd really like to spend some money on this game, but not with these prices, I refuse to buy anything unless they lower the prices, as it stands, I'd have to spend $100 a month to get all the stuff I want, and thats kind of ridiculous for a FREE game. The PWI people really need to learn about demographics and something about business, just because you can set a price of an item to whatever you want doesn't mean you should, and looking at the replies from the community, they really should re-think their pricing structure, cause in the long run, this isn't going to work out. You shouldn't be paying more per month to play a free game then you do to play a subscription based game. The same reason why Warhammer and Age of Conan are not going to charge more per month then WoW, cause it just doesn't work.
  • dagny
    dagny Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    ruve wrote: »
    dagny..
    Did you seriously just belt out numbers to me without a link to prove it?
    ROFL
    You're creepy.
    I never watch T.V. news, I read news groups.

I'm creepy/ You're insane... yeah I made up all those unemployment numbers

http://www.nidataplus.com/lfeus1.htm

happy?

Want to see creepy, try a mirror and not making up data you don't know and then find yourself unable to respond to being proven wrong by attacking someone else.... just sad.
  • jingjing
    jingjing Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I played a little bit of the CB. I absolutely adored this game. I have never paid a monthly fee for ANY online game ever. However, I have played Guild Wars for a solid two year and am still playing that on and off into a third year. I have two computers and spend a total of $270 over three years on two accounts, so about $45 a year per account. The game was fresh all the time with their expansion packs. I also play single player games and own quite a few of them.

As you can see, I am used to paying a very little amount of money for my gaming fun. After the CB, I have thought to myself that I would not mind spending more than what I am used to for this game, but there are limits. If I buy a single player game, I will spend around $30-$60 initially. The game will probably last me several months (some longer than others) before it gets stale. So, if I spend the same amount of money on PWI's cash shop, I expect my money to keep me entertained for that long too.

As it stands right now, the prices are a bit too high for what I am willing to spend.

My two cent.
  • dagny
    edited September 2008
    Options
    jingjing wrote: »
    I buy a single player game, I will spend around $30-$60 initially. The game will probably last me several months (some longer than others) before it gets stale. So, if I spend the same amount of money on PWI's cash shop, I expect my money to keep me entertained for that long too.

As it stands right now, the prices are a bit too high for what I am willing to spend.

My two cent.

My thoughts exactly. I bought $50 in Zen initially because that's what I would have spent for a boxed game. I figured I'd spent another $15 per month because I would have anyway. Whether or not I'll do that depends on what $15 buys me. The more it buys me, the better chance I will spend even more. The less it buys me, the more likely I will treat this as a "free to play" game.
  • greystok
    greystok Posts: 62
    edited September 2008
    Options
    merulz wrote: »
    So prices are triple what that of in Malaysia?

New MMORPG time. I really thought this was going to be the game, but I guess not.

Very true.
    Alot of us are thinking the same.Many still clinging to hope.I for one got paid today and feel like relaxing with a little online shoping other then buying from this company i'll be spending my money on a new mmo.

PWE you don't seem to get it let me put it point blank.

1:You just lost a paying customer.

2:This is my last post for this company.

3:All my Guides are now closed never to be finished.

4:To the players I bid you the best of luck.

goodbye everyone.
  • mojin
    mojin Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I know I've posted it before in the other two threads but I feel like posting it again to see how many are with / against it or can offer a better option.

Increase the amount of zen per $1 to 300 instead of 100, that effectively makes the current hiero/ charm cost to about 83 cents. And since at later levels some classes will be using 3 - 5 of these easily in a day I think that is a completely reasonable price. The $10 shirt everyone keeps pointing out then becomes $3.33 thus a lot of people are more willing to buy one. And they don't have to make a patch for the game just to change item costs (not sure if they have to now, but so far changes have only occurred after a patch)

Then on occasion have a sale on items, or double bonus zen weekends or something like that, everyone loves a sale, half the time i buy stuff i see on sale when i didn't even need it :p.

All in all the prices should balance out, if not compare with pw-my / pw-eu (when it releases pricing) and find prices similiar to theres, they can be slightly higher, but not 2 1/2 - 3x higher.
  • kinetikop
    kinetikop Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Sorry to see you leave greystock, good luck and happy gaming. =]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dagny
    edited September 2008
    Options
    mojin wrote: »
    I know I've posted it before in the other two threads but I feel like posting it again to see how many are with / against it or can offer a better option.

Increase the amount of zen per $1 to 300 instead of 100, that effectively makes the current hiero/ charm cost to about 83 cents. And since at later levels some classes will be using 3 - 5 of these easily in a day I think that is a completely reasonable price. The $10 shirt everyone keeps pointing out then becomes $3.33 thus a lot of people are more willing to buy one. And they don't have to make a patch for the game just to change item costs (not sure if they have to now, but so far changes have only occurred after a patch)

Then on occasion have a sale on items, or double bonus zen weekends or something like that, everyone loves a sale, half the time i buy stuff i see on sale when i didn't even need it :p.

All in all the prices should balance out, if not compare with pw-my / pw-eu (when it releases pricing) and find prices similiar to theres, they can be slightly higher, but not 2 1/2 - 3x higher.

I'd do it. I'd even settle for doubling. But nobody is responding, nobody is listening. The only ones who care are us reading the forum.
  • code
    code Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    no why would they care? people are still spending money on the over priced zen, thus they are making money and wont care. Untill they get into a bind and can't afford to keep the server running i doubt it's going to change really =/ Leave it to greed to ruin something people were looking forward to playing on and having a good time.
  • kinetikop
    edited September 2008
    Options
    They are reading these posts and they are discussing things, I was informed this after messaging an admin on the forums requesting an update. Just be patient and we will get a response soon enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cloud818
    cloud818 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Business is hard to maintain nowadays :cool:

Good Luck in your plans~
    Lost City
    Blademaster @ UnLimited
    IGN: Law
  • da1ca
    da1ca Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    As long as people are buying Zen, things wont change. If everyone stops buying until then we will see changes fast.
  • mojin
    mojin Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    kinetikop wrote: »
    They are reading these posts and they are discussing things, I was informed this after messaging an admin on the forums requesting an update. Just be patient and we will get a response soon enough.
    Then they should at least have someone post something like "Thank you for all the feedback, we are discussing the subject now and will have an update for you soon" so we all know there at least listening.
  • kinetikop
    edited September 2008
    Options
    mojin wrote: »
    Then they should at least have someone post something like "Thank you for all the feedback, we are discussing the subject now and will have an update for you soon" so we all know there at least listening.

I agree with this, that is what I recommended that Admin do, but since they didn't I leave it as there own decision and that's that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • buny
    buny Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I'm open minded! I'm willing to give them a few days to discuss it. I look for a response in a few days at the latest Monday. I don't think it would be wise to let this go over the weekend. But, I guess all we can do is give them time. I personally don't want to throw away this great game because they didn't get it right the first time. You can't please everyone.

The next big issue once the prices are changed is making the difference up to the people who already bought zen.

--
    Jaded
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sinful Leader
  • kinetikop
    edited September 2008
    Options
    buny wrote: »
    I'm open minded! I'm willing to give them a few days to discuss it. I look for a response in a few days at the latest Monday. I don't think it would be wise to let this go over the weekend. But, I guess all we can do is give them time. I personally don't want to throw away this great game because they didn't get it right the first time. You can't please everyone.

The next big issue once the prices are changed is making the difference up to the people who already bought zen.

--
    Jaded

I very much agree with you, and I already stated an easy way to make up the zen to the people who have already purchased some in a thread that was deleted, so I will post it again here.

The easiest logical way I can think of to increase the amount you get for your money would not be to change cash shop prices ingame, but increase the Zen per Dollar ratio, and with this you could "Credit" the players who have already purchased Zen the ammount they would be missing. Example : Player pays $50.00 Dollars for 5,000 Zen. The Zen to Dollar ratio is doubled so instead of 5,000 Zen for $50.00 Dollars you now get 10,000 Zen for $50.00 Dollars. Perfect World Entertainment adds 5,000 Zen to the account of the player who already payed $50.00 for 5,000 Zen so now they would have the amount they would get if they paid for the Zen now. Then everybody wins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thatsme
    thatsme Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    geneses wrote: »
    I think everybody needs to settle down. You chose to play this game, nobody is making you pay for the game...if you whine on here saying "I'm not gonna buy anything, HAHA!"...you're not harming them at all. This is a free game, and for those who have a thick wallet get to enjoy the better things in life. Actually, thats a fact of life isn't it? I think its unfair that Chevrolet charges so much for a Corvette that I'm stuck buying a Cobalt, but you don't see me telling Chevy to lower their prices cause they'll sell more. Rich people get good things. I personally would rather drop $20 here and there then have to pay a monthly subscription for WOW, EQ2, and the likes. Everybody is making it sound like all Americans playing this game are poor, well...if you're poor, oh well, you don't get the nice pretty Dragon Mount, buy the horse in the game. Sucks, but that's all you can get. So stop whining.

If I can buy a gallon of milk for $3 at one store, and the other store charges $6, I'm going to take my business to the store that has $3 milk, and on my way out the door from the Other expensive store, I'll give them a piece of my mind about their prices. Whining? No. Exercising freedom of speech and freedom of my footsteps and freedom of my "fat wallet"?? Yes. Newsflash. Most people with a fat wallet didn't get that way by throwing their money down the toilet.
    Same applies to this game.
  • poison
    poison Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    thatsme wrote: »
    Newsflash. Most people with a fat wallet didn't get that way by throwing their money down the toilet.
    Same applies to this game.
    So you're saying that PWI is practicing Reganomics, AKA Trickle-Down-Theory? Guess that's not too far off. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bulldog
    bulldog Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    xarfox wrote: »
    According to the CIA's World Factbook, these are the figures for GDP per capita in the US and Malaysia:
    Malaysia's GDP = $13,300
    United States' GDP = $45,800

All of these are based on 2007 figures and can be found on the above links by searching for 'GDP - Per Capita.'

Per capita income means how much each individual receives, in monetary terms, of the yearly income generated in the country. This is what each citizen is to receive if the yearly national income is divided equally among everyone.

1. You have players from Europe & Australia not only USA. Incomes may well be higher in all of these countries compared Malaysia BUT the cost of living is also a LOT higher. You can't as easily infer that we have a higher disposable income by merely quoting the GDP.
    The cost of operating and maintaining an MMORPG in the US is much higher than it is over in Asia.

The average salary staff members is much higher.
    High speed bandwith costs money.
    Having enough staff to maintain optimal response times on e-mails costs money.
    Having enough staff to monitor in-game for bots and gold spammers costs money.
    Having GMs that are not corrupt that do not favor players or guilds costs money.

2. Yes this is true BUT you don't seem to have looked at your competitors, I won't mention them here as they'll get deleted *cough wow*. You need to look what fees these AMERICAN based companies are charging and I'm sorry to say you have your heads in the ground if you believe your pricing is on par.
    We just want to provide you guys with a glimpse from our side. We want you guys to understand our perspective on the matter.

We would be stupid to not listen to our community, and as it is our community that supports our company. You guys pay our salaries, and it's in our best interest to make sure that we provide you guys with the best experience possible. We value all the feedback that we've been getting and will continue to keep our ears to the ground.

Feel free to fill this thread with your feedback and suggestions.

3. YES, you would be stupid to ignore the back lash, but as every day passes with inaction it's becoming plainly obvious you intend to ignore this feedback,
  • dagny
    edited September 2008
    Options
    poison wrote: »
    So you're saying that PWI is practicing Reganomics, AKA Trickle-Down-Theory? Guess that's not too far off. :D

Why would you post something like that? You need to rea dup on "reaganomics"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaganomics

being a liberal and not liking reagan is one thing, but misrepresenting is another. You actually can support your own ideology without tearing another down through misrepresentation. A country can be united with differing opinions through respect.
  • qianqian
    qianqian Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    rofl this is just like that time when I was with a white friend in China and he got charged 3x as much for a drink.

In China its *PRETTY DARN COMMON* if not customary to overcharge the 'foreign devils'. This is just the habit leaked onto an online game.

sigh~ the online MMO industry is like clubbing. Because in reality, its the game that chooses its players by setting a price and atmosphere that is suitable only for a certain salary bracket / age players.

Lets see what happens : D
  • severan
    severan Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    bonghit wrote: »
    hrmphh..........call me nuts but somehow i am just not pictuing a Bushman in the Khalahari playing this game on a T3 connection in the middle of the Savannah. If you meant the owner of a diamond mine in south aftrica then maybe i give you more props ok?
    I'm not an owner of a diamond mine, i'm not a citizen of africa, but i spend 3 months of each year there doing some work (which is none of your business) *around egypt*. I've seen people use a PC and get decent internet connection. I myself have used a wifi there. Just because it's not known don't assume they're in the dark ages, you'd be surprised @ the evolution of their technologies.

FYI
    There's a player here on PWI who is playing from Egypt.... he posted his intro a month ago. He is a customer.
    I'm in South East Asia atm, I'll be around U.S.A in Jan and move back to Europe next July and some other part of the world 4 months later.
    kinetikop wrote: »
    Sure it may not be likely, but you can't say it is impossible for someone from Africa to be playing this game, maybe not on T3, but it is possible. From the way you post you seem to like the prices and want the game to fail. Why not give constructive criticism instead of trying to tear down the other people in the community?
    ;) maybe he hates the term Africa. I was just having a global view since the title says INTERNATIONAL

@Topic
    3$ per heiro is nothing to me, what i question is value for money. If you change your product's name to PWA (Perfect World America) I'll use the cash shop at the current rates otherwise if you want to keep it as PWI (perfect world international) make your rates the same as MY version *minimum* and I'll use the cash shop. I'll continue to play as a free loader till then ;)
    Sever: Lost City
    Making players RageQuit since 2004

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello, You have reached Severan on The RQ carebear's automated phone system
    To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • hanno
    hanno Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I hope you guys can come up with something soon to fix this thing.

I understand that to maintain a higher quality game, it will cost more BUT two of my friends are deciding to quit because of this... cuz i heard people spend $100-200 to upgrades their gears in the MY... then imagine doing it in this game... yikes...

I'm still willing to play this game, but i see no point in continuing if my friends are not playing anymore, cuz its not fun without evryone...

SO YES PLEASE. HAVE A BIG MEETING THEN LOWER THE PRICE! thnx :)
  • syi
    syi Posts: 7
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Errrr wow I was just about to buy a Kirin mount came here and read this thread and was like ennn no way Im gonna spend $35-45 on a mount for a company with an attitude like this.

What kinda argument is it that we make more than people in malaysia? You do realize the cost of living difference more than equates the balance right?

For what I make here I could live like a millionare in malaysia.

Grow a better argument then come back and talk to us again.
This discussion has been closed.