Forum Moderators *To Admins*

Options

Comments

• ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ence wrote: »
    This is kind of off-topic but since someone brought it up, what's the Server/Channel for PW IRC? It's been bugging me a bit and I keep hearing references but had never gotten around to hunting for it.

irc.deltaanime.net #pwint
    There's a sticky somewhere.
    zezix wrote: »
    Why would we want an ***hole mod? Oh yeah, that would make this community a whole lot better
    Hellbringer is the most amusing jerk ever, and the only good RL that was ever on RF, solus server.
    Too bad he refuses to play here after I dragged him into so many garbage games, he's tired of the circle of death that is mmos...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • snaptrap
    snaptrap Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    There's not really a qualification to being a moderator as there is in the nature of the person. I've been to hundreds of forums, and many of them make the mistake in recruiting people who they consider to be "cool" but actually have no real interest in "moderating". These people usually end up abusing their moderation privileges by taking their aggressions out on forum members or using it for personal benefit or gain.

Also, I don't think it's proper to ask to be a moderator because it reveals the intent of your actions as a member. Let the powers that be decide on who would befit a moderator.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    t0yo wrote: »
    for some reason soukyuu has been banned here

Not anymore apparently.

Correction : Never apparently.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    anima wrote: »
    lol, contribute to the community is good.
    That's tricky, if you start answering too many questions, you'll get labelled "pseudo moderator". Funny that people want answers but are pissed when they get them :rolleyes:
    ren wrote: »
    You mean SouKyarmelia, the nearly identical guys who get flamed in irc every day? That's exactly why members shouldn't be moderators.
    Flame me all you want, I don't care. I'm contributing to this community as i see fit, if you don't like it - fine, i don't like you either.
    t0yo wrote: »
    for some reason soukyuu has been banned here
    lol wut? I was banned on the pw-my forums not here.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • matthew
    matthew Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Just say NO to assistant moderators. No no no no no no no.
  • kelo
    kelo Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I do think that mods which are not employees of PWE would be a bad idea. Neutrality will always be disputed, and can't be totally kept if you do.
    ~ Through the darkest of night, we shall shine brightly, revealing the path to both friendship and glory ~
    Kelovar, Radiance executor
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    kelo wrote: »
    Neutrality will always be disputed, and can't be totally kept if you do.

Depends what kind of powers they are given too.

Moving / closing thread and such are no big deal.

Banning users must be reserved to the admins/supermods, to avoind any conflicts/abuses

And they should have to send daily records of what they did for a supermod to have a quick glance of what is happening on the forums.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • sealed
    sealed Posts: 781
    edited August 2008
    Options
    If a Mod miss-use his/her power, you can easily send a screenie or the link the Mod behaved like to a Admin and they can bann him/her plus take away their Mod rights permanently.

And Mods powers will msot likely be:

1. Moving Threads
    2. Locking threads
    3. Temporary bans

A Mod shouldn't be able to permanently ban some one since it must be from a serious situation which Admins have the power to hold.

sealed~
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You can't send a screen if they keep deleting your posts :x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    all administrative actions, be it deleting a post or banning a user are logged by the forums software, and only an admin can clear the log, a mod cannot.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • itch
    itch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    This topic should be closed imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    So why was ryuuzaki made a mod despite a general agreement that member moderators are a bad idea. He's already living up to why members should stay just members.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • mystic
    mystic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Member moderators are generally a horrible idea because unprofessional mods (and lots of professional mods, for that matter) are likely to let their own personal feelings on a person sway their emotions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Selfish blood runs through my veins. I gave up everything for fame.

Pandora - 8X Mage - Lost City (PvP - The only server worth playing.)
  • ryuuzaki
    ryuuzaki Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ren wrote: »
    So why was ryuuzaki made a mod despite a general agreement that member moderators are a bad idea. He's already living up to why members should stay just members.

They asked, I accepted. If you take exception to anything I say or do, I encourage you to take it up with the admins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well, I'd be perfectly fine with not being a mod. I'm too hardcore to do so much as look at these forums after the game is out... and I'd hope that my members will be the same. The admins are good enough(and the 1 mod we have...), so just let them do what they do.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • emir
    emir Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    2 many people myself included are so arrogant bout themselvs they dont even notice it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    If you don't notice it, then how can you say you're arrogant?

... Anyways, yeah, tons of arrogant people. That's kinda off-topic, but I agree. Arrogance can be cool on some people - it really depends.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • rena
    rena Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I have a good amount of moderating experience I would say its a good thing. I always enjoyed such trivial things as maintaining a forum. But everyone point is very valid, a Mod should never have favorites in the least. If someone breaks the rules they should recieve correct action regardless if they are your friend or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=6931
    emberglades.forumotion.net/forum.htm
  • wildd
    wildd Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    mystic wrote: »
    Member moderators are generally a horrible idea because unprofessional mods (and lots of professional mods, for that matter) are likely to let their own personal feelings on a person sway their emotions.

Agreed, I have never seen any member/player who is promoted to be a mod keep his opinions out of his dutys, at some point there personal opinion general conflicts with what they should do and what they actually do.

And as a rule anyway who asks to become one should automatically not be one :)
  • arcane
    arcane Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    What powers are player mods given?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • snaptrap
    snaptrap Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ryuuzaki wrote: »
    They asked, I accepted. If you take exception to anything I say or do, I encourage you to take it up with the admins.

Wow! An actual moderator. Nice. I wish you the best of luck in this place. When they do a CB character wipe, prepare for a rash of "Where'd my character go" type threads. People don't seem to read or use forum functions much around here.
  • emir
    edited August 2008
    Options
    wildd wrote: »
    Agreed, I have never seen any member/player who is promoted to be a mod keep his opinions out of his dutys, at some point there personal opinion general conflicts with what they should do and what they actually do.

And as a rule anyway who asks to become one should automatically not be one :)

a mod can state his opinions respectabily

as long as he follows the rules he is inforcings its no problem
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wildd
    edited August 2008
    Options
    orinj wrote: »
    some of our current members worked with me before as mods on a previous game and my heartfelt appreciation goes out to them for their dedication and professionalism.

so in a nutshell -
    we're not recruiting atm, but we are looking at some potential individuals.

thanks again for all your continued support. have a great weekend, everyone.

- orinj

Sorry to cut the quote short :)

But if you don't mind me asking what was the other game you and the said mods was working on previously? As I've played or tried most recent mmo's out there assuming it was one, and quite curious as to which it was.
  • emir
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Sorry to cut the quote short :)

But if you don't mind me asking what was the other game you and the said mods was working on previously? As I've played or tried most recent mmo's out there assuming it was one, and quite curious as to which it was.

orinj is from flyff i heard
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wildd
    edited August 2008
    Options
    emir wrote: »
    a mod can state his opinions respectabily

as long as he follows the rules he is inforcings its no problem

If you are a player then it is logical to assume you are going to be biased towards certain groups of individuals, I consider myself quite a fair and open minded person yet can quite easily see situations that would arise on the forums where i would not moderate them impartially

And in my opinion anyone who says they are completely neutral are lying, as you have said above every person has there own views etc and even if they are perceived to do there job correctly there is always going to be resentment by some people as they feel favouritism has been involved as the mod is also an active player.
  • emir
    edited August 2008
    Options
    If you are a player then it is logical to assume you are going to be biased towards certain groups of individuals, I consider myself quite a fair and open minded person yet can quite easily see situations that would arise on the forums where i would not moderate them impartially

And in my opinion anyone who says they are completely neutral are lying, as you have said above every person has there own views etc and even if they are perceived to do there job correctly there is always going to be resentment by some people as they feel favouritism has been involved as the mod is also an active player.

you can be biased and have favorites all you want just dont show it

not to hard to hold it and take that anger out on something or someone if you pk

and if you got favorites talk to them since mods cant give out money or stuff its cool everyone needs freinds

but if they call you and ask you to do something thats where you have to be smart and handle things properly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rena
    rena Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options

That applies to all even our high admins, You always associate by first impression and if that impression is bad you probably will end up judging more against the person. You cant find a single neutral person but you can try to find the most fair and responsible person.

Either way the site is in desperate need for active mods. So many people are breaking rules without a care. We dont even have people to clean up the forum more less punish the rule breakers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=6931
    emberglades.forumotion.net/forum.htm
  • emir
    edited August 2008
    Options
    rena wrote: »
    That applies to all even our high admins, You always associate by first impression and if that impression is bad you probably will end up judging more against the person. You cant find a single neutral person but you can try to find the most fair and responsible person.

Either way the site is in desperate need for active mods. So many people are breaking rules without a care. We dont even have people to clean up the forum more less punish the rule breakers.

there doing the best they can i've only seen bout 5 admins/mods

im guessing once the game starts more will come
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ssrev
    ssrev Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    emir wrote: »
    there doing the best they can i've only seen bout 5 admins/mods

im guessing once the game starts more will come

I dont think we need many right now. its a tiny forum
  • emir