Four servers?

Comments

• vyron
    vyron Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    soukyuu wrote: »
    You know it and i know it. But do people who start playing MMOs know that? i doubt it. If they search for the definition of "PvE", they will find a "players versus environment". Chances are high they will assume there is no PvP in the "PvE" server. This is how i see it and that's why i think the name PvE is wrong.

Yes, i know UO. Quitted it after being tired to lose all my equips to a KoSer several times... ah, good times xD

I - don't - care - about - my - post - count.
    Was that clear enough? Or should i Pm the admins and ask them to reduce my postcount to 0 to prove this?

I already told you why i sometimes react like this - not in all my posts. And i still think that if you can't use the search function or read stickied threads you have to deal with this kinds of replies.

my edit wasn't directed at you bu at the fact itch & karmelia started the PvP/PvE thing again

Fair enough...

I was a PKer back in UO. Funny how I became one..I was PKed over and over by a guild..I remember the name "Company of the Damned" Eventually joined up with them and formed "Fires of the Heavens" which we were forced to change to "Fires of Heaven" They became famous later on as they went to EQ and beyond. I left them after UO thou. :)
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    For those who thinks 4 servers is too many..

The Philippine's versions also have 4 servers. And they enforce an IP block so only players from Philippines can play.

Here, they only enforce IP block to countries already having their own servers locally.

So PWI have a much bigger potential audience.

soukyuu wrote: »
    @karmelia: did you get my PM? i kinda have a feeling the system isn't working.

Check you PMs now ^_^
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    We'll see how they fill up.
    At least there won't be as much lag cause of overpopulation :D

@karmelia: did you get my PM? i kinda have a feeling the system isn't working.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    massamune wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything official either way, but I strongly suspect ALL the servers will be physically located in California, with just things like the TW times adjusted for east and west among them.

I think you are right, from the tracerts I did on them, all ended on the same IP (likely a firewall)
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • hypnos
    hypnos Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Is there any official announcement of having 4 servers?
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    hypnos wrote: »
    Is there any official announcement of having 4 servers?

There ARE four servers when you connect with the client.

Cannot be more official than that...

• karmelia
    edited August 2008
    nounours wrote: »
    Omg Karm, dont be such negative

I was? I think you missread what I said ^_^

Four servers IS an improvement compared to MY-EN's 2 servers.

• xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Ha then its you who missunderstood, for me 2 server is better, with there is a better management
    A BETTER management is the real improuvement!

The perfect stuff will be one unique server Pvp, with chanals...(you can travel btw them) with a really good
    management,
    like in flyff...

The problem with only having two servers is that there is a hard cap of how many players can play on these two servers.

I realize that you want everyone packed into two servers nounours, but you need to realize that there is a high possibility that A LOT more people will be coming to play Perfect World International. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • emir
    emir Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    massamune wrote: »
    Every bloody topic on here gets derailed on this pvp thing, it's really sad. I mean I don't even feel like posting much around here cause there's just too many idiots saturating the boards with hostility and ignorance.

Get a life people, pick whichever server you want on the 19th and stay out of everyone elses business. Either that or go cry about it in one of the many established topics on the subject.

The one thing we can be sure of is there's no shortage of players. Both servers are going to fill up quickly. Trying to recruit for one of disparage the other is just pathetic and unnecessary.

-.-"

To the admins: Choices are good, and thanks for the surprise of additional options (the East/West thing.)

when the game starts they can settle this

but for now pass the pop corn u fatty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • emir
    edited August 2008
    Ha then its you who missunderstood, for me 2 server is better, with there is a better management
    A BETTER management is the real improuvement!

The perfect stuff will be one unique server Pvp, with chanals...(you can travel btw them) with a really good
    management,
    like in flyff...

dude if you want to be with your friends go to there servers and experience the lagg

but most of us dont want hardcore lagging when we start playing so in our opinions its better for 4 servers

u guys made me forget wut this topic was originaly about >.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xarfox
    edited August 2008
    Thats why i spoke about chanals ;)
    Do you understand,
    that when you play a game, and you have hight lv a char(or not hight lv tough) on ONE server
    there is still soemthing missing,
    Your char is only in 1/4server,
    so only 1/4 people could see it, well all are feelings.. so 3/4 of your work lving was for nothing(i dont mean its true, just what you can feel rather what i feel tough)...

however, chanals would give the missing liberty and fix the problem,
    why to want separate evrybody?
    ;) well 4 servers its like that,, i couldnt change anything,
    but still sad, let me exprime my sadness :(

Perfect World International was not designed with a channel system. Nounours you are allowed to express your sadness. However when you repeatedly spam a post over and over with the same opinion and logic in order to bump the post, that is where we arrive at a problem.

Spam upsets people, and even more significantly, it makes people not want to read the boards. So please, expressing your sadness is fine, just do it once per post please. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • emir
    edited August 2008
    Read well befor post anything,
    -1st i only sugested that east and weast server become options,
    means that you choice btw pve or pvpp in a mean server, and then you have choice btw 2 chanals "chanal east and chanal weast"
    this fix the lag problem, and let you the liberty to change to the otehr chanal if you want....

wutever this coversation is over anyway

read the the big panda said

anyway

karm wats up ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xarfox
    edited August 2008
    Read well befor post anything,
    -1st i only sugested that east and weast server become options,
    means that you choice btw pve or pvpp in a mean server, and then you have choice btw 2 chanals "chanal east and chanal weast"
    this fix the lag problem, and let you the liberty to change to the otehr chanal if you want....

Again nounours, your suggestion is understood, but unfortunately that is not how the game was designed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nounours
    nounours Posts: 453
    edited August 2008
    xarfox wrote: »
    Again nounours, your suggestion is understood, but unfortunately that is not how the game was designed. This is your warning, please stop spamming this thread.

you posted same time i was posting that answer, and emir posted same time i was eding, Lol
    well;)

I should maybe delet all my posts here, it would fix the problem of my "spam"
    and now iam a spamer, its true maybe, i sould delet all my posts, ya.....
    ya after all why to lisena stupid guy withhis broken english, totaly useless to this community,...
  • xarfox
    edited August 2008
    you posted same time i was posting that answer, and emir posted same time i was eding, Lol
    well;)

I should maybe delet all my posts here, it would fix the problem of my "spam"
    and now iam a spamer, its true maybe, i sould delet all my posts, ya.....
    ya after all why to lisena stupid guy withhis broken english, totaly useless to this community,...

No need to be so negative towards yourself. You're passionate about contributing to the community, nothing wrong with that. Just don't spam in the future.

Now that we're done totally derailing this thread, let the discussion continue. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Now that we're done totally derailing this thread, let the discussion continue. ;)

Since we have Pandadmin with us, could you say if the four servers are actually on two different sites (east and west), or are they all at the same location with some optimisation done for the east and west population respectively?

I would guess it's the second option, from the server,s IPs....

• hong
    hong Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Sh*t, I didn't expect the EAST and WEST happening. I'm from WEST and obviously I want to play low ping but most of my members are from EAST. ='( Now what... I hope the ping on EAST isn't too high for me otherwise it'll be another MY-EN D: with way less ping but still lag on skills. Sigh, things just gets more complicated.
    RoC.
  • ranthe
    ranthe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Now i just have to figure out which server my guild from PW-MY is going to be on. my net connection is fast enough i get decent speeds connected P2P into Europe. So a game with a dedicated backbone and servers won't lag me at all. Hell i even got a decent connection with only about ~300ms ping to PW-MY and if i can live with that, connecting to either side of the country won't be hard at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hong
    edited August 2008
    There usually isn't a problem with WEST players playing in EAST, but it still kind of blows. Should just make a server with good ping for both servers and make it 4 servers.
    RoC.
  • tenkei
    tenkei Posts: 63
    edited August 2008
    what if you have friends in west zone (and u, you belong to the east).?
    why can't they just a make a "super server" with what you get a good pig, no matter where you are!

Not really the server's fault for latency, the primary fault is the Routers, Firewalls, Proxies, and badly configured Switches. All of these slow the transfer of data in a lot of parts due to all of them doing a CRC check to make sure that each little hop has good data.

Fear not though there are plans in the works for a better and more improved Internet that they are not calling the Internet. Instead this new network with speeds and latency that put any currently in existance to sham is nick'd "The Grid". It's a "Super Network" of sorts completely composed of the latest Opitcal Carrier (OC) lines with a more intelligent Full-Duplex structure so you'll be sending and receiving data at rates far greater then anything currently in existance.

Still though going to be some years before all of it's construction is complete. On top with how expesive that must be to build a structure like this, haven't seen any info on what the retail subscription price would be. I'm betting it's going to be expensive!!! :(
  • hong
    edited August 2008
    I got a feeling, playing on East with 100-130+ ping is going to blow. Still has delay like MY-EN.
    RoC.
  • ragingwind
    ragingwind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    tenkei wrote: »
    Not really the server's fault for latency, the primary fault is the Routers, Firewalls, Proxies, and badly configured Switches. All of these slow the transfer of data in a lot of parts due to all of them doing a CRC check to make sure that each little hop has good data.

Fear not though there are plans in the works for a better and more improved Internet that they are not calling the Internet. Instead this new network with speeds and latency that put any currently in existance to sham is nick'd "The Grid". It's a "Super Network" of sorts completely composed of the latest Opitcal Carrier (OC) lines with a more intelligent Full-Duplex structure so you'll be sending and receiving data at rates far greater then anything currently in existance.

Still though going to be some years before all of it's construction is complete. On top with how expesive that must be to build a structure like this, haven't seen any info on what the retail subscription price would be. I'm betting it's going to be expensive!!! :(
    That sounds like a new structure for the backbone of the internet. It's like when optical cable started to be used and became well-known. People imagined it running into everyone's home but it's still just being used for big companies and the internet backbone. Don't get too excited. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xkwisite
    xkwisite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I was just wondering if the west and east servers will have different times for event's,territory was,etc. so that their optimized for players on the eastern or western side of things? Or is this all just about latency?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swim
    swim Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Its just like any other game. I mean really... theres plenty of servers. So that happens all the time. Get over it...
  • sealed
    sealed Posts: 781
    edited August 2008
    WTF,
    The East and West Servers should be Channels like in flyff, for example I live on west coast, I play PW for 9 months and got my character to lvl 95, unfortunately my family decided to move to the east coast of America for family reasons, but I play on west coast server in pw, so about my lvl 95 character??? he is screwed, since the servers arent channels for you to change coasts with your character, I pretty much wasted 9 months to get to lvl 95 didnt I!!!! >.>

And PWI Company is located in Calafornia wich is West Coast, how will you have servers in the east cost, is there another PWI company located their??

And I think having two different PvP and PvE servers will separate the community, if I play on west coast server I can only meet people that plays PWI that live in the west coast, and the east cost is totally non existent on the server.

Xarfox please think about this more carefully, if a player plays on a west coast server and got his or her character to like lvl 80+, then suddenly he/she moves or go to vacation on east coast of america, then he/she has to start all over on the east coast server, I know you can still play on the west coast server if you live on east coast, but why cant servers be channels?? like you can switch from PvP east coast to PvP west coast, but you cant switch from PvP to PvE server, understand:confused:

I'm not with or against this, just typing my inside thoughts for Admins to know how their players feel about this;)

sealed~
  • prosper
    prosper Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    xkwisite wrote: »
    I was just wondering if the west and east servers will have different times for event's,territory was,etc. so that their optimized for players on the eastern or western side of things? Or is this all just about latency?

Yay, a good suggestion rather than another complaint to add to the heap. I for one like the system.
  • rena
    rena Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    1. It has been stated that PW is just not made to be run on channels, not that they dont want to but its impossible. Lets not have this thread repeating same thing over and over.

2. I heard from a few different people that both EAST/WEST both will be in california but just different event times. I have yet to see a admin comment on this. I also heard from mystic that EAST is in New York.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=6931
    emberglades.forumotion.net/forum.htm
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    sealed wrote: »
    for example I live on west coast, I play PW for 9 months and got my character to lvl 95, unfortunately my family decided to move to the east coast of America for family reasons, but I play on west coast server in pw, so about my lvl 95 character??? he is screwed, since the servers arent channels for you to change coasts with your character, I pretty much wasted 9 months to get to lvl 95 didnt I!!!! >.>

What prevent you from connecting to the west coast server if you are on the east coast? Nothing.

You'll get a little more lag, nothing more, and maybe it will not even be noticeable.
    2. I heard from a few different people that both EAST/WEST both will be in california but just different event times. I have yet to see a admin comment on this. I also heard from mystic that EAST is in New York.

At least currently the IP of the four servers all point to the same place.

• severan
    severan Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    The problem with only having two servers is that there is a hard cap of how many players can play on these two servers.

I realize that you want everyone packed into two servers nounours, but you need to realize that there is a high possibility that A LOT more people will be coming to play Perfect World International. ;)

ok official tech to tech talk.

this east and west server thing, well i just used some of my *cough* tools *cough* to test the server response time (dam you got tight security) i got 320 ms for both. i live in south east Asia, so technically if you had configured them to suit players from different part of the world ;) why do i get the same RT?

but a few minutes later that question was answered *a closer look made it clear*
    It doses not matter if you're from japan and you log into the east server!
    before all that, you need a GOOD ISP!

Good ISP = Good response time duh :eek: (i got T2)
    most ISP use DSVP or Shortest path routing methodologies latter if which is good.

anyway, this is to all the paranoid players who are worried about "lag" in the game... I'm from Asia and i'll be playing the server configured for American users! i'll have a lag if i do this, but the lag time *estimated by my tool is around 200~400 ms* is so low it's negligible. lets just say i'll be able to notice a lag once every 30 minutes, my game will do a "oooooo" *which wont even be 1 second* and then go back to normal - period -

Tech to noob translation of the above content:
    both servers are good, both will give you the same "gameplay" *lags included* the only difference is... NOTHING!
    considering you have a good ISP.
    Sever: Lost City
    Making players RageQuit since 2004

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello, You have reached Severan on The RQ carebear's automated phone system
    To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • birdie
    birdie Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    newb question I know but how are you guys finding out what your ping is.
    what is a good ping.?
    sigh....i just want to play. cant imagine that I will have worse time than i did on MY
    it ran pretty good for me
    I have two computers hooked to same router and one ran slow other ran just fine.. go figure. i know it had to do with the processor and the ram and the...... but all in all it ran great coming from where ever the servers are for MY.
    so for us newbies how do you find your ping and what is a good ping to have?
This discussion has been closed.