Selling accounts

Comments

• eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    I can see this being beneficial for pw, but i seriously question 1) how they would be able to track this adequately if they cant get spend promos right 50% of the time and 2) how they will be able to discipline account sharing any longer if its fine to sell accounts, think it will be very hard for them or us if its not monitored correctly. To me it seems like a high risk thing. So not that im against the idea i guess i just would be skeptical that it could work without other issues when they already have such a seeminly difficult time with what they already have to manage.

Then again it happens all of the time already so i guess they could ask themselves if they want to continue to turn a blind eye to it so they can get csers money or if they want to put some effort in to get a cut of some of the real money thats changing hands.

To me i dont see how this couldnt be managed externally either if its not against their agreement somehow. I mean, i assume PWE owns arc (not sure though) rather than PWCN. With account information already being handled through arc maybe its an option to make trades or account sales through zen transactions.
  • keihan007#7641
    keihan007#7641 Posts: 1,190 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    eirghan wrote: »
    To me i dont see how this couldnt be managed externally either if its not against their agreement somehow. I mean, i assume PWE owns arc (not sure though) rather than PWCN.

PWCN owns both, PWE and Arc, though arent those like one and the same thing? Thats why we will not stop getting updates till its past worth it to keep servers up and running, which is actually good thing for us knowing how well pwi does on China.
    BlackList vs Frenzied 3/17

https://youtu.be/RkkWkigYd3k
  • mooglemonger
    mooglemonger Posts: 111 Arc User
    Well then this would be a perfect opportunity to lighten the ticket load on cs without actually having to admit it. I can't see why, other then local laws, that we can't have this the npc that trades accounts.
  • dingo488
    dingo488 Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Last time I checked all the user accounts are property of PWE, how you gonna sell something that isnt even yours. Pretty sure thats illegal.

But since you are posting this from an anonymous alt complaining about why someone you reported hasnt been banned... _)_ Personally I'd welcome the change that account can be bought (which will never happen) and instead they can just permanently ban all the people that ticket others without them doing any harm to the game or its community.
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,795 Community Moderator
    edited December 2016
    The game is the same as any mmo. Catching up is hard. That's what kills mmos.

As for the GA program well I'll detail a bit of what I know.

A Clear Criteria was set for this Program. It was not followed was kept Secret and No one even knew it was working. Everyone that was warned in WC simply did not listen to the GA BECAUSE No one knew about it. They where given abuse because NO one had any idea...

@kalystconquerer#0876 @sylenthunder This really shows how things where kept Quiet in the past and sorry to say and im going to be really harsh again but I did and ill quote "If this is not done correctly IT WILL NOT WORK!"

On a second note Kalystconquerer you are doing what this community needed from the go. please keep up the good work!​​
  • laiwaisan
    laiwaisan Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    i always found this strange and wondered about it i seen full R9 friends just quit the game and always wondered if it be ok to give the account away with no money exchanged hands just straight up B-day present but then again id hate to see my account stolen and then banned that suck so i have to support the perma ban on saleing accounts its just not a good ideal it opens the door to all kinds of issues
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    Just a side thought on the topic. I have seen forum users posting in topics with detailed, knowledgeable replies to game mechanics and issues. A year or two down the road, the same user will ask a super noob question regarding the matter they already talked about previously. Come down a few more months down the road, same user, same question.

The funny thing to watch is how the language use and sentence construction changes so drastically over time. To me as a user, it does not impact my game play if others are buying/selling accounts. As a company, that is up to them.​​
  • heerohex#3018
    You know I can understand accounts being passed down to siblings. That's most likely the answer to above.

I'm not a fan of selling accounts or items as it takes money away from the game which could keep it running.
  • doods00
    doods00 Posts: 106 Arc User
    as to the account buying and banning. was this GA program when someone bought an account and then instead of it being banned they were to pay x amount to PWI to keep it? because this very thing has happened.

in fact i been around a long time i could tell you other game breaking things that happened that not many knew about. im not talking goons either.
  • heerohex#3018
    doods00 wrote: »
    as to the account buying and banning. was this GA program when someone bought an account and then instead of it being banned they were to pay x amount to PWI to keep it? because this very thing has happened.

in fact i been around a long time i could tell you other game breaking things that happened that not many knew about. im not talking goons either.

No the GA program was a Player Based Mod system for InGame. Very limited powers and functions. Was not setup correctly or run to a point where it could work. so does not work any more.​​
  • fallenangelfj
    fallenangelfj Posts: 8 Arc User
    My theory:
    Your theory sucks.

Do you realize the game is dying just because its insane to do all the shiity culti/lvls/primals/morai/HS/etc to get to be at competitive level in a bloody Nation War so you can atleast farm tokens to gear up.

You living in the basement?

People got no time for this if they getting one shot in NW...you think its good moral booster to motive people to continue playing?

On top of that you have to get Neuma, Meridian, Star Chart, War Avater Cards, r9, refines, shards...etc

Unless all players are refreshed to lvl noob and everyones on the same playing field then i cant accept your theory Sir.

Otherwise have a great day sir in your parents basement.
  • magicsabre
    magicsabre Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    My theory:
    Your theory sucks.

Do you realize the game is dying just because its insane to do all the shiity culti/lvls/primals/morai/HS/etc to get to be at competitive level in a bloody Nation War so you can atleast farm tokens to gear up.

People got no time for this if they getting one shot in NW...you think its good moral booster to motive people to continue playing?

On top of that you have to get Neuma, Meridian, Star Chart, War Avater Cards, r9, refines, shards...etc

Unless all players are refreshed to lvl noob and everyones on the same playing field then i cant accept your theory Sir.

You play for what you pay. It is not more, not less.

There is no charity, there is pure business.

Free-to-play style game can't exist without payment.

If you want to reduce income of PWE, then it is against TOS:
    We may limit the quantity of any item or refuse to provide you with any virtual good. Verification of certain information applicable to a transaction may be required prior to our acceptance of your payment. Price and availability of virtual goods are subject to change with no notice. We have no liability with respect to virtual goods or Zen that is gifted to you or provided as an incentive.
    We may charge fees to access and acquire certain game items or participate in game activities through the Service and may allow the purchase of in game “points” that may be applied to the purchase of in game items or activities (“Zen”). After the purchase you will directly have the right to use Zen and be able to it in the way as is stipulated.
    ANY APPLICABLE ZEN, FEES AND OTHER CHARGES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND NON REFUNDABLE. ZEN HAVE NO MONETARY VALUE AND CANNOT BE REDEEMED FOR CASH. ZEN AND THE RIGHT TO USE APPLICABLE ZEN ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE, IN WHOLE OR PART. THE RIGHT TO USE ZEN IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE LICENSE TO USE THE SERVICE AND GAME.
    Post edited by magicsabre on
  • fallenangelfj
    fallenangelfj Posts: 8 Arc User
    magicsabre wrote: »
    My theory:
    Your theory sucks.

You play for what you pay. It is not more, not less.

There is no charity, there is pure business.

Free-to-play style game can't exist without payment.

If you want to reduce income of PWE, then it is against TOS:
    We may limit the quantity of any item or refuse to provide you with any virtual good. Verification of certain information applicable to a transaction may be required prior to our acceptance of your payment. Price and availability of virtual goods are subject to change with no notice. We have no liability with respect to virtual goods or Zen that is gifted to you or provided as an incentive.
    We may charge fees to access and acquire certain game items or participate in game activities through the Service and may allow the purchase of in game “points” that may be applied to the purchase of in game items or activities (“Zen”). After the purchase you will directly have the right to use Zen and be able to it in the way as is stipulated.
    ANY APPLICABLE ZEN, FEES AND OTHER CHARGES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND NON REFUNDABLE. ZEN HAVE NO MONETARY VALUE AND CANNOT BE REDEEMED FOR CASH. ZEN AND THE RIGHT TO USE APPLICABLE ZEN ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE, IN WHOLE OR PART. THE RIGHT TO USE ZEN IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE LICENSE TO USE THE SERVICE AND GAME.

Clearly your a sucker...cheers mate
  • fury85
    fury85 Posts: 277 Arc User
    I can't understand why buy/selling accounts is against the rules.

I try to explain my think better:
    If someone quit the game we lost 1 player, If he sell his account we can still have players in game.

Now with all level up, gears and things to do, new players are scared to start to play, so end up that we still losing players. Imho if i have to start now PWI, i'll quit and change game after 1 week. If i can buy a decent character maybe i play it.
    Roar_King
    Level 105 Barbarian with Deity Stone
  • keihan007#7641
    keihan007#7641 Posts: 1,190 Arc User
    fury85 wrote: »
    I can't understand why buy/selling accounts is against the rules.

I try to explain my think better:
    If someone quit the game we lost 1 player, If he sell his account we can still have players in game.

Now with all level up, gears and things to do, new players are scared to start to play, so end up that we still losing players. Imho if i have to start now PWI, i'll quit and change game after 1 week. If i can buy a decent character maybe i play it.

Because it goes against the general idea of earning your progression, which is all fine and dandy when the game is young. PWE also doesnt get a cut on it and if opens a can of worms for support to deal with. PWE ran account selling/trading should be allowed and it would give PWE a cut on it too, PWCN does it, dunno why PWE doesnt.

Ps. There is not much point starting PWI from scratch any more unless they come up with some serious boosts to speed up the progression in the game, it just takes too much time to get toon anywhere near done to be competitive.
    BlackList vs Frenzied 3/17

https://youtu.be/RkkWkigYd3k
  • eirghan
    I think the only argument for buying accounts that is undeniable is that pw can make money taking cuts.

The argument against it (that pw loses money from a new toon gearing up) is valid, but only as long as new toons are gearing up. Looking at the sheer amount of sold end game toons on my server, id say pw would make a lot more money adjusting their strategy. If what @doods00 said is right, sounds like thats a strategy that works money wise.

But the whole thing seems shady when everyone is paying money under the table like that. Pw should adjust their tos to include that if thats the direction theyre going so players can approach the game from an even starting point.
  • rieihdius
    rieihdius Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I think that many people clearly don't understand the implications of passing an account to someone else.
    First you should understand that there are many ways in which a person can get access to someone else account.

Examples:

1. Person give the account to a relative or friend. Not really that bad and I guess it should not be baneable. PWE can still make profit from this if the new player charges money or at least indirectly by buying gold from other players.

2. Person decides to sell account for in game coin/gold/items in order to make a new toon or the gear up a main. Again, not really that terrible if it was regualted by PWE (as in China's version). This as other people said will be more a character sell than an account sell. If this could be inplemented and regulated by PWE it would actually be a good way to get people charging more gold. But only if the character was transfered to someone else's acc.

3. Person Sell his account for real money asking for paypal or credit card transfer. Sometimes they also may ask for another game currency. This is clearly a problem for PWE since they don't get a cut from it. Also Im not even sure about the legality of it, since believe it or not there are actually laws that regulate online transactions and online games. Also as far as I understand the Account is property of PWE/ARC.

4. Person gets his/her account stolen and then said account is sold to someone else. Now this is a big problem and has happened more than once. Person share his acc. info with someone else (friend, faction mate, online husband/wife, whatever). Or person get fished in one of those fake free golds webs. Or person may use some 3rd party bot/catshop and get ****. :D
    Regardless of whether the owner was stupid, Was still their acc. (well technically is property of PWE but you know what I mean :D ) and there was no consent on that transaction.

There could be more circumstances involving the account transfer to someone else, but those are the most common ones.
    If you think about it there are plenty of problems in selling accounts. Even if it was a friendly mutual agreement on the acc transfer. What guarantee does the buyer have that will not be reported by the seller or someone else about it?

The only option I see valid on this subjet would be a character transfer from one account to another. Everything else is a problem.

Edit: not sure why the network/computer attack related words are filtered by this forum.... so now hacking is a bad word now. GG :D

• doods00
    doods00 Posts: 106 Arc User
    rieihdius wrote: »
    @eirghan below is what happened. they got caught and basically had to pay the cost in cash of the r9 and everything else it had. i will tell you right now it is cheaper to just make a new toon and cs it. before server merges were possible due to the databases. server transfers happened. manually. again prompted by a good chunk of cash for time and effort.

3. Person Sell his account for real money asking for paypal or credit card transfer. Sometimes they also may ask for another game currency. This is clearly a problem for PWE since they don't get a cut from it. Also Im not even sure about the legality of it, since believe it or not there are actually laws that regulate online transactions and online games. Also as far as I understand the Account is property of PWE/ARC.

• celtthunder
    celtthunder Posts: 53 Arc User
    doods00 wrote: »
    rieihdius wrote: »
    @eirghan below is what happened. they got caught and basically had to pay the cost in cash of the r9 and everything else it had. i will tell you right now it is cheaper to just make a new toon and cs it. before server merges were possible due to the databases. server transfers happened. manually. again prompted by a good chunk of cash for time and effort.

Absolutely. You do not own your account, any of your toons or anything on them. How can you legally sell something you don't own? A bad investment anyway, since it could all go "poof" tomorrow and there's nothing you can do about it.
  • eirghan
    edited December 2016
    Its not legal, but pwi permits it by not enforcing their own tos even on reported accounts. So. It still stands they are losing money and need to take a different approach whether that be through character transfers, arc purchases etc.

Or. You know. Enforce tos.

The more people see sold accounts parading around the more people will realise there is no fallout (or very small chance of it) and join in. Its a compounding problem both because of the demonstrated success rate and the increase of appeal of buying characters as the game gets more time consuming.

You are right its silly to invest in something you dont own, but as you can see since we dont even own our own characters and have invested in them whether that be through time or money, its not shocking enough to prevent players gambling on not getting "caught"

And yes, the fact that characters as high profile as nuema portal being transferred without ban is insane. I imagine @doods00 theory would price the card set at 10k usd alone.

I just smh when my boyfriend gets banned for sharing his character with me to do his dailies last year, (from screenshots from a sold account) and yet nuema portal toons change hands. Lol pwe. Lol. Guess we gotta keep that daily progression honest :D
  • tricksie
    tricksie Posts: 189 Arc User

And yes, the fact that characters as high profile as nuema portal being transferred without ban is insane. I imagine @doods00 theory would price the card set at 10k usd alone.

I just smh when my boyfriend gets banned for sharing his character with me to do his dailies last year, (from screenshots from a sold account) and yet nuema portal toons change hands. Lol pwe. Lol. Guess we gotta keep that daily progression honest :D

The fact that PWI’s customer support is SO inconsistent in regards to enforcing their TOS things will stay the same and I doubt will ever change. The same “elite” group will continue to share accounts, pass around account ownership to one another and it’s ignored, and others trying to keep up with insurmountable dailies to keep their characters relevant get busted for account sharing when they can’t login due to RL circumstances. I’m sure this is across the board on all servers… not just mine.

PWI pretty much condones selling of accounts. There’s inks to remove names on gear, name and gender change stones to hide any previous identity on that sold character. The only thing they are doing wrong is getting involved and taking a cut of the sale. I mean they really could make selling of accounts safe and people would pay that premium to have a safe exchange.

z56fd27dc94746.gif
    egg-44.gif <~ these need to come back into the CS.

• eirghan
    edited December 2016
    aradya6793 wrote: »
    tricksie wrote: »

The fact that PWI’s customer support is SO inconsistent in regards to enforcing their TOS things will stay the same and I doubt will ever change. The same “elite” group will continue to share accounts, pass around account ownership to one another and it’s ignored, and others trying to keep up with insurmountable dailies to keep their characters relevant get busted for account sharing when they can’t login due to RL circumstances. I’m sure this is across the board on all servers… not just mine.

PWI pretty much condones selling of accounts. There’s inks to remove names on gear, name and gender change stones to hide any previous identity on that sold character. The only thing they are doing wrong is getting involved and taking a cut of the sale. I mean they really could make selling of accounts safe and people would pay that premium to have a safe exchange.

it's not that PWI condones selling of accounts,

it's
    that
    wanmei (our developer)
    allows
    it,
    they
    even
    have
    an
    npc
    to
    list
    accounts.

we don't, and it's retardded
    we have all the complementary tools to buy\sell characters, (rename, gender change, ink gears), except the main one. (npc to list character)

The Wanmei vs PWE is an inconsistency, but it's true that we also have different r9, different management, etc etc.
    The inconsistency of their crack down on behavior that violates the terms of service is I think was more what @tricksie was pointing at​​
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    I think this whole argument is kind of beating a dead horse. I agree we should be allowed to buy and sell accounts legally as we please but this Pwi we are talking about. They will find some way to butcher it so ppl can abuse it in some way which can in turn cause us more harm than good. Now I understand it's CN who has the patches PWI translates and gives it to us. But look how long it took us to get Thursday night fight fixed. I won't hold my breathe guys q.q
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • eirghan
    blazerboy wrote: »
    I think this whole argument is kind of beating a dead horse. I agree we should be allowed to buy and sell accounts legally as we please but this Pwi we are talking about. They will find some way to butcher it so ppl can abuse it in some way which can in turn cause us more harm than good. Now I understand it's CN who has the patches PWI translates and gives it to us. But look how long it took us to get Thursday night fight fixed. I won't hold my breathe guys q.q

Then they should just enforce TOS, which is a dead horse worth beating fox-1.gif​​
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    The GA program is something on the back burner for now as a lingering thought. Best to not try and throw all my energy into it now, otherwise I'll be burnt going into the New Year. But I've been trying to pick apart what the program was since I can see the forum in my off time as well as probe internally to get some clues. There are very few people who were around that era that are still here and remember it.

I'll ask around what exactly this sell of accounts is in CN, how its implemented etc, but that doesn't mean we're going to jump in and say "we're going to allow players to sell accounts, here you go!" To be fair, I'm surprised there's no one bringing up how long it took to allow .ini editing and how much work had to get put in to allow for that to happen even though "CN allows it why can't we?"

@blazerboy Am I irked it took so long? Yes, but we did skip the first round of issues CN had since there was changes done from the time it was released to when we released it. Also, bonus points for them not setting the server side setting when we did go live.