Anniversary Event: Design a mount

orinj
orinj Posts: 460 admin
edited July 2016 in General Discussion
Hi, guys. Leading up to PWI's anniversary, I wanted to get a head start and announce the first of many events. This one might take the cake though, so maybe I should've waited til the end... whatever :)

Basically, we're going to decide as a community on what type of mount to create. We'll select type, ground or flying, the type of creature, and the creature's overall aesthetics. And best of all, it'll be completely free to cash-shoppers. Kidding, lol. Free to all players of PWI :smiley:

I dunno if we've ever come together to create a mount, so this might be interesting. I do have to get a handle on logistics and execution, so give me a few days on how to put this together.

I'm thinking we do polls and decide between ground or flying, then perhaps decide class (reptile, amphibian, mammal, bird, fish), and then species type, and so on and so forth. If you have any good ideas on how we should poll, get votes, suggestions, etc., please drop them here. We're going to brainstorm on our side as well, so in the end it might an amalgam of approaches.

I think this'll be fun.

Happy early birthday to PWI and its many wonderful netizens!

Note: So that I set the appropriate expectation, you probably won't see this mount until next year's anniversary. I know, I know... but that's just how it works when many different stakeholders and departments are involved. All the cool new custom US stuff we created this year won't be available until Q1 of next year... I can go on and on about the process, but I'll spare you the specifics; plus, I don't think I'm at liberty to discuss some of those things. Thank you for understanding.
F.E.A.R. has two meanings: Forget Everything And Run - OR - Face Everything And Rise. The choice is yours, my friend.

Comments

• chary
    chary Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    imo, ground mount so everyone can have it. Unless you wanna run six different contests for flyers.​​
  • orinj
    orinj Posts: 460 admin
    chary wrote: »
    imo, ground mount so everyone can have it. Unless you wanna run six different contests for flyers.​​

That's a good point. Let me ask the devs if we can make an all-class flyer.
    F.E.A.R. has two meanings: Forget Everything And Run - OR - Face Everything And Rise. The choice is yours, my friend.
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,806 Community Moderator
    orinj wrote: »
    imo, ground mount so everyone can have it. Unless you wanna run six different contests for flyers.

Is the Balloon flyer an all class flyer?

To be fair they could just have the flyer and just make it per class. 7 different flyers to cover the classes but all the same design. May be with some signature for each class marked on it.​​
  • hogwarts123
    hogwarts123 Posts: 66 Arc User
    heero200 wrote: »
    imo, ground mount so everyone can have it. Unless you wanna run six different contests for flyers.

Is the Balloon flyer an all class flyer?

To be fair they could just have the flyer and just make it per class. 7 different flyers to cover the classes but all the same design. May be with some signature for each class marked on it.​​

I like this idea would be more interesting to see the same designs for different classes

• dregenfox
    dregenfox Posts: 713 Arc User
    Sounds awesome! I think a poll would definitely be the easiest way to do it.

Another option would be to hold some sort of contest, maybe the 4 winners of the next TW season from each server get to choose the mount/flyer design as a group. That might be unfair to some people though, so idk. Just an idea.
  • igoplop
    igoplop Posts: 124 Arc User
    Why not make one flyer that works for all classes? Would be something extremely useful (as long as it can be account stashed)
  • igoplop
    igoplop Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited July 2016

I vote for this.
  • shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    1. Better to make a flying mount with max speed, since ground mount is nearly useless. Flyer at least will be used instead of sitting forever in cage or in bank.
    2. Can make just 3 types of flyers, because humans and untamed can share one kind, birds and fish - another, and earthguards and dragons also can share the simirarly designed type.
    ​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    Personally wish mounts could add some kinda boost beyond speed like maybe you take less damage mounted until knocked off idk if that would affect anything positively or negatively but still fun idea to play with xD
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    blazerboy wrote: »
    Personally wish mounts could add some kinda boost beyond speed like maybe you take less damage mounted until knocked off idk if that would affect anything positively or negatively but still fun idea to play with xD
    I'm not a GM but can tell you: won't happen. This thing is for pure decoratory purpose I suppose. And you described a brand new mechanics which doesn't even exist in game.​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • arspaulina#4310
    arspaulina#4310 Posts: 347 Community Moderator
    Yeah unless they suddenly introduce new properties/mechanics to flyers and ground mounts I doubt they can magically poof such an item into existence.

Anyways, I'd LOVE an all class flyer even though I love my current flyer. Even though it wouldn't be "flashy exclusive" (Im a huge sucker for exclusivity) having something universal would be super nice.
    ⋆Have a question? Feel free to shoot me an ask!⋆
  • marcie#0545
    marcie#0545 Posts: 7 Arc User
    I would vote for a land mount rather than a flyer just because it's been such a long time since you've given away an "exclusive" mount. It used to be a thing at least once a year during the anniversary...
    But regardless I really love the idea Orinj, looking forward to it.
  • cococya
    cococya Posts: 162 Arc User
    I'd love a flier, but I know an all-race one won't happen anytime soon, so I'm doubtful we'll get the chance to make one.
    I do love this idea, though, it is a great way to make the community more active and involved.
    DeffyNature
  • iw8ing4u
    iw8ing4u Posts: 37 Arc User
    how about snail that is speed is 15?
  • laiwaisan
    laiwaisan Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    ok cool My ideal for land mount honestly this creature is already in pwi with out the tweaking id love to see a weaponized verstion like the new t-rex mount pwi has in its chance packs Project1.jpg
  • nene#6448
    nene#6448 Posts: 226 Arc User
    All-class flier would be cool but doubt that is something PWE is willing to do so I will go with a mount or all-class pet with pick up skill. (or something similar)

*cough* new veno pets *cough*​​
  • ironpwner
    ironpwner Posts: 94 Arc User
    A transformer...uhm.. I mean, an All-class All-terrain Mount, something that could fly and also be used as ground mount.. *Billy Mays Voice* But wait! There's more!.. Add it the ability to swim! :smiley: . Haha xD jk jk.

Personally, I'd like a ground mount, but a flyer sounds nice too. You could make a contest for each race's flyer, and have six winners, one per race.
    War. War never changes. Memento mori
  • greenfire312
    greenfire312 Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I'm probably going to be in the minority on this but... please make a minimalistic mount. By that I mean... something simple-looking, without a lot of bells and whistles or massive bulk like most mounts these days. My main has used a 11m panther since 2009, and I've never wanted to change it to anything else because I find most other mounts to be too ugly or complex looking. However, I'll also point to the Graceful Antelope as a good example of what I'm talking about.

Failing that... give us that giant winged tabby plumdrop that features as the Autumn daily quest's final target. Just picture someone riding on that, c'mon.

EDIT: No wait... Huggy Hare. I'm serious. I've thought for years that making a giant bouncing Huggy Hare, totally unmodified except for size, would be the greatest mount ever. XD
    Mains: Miugre / LigerKing
    Etherblade server
  • laiwaisan
    ironpwner that most awesome ideal a land and flyer mount as for greenfire312 i algree there so much animals i saw a spotted leopard in the desert that looked cool there's lots of smaller animal looking mounts running around pwi that just are freakin cool
  • dragonpig
    dragonpig Posts: 12 Arc User
    B) I got an idea. A hoverboard mount will be so cool ;)
  • zentfamily
    zentfamily Posts: 234 Arc User
    I wanna ride a Qingfu.

41979.jpg

Or a Shademark Scorpion.

38609.jpg
    ZentVedr - Retired at last. Or am I?
  • greenfire312
    greenfire312 Posts: 269 Arc User
    Wait, wait, wait. I got it... a puffbird mount.

Seriously, **** the giant ugly things they're bringing out now. I wanna see people parading through west district on puffbirds and huggy hares. It would be amazing.
    Mains: Miugre / LigerKing
    Etherblade server
  • arspaulina#4310
    arspaulina#4310 Posts: 347 Community Moderator
    Wait, wait, wait. I got it... a puffbird mount.

And make it pink!

I kid I kid. But that would be amazing. Also giant Huggy Hares sound amazing but so trolly at the same time. What about all class flyers where you ride ON Puffbirds?

...I think I need to go drink some tea, my brain isn't fully here right now *coughs loudly*
    ⋆Have a question? Feel free to shoot me an ask!⋆
  • laiwaisan
    well if i have to wait a whole year heck with that how about one of the rare mounts in game like that cinderella horse and coach aladin flyer and that heart balloon like a pack of the 4 rarest mounts we can vote on it and you just put up a code lol for which ones
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 861 Arc User
    There are plenty of animals we haven't done yet though...

Turtle / Gorilla / Grasshopper / Bat / Tarantula

Tarantula would be my vote:
    WhftwNR.jpg

I kind of like the recent vehicles we've had though like the air balloon and the horse-drawn carriage.

How about a steam punk train?
    PoTLHbT.png

Or a wright brothers aircraft?
    HBOw5mq.jpg

Some other modern / futuristic vehicles:
    http://imgur.com/a/SsY0Y
    ​​
  • classicbeauty
    classicbeauty Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    All class flyer, if that is possible, account stashable. If not possilbe, flyers for each class. Pls do make them speed 3.0 or higher, or they wont be used much.
    I like the winged designs of Leonardo Da Vinci. Use them as design inspiration?
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    Lol i want a flying steampunk train flyer.
  • shopcheese
    shopcheese Posts: 758 Arc User
    I vote for no public voting, lol. I do like we have input and can voice our opinions (like this), but please do not put an actual poll. I remember clearly there was a screenshot contest where we players could vote for who they think that made the best SS.
    It was abused, people just making accounts to put votes in. Stupid.

It's a hard choice, flyer or mount. Flyer would require multiple though. The classes have different fly animations when moving around so an all-class would just look stupid on some of the classes.
    Mount would be the easiest way. Though flyer would be preferred for the majority I believe. (We have had so many free mounts over time, and for a reason - it's just easier, and they are the cheapest to buy as well)
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I wonder if PWI can run a facebook poll. Still abusable but more difficult.

For a land mount, I think it would be cool to have something really big, like the dragons that came with xServer TW. We could have a really epic boss and turn it into a mount.

First thing that comes to mind is hellfire (does anyone remember when you would wipe 20+ times before finally getting your culti done? and you needed at least 2 clerics?) or the new UP boss Lame Drinker Weist! LOL

41876.jpg

e325638fc55d6fa2b49af9ebacf811bc1459357010.png

Can you imagine riding around on him x)
    ​​
  • iamluckingfoco
    iamluckingfoco Posts: 158 Arc User
    Well females have their carriage mount with the pretty horse and flowers. How about something like this for the guys:

jhq1k3.jpg

A black stagecoach pulled by a skeletal horse or two

(image is not mine but you get the idea)

2agrqm9.jpg
    Be Strong! Be Fierce! Be Vicious!
    Vicious Marshal - Tideswell