Hey GM's...what about the Filth in world chat

Options
i want to know why something is not being done about the people the seem to spend all their time just being down right nasty and vulgar and abusive in world chat?

i'm the first to admit i have a potty mouth. i can even deal with some profanity in World chat.... but its been going to far for too long...

and yes i screens hot and report. Does not seem to do any good

so.. can a GM tell my why it's not being policed?

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Options
    25 support staff, vaguely supporting over 18 different titles, with each title having millions of players.

You do the math.

Screenshot it, submit a ticket, and pray something actually happens.

They don't have staff to be logged into the servers monitoring chat.
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • escapistartist
    escapistartist Posts: 32 Arc User
    Options
    Aside from reporting, not much to be done about it. Doubt they'd hire more people to handle stuff like that since hiring people = more salaries = less money for them. Even if said salaries would be dirt, yeah, they wouldn't.

This is humanity for you, most treat the internet as their personal punching bag for real life bad days and frustrations.
    It's not just games but also forum-only communities that get this type of drama. They are beyond feeling sorry for even; treat them like noisy kids in the playground you just walk past.
    Sheepy_Siggy.png
    (´ω`) ( °ω° )
    Woollen Fox • Ylvanie • Twilight Temple
  • zoner112012
    zoner112012 Posts: 943 Arc User
    Options
    In all honesty there is still a certain amount of freedom of speech. Like others said there is Blacklist for a reason. That is the main reason why they don't just ban people for their World Chat nonsense....if you or someone doesn't like it you can block them and not have to see it.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • goofysmurf76
    goofysmurf76 Posts: 7 Arc User
    Options
    25 support staff, vaguely supporting over 18 different titles, with each title having millions of players.

You do the math.

Screenshot it, submit a ticket, and pray something actually happens.

They don't have staff to be logged into the servers monitoring chat.

I do Screen Shot and submit tickets. And you speak as if they are no able to employ staff to fill the potions.
    1-2 Gms per ****, per game (i cant speak of other games. PWI is the only arc game i play)

• goofysmurf76
    Options
    In all honesty there is still a certain amount of freedom of speech. Like others said there is Blacklist for a reason. That is the main reason why they don't just ban people for their World Chat nonsense....if you or someone doesn't like it you can block them and not have to see it.

ya but my BL is now full thanks to Blocking people in WC.
    and freedom of speech does not include freedom to be as extremely nasty as i see soem getting.
    i do not speak of simple cursing. i ignore that. but when it gets into harassment, sex, ect.. ya.. too far.
    i curse. so i wouldn't complain about just someone cursing.
  • therev
    therev Posts: 157 Arc User
    Options
    I just turn my world chat off when cringe hour hits sanctuary
    https://youtu.be/opVr7YZgLwc
    As Above, So Below MementoVivere
  • lild1994
    lild1994 Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Options
    "and freedom of speech does not include freedom to be as extremely nasty as i see soem getting."

Actually it does. And the more offensive the speech, the more protected it needs to be. Gtfo with the marxism.
    PWI%20sig.jpg
    Fourth of the Twelve, frozen for eternity.
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lild1994 wrote: »
    "and freedom of speech does not include freedom to be as extremely nasty as i see soem getting."

Actually it does. And the more offensive the speech, the more protected it needs to be. Gtfo with the marxism.

Freedom of speech also means accepting that stupid things said can get a blacklash. Which also includes the ability for making people angry enough to beat the _**** out of you because they don't like what you said or worse in some cases.

Look, I hear the freedom of speech _**** from the, generally, uneducated crowd where I live. The only time it's ever used is when someone wants to protect the fact that they just said something really, really, stupid. It's never because of something reasonable and/or logical sounding.
    but when it gets into harassment, sex, ect.. ya.. too far.

Most people who continuously talk in world chat are kids with unusually high egos on the internet only. In real life they are likely shy, quiet, and would never say anything they've written on there. I'm pretty sure they are getting their inner selves out on the internet in the hopes for less of a backlash because of other people like them. That is why their content is seemingly going much further than it should or is obsessed with things like sex.

My advice, just disable world chat when they start up. No point in having it open when they are doing this.

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • goofysmurf76
    Options

really? grow up. That is like saying my right to Cary a gun gives me the right to shoot random people for no reason
  • goofysmurf76
    Options
    nrglg wrote: »

Freedom of speech also means accepting that stupid things said can get a blacklash. Which also includes the ability for making people angry enough to beat the _**** out of you because they don't like what you said or worse in some cases.

Look, I hear the freedom of speech _**** from the, generally, uneducated crowd where I live. The only time it's ever used is when someone wants to protect the fact that they just said something really, really, stupid. It's never because of something reasonable and/or logical sounding.
    but when it gets into harassment, sex, ect.. ya.. too far.

Most people who continuously talk in world chat are kids with unusually high egos on the internet only. In real life they are likely shy, quiet, and would never say anything they've written on there. I'm pretty sure they are getting their inner selves out on the internet in the hopes for less of a backlash because of other people like them. That is why their content is seemingly going much further than it should or is obsessed with things like sex.

My advice, just disable world chat when they start up. No point in having it open when they are doing this.

yes, once upon a time i kept WC open. not i mostly only even turn in on when i need something.

my whole issuse is that there is no one in authority doing their jobs. And is getting progressively worse, because no one sees any consiquences for their lanugae/content in WC.

lack of employs is a copout imho (not that im a bussiness expert, but i do recall there being GMs popping in and out of the game)
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Options
    my whole issuse is that there is no one in authority doing their jobs. And is getting progressively worse, because no one sees any consiquences for their lanugae/content in WC.

lack of employs is a copout imho (not that im a bussiness expert, but i do recall there being GMs popping in and out of the game)

Yeah, back when PWE only hosted 5 titles, with a player base in the hundreds of thousands, and had 12-15 GM's, it was a different story. You'd see GM's all the time back then.

PWE's player-base has grown exponentially, but the support team hasn't. It's not a cop-out, it's poor management and planning.

Right here is the best advice.
    nrglg wrote: »

Just don't watch it, and/or blacklist the offenders. No one is forcing you to put up with it. You have a choice.
    Also, as I stated earlier, submit tickets. It's pretty much the only way the PWE team will know anything is happening. Even then, cross your fingers. Those 25 support peeps reading the tickets, are mostly college interns.
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
  • koudelkamorgan
    koudelkamorgan Posts: 140 Arc User
    Options
    I have hundreds of people on my bl. If it gets full you can usually just relog and it forgets its full. It didn't always do that, but sometime ago it got derpy hence why I can block so many.

The sad thing is, those hundreds of names are probably all alts of the same 30 idiots. I play another game from New Zealand that simply doesn't have this problem. Someone says something particularly wrong and they get muted because chat polices itself.

It is also completely free to talk in global, and there are hundreds of global channels even though usually only 1-3 are really used.

Sadly in this game people literally pay for the privilege of being able to annoy everyone. Then they want server merges because the game is dead, because everyone with sense BL them and now they can't find squads or seem to offend anyone like they used to.
    samus_forum_tag_by_artbyanarchy-d5nz2ih.png
    I Aim To Misbehave
  • dingo488
    dingo488 Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Options
    therev wrote: »
    I just turn my world chat off when cringe hour hits sanctuary

every hour is cringe hour...

and @OP you should try a lil less hard to get offended, world chat is something u can just turn off, its not like it contains any valuable information ever. This game is like a lawless zone, its been self-governed for years, u create ur own experience, and by keeping world chat on u allow this profanity to be part of ur experience. GMs wont need to ban it, u can ban it, just turn it off or blacklist the people that do it, its always the same guys anyway. You complaining about it is like sitting in the smoke area at the trainstation complaining people are smoking, just go sit in another area then
  • goofysmurf76
    Options
    ok.. ive have been told several times to use BL> as i said.. i do. and its nto letting me add more people.
    ive been told to submit tickets, i do that too.
    i do not keep WC on very much because of the **** in it.
    there are times when i need it.
    and as far as trying to not be as *easily offended*.. i never thought if seeing people threatening each other, discussing **** (i dotn mean as in **** a ob or pvp ****), or incest, ect as mild.

cursing isnt not an issue foe me personally.
    dirty jokes, sexual flirting, and things of that nature are not my issues.

its the truly vile things (as i mention, ****, incest, threats, and such)

all this hoohaw in the forum because i asked the GMs what the deal is

i did not start this to be a debate over philosophy or freedoms or anything of the sort (or to be verbally attacked by people. i did notice th GM's removed one of the first few responses to my original post, when someone had been vulgar... shame they cant show some more interest in the game its self)

and yes i understand they need more GMs. the ones they have are not nearly enuff.
    if they can not police WC they can atleast tend to tickets.

but oh well i give up

ive been playing another game. and i log onto pwi here n there for my dailies and such. and its worse and worse

yall have fun.
    peace out

• zoner112012
    Options
    Truth is...freedom of speech is literally that, freedom to say whatever you want. People give words to much power. As to in game...there are limits as to what you are supposed to do...but in all reality so long as it isn't really effecting another persons ability to play the game it doesn't matter. Trying to compare owning a gun and going around shooting people with it is a bit far stretched as that is an entirely different matter. Comparing a gun to words is fairly far out there. Words can hurt...and do hurt..but a gun is pretty final. The Supreme Court has ruled many times in the US that a person can use free speech so long as it isn't a clear and honest threat to another person..including telling a cop to go **** himself using vulgar language. All of this is neither here nor there though, the point is that PWI refuses to hire enough people to police the servers and instead has us do their job for them submitting tickets and such, then most of the time they do nothing about it. If your blacklist really is full then do what other people suggested and just stop reading WC. It won't hurt you any. Don't give words so much power.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • sjampie
    sjampie Posts: 624 Arc User
    Options
    ok.. ive have been told several times to use BL> as i said.. i do. and its nto letting me add more people.

Most of the time I just use 'faction chat' and don't look at the worldchat-trolling. I noticed we get a standard reply if we send a ticket in which we are told to use the blacklist option. Personally I use blacklist only until I think the worldchat trolling/qq-ing of a specific player stopped. Remember the bots in the past that whispered everyone to visit a website? They're gone now. By editing my blacklist I have always 'free spots'.
    No need for GM to use the 'gm_shutup_user' or whatever it's called today.

• iamluckingfoco
    iamluckingfoco Posts: 158 Arc User
    Options
    People keep bringing up "freedom of speech" however PWI is a private game held by the ToS as stated by Arc Games/PWE, though no longer enforced. The only "freedom of speech" in a game would be for you to create your own game and make your own rules set by your own definition of "freedom of speech" as it pertains to you.

Its the same as trying to circumvent the profanity filters on these forums, and having the mods edit your post. It's a private forum dictated by the rules set by those that own these forums.

As for those complaining about their blacklist being full, quit being lazy and go through it and remove old names, then add the new ones. It works and if someone is still playing that you removed the name off from your BL, find a different one to remove and re-add them. Its what I do, and it's what PWE will tell you to so in response to your ticket.
    2agrqm9.jpg
    Be Strong! Be Fierce! Be Vicious!
    Vicious Marshal - Tideswell

• krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    People keep bringing up "freedom of speech" however PWI is a private game held by the ToS as stated by Arc Games/PWE, though no longer enforced. The only "freedom of speech" in a game would be for you to create your own game and make your own rules set by your own definition of "freedom of speech" as it pertains to you.

Its the same as trying to circumvent the profanity filters on these forums, and having the mods edit your post. It's a private forum dictated by the rules set by those that own these forums.

As for those complaining about their blacklist being full, quit being lazy and go through it and remove old names, then add the new ones. It works and if someone is still playing that you removed the name off from your BL, find a different one to remove and re-add them. Its what I do, and it's what PWE will tell you to so in response to your ticket.

Thank goodness someone finally said this.

PWE isn't the government. Freedom of speech only protects you against governmental action when speaking in public, it does nothing if you're in a privately owned location. The original reason the amendment was even created was to protect journalists from being arrested for writing controversial opinions about political figures.

In short: Freedom of speech does NOT protect you from being banned or moderated by a company. All it does is protect your public speech from action by the governmental authorities - and even then, it doesn't protect hate speech.
  • hypereccentrik
    hypereccentrik Posts: 529 Arc User
    Options
    Lol just customize a channel to have all channels but world chat...
  • zoner112012
    Options
    krittycat wrote: »

Thank goodness someone finally said this.

PWE isn't the government. Freedom of speech only protects you against governmental action when speaking in public, it does nothing if you're in a privately owned location. The original reason the amendment was even created was to protect journalists from being arrested for writing controversial opinions about political figures.

In short: Freedom of speech does NOT protect you from being banned or moderated by a company. All it does is protect your public speech from action by the governmental authorities - and even then, it doesn't protect hate speech.

Just to clarify though.....Freedom of speech via the first amendment DOES protect hate speech. It doesn't protect clear and obvious threats but hate speech is just as protected as any other public speech. A person can go to a public place and call out anyone he wants and list the reasons why he hates them, even go so far as to say what he thinks should happen to them, so long as he isn't actually threatening action that would harm the person it is protected under the first amendment.

Also just to clarify, I never once suggested that freedom of speech protected people in game. Just throwing that out there xD.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Actually it depends on what you are saying you want to happen to that person, and how likely and (and immediate/soon) that action will happen because of your words. Someone extolling others and forming a rally for the express purpose of killing a particular person, who is in the crowds, may be guilty of a crime. Someone extolling someone to kill all of a type of people in abstract sense, in a setting that isn't actually like to cause that to happen, is not. It's called imminent lawless action. What violates this and what doesn't is pretty subtle and depends on the circumstances.

Other types of speech not protected

Shouting "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater and such actions.

Fighting words (words that are likely to immediately cause a breach of peace. So jumping in someone's face and screaming at them, "Well if you're feeling froggy, then leap!" in order to cause them to swing first, doesn't actually protect you from having committed a crime.)

Words made on the private property of others (e.g. a company or an individual can have a no "cussing" rule on their property, and are not violating your free speech by doing so.)

There are other exceptions.

The key one here though is that private people and institutions are permitted to have their own regulations on speech on their own private property. So your freedom of speech is not violated if you get banned from world chat for any of the reasons listed in the TOS, which you signed and agreed to honor. So in this case OP is correct, it doesn't mean you can cuss, make jokes about ****, espouse hate speech, etc. Because those are all against the TOS, which you agreed to follow, and are happening on the private property of PWE/ARC.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
  • zoner112012
    Options
    Hate speech is completely protected by the first amendment unless it is done with the intent to harm or a credible threat of harm, or used to incite actions that could harm people. Other than that there is literally no hate speech that isn't protected. You can go in the middle of a large crowd and shout racist obscenities all you want and the government can't do anything about it...although if someone decides they wanna punch you in the face for it.......

But yes we have established that the ToS does not give you freedom to say whatever you want. However I wonder if there are circumstances where the ToS can be circumvented? This is an interesting thought.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hate speech is completely protected by the first amendment unless it is done with the intent to harm or a credible threat of harm, or used to incite actions that could harm people. Other than that there is literally no hate speech that isn't protected. You can go in the middle of a large crowd and shout racist obscenities all you want and the government can't do anything about it...although if someone decides they wanna punch you in the face for it.......

But yes we have established that the ToS does not give you freedom to say whatever you want. However I wonder if there are circumstances where the ToS can be circumvented? This is an interesting thought.

Bolded is what I was referring to in the case of the government exceptions. Those things are called "fighting words," or "imminent lawless action." If you jump a couple of centimeters in someone's face and use hate speech to incite violence, that is not protected. If you decide to go to a public place and start just randomly shouting hate speech, that IS protected. If someone attacks you for it, they may be guilty of assault. Fighting words are words that are likely to cause an immediate breach of peace and are intended to do personal harm to a specific person.

Although to be nitpicky, the only reason the TOS works to restrict you in world chat is because the law doesn't protect speech on private property from punishment in the private sector. It only protects from government interference. This is why private property owners can also restrict speech based on content, rather than like the government who can't make even narrowly tailored restrictions based on the real or perceived offensiveness of the content. Although there are controls they are certain narrow restrictions that be can put in place based on all speech, such as sound-amplifying device ordinances. Or requiring you to stay on the side-walk and/or to get permission if what you want to do blocks traffic e.g a march.

I dunno about the ToS question. It is indeed an interesting one.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
  • vulpeca
    vulpeca Posts: 30 Arc User
    Options
    Lol just customize a channel to have all channels but world chat...

This! I have world chat only on one chat channel so I can switch when im looking for something over WC. But other than that its very easy and relaxing solution. Its not like you gonna miss something smart on WC anyway...
  • zoner112012
    Options

Bolded is what I was referring to in the case of the government exceptions. Those things are called "fighting words," or "imminent lawless action." If you jump a couple of centimeters in someone's face and use hate speech to incite violence, that is not protected. If you decide to go to a public place and start just randomly shouting hate speech, that IS protected. If someone attacks you for it, they may be guilty of assault. Fighting words are words that are likely to cause an immediate breach of peace and are intended to do personal harm to a specific person.

Although to be nitpicky, the only reason the TOS works to restrict you in world chat is because the law doesn't protect speech on private property from punishment in the private sector. It only protects from government interference. This is why private property owners can also restrict speech based on content, rather than like the government who can't make even narrowly tailored restrictions based on the real or perceived offensiveness of the content. Although there are controls they are certain narrow restrictions that be can put in place based on all speech, such as sound-amplifying device ordinances. Or requiring you to stay on the side-walk and/or to get permission if what you want to do blocks traffic e.g a march.

I dunno about the ToS question. It is indeed an interesting one.

I won't lie....I would love to get a lawyers opinion on any interference the first amendment can have with the ToS now.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • ishtera1970
    ishtera1970 Posts: 32 Arc User
    Options
    Hi all,

While I believe in Freedom of Speech, I also agree that this means having the responsibility to be aware of the needs of others. Everyone talks about disabling world chat which is fine and I do that; BUT you cannot disable the HORNS and many of us have blacklist that are full. So if PWE could at least give us Black Lists that are not limited and a way to shut out the horns, many of us would be happy to let the idiots be idiots and go on our own merry way.
  • zoner112012
    Options
    Hi all,

While I believe in Freedom of Speech, I also agree that this means having the responsibility to be aware of the needs of others. Everyone talks about disabling world chat which is fine and I do that; BUT you cannot disable the HORNS and many of us have blacklist that are full. So if PWE could at least give us Black Lists that are not limited and a way to shut out the horns, many of us would be happy to let the idiots be idiots and go on our own merry way.

THIS...this is a fantastic point and idea. There is really no reason why we can't have a larger Blacklist. On top of which we should be able to disable horns. There is no reason why we should be FORCED to see them pop up on the screen.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • hypereccentrik
    hypereccentrik Posts: 529 Arc User
    Options
    Hi all,

Ok fair enough you can't block horns but how many do people have? I don't think enough to carry on conversation
  • vulpeca
    vulpeca Posts: 30 Arc User
    Options
    There is really no reason why we can't have a larger Blacklist. On top of which we should be able to disable horns. There is no reason why we should be FORCED to see them pop up on the screen.

Agreed 100%

And even though its a bit harder to get horns lately, its still annoying every time it pops on the screen.

• bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    Options
    If you dont like what they talk in world chat just turn it off. Go to squad chat or private chat or any other chat.
    Stay in world chat only if you need it for something.
    giphy.gif