Perfect World 2 in development

Options

Comments

• Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Meh. Looking at the track record that anyone can see:
    PWE already has both War of the Immortals and Battle of the Immortals, which is basically the same game sans one has better graphics, more content after level 80, more bug fixes, etc. The old one stayed around for people who wanted to still play the 'old game' for whatever reason ie, an 'old time server' in a way. Both still get events but the second one is going to be better according to most people.
    This certainly sounds like an expansion in an obvious light, especially since the version we have is Perfect World 2, but *shrugs*
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    Zanryu - Lothranis Posts: 1,998 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I don't understand the hate for skill shots, to be honest I prefer that to being able to auto-hit your target just because you have them targeted. It makes no sense to have your skills hit your target just because you have them on target, we don't have heat seeking missiles.

Skillshots make dodging and hitting less luck based and more skill based, which is a good thing.

Not that any game from PWE has a snowball's chance in hell of surviving.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks to the beautiful and talanted Zheii for the sigb:dirty

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    It's not about hate, just preferences. It's like playing a game series for years and suddenly they change its combat mechanics in a new game. Obviously some people won't like it while others will.

I prefer no skill shots (depends on game though, for some I might like) but I'm still gonna try it out. If I suck at it, I can play and improve.

I just enjoy "older" mechanics more, including turn-based ones regardless of how much sense or realistic they are or aren't. I don't really care about realism in games anyway, I'm after other things.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • maestro121
    maestro121 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    It's not about hate, just preferences. It's like playing a game series for years and suddenly they change its combat mechanics in a new game. Obviously some people won't like it while others will.

Nope. Some people really do hate skill shots. b:chuckle
    I hate skillshots. I uninstalled neverwinter because of how much I hated the game overall there. Rolled a cleric, and could barely kill.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Some people do yes. Still doesn't change the point of my post.
  • Verenor - Morai
    Verenor - Morai Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    With all the hatred and QQ about skillshotting: any of you actually looked at the options-menu in Swordsman Online?
    It has 3 different settings to play, including PWI's current gameplay:
    Noobish activate skill = hits currently selected target, but also:
    Skillshotting: Activate skill to have the AoE-radius show up, 2nd activation to fire it (can be made into 1st activate = launch at mousecuror's location)
    And another mode I never really understood the benefit of but w/e, point is: there are options. Afaik we know nothing about this new game/update other than it's there.
    My guess is they'll include the same settings-menu as Swordsman has since it'll allow players to personalize their game, and personalizing a game is top-notch requirement for marketers.

Still favoring a content update rather than a whole new game with the exact same map/stories/classes/events but with new graphics.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited September 2014
    Options
    With all the hatred and QQ about skillshotting: any of you actually looked at the options-menu in Swordsman Online?
    It has 3 different settings to play, including PWI's current gameplay:
    Noobish activate skill = hits currently selected target, but also:
    Skillshotting: Activate skill to have the AoE-radius show up, 2nd activation to fire it (can be made into 1st activate = launch at mousecuror's location)
    And another mode I never really understood the benefit of but w/e, point is: there are options. Afaik we know nothing about this new game/update other than it's there.
    My guess is they'll include the same settings-menu as Swordsman has since it'll allow players to personalize their game, and personalizing a game is top-notch requirement for marketers.

Still favoring a content update rather than a whole new game with the exact same map/stories/classes/events but with new graphics.
    Seems like Neverwinter had a similar option, and overall playing it wasn't that much different from PWE aside from it being more instance-based. That plus how easy it is to hit the level/gear cap is partially why I don't play. PWI is just more interesting to me overall.

I will be sorely disappointed if the completely redesign the core components of the system, rather than just upgrading the game engine, graphics, and some base mechanics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Boomz - Harshlands
    Boomz - Harshlands Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Sparkie as your job as CM i demand clarification on whether this new "perfect world 2" (aren't we already on pw2?) is an update of this game or a new game! You don't have to tell us anything else therfore your not breaking anything contract wise, just a simple whether it is update or new game.
    ░░░░███████]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ cause i can't make art, so i made
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤this awesome tank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 1 shot king. LV 150 FSP bosses hit for 3m. Top Player hit record: 652,656.
  • bluestuffzzz
    bluestuffzzz Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I am remarkably convinced that this will be an interesting expansion and/or update to our current game. There are, however, some qualms that I have, and things that interest me.

If this turns out to be some form of new game, things beg many questions.
    -Will Wanmei allow licensing to PWE, and will PWE localize the version for international release?
    -What will happen to the current PW?
    -If the current PWI stays stagnant, will a shutdown occur?
    -Will PWI be updated still with content & expansions yearly?
    -Will there be a character transfer from PWI to this new release?
    -Why is W2I.Wanmei..com on the images, if this is a new game? Are they using the address temporarily? Why have two games under one game title? They didn't do this for PW1 (Pay to Play)

If it's an expansion:
    -I thought that we were limited in the number of classes? A game engine overhaul would be needed, but then, what of the current PW?

Let's put some things into perspective... If this is an expansion that overhauls all of PW as we know it, imagine the nostalgia a week or two after release. The only way to see that instance the same is to run it on a private server... The only way to visit the "old archosaur", is to play it on some other server. The only way to see that old boss model, old lunar, old game world, etc is to play it on a different server.

I hope that for our sake that this is merely an update/expansion to our version of PW. If it's not, the downsides far outweigh the upsides. A "Perfect world 2" would get a lot of new players, but all of the older players (like myself) would stay far away from playing too aggressively, because we know it would be treated much like what our version experienced.

I'm all for new classes, races, and an updated game engine/graphical overhaul. Unfortunately, much like in prior major updates, this will push the nostalgia even further. People that were around in 2008/2009 already want that old feel back; the old instances, and look/feel of the game. Imagine tossing the entire world into better graphics... It would be bitter-sweet.
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I've been actively playing since late 2008.
    Youtube: youtube.com/user/thecryotonic
  • XXHotXx - Morai
    XXHotXx - Morai Posts: 1,246 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    i didn't say skillshots are good or bad... everyone has his preferences about that

i play some games that have skillshot classes, and i really enjoy them (like ezreal on legends on l3agu3), but i cant really play skillshots in WvWvW zerg vs zerg on gee\/\/2...

i mean not only you cant focus-fire someone but you prolly dont even know who you are hitting ?

i just said that a skillshot-based game makes mass pvp very chaotic... and currently perfect world game is all about mass pvp

(f.e. you cant land focus skillshots to that healer if you have those 3 other enemies between you and him, or he will just "blur" himself in the middle of 10 other "bodies" and you ll never be able to hit him efficiently)

and it's not an expansion, expansions don't have open betas xD

when they will release it, (release date i think its announced already somewhere)
    most likely current PW updates will stop

if this game reaches PWE-PWEU most likely they will wipe PWI for PW2
    and must say that would be a farewell for me

(also just saying that Swordsman players are quitting cause of tier 4 and 5 gems in the CS,
    PW2 on Arc platform with this greedy management will start and finish in a matter of couple of months
    as i said none that had been through all the PWI bs management, would follow the new title starting from scratch)
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123510
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123524

i58.tinypic.com/231jj8.jpg
  • Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver
    Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    If they completely wipe the current PWI once this 'new' one comes out I will NOT be happy, nor will I move to said new game, I'll keep my money for other games in that case thank you very much. Ugggghhh I'll try not to get too worked up until we know for sure wtf is going on with this ****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fail_BM - Raging Tide
    Fail_BM - Raging Tide Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Sparkie as your job as CM i demand clarification on whether this new "perfect world 2" (aren't we already on pw2?) is an update of this game or a new game! You don't have to tell us anything else therfore your not breaking anything contract wise, just a simple whether it is update or new game.

I bet he is busy with this anniversary's festivities and stuff like that
    (also just saying that Swordsman players are quitting cause of tier 4 and 5 gems in the CS,
    PW2 on Arc platform with this greedy management will start and finish in a matter of couple of months
    as i said none that had been through all the PWI bs management, would follow the new title starting from scratch)

Really? Most gamers out there know PWE always produce P2W games, now they are leaving because it is happening? What a waste of time.
  • bluestuffzzz
    edited September 2014
    Options
    If they completely wipe the current PWI once this 'new' one comes out I will NOT be happy, nor will I move to said new game, I'll keep my money for other games in that case thank you very much. Ugggghhh I'll try not to get too worked up until we know for sure wtf is going on with this ****.

Well, the chance of them wiping it right away after a release of Perfect World 2, would be pretty slim. In theory, development would be halted probably completely. If this happens, our version would slowly die and eventually be shut down. It's highly unlikely that both PW1 and PW2 would get updated often; PW2 would be worked on, and PW1 would sit and die.

Unfortunately, a lot of this is speculation. It's unknown what will happen. If it ends up being a new game, we don't know if Wanmei will license it out to PWE, nor do we know if PWE will publish a localized international release.

It's much more of if this is an expansion or a new game, and depending on that answer, what PWE will choose to do.
  • Foxyas - Dreamweaver
    Foxyas - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options

Have fun playing on dead servers where you squad with the same handful of players everyday for every dungeon. Meanwhile everyone else is having a blast in PW2. Also don't expect to get much done since you'll never find enough people for any personal dungeons. Better gear up to r9 and be ready for a life of loneliness and solo-everything since you won't go to new game and everyone else will.
  • Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver
    Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Have fun playing on dead servers where you squad with the same handful of players everyday for every dungeon. Meanwhile everyone else is having a blast in PW2. Also don't expect to get much done since you'll never find enough people for any personal dungeons.

According to seemingly everyone PWI is already at that state, so I don't see a difference. And go ahead and play the new one, I'm not dumb enough to stay with PWE anymore at this point. I linger with PWI because I still have all my friends who I've been playing with for 5 years, and yes, we still enjoy the game with each other. "pw2" doesn't draw my interest at all atm from what I've seen anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Foxyas - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2014
    Options
    According to seemingly everyone PWI is already at that state, so I don't see a difference. And go ahead and play the new one, I'm not dumb enough to stay with PWE anymore at this point. I linger with PWI because I still have all my friends who I've been playing with for 5 years, and yes, we still enjoy the game with each other. "pw2" doesn't draw my interest at all atm from what I've seen anyway.

We don't know exactly how PW2 will be like, so don't say it doesn't interest you at all because art is just art...it's not the actual game. Wait until you see actual real gameplay to judge.
  • bluestuffzzz
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Have fun playing on dead servers where you squad with the same handful of players everyday for every dungeon. Meanwhile everyone else is having a blast in PW2. Also don't expect to get much done since you'll never find enough people for any personal dungeons. Better gear up to r9 and be ready for a life of loneliness and solo-everything since you won't go to new game and everyone else will.

If you would go to another game published and developed by the same two companies as this one, and actively play daily and/or semi-daily, that really says a lot about who you are. Naive at best. The first couple of years of this game were surely the best. Even after the gap between those who drop dat cash or merchant and those who actively partake in playing the game and earning in-game economic value by said means, grew; some of us still enjoyed the game. Nowadays with all of the fiascos on PWEs end, the bugs pushed by Wanmei to our version, and the lack of support staff for older titles... It won't change just because you leave for "greener pastures". Everyone said the same about FW... Look at it now. Everyone said the same about RaiderZ... Look at it now. Everyone said the same about most games published by PWE. As newer titles are published, PWE pushes all their staff to the more "profitable" game, and leaves the older games to rot. This is a fact. Look at Ether Saga or any game that PWE published that has been out for more than a year. It's a means of milking the game and moving on to milk the next. It works for PWE... Not for the players, who, evident by the two closures already of PWE games in the past, often times are shafted.

Remember that Perfect World Entertainment is a company. Like all for-profit companies, they are looking to reap every possible amount out of each endeavor, before moving on to the next. They keep staff low enough so that they cut costs and over-work the ones they have. It's what many, many, many companies all through the world do. It's a means of maximizing profit and returns yearly.
  • alexanade
    alexanade Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    lol There any real playerbase left?

well...yea...those lurking here b:chuckle
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options

Lol, what makes you think they bothered informing the NA team about their plans? The Chinese devs are infamous for their lack of communication and interest in informing the NA about anything. That is quite obvious with every patch, when stuff that our team knows nothing about 'slips in'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Lol, what makes you think they bothered informing the NA team about their plans? The Chinese devs are infamous for their lack of communication and interest in informing the NA about anything. That is quite obvious with every patch, when stuff that our team knows nothing about.

This +1

Remember when Nirvana first came? We were told (as was spoons) that since we weren't getting Chienkungs for refine transfers, we'd be able to do it without them for our Nirvana gears. Cue a video by Wizzeled showing how wrong that was.

And that's for when our CMs get lied to. There's plenty of times we can point out where changes blindside them and they just plain aren't told things. Like the change in the event boutique near June that turned the refine aids into the type that had to be used on "bound" equipment.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Foxyas - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2014
    Options
    and it's not an expansion, expansions don't have open betas xD

Actually, some games have beta expansions-game name here- has been doing it for -thing here- expansion but yes PW doesn't beta test their expansions, sadly. Instead we get a bit of new content and a ton of glitches they may or may not fix in months.
  • mightymoose
    mightymoose Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Lol, what makes you think they bothered informing the NA team about their plans? The Chinese devs are infamous for their lack of communication and interest in informing the NA about anything. That is quite obvious with every patch, when stuff that our team knows nothing about 'slips in'.

That's exactly why Sparkie needs to ask them. They're probably not going to bother informing the NA team on their own. So NA needs to take the initiative to ask for the info. Just ask them point blank : is this an expansion or a new game?
    Actually, some games have beta expansions. -game name here- has been doing it for -thing here- expansion but yes PW doesn't beta test their expansions, sadly. Instead we get a bit of new content and a ton of glitches they may or may not fix in months.

Yup -game name here- does this too. They have a closed beta followed by an open beta for their expansions.
  • Mars - Morai
    Mars - Morai Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Chinese always have open beta for 1-2 weeks before big expansion goes live. I have beta client and play on beta server,will see soon if they give us full client or just patch. Ppl who asked chinese support saying its just update.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited September 2014
    Options
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    OMG the artwork looks awesome! I won't hold my breath, though, their artwork has always looked awesome, yet completely different from the real deal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I'm guessing new version of the game. Perfect World 1 was subscription based, never made it here. We have remnants of it in the form of the WQ items we sometimes get.

Perfect World 2 was enough of a departure, that they made it separate, even though it's the same game. It had issues, in that it was developed before all the different licenses started being handed out. And they had to manually change it to work with each individual licensee, which only works as long as there is enough money to justify it.

Factor in that last year they were talking about PWI (perfect world 2/our version) was referenced in conference calls as being expected to be monetized with a life span of 5 years. We're in 6 now. But the thing is, their flagship was mentioned.

In the previous 2 conference calls, nothing about PWI at all. It's been about building their mobile game segments, and the big thing: consoles being allowed in China finally.

So combine your idea of how simple it should be as an expansion, with all the little changes needed for each region, for a game that doesn't make enough money anymore to warrant discussion in a conference call, with the pain in the *** of making an old game never designed to work with consoles, work with consoles.

Quite honestly, it'd be easier for them to revamp the whole thing, start fresh with PC/console compatibility (XBoxone if you're curious), and build it up there. People might leave? They done left already. Already went over how it doesn't make enough to rate mention, and any people leaving would be easily replaced.

All the people who left because they didn't have anyone to adventure with? They'd give it a try because there will be people. Some who won't want to change? XboxOne doesn't have enough F2P games that it will be buried like it would on a PC only game. Heck, if they allow you to play the same account on either, makes it easy to play wherever.

But mobile and console is where they are putting their focus on nowadays. It's a perfect reason to make a new game completely breaking with the older version, and shareholders won't care because they already got an extra year of monetization that was never expected out of it. F2Pers would rather have the new game, since it will be easier to climb up with everyone starting fresh. Old schoolers constantly harping about hyper babies would jump, to get away from the hyper babies. And most likely laugh at them as they **** up repeatedly in the new game before rage quitting

Really only the heavy CSers, and those who have spent forever and don't want to give up their advantage are the ones who wouldn't shift over. People complain about lack of TWs and PvP, are they going to stay just because they don't want to start over? Even if the new game has tons of PvP from lvl 30 on?

Face it, a new version would revitalize PvE and PvP completely compared to what it is now. They would build the game from scratch knowing how large the market will be, and won't have to fix each separate version for unique quirks the way it is now. Honestly as long as their CS doesn't gimp actual play right away (wait a while before selling maxed crafting and such), the first year or so should be enough fun. And with a larger reachable audience right away, they may be able to hold off on things like anni packs even longer; hopefully.

EDIT:

Psychic? That doesn't look like a tideborn; it's pink and doesn't have weird ears.
  • narkotikrus
    narkotikrus Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Psychic? That doesn't look like a tideborn; it's pink and doesn't have weird ears.
    Yes, it is.
    Ears - hairstyle
    Do not forget that the game completely redrawn may psyhick and asassin will have the human skin color.
    Sorry for the language, I'm Russian :)
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Yes, it is.
    Ears - hairstyle
    Do not forget that the game completely redrawn may psyhick and asassin will have the human skin color.
    Sorry for the language, I'm Russian :)

She has human ears.

I dunno why anyone is trying to draw any conclusions from the art. Remember the seeker with a dagger and sword? Or the weird veno/assassin hybrid that nobody could figure out? Really the art could be for even NPCs and we wouldn't know.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Fail_BM - Raging Tide
    Fail_BM - Raging Tide Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    PW's art means false advisementb:laugh

Btw, I started to play here thinking venomancers were sick looking assassins which used poison and stuff to kill others. After I installed the game it was a surprised to see venos were little girls with animal presets which doesn't have more than one skill to inflict poison, I was disappointed and curious at same timeb:chuckle.