Forum Necromonger

2»

Comments

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Sweetiebot you are no longer allowed to say stuff like "Pardon me?", "What are you talking about?", "Please explain", "I would like to talk about", "I am bored", "I don't understand". That's being too whiny.
    Sorry, I do not understand.
    Told ya Sweetiebot was in her rebellious phase. Now she's even ignoring Ast.

For the topic on hand, as much as we may joke about it, it wouldn't really be that good of an idea. Sweetiebot may catch a good deal of them but she doesn't get everything and we'd still have to go behind her to check on things. And that's just for the regular necros we'd close and not do anything further with. There's also many times where we do allow it (granted, these are few and far between) as well as things like when we quietly drop a thread back to where it was while removing the posts causing issues or even the times we give people their own threads. Those are all judgement calls that an automated system wouldn't cover and we already have enough people that either think Sweetiebot is a real poster or that it's affiliated with PWI in any sort of official sense.

We're lenient enough as is when it comes to infractions for necromancy because we understand you can be impatient or miss the post date or the like (we try to be nice and assume people actually read the rules). Sweetiebot automatically closing those would, again, either mean people who should be warned for it don't or that people making an honest error wouldn't... and as for the whole taking it as a competition to make the biggest necro... that's the kind of stuff that will get someone warned or give them a vacation from the forums. If a person is willing to use Sweetiebot as an excuse to break a rule they know they shouldn't, that doesn't exactly put them in a positive light when a decision has to be made that involves benefit of the doubt now does it?

Also, contrary to the belief expressed in this thread,
    Krisnda wrote: »

It's an issue when:

A. The information in the topic isn't revelent or out of date, and it would be better for that person to make another thread on the topic.

B. The person replying to "help" doesn't know that the OP has made that post years (or months) ago, and will most likely not respond to that necro'ed post.

And

C. The necro'ed post is trollish/not needed.
    are the most common necros around here. Not things like looking through old screenshots or adding relevant new information to a topic that we formerly thought was covered and the like.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A rule's a rule. On top of that, even if a thread topic is still valid, the majority of the people who have posted in that thread aren't playing anymore, and won't add anything to the thread. And to add onto that, if the thread is long, finding where the discussion was necro'd/recent is not something a lot of players do, thus making that thread not relevant to anything. As stated in the rules, just make a new thread regarding the discussion in mind, rather than necro an old thread.
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    Zsw - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Or you know, just build it into the forum's scripting so that you can't reply to a topic after x days old.
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin
    TehZsw - 100 Demon Archer

All Luck No Skillz PvPer: youtube.com/user/zsw007
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Or you know, just build it into the forum's scripting so that you can't reply to a topic after x days old.

Like us mods have that capability to modify the forums like that.
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    Geckofreak - Sanctuary Posts: 2,280 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I had already suggested Sweetiebot be a mod in the off topic section for this purpose. But honestly it isnt a good idea to close every month old thread the moment it becomes a month old or get necroed. Sometimes something comes up and it is appropriate to continue a thread instead of it being closed. Threads being necroed isnt that much of a common occurrence nowadays either
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SkogDyr - Lost City
    SkogDyr - Lost City Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    -snip- Threads being necroed isnt that much of a common occurrence nowadays either

Hmm Is that a challenge? b:sin

tbh, if there is something from an old thread that you want to bring up, quote, clip or reference it in a new thread. (although, any thread by spoons should be stickied and kept alive for all to see, forever.) b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    edited January 2014
    Hmm Is that a challenge? b:sin

You can no longer accept challenges due to client instability.

We apologize for the inconvenience and intend to make it up to you via a --removed due to client instability--
  • SkogDyr - Lost City
    SkogDyr - Lost City Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    OPKossy wrote: »
    You can no longer accept challenges due to client instability.

We apologize for the inconvenience and intend to make it up to you via a --removed due to client instability--

Wow, Thanks for the gift Kossy!

Everyone, Kossy wanted me to pass along that if you -message removed due to client instability-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    edited January 2014
    Wow, Thanks for the gift Kossy!

Everyone, Kossy wanted me to pass along that if you -message removed due to client instability-

Oh noes! The instability has worsened! b:sin
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited January 2014
    Oh noes! The instability has worsened! b:sin

is very curious as to what kossy removed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    is very curious as to what kossy removed
    He said that if someone PM'd Kossy, she'd use her mod powers in order to open the DQ page for them. The more PMs she got the more she'd open. Then it had lots of empty space and a troll bearface at the end.
    It was nothing, really.
    *softily watches over thread*
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    She removed *removed due to instability* from the *removed due to instability*.
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited January 2014
    She removed *removed due to instability* from the *removed due to instability*.

o.o??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Roseary - Sanctuary
    Roseary - Sanctuary Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    She removed *cookies* from the *game*.

I fixed it for you there Krissy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2014
    o.o??

You clearily did not even try to quote my post, did you.
    :3 It's secret invisible text psssst~ I mean, what? Invisible text? That's the most nonsense I've ever heard.

And, Rose, that's perfect x3 a little more on the Venu side though, haha~
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    edited January 2014
    I fixed it for you there Krissy.

Oh **** they're on to me!

TO THE BATMOBILE! *flees*
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited January 2014

You clearily did not even try to quote my post, did you.
    :3 It's secret invisible text psssst~ I mean, what? Invisible text? That's the most nonsense I've ever heard.

And, Rose, that's perfect x3 a little more on the Venu side though, haha~

I dont normally expect such trickery from my sweet little deerfoxy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm still not fond of sweetiebot either way.

Ya sweetiebot tried to ban me from that popularity contest thingy cause I was too popular. Hella racist.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Oh **** they're on to me!

TO THE BATMOBILE! *flees*

After her!!! >:o
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well... that escalated quickly.

*Waits patiently to necro the thread about necro'ing threads.*

b:cute
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited January 2014
    After her!!! >:o

I put an arrow into and popped a tire!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    Zsw - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Like us mods have that capability to modify the forums like that.

Right. I almost forgot that PWI's absolute negligence of everything is one of the reasons as to why I quit.
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin
    TehZsw - 100 Demon Archer

All Luck No Skillz PvPer: youtube.com/user/zsw007
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2014
    Pff, not expecting the occasional trickery from something with fox in its name x3?? I can be tricky occasionally.
    I dont normally expect such trickery from my sweet little deerfoxy
    .... Much more deer than fox but it works. (loves~)
    But I had to D:! To protect myself from client instability and to inform a you~!
  • SarraLost - Sanctuary
    SarraLost - Sanctuary Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If PWE were to ATTEMPT to make an automatic closing tool to automatically close old threads, they WOULD **** IT UP. Look at Core Connect. Look at Arc. Look at Facebook Connect. Look at DQ Rewards. Look at the freaking game.

So in all honesty, I think they should just say '**** it' to the necro rule and who cares.

PWE paid staff is about as flexible as a titanium rod. They're about as smart too. Honestly, they don't really care at all about this game, nor your complaint, so why make a fuss about it?
    When the 11 and 12 star orbs were removed due to
    "Client Instability"...
    Was PWE referring to the Game Client?
    Or the players?
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2014

What I will debate here is why these threads are even open for posting?
    i think it all boils down to, and sorry if it may seem harsh, mods/pwi give us the benefit of the doubt that we have enough common sense to not touch a thread thats years and years old. And that even the oblivious will learn after a mod keeps them in check 1-2 times
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • ToyMaker_NOT - Raging Tide
    ToyMaker_NOT - Raging Tide Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sorry, I been away from the forums (days off from work).
    i think it all boils down to, and sorry if it may seem harsh, mods/pwi give us the benefit of the doubt that we have enough common sense to not touch a thread thats years and years old. And that even the oblivious will learn after a mod keeps them in check 1-2 times

Something my mom taught me as a child about putting items of value away and not leaving them out. She would say, "It's to keep the honest people honest". In other words, you remove the temptation.
    I had already suggested Sweetiebot be a mod in the off topic section for this purpose. But honestly it isnt a good idea to close every month old thread the moment it becomes a month old or get necroed.

I would want this either. As Kossy posted, there may be exceptions where a thread may still be valid after a 30+ days of inactivity. My point is SweetBot is just code; and, as such, it can be modified to close an inactive thread that has gone 6 month, a year, or longer whatever time period the MODs see fit. Why wait until someone decides to necro a thread before the MODs act on closing and reprimanding the poster if needed?

Personally I believe in working smarter, not harder.
  • opkossy
    edited January 2014
    Thing is... if the admins wanted, they could just use the automatically close thread after X time feature most forums come with. No Sweetiebot required.

But, like I already pointed out, we're running on a watered down and old version of vBulletin. So who knows.

We'd probably have a lot of forum related issues dealt with if we were to ever upgrade the forum software, but with some of the customization we have here, even if they were going to do that it'd take a while to make sure they don't break anything major in the process.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Something my mom taught me as a child about putting items of value away and not leaving them out. She would say, "It's to keep the honest people honest". In other words, you remove the temptation.
    Inb4 all Mods retire and are replaced with Bots due to lack of Mod applicants.

I don't think it's a bad idea though, it saves the Mods some time. Question is, is that possible? Will the staff support this?
    dont make me raise my hand f:cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • AegonVI - Morai
    AegonVI - Morai Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I believe necroing can be done by accident b:thanks