Identity change and server merge

Bhavyy - Raging Tide
Bhavyy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,083 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
So there's been a lot of talk about server merges and one of the problems associated with it being name databases. I'm not sure about the technicalities but I just wanted to know what people thought of the name change now that it's available, whether or not this removes the issue of the name databases in the way of server merges and if so, whether the ability to change names has changed peoples opinion on whether or not we should have server merges :)

Discuss away!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
youtube.com/bhavenmurji
pwcalc.com/65816fd7725681e1
Post edited by Bhavyy - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, would love to see a server merge.. although I'm half expecting another lame excuse as to why it can't happen. If the names can be changes with an item in the cash shop, they could just modify conflicting names to like Adroit-LC and give me a name change scroll if I request it.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • bobyjoee
    bobyjoee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They have done it before, they merged the EU servers which is now known as the Morai server, so they can merge servers and the names weren't really a big issue. the reason they did that was because those servers desperately needed to be merged because of lack of people, so they will only do it if they REALLY need to because of lack of people, which is prevalent on some servers, just wish PWE would notice.
  • DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bobyjoee wrote: »
    They have done it before, they merged the EU servers which is now known as the Morai server, so they can merge servers and the names weren't really a big issue. the reason they did that was because those servers desperately needed to be merged because of lack of people, so they will only do it if they REALLY need to because of lack of people, which is prevalent on some servers, just wish PWE would notice.

The reason why they could merge them is because they were using the same name database.

The entire issue over merging other servers is that they don't share name databases.
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • Bhavyy - Raging Tide
    Bhavyy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm half expecting another lame excuse as to why it can't happen.

+1 but a fool can hope right?

The entire issue over merging other servers is that they don't share name databases.

I thought some of them do. I may be mistaken but on a previous thread I think it was Skaitavia who wrote down which servers share name databases. I could be completely wrong though and so could he but he's as well informed as any other so.. I'll try and find the thread/post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/bhavenmurji
    pwcalc.com/65816fd7725681e1
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited October 2013
    I thought some of them do. I may be mistaken but on a previous thread I think it was Skaitavia who wrote down which servers share name databases. I could be completely wrong though and so could he but he's as well informed as any other so.. I'll try and find the thread/post.
    Some do, some don't.

The servers that share a name database would be easy to merge. The servers that don't share the name database would be extremely difficult.

IIRC, Sanc, HT, and Archosaur share the same name database. Two of those are arguably the most popular servers there are, so though merging them would be easy by database standards, you're going to have some hardware issues with load balancing.

It's not likely that we will ever see a merge. I think they are currently looking into ways to separate them so that we can have the server vs server NW's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Samaela - Dreamweaver
    Samaela - Dreamweaver Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I highly doubt there will be a server merge - but I really do wish for it. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Samaela[demon cleric]||Nanimee[mystic]||aquaelle[psychic]
  • ApocaIypto - Dreamweaver
    ApocaIypto - Dreamweaver Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    like Adroit said. they can change to AdroitLC, ApocalyptoDW. and give us free name change if we want in that case.
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    like Adroit said. they can change to AdroitLC, ApocalyptoDW. and give us free name change if we want in that case.

According to me it won't be fair enough... If they renamed Adroit to AdroitLC before a merge, maybe there will also be some AdroitDW, AdroitRT, ...
    If the first one to use the free change name after the merge is AdroitDW, or even another wizard wih a totally different name, I'm not sure Adroit(LC) will be very happy
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Roseary - Sanctuary
    Roseary - Sanctuary Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    For the past 4 years there have been talks about server merges, if one were to happen then duplicate names would get slightly altered and given a chance to rename themselves at no charge. I'm not sure if that happened here for PWI but for some reason the memory ties PWE to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We already have a faction, order and title tag over our head- a server tag shouldnt really be too problematic i would have thought! b:chuckle
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    For the past 4 years there have been talks about server merges, if one were to happen then duplicate names would get slightly altered and given a chance to rename themselves at no charge. I'm not sure if that happened here for PWI but for some reason the memory ties PWE to it.
    For nameserver merges, name changes are usually implemented at login since that's the easiest to code. Either way, this won't be as complicated a matter as some think, even with Perfect World's record of **** things up.

I would hope that a server merge is considered, because one or two large servers would last several more years whereas a dwindling population on all servers would effectively kill the game faster.
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've been wanting this for a long time.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think that if they merge servers they should make them PVP servers.

I'm from HL and I'm telling you HL is dead, like totally dead, but people can still find people to do all the PVE they wanna do, HL would like to merge to have some new people in PVP.

It's the PVP part that is dead on servers, not the PVE part.

Same for TW, people need new challenge for TW and PVP.

Right now the 2 PVP servers are not on the same time zone and cannot be merge unless they change the time and that would probably create a ton of complains from both side if the time change.

I think PVE people are scare of PVP cause they think that if they get pk they will automatically drop items, which is wrong, the chance to drop item while white name is 1% which is rare and even if it does it will not drop something equipped.

Also on PVP servers if someone pk you more than 3 times questing or NOT, it's considered as harassment and people can report it, while on PVE server harassment is allowed and for people like venomancer that are obligated to turn into pk mode to do the daily instance they would have more help on a PVP server than PVE server if they get harass pk.

PWCN don't even have PVE servers and while PWI have only 2 PVP severs and 6 PVE servers.

I cannot speak on why people quit the game on PVE servers, but on PVP servers people quit cause they are bored cause there's no challenge anymore in PVP/TW cause we fight the same people since 5 years.

If they merge servers and turn them into PVP servers, I'm sure a LOT of people would complain and threat to quit the game, but after try it for a while some people would realize that it's not that bad and I'm sure there's even some people that would enjoy it.

If they don't merge HL and LC with other servers those server will die, if HL and LC got merge with a PVE server into a PVE server people from HL and LC will quit.

PVE people can easy avoid the PVP zones on a PVP server, while PVP is hard to find on all servers PVP or PVE.

And I'm sure if they merge server into PVP a lot of old players will come back cause they will have a new challenge PVP/TW.

Anyway it's personally what I think about servers merge, I see no point to merge 2 PVE servers into a PVE server, it's not the PVE content the issue in my opinion, but the PVP/TW challenge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
    edited October 2013
    For nameserver merges, name changes are usually implemented at login since that's the easiest to code. Either way, this won't be as complicated a matter as some think, even with Perfect World's record of **** things up.

I would hope that a server merge is considered, because one or two large servers would last several more years whereas a dwindling population on all servers would effectively kill the game faster.
    Actually it is quite complicated.

Your basic character data is stored in an SQL database.
    Your extended character data is stored in an xml format file.
    Then all of this data is linked within several different proprietary format databases.

It's not a simple matter of changing it in just one spot, but it will additionally have to be changed in each of the other databases, and in all of the cross-linked data between your account, and everyone else that you've interacted with.

Not to mention that the people that originally designed all of this content, and the way it all interacts, aren't available anymore.

I've tested and tried it using several different methods on my own servers. It has not been successful. I also have researched it and not found anyone else that has successfully done it either. It is certainly no small task.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Peccable - Raging Tide
    Peccable - Raging Tide Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Also on PVP servers if someone pk you more than 3 times questing or NOT, it's considered as harassment and people can report it
    genuinely surprised here. b:surprised

i agree that the merged server should be pvp. even on pve servers the only endgame we have is pvp related. tw, nw, pk and so on. to appease the pve population, pwi could put 2 permanent guardian scrolls into the quest inventory - that should be a fair compromise between pvp and pve people.

as for the ever changing lame excuses why we didn't get SvS or a server merge:
    if the cost of a merge exceeds the prospective profits, then there wont be a merge. so unless some management tool comes up with an idea to make us pay for it (like the "cheap" name-change that will cause more trouble than good), then there wont be SvS or a server-merge.
    people seem to forget that pwi is not designed to be fun or enjoyable, it is designed to get the player hooked on it like heroin and frustrated enough to cash shop for an advantage over the other 'heroin' addicts... come to think of it, as a fellow 'heroin' addict i would actually prefer a permanent server-shutdown over a server-merge. b:sad
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Talk about missing the obvious.

PvP is dead on the servers where you choose PvP and now you want to kill every the rest of the servers.

Typical of PvP players, I cannot kill you so, instead I will kill the game, by forcing you to be my target when you choose to play a PvE game.

I and many of my friends who have left after spending years with this game, did so because of the change of play style to more PvP oriented play and away from the MMORPG we started with.

Do not tell me what I am missing as I gave your new PvP instances a good run and found them to become as boring as any other PvP instances I have done in all the games I have played over the years. This quickness to reach boredom in PvP is the reason I choose to play a MMORPG in the first place rather than another MOBA.

If the only reason you want a merge is for PvP then maybe the better solution is you pick the correct style of online game to play e.g. MOBA

One last thing, its true, merging is not as simple as you seem to think, as SylenThunder has pointed out, there is more than one database effected here, for example every piece of gear or weapons you have ever created in game has your name attached and these would also need to be altered.
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited October 2013
    Typical of PvP players, I cannot kill you so, instead I will kill the game, by forcing you to be my target when you choose to play a PvE game.

I can't be the only one that finds this amusing.
  • Lolitta - Raging Tide
    Lolitta - Raging Tide Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I dont agree of 1 single PVP server. I dont like PVP and I dont win anything by killing players. The best way if you guys want server merge is 1 server PVP and 1 server PVE.
    Maybe they make new classes and if we want to create them we will be killed like every minute and I dont wanna waste time killing instead of farming, questing or lvl up. Available for new players as well and people that making alts....
    If anyone wanna PK and PVP they do white name...easy, no one stop you to PK...
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Oh, it's completely adorable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • bobyjoee
    edited October 2013
    I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think that if they merge servers they should make them PVP servers.

I'm from HL and I'm telling you HL is dead, like totally dead, but people can still find people to do all the PVE they wanna do, HL would like to merge to have some new people in PVP.

It's the PVP part that is dead on servers, not the PVE part.

Same for TW, people need new challenge for TW and PVP.

Right now the 2 PVP servers are not on the same time zone and cannot be merge unless they change the time and that would probably create a ton of complains from both side if the time change.

I think PVE people are scare of PVP cause they think that if they get pk they will automatically drop items, which is wrong, the chance to drop item while white name is 1% which is rare and even if it does it will not drop something equipped.

Also on PVP servers if someone pk you more than 3 times questing or NOT, it's considered as harassment and people can report it, while on PVE server harassment is allowed and for people like venomancer that are obligated to turn into pk mode to do the daily instance they would have more help on a PVP server than PVE server if they get harass pk.

PWCN don't even have PVE servers and while PWI have only 2 PVP severs and 6 PVE servers.

I cannot speak on why people quit the game on PVE servers, but on PVP servers people quit cause they are bored cause there's no challenge anymore in PVP/TW cause we fight the same people since 5 years.

If they merge servers and turn them into PVP servers, I'm sure a LOT of people would complain and threat to quit the game, but after try it for a while some people would realize that it's not that bad and I'm sure there's even some people that would enjoy it.

If they don't merge HL and LC with other servers those server will die, if HL and LC got merge with a PVE server into a PVE server people from HL and LC will quit.

PVE people can easy avoid the PVP zones on a PVP server, while PVP is hard to find on all servers PVP or PVE.

And I'm sure if they merge server into PVP a lot of old players will come back cause they will have a new challenge PVP/TW.

Anyway it's personally what I think about servers merge, I see no point to merge 2 PVE servers into a PVE server, it's not the PVE content the issue in my opinion, but the PVP/TW challenge.

I disagree, people just dont PK, what sense does it make to turn a 2 PVE servers in to PVP? not everyone wants to pvp or always have the thought or fear that they can be killed at any time they are questing, imo pvp servers are the worst. PVP isnt the problem in this game if you have been on the forums at all.
  • Lolitta - Raging Tide
    edited October 2013
    bobyjoee wrote: »
    I disagree, people just dont PK, what sense does it make to turn a 2 PVE servers in to PVP? not everyone wants to pvp or always have the thought or fear that they can be killed at any time they are questing, imo pvp servers are the worst. PVP isnt the problem in this game if you have been on the forums at all.

I told same thing. GO white name if you wanna PVP and PK no one stopping you but dont force us to do same if we sign for PVE..
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If there was a server merge, I wouldn't be happy if I got the name Azura-LC... ijs.
    edited October 2013
    Personally, merging the servers and making it forced PvP isn't such a bad idea, but set the forced-white name level to 100 instead of 30. From 30-100 you would still have a choice.

It's not like PvP is any good when you're just ganking the little guy anyway. All that makes you is a ****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited October 2013

And this is why this game has one less player now, spending his real world dollars paying for what he wants, not what others want, in another game.

Maybe you should try thinking, instead of laughing you may just learn something.

b:chuckle
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Kuzshi - Dreamweaver
    Kuzshi - Dreamweaver Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh, it's completely adorable.
    Says the level 105s on PvP servers. f:meh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Personally, merging the servers and making it forced PvP isn't such a bad idea, but set the forced-white name level to 100 instead of 30. From 30-100 you would still have a choice.

It's not like PvP is any good when you're just ganking the little guy anyway. All that makes you is a ****.

I would be okay with this compromise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited October 2013
    And this is why this game has one less player now, spending his real world dollars paying for what he wants, not what others want, in another game.

Maybe you should try thinking, instead of laughing you may just learn something.

b:chuckle

Learn what exactly? That being unable to kill somebody but trying anyway somehow kills the game? Your post reeks of butthurt, and I think you gave enough clues in your QQ essay to guess why b:chuckle
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I and many of my friends who have left after spending years with this game...

I don't understand people that left the game that continue to come on forums saying they are against that and that.

That's a good idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • bobyjoee
    edited October 2013
    That's a good idea.

Whats up with you guys and FORCED pvp? the people that want to pvp will pvp and the people who dont will always fear being pked, not everyone at 100 has god like gear not to mention they will be seen as more of a target because people will assume "oh a level 100 I can go kill them". no, just dont have forced pvp at all, problem solved. Not everyone is here for PVP including myself, I just dont want to pk, i like pve way more. NW and TW are fine, but I dont want to be killed while im out doing something/not hiding in a safe zone/risk of losing things.

PVP is dead because of a declining population, if servers were merged you would see people pk(willingly) not forced, which is just stupid.
  • Lolitta - Raging Tide
    edited October 2013
    I dont agree with PVP even at 100+ lvl . You can FORCE yourself to PVP by enable white name and there ya go, you are PK on !
    I say again: Who wants PVP can go white name but who doesn't want have no choice? Some of us join PVE server and we wanna stay like that. Just make 2 servers 1 pvp 1 pve and no one cry anymore!