8-hour grinding limit: It's here.

Options
13»

Comments

• VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    And that's what I'm talking about. You buy console, lets say Xbox360, and for the next 7-8 years you don't need to spend any money on upgrades. $0 costs for hardware upgrade.

On the other hand, you need to update your PC at least every 4 years to be able to play new games, without reducing resolution and details.
    So in one console cycle, you need to upgrade your PC, at least, two times. And PC costs much more than console. Basic upgrade is new CPU and GPU. Combination of good CPU and GPU is around $300. And that's without costs of installing components, cause many people don't even know how to install hardware. And I'm also talking about new stuff only.

We're talking about people who are not able to get enough money to "go with the trends". There is a lot of cheap games out there. They don't have to play new game as soon as it hits market.

We're talking about games. Gamer PC needs to have powerful CPU and GPU, and those things costs a lot of money. Upgrading PC to play games isn't good investment, it's really, really wrong thing to do if you're on tight budget.

On the other hand, you can buy any cheap PC and it will be perfect to surf the web and search for jobs (in modern day, that means be on Facebook all day long b:laugh)

Thus far the consoles have all been upgraded within 4-6 years, not 7-8. Sure this nextgen looks like it's going to be 7 but I doubt it's going to last 8. And after that it'll probably go back to the old trend because that seems much more profitable. Besides, once they are upgraded. That's it. You're done. You can no longer use it to play new games even after they aren't trendy anymore. You must buy an entirely new rig. Having to buy a new console in 6 years and having to upgrade your PC in the same amount of time isn't that huge a difference in price. 300 dollars for a PS3 at one point which was the same amount you quoted for the hardware to upgrade the PC. But the PC can play free games. And if more people demanded backwards compatibility, PCs would be much better investment than they are now. I don't care how cheap the game is, if you have to pay money for it then it's more expensive than free.

And the cheap PC people do not have to go with the trends, many of them end up with games like these instead of the shiny voldemort games. And it's not a really, really wrong thing to do. It's much smarter to spend the 300 dollars to upgrade a PC every 10 years or so then spending 300 dollars on a console that isn't going to do anything more for you than act as a money sink and has to be replaced ever 4-7 years. A gaming PC can handle many other tasks, and if you can get good at computers. You can make money. You can make a pc work for you, you can't say the same for a console.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • CroPsy - Heavens Tear
    CroPsy - Heavens Tear Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Thus far the consoles have all been upgraded within 4-6 years, not 7-8. Sure this nextgen looks like it's going to be 7 but I doubt it's going to last 8. And after that it'll probably go back to the old trend because that seems much more profitable. Besides, once they are upgraded. That's it. You're done. You can no longer use it to play new games even after they aren't trendy anymore. You must buy an entirely new rig. Having to buy a new console in 6 years and having to upgrade your PC in the same amount of time isn't that huge a difference in price. 300 dollars for a PS3 at one point which was the same amount you quoted for the hardware to upgrade the PC. But the PC can play free games. And if more people demanded backwards compatibility, PCs would be much better investment than they are now. I don't care how cheap the game is, if you have to pay money for it then it's more expensive than free.

And the cheap PC people do not have to go with the trends, many of them end up with games like these instead of the shiny voldemort games. And it's not a really, really wrong thing to do. It's much smarter to spend the 300 dollars to upgrade a PC every 10 years or so then spending 300 dollars on a console that isn't going to do anything more for you than act as a money sink and has to be replaced ever 4-7 years. A gaming PC can handle many other tasks, and if you can get good at computers. You can make money. You can make a pc work for you, you can't say the same for a console.

Hm, no.
    You can't upgrade your PC every 10 years and expect to play new games.
    Current Gen consoles are already 7 years old, and Sony and MS are talking about 10 year cycle.
    And there are still NEW games for PlayStation 2, and PS2 still keeps selling, it's not out of production.
    Quote from wikipedia:
    As of 2012, over 12 years after its initial release, new games continue to be developed and sold. The latest game is MLB 2K12, released in March 2012 in North America only;[10] FIFA 13 and PES 2013 will be released for the system in September 2012
    New games will be published for Xbox360 and Playstation 3 long after we get next gen Xbox and Playstation, for one simple reason - there are so many people who own those consoles that it doesn't make sense not to publish new games on those systems too.

You can't buy new PC now, for like $500-600 and expect it to last 10 years if you spend just $300 in the meantime on upgrades.

Backward compatibility? On PC? What do you mean by that?
    You want new games to run on DX7 hardware?

And I'll repeat again. We're talking about games, not doing business on your PC. We're talking about games which are, for 99.9% of gamers waste of money, or as you say, coin sink.
    I'm still finding it hard to understand how it's better to buy PC for Games (let's say you can buy pretty good Gaming PC for $850, then spend another $300-350 every two year to keep up with games.

There is only handful of F2P games that are worth playing, and PC gamers will also spend $60 on games, just like console players.
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Even if they implement that, who can grind for 8 hours per day(besides bots)?b:faint

2x is the only time really where players can play a bit...."excessively."

If we had a 3x event, I'm sure loads of players will try to pull off 12 hours+ play sessions.

But like I said, 2x is probably the only reason why someone would play past 8 hours.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2012
    Options
    ...Sony and MS are talking about 10 year cycle.

Minor correction needed here. Both Sony and Microshaft are planning on rolling out the next generation systems next year. This will put them below a 10-year cycle.

Besides, at the rate technology advances, a 10-year cycle for any type of hardware is economic suicide.

On subject... There are many of us that play for several hours at a time on the weekend. Basically the way the 8-hour limit would affect me is that around Saturday night, I would stop getting drops, exp, or spirit for anything I did.

Personally, it will just make me play my alts more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I'm still finding it hard to understand how it's better to buy PC for Games (let's say you can buy pretty good Gaming PC for $850, then spend another $300-350 every two year to keep up with games.

anyone who pays 850$us for a good gaming pc should be slapped. you can build one for half of that
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    This will only be worrisome if it is an overall drop/reward timer whereby squad members on expired timers could effect the xp/drop/rewards given to others, and is not limited to just grinding in the world on normal mobs for dq, as in the example of dq bot farmers.
    If we had a 3x event, I'm sure loads of players will try to pull off 12 hours+ play sessions.
    b:shocked please no, I like sleeping b:cry
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2012
    Options
    anyone who pays 850$us for a good gaming pc should be slapped. you can build one for half of that

Actually, I would spend that much building my own gaming rig.
    It will out-perform anything you can get retail for $4-6 grand, and a third of the cost would likely be on the video card.

It would likely out-perform any new systems for the next 3 years, and should be able to run the majority of mainstream releases for the next 7 years. And wouldn't have to be replaced for a good 10-12 years. (But that's assuming that technology continues to advance at it's current state, which is not likely to prove true.)

When I built this system for $500 back in 2008, it was a budget system, that was leading edge for the standards. It wasn't until last year that the video card quit keeping up with the latest releases. (Unfortunately, the video card recently fried, and so now I am looking at having to re-budget my upgrade process.)

So, right now, I'm shafted with a decent system that's relying on a video chip that wasn't really designed to play games. I can play PWI, but just barely. In the end, I know it's my system that's at fault, and is not an issue with the game or it's limitations. It's frustrating as hell.
    The choice is hard though. Drop $120 into a video card for now and push back my rebuild, or keep saving up for a full rebuild later this year and just live with it until then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options

Two things.

Firstly, not everyone has the know-how nor the effort to build a pc from scratch.

Secondly, yes, if you're buying anything that is labeled "Gaming PC", you're most likely paying excessive amounts for expensive graphics cards, popular brands and the assembling job, rather than good hardware. Now that is indeed rather stupid.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Lecus - Lost City
    Lecus - Lost City Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Or your a fangirl or fanboy for certain products and are willing to shell out extra for the best from them.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Or your a fangirl or fanboy for certain products and are willing to shell out extra for the best from them.

Well if you're a baseless fan based on nothing but the brand name and possibly a good experience or two, then you are indeed doing it wrong.

But there are all kinds of factors for people to buy expensive hardware. For example, I got a 80 euro "gaming" mouse because I happened to have a 50 euro gift card. I figured that I might as well try Bluetrack if I can get it that cheap.

Similarly, I bought a 40 euro "gaming" keyboard because it had media keys and the height of the keys was just right for me. Some people make a fuss about the placement of keys or whether the keyboard is mechanical or not, for me it's the height of the keys. Interestingly, the hotkey for Calculator has become one of my favorite features.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options

Apple is the most valuable company to ever exist based on clever marketing to easily influenced people. "I just like it" "It just works" "apple is the best"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Two things.

Firstly, not everyone has the know-how nor the effort to build a pc from scratch.

Secondly, yes, if you're buying anything that is labeled "Gaming PC", you're most likely paying excessive amounts for expensive graphics cards, popular brands and the assembling job, rather than good hardware. Now that is indeed rather stupid.

Oh you are right about that for sure.
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Apple is the most valuable company to ever exist based on clever marketing to easily influenced people. "I just like it" "It just works" "apple is the best"

as it stands 1 share = iphone/ipad while 2 shares = macbook. think aapl has been good enough to me that i can part with a share or two... or three. then again... goog has probably been good enough to me that i would eventually trade in 1 share for one of those nifty glasses.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    as it stands 1 share = iphone/ipad while 2 shares = macbook. think aapl has been good enough to me that i can part with a share or two... or three. then again... goog has probably been good enough to me that i would eventually trade in 1 share for one of those nifty glasses.

your rich enough to buy 2 of everything, so you dont count in the calculus b:scorn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2012
    Options
    your rich enough to buy 2 of everything, so you dont count in the calculus b:scorn

$1.92 worth of (half lb) potato wedges from luckys for lunch ftw.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

• Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    i have an updated desktop , a laptop , 1 Sony Xperia smartphone , an ipad , a 12 MP Nikon Digital camera a new 4 GB Xbox 360 , 4 8GB USB flash disks and 2 iphones that belong to parents.

Am i rich enough to gain the permission to bitc.h around this thread ?????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2012
    Options
    i have an updated desktop , a laptop , 1 Sony Xperia smartphone , an ipad , a 12 MP Nikon Digital camera a new 4 GB Xbox 360 , 4 8GB USB flash disks and 2 iphones that belong to parents.

Am i rich enough to gain the permission to bitc.h around this thread ?????

No. You need at least 1 car, 1 mototcycle, a couple of iphones, an ipad that you can't find anymore, a couple of laptops, a custom build computer that you don't turn on anymore, and an a brand new xbox that you got from hp that you are trying to sell before you can ***** here.

• Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    No. You need at least 1 car, 1 mototcycle, a couple of iphones, an ipad that you can't find anymore, a couple of laptops, a custom build computer that you don't turn on anymore, and an a brand new xbox that you got from hp that you are trying to sell before you can ***** here.

i did forget to add my father's TT and BMW moto .... no license yet but as a true rich boy son i plan to farm my daddy's credit someday ......

wow i feel so ............................................ dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • bvauighofh3216
    bvauighofh3216 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    - Skill bar and weapon switching
    "What! Only ten skills?" Well, in fact, more than 10 skills, first impatient Skills into weapons skills, generic skills and elite skills, each occupational skills are completely unique, no the normal skills belong to more than one career.cheap *** gold store,10 skills in the first five skills by the types of weapons and weapons of your own career decisions Ranger equipped with a large sword and soldiers equipped with a large sword will have different skills,4,5 skills offhand weapon decided addition to thieves, Basically 10 skills each role skill bar will be placed, If you are equipped with hands and arms as Staff class or sword five skills are decided by the weapon; first three skills if you equip two one-handed weapons decided by the main hand weapon, guild wars 2 gold treatment skills, thieves technology called dual skills, by the deputies of the main weapons and the same impact, as detailed a description of the thieves.I understand, some people are already shouting: Sword and Swords of soldiers and equipment have skills.
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options

I am admittedly lazy when it comes to that. I look for a computer that generally meets most of my expectations, and then change out whatever parts I deem unsuitable (usually the graphics card) or add more RAM or a bigger hard drive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    Alasen - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,874 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Hm, no.
    You can't upgrade your PC every 10 years and expect to play new games..

Lol ya.... ok..... I built my pc in '98 or 2000 or something, I needed one that could handle FFXI lol. I"M STILL PLAYING the NEWEST GAMES on it. At MAX SETTINGS (try Crysis and Crysis 2 on max settings.... and no that wasnt' a exampke of newest games, just really intense resource hogging ones. You don't have a good PC you can't play those on max). If you dont' build a piece of s**t then you can certainly never replace a pc and still play the newest games only needing a upgrade here and there. Only things I've done since building this was add more RAM (2 gigs to 4), and went for a better Vid card when the original got fried. Hell I've still got a spare duplicate motherboard in the closet, and you can't even find those boards now. At least not for a reasonable price.

As for Sylen and whoever was saying this.... you all are pathetic. Not everyone has having the best gaming rig on the market on their minds. Especially in this economy. You could have a decent job and STILL be using every CENT you have trying to survive. So your little comments like "if you can't put aside 50 cents a day to upgrade every 5 years or so, then you need to be doing other things then playing a game" is pretty ****. How bout you live YOUR life and stop being so condescending to others like someone else said.

I haven't played this game since Janurary, not because I wanted to but I've got a back problem that actually keeps me from sitting in the position I do when I use my PC. As a result I've been playing my PS3 since then. But I haven't missed this..... I just got on here now to see what's going on in the game and all I see is the usual ******** and whining and the same elitist attitudes from the same people (and new ones) in alot of the threads. No wonder I dont' miss playing this....
This discussion has been closed.