thoughts on spawn point killing in TW

xblobxblob
xblobxblob Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
Hi,

just curious to see what people think of spawnpoint killing in TW. Not people that are just standing around waiting for seal to come off or base buffers, but insta killing as soon as someone spawns there, so they are not even given a chance of moving off the platform.
Now i know war is war, and you are able to use whatever means necessary to defeat your opponent, but this is really just poor sportsmanship isn't it? Interested to see what others think of this strategy.
Post edited by xblobxblob on

Comments

• Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    xblobxblob wrote: »
    Hi,

just curious to see what people think of spawnpoint killing in TW. Not people that are just standing around waiting for seal to come off or base buffers, but insta killing as soon as someone spawns there, so they are not even given a chance of moving off the platform.
    Now i know war is war, and you are able to use whatever means necessary to defeat your opponent, but this is really just poor sportsmanship isn't it? Interested to see what others think of this strategy.

Everyone does it, at least on HT, quite a few factions do it, especially when the TW ends.

Pretty sure it's not bannable, and if you can do it, chances are, you will give it a go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you can get spawnkilled to the extent where it seems very bad then you've already lost the TW.... at which point it doesn't matter anyways.
  • BerserkBeast - Sanctuary
    BerserkBeast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    truekossy wrote: »
    If you can get spawnkilled to the extent where it seems very bad then you've already lost the TW.... at which point it doesn't matter anyways.

*Approved*
    /thread
    The only way to beat a troll is....to troll him back b:angry
  • Loshon - Archosaur
    Loshon - Archosaur Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    it's not something I condone in my fac.. but, as you said, war is war. it's not something I personally do, just as soon as I see the "victory" or loss flash on my screen and it ends, I stop attacking. I've noticed most keep on.

doesn't seem like proper etiquette, but *shrugs* people will do as they please.
  • bearishidonteven
    bearishidonteven Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited July 2012
  • xblobxblob
    xblobxblob Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah im not even talking about after the fight is over, just during.
    And it appears, so far, that good sportsman type behavior doesn't factor into most peoples gaming, with the exception of a few good people.
  • Shawnward - Lost City
    Shawnward - Lost City Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i personally feel that spawn killing in a tw is fine. cause you gotta do what u can to win without actually cheating. so why give the enemy a chance to be able to get you outta there base when u can stop them. to me it makes no sense why you would not do it.
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If they didn't get busted for pulling similar (Stunts & Ambushes) like that in {DTR} instances "to prevent anyone else from getting to the 'DT~Chests'" then I doubt that they'll ever be held accountable for doing similar during {TWs}....b:bye

LOLZzzz!! Atleast back B4 the 'Hyper Babies' and 'Rhabid APS rates' Some of the players could Pull 'Mantavipes Kindrid' on the ambushers during {DTR}, while the scumbags were distracted in killing everyone just off the Spawn platform (and actually watch the PK Campers die aswell.).......b:chuckle

Oh! for the Good Ol'Days, of the (non) '10 second' Kill APS Rates..........b:surrender
  • raino
    raino Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This is exactly what I hate about your kinds of people. ''spawnkilling'' What does that ''easy vicotry'' give you? Other than fast victory. Game have to have a CHALLENGE. But there isn't any challenge in the game when you kill the opponent right when he spawns. Whole stupid TW loses its purpose. It cannot be called ''Territory Wars'' anymore. More like Territory Spawn Wars, and really think about it. Want to play an easy game? Or a game that has some challenge, dont become such a lazy man. My opinion said. And if any of you have a problem with my opinion, then please: Turn off your computer, calm down and then come back.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    raino wrote: »
    This is exactly what I hate about your kinds of people. ''spawnkilling'' What does that ''easy vicotry'' give you? Other than fast victory. Game have to have a CHALLENGE. But there isn't any challenge in the game when you kill the opponent right when he spawns. Whole stupid TW loses its purpose. It cannot be called ''Territory Wars'' anymore. More like Territory Spawn Wars, and really think about it. Want to play an easy game? Or a game that has some challenge, dont become such a lazy man. My opinion said. And if any of you have a problem with my opinion, then please: Turn off your computer, calm down and then come back.

People don't care anymore about TW for TW, all they want is lands for money, they don't care if it's wine, easy or w/e. They should ut back the mirages reward so people do it for the fun and not for the money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • truekossy
    edited July 2012
    raino wrote: »
    This is exactly what I hate about your kinds of people. ''spawnkilling'' What does that ''easy vicotry'' give you?.

You cannot reliably and consistently spawn kill an opponent in TW that ISN'T already screwed over. If you spawn kill before then it doesn't guarantee a win of any sort and it's a legitimate, if unpleasant, tactic. If you ARE able to spawn kill your opponents with the sort of degree where it's some huge problem where you can't res without getting murdered soon after at all then you've already lost the TW anyways so it doesn't matter and your opponents are just padding their kill counts.

I'm not going to say spawn killing is the greatest thing to do in TW or something, but it really isn't that big of a deal as long as your faction still has a chance.... and it doesn't matter at all when your faction does not have a chance.

It's like saying sniping cata clerics when they come out of base is some sort of horrible strategy that's so cruel and wrong. Not the biggest deal and won't happen that often if your faction has a chance.... or a constant plague that merely pushes the final nail in the coffin if your faction is already screwed.
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    TW has a lot bigger problems than this one.
  • Mekkhala - Lost City
    Mekkhala - Lost City Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My opinion is that it's extremely disrespectful to your opponent to purposely draw out a TW. If you can win, then go ahead and win. Don't sit around and tease your opponent by letting them come up to your catas to make it "more of a challenge". I've been on the receiving end of that and it's humiliating, not fun.

Spawn point killing is, and always has been, used in TW. Many factions don't do it to be aholes. They do it it's a no brainer to keep the enemy DDs in seal and away from your catas.

And lets be honest, guys. If nobody in your guild can make it out off the platform, then your chances of a long and challenging TW were nonexistent in the first place.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    truekossy basically said it. Spawnkilling is more or less locking in the opponent so that they cannot force them out of the base. It's unpleasant yes, and it definitely is poor sportsmanship if it's continued once the war ends, but think about it this way...

If you don't want to get spawnkilled, there's always the log out button at the bottom right corner of the screen. Logging out would kick you out of the TW instance, thus allowing you to revive without getting killed.

If your faction doesn't spawnkill when they manage to push their enemy back into their base, then chances are the opposing faction will have enough time to rebuff/regroup and try a push back that can kill several of your faction's attack and cata squad members. Not only that, but it's crucial to have control because of the long trek back to the enemy base should you die.

It only becomes wrong if the spawnkilling is done to elongate a TW. I find it acceptable if it's to give time for the cata squads to get into position.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If the devs wanted there to be no possibility to attack recently spawned players they would have made the spawn a safe zone.

The fact that it isn't a safe zone means you should have no expectation of safety.

As it is attacking the spawn is very dangerous because of the guard towers and it's often a suicide attack.

If you've already lost the TW you have many options to avoid being spawn killed as the timer counts down:
    1) Stay dead, you will be auto-resed as you are kicked out of the instance
    2) Use a teleport stone to leave the instance immediately
    3) Relog (will instantly remove you from the instance)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Mekkhala - Lost City
    Mekkhala - Lost City Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    People don't care anymore about TW for TW, all they want is lands for money, they don't care if it's wine, easy or w/e. They should ut back the mirages reward so people do it for the fun and not for the money.

Guilds that think being a competitive TW guild will make them rich are hopelessly deluded.
  • AshenSkies - Heavens Tear
    AshenSkies - Heavens Tear Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited July 2012

If that was all I wanted, I would have joined a faction with lands. I have the gear to do it but I didn't. Don't make stupid assumptions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Surreal_
    Thank you Silvychar for my siggy :)
  • ArenaSkies - Sanctuary
    ArenaSkies - Sanctuary Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm personally against spawnpoint killing. It's poor sportsmanship. Disagree with me all you want, that's the way I look at it.

I once played a game that whenever you spawned in a pvp instance, there would be a see-through wall barrier around the spawnpoint a few meters apart. The enemy cannot touch you or even get through that barrier. However, once you left that protected spot, you cannot simply walk back in. You'd have to die again, or TP whatever, in order to get back inside. You cannot attack from inside the shield either, but you can buff.

In essence, it's like a safe zone PWI has that you cannot return to once you leave.

I think PWI should implement this. It prevents bad sportsmanship.
    Dumbledore: Lily... after all this time?

Snape: Always.
  • TempleSlave - Lost City
    TempleSlave - Lost City Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    xblobxblob wrote: »

There is no real spawn point killing. Anyone close enough to attack the actual spawn point will trigger the insta-death tower. Archers zhenning the catapults is what happens. TW has been like this since before PWI even existed.

The reason for this happening is because your TW guild sucks.
    I love puppies.... and sharp objects. b:pleased
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's pretty much poor sportsmanship. But seeing where players have gone just for their own advantage, there's no use in arguing.

It shouldn't even be possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • MissingNo - Lost City
    MissingNo - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    another thing, if you die during tw there is certain amount of time to which you cant use skills after respawning which makes you vulnerable to getting spawn killed
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My opinion is that it's extremely disrespectful to your opponent to purposely draw out a TW.

People don't care about respect, all they want it's a new land to get money.

If people wanted respectful TW they will not gank 3 big factions on 1 half dead faction and be happy about it, like it is on my server. Now when people bids, they don't think ''who i should bid this week for a fun TW'' they think ''Who is the weakest faction i can bid, oh let's bid on
    they wont show they already have 2 bids on them and they can't beat us and we will have a free land without waste charm''. Its how people think now.

People bids on factions that have no chance to win, so do you think people care about respect to don't kill at spawn point?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Is TWing still consider a "money maker"?

Anyone that is in the top faction of your server, what's your TW pay?

I assume that its not that great...these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • truekossy
    edited July 2012
    Is TWing still consider a "money maker"?.

It always has been and always will be considered a money maker to those who don't realize just how expensive TW is and how little you get back in comparison. And with the map reset every 6 months thing, nobody's going to get enough lands to start profiting from it.

tbh, the only ones who will profit from TW are the low tiered factions ignored by the bigger ones on the server. And that's only because they wouldn't have to deal with the costs of TW.
  • Steopie - Heavens Tear
    Steopie - Heavens Tear Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I am for spawn killing.

If a player has or a guild has collectively put enough time / effort / money into the game to be THAT far superior to their opponent, their opponent deserves to feel it.

The spawn killed party can always leave the instance or not bid / enter the instance in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LividLemur - Dreamweaver
    LividLemur - Dreamweaver Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's lame and reflects poor sportsmanship. The top factions seem to avoid it as they can afford to consider their image. The 2nd tier factions that will never be top factions seem to do it more since they have napolean complexes, or just have small genitalia

then again it's usually just 1-3 people who spawn kill even among the facs that do do it (or just allow it as a matter of course) unless its a black-hat faction.

When doing TW on an alt sometimes you see what some of these 2nd tier factions are really like when they actually have the upper hand on rare occasion xD
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    truekossy wrote: »

Sure.

At that point, when you've won the TW, why not be a ****?

\among other reasons, **** like ^this is why I happily quit TW
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • ZoracGallant - Raging Tide
    ZoracGallant - Raging Tide Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    truekossy basically said it. Spawnkilling is more or less locking in the opponent so that they cannot force them out of the base. It's unpleasant yes, and it definitely is poor sportsmanship if it's continued once the war ends, but think about it this way...

If you don't want to get spawnkilled, there's always the log out button at the bottom right corner of the screen. Logging out would kick you out of the TW instance, thus allowing you to revive without getting killed.

If your faction doesn't spawnkill when they manage to push their enemy back into their base, then chances are the opposing faction will have enough time to rebuff/regroup and try a push back that can kill several of your faction's attack and cata squad members. Not only that, but it's crucial to have control because of the long trek back to the enemy base should you die.

It only becomes wrong if the spawnkilling is done to elongate a TW. I find it acceptable if it's to give time for the cata squads to get into position.

This

For the most part if you are stupid enough to stand around at the spawn point while waiting for the seal to come off then you kind of deserve to be killed by someone. Move around, it's only when you bunch together that spawn point killing becomes easy.

Also as Skai said if you pull your cata off the crystal at 100k and then just let things go on longer to kill farm that I think is without a doubt wrong.

I personally think any spawn point killing is poor sportsmanship, but as others have said there are much bigger problems than this in TW and the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Want to solve alot of my problems? On your computer Click - Start - now click - Run - now type - cmd - now type - format c: - If you are using Windows Vista or 7 please be sure you run as administrator.
  • Xxxpicklexxx - Heavens Tear
    Xxxpicklexxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I am for spawn killing.

If a player has or a guild has collectively put enough time / effort / money into the game to be THAT far superior to their opponent, their opponent deserves to feel it.

The spawn killed party can always leave the instance or not bid / enter the instance in the first place.

Hahahah thats such a typical ex-Enrage/ROC response. I love it how fairness and good sportsmanship never enters into their way of thinking. Somethings will never change.
  • karmielkid
    karmielkid Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This all sounds like allot of QQing.

Do not like being spawned killed?

Get better gear or get a better faction or work towards making a better faction.

b:cry