Streamlining the early-game experience

Options
123457»

Comments

• Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    FC, BH and hypers should just be removed. Problem solved.

Edit: Not happening though, problem stays.
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GumyBear - Raging Tide
    GumyBear - Raging Tide Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Oh you've got to be kidding me, right?

You've ALREADY steamlined your game----it's called Frostcovered City, Steven.

You know, that thing where high level APS characters go and solo the entire instance to sell it to lower level players, so they can hurry to 101, charge money for Rank 9, and finish the game in a three month period?

That one.

Low level grinding, quests, ect. AREN'T killing your game. You know what is? Check the signature for a clue.

I'm skeptical about you taking in our opinions, furthermore...sort of like how you've taken in our opinions of APS, Assassins, Frostcovered City, and Ranked gear, among several hundred other things.

You want to attract new players? Quit bsing your playerbase. Try adjusting things we get from PW-CN to OUR gaming culture. (Like the stupidly high prices for items in the Guild Bases...seriously, what were you thinking?) Make low levels work together on certain quests.

We LIKE working together. We DON'T like looking for a squad for six hours.

^ This!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yannoa - Dreamweaver
    Yannoa - Dreamweaver Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Oh you've got to be kidding me, right?

You've ALREADY steamlined your game----it's called Frostcovered City, Steven.

You know, that thing where high level APS characters go and solo the entire instance to sell it to lower level players, so they can hurry to 101, charge money for Rank 9, and finish the game in a three month period?

That one.

Low level grinding, quests, ect. AREN'T killing your game. You know what is? Check the signature for a clue.

I'm skeptical about you taking in our opinions, furthermore...sort of like how you've taken in our opinions of APS, Assassins, Frostcovered City, and Ranked gear, among several hundred other things.

You want to attract new players? Quit bsing your playerbase. Try adjusting things we get from PW-CN to OUR gaming culture. (Like the stupidly high prices for items in the Guild Bases...seriously, what were you thinking?) Make low levels work together on certain quests.

We LIKE working together. We DON'T like looking for a squad for six hours.
    Nailed it. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mendolin - Sanctuary
    Mendolin - Sanctuary Posts: 1,092 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    i honestly think there is nothing wrong with the content... i did the content over 3 years ago and that isn't it. i recently made an archer and decided to level it by doing all the quests like I did on Mendolin because I made wizard with fcc.

the problems with 1-100 is that.... there is no one else around. all the quest areas are completely empty.
    it makes the game VERY boring. you play an mmorpg to quest, team up with others, and interact with different people. venos were the class for people who wanted to be alone but all the other classes are fun to play with others. it is how you make friends in the game. but... you can't do that anymore. you just pm someone and they tell you to fcc to 100 blah blah blah.

you are missing people not content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • taratulip
    taratulip Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I agree with Mendolin to an extent but, it goes much deeper than that.

I find it extremely easy to reach level 30, 40, 50+ NOW....

but as a newbie.. I didn't know how to PM a person. Something as easy as right-clicking on a person's name didn't occur to me.

I didn't know how to find new quests...

didn't know how to speak in world chat.

didn't know how to auto track. or how to click on the map to make it larger....

didn't know how to follow my party members' dots...

didn't know what WINES were or what they were for.. or even how to get them.

did NOT know they made all the monsters go away "yay!"

what is missing is help. not content or people.

Didn't know what an FB was or that I needed help. didn't know what a "tab" was.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    taratulip wrote: »
    I agree with Mendolin to an extent but, it goes much deeper than that.

I find it extremely easy to reach level 30, 40, 50+ NOW....

but as a newbie.. I didn't know how to PM a person. Something as easy as right-clicking on a person's name didn't occur to me.

I didn't know how to find new quests...

didn't know how to speak in world chat.

didn't know how to auto track. or how to click on the map to make it larger....

didn't know how to follow my party members' dots...

didn't know what WINES were or what they were for.. or even how to get them.

did NOT know they made all the monsters go away "yay!"

what is missing is help. not content or people.

Didn't know what an FB was or that I needed help. didn't know what a "tab" was.

Half of your list is covered in those help tips that automatically pop up when you make a new character. If you didn't read those and skipped them, that's more on you. That said several of your other concerns are true and would be helpful. Perhaps something telling you about the forums since so many people don't even realize they exist or something.
  • Sel_Darkmore - Dreamweaver
    Sel_Darkmore - Dreamweaver Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Hm alot of good ideals truly some pages i skip do to the tiring eyes but nevertheless some good ideals.

My post will be ..the best time i enjoyed since my low level 1-60 days back few years ago was, was the start of Decent ..Traveling thru Morai doing the Yellow Quest that was rewarding with nice amount of XP and saw ALOT of high levels doing quest offering help,asking for help, offering to squad up, pking each other lol arguing about Ksing. All the area was Highly populated of ..."Action" ..

NOW A DAYS..go to a low level area specially starting points and its Down right DEAD. Few ppl you see there. If u want to really look for low level recruits most go to the mines or Broken Buff. Why? Cause most players that are new or alts..tend to give up questing or debating to continue RIGHT THERE. Due to the back and forth die and respawn all the way back at Arch, head back on foot patrol to the mines etc.

Now adays ppl clown about whos race city seems the most abandoned or lack of live stock but the npc puppys and chickens and kittens. Before when looking for new players or possible recruits we would go to starter cities and speak in common chat etc..now we just sit in arch and see who still using NPC and quest gear with unidentified properties lol. Hell if it wasnt for the duelings in Lost it be just as dead as the rest. Tide got ppls due to the Nirvy being close and such..and ofc the Tide Quest that soon to give u a nice HP Charm. with good coins and XP.

Yes the great amount of back and forth could be eliminated to make it less frustrating specially on Foot patrol as a Human ..(vowed would never do foot patrol again). ..And really look at it..few years back ..every town had players there ..now IF you DO SEE someone at a SMALL TOWN ..its their World Quest Route. Hell i like the ideal of even High levels having quest in those small towns other then WQ ..with ofc a good amount of XP given ..cause like someone said few pages back..Shiny (Candy Eye) was the Awww of low levels looking at high levels with glowing Armour or pulsating Aqua dash and sparkling fly mounts and wings.
    To think your OP is Fail, To know your role is OP
    Team work is Flawless,
    To think your better then the rest is shabby.

Blademaster - Celestial Demon
  • SiriCouture - Dreamweaver
    SiriCouture - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    When I made a mystic alt I was saying this over and over and over
    "I hate tellus omg I hate tellus I hate tellus I HATE TELLUS!!"
    You have no idea how the running was so boring. I didn't know any shortcuts so I ran through the tunnels and went afk usually. I REALLY hated when I would level from turning in a quest at the Tellus elder and a new quest would pop up thats WAAAAAAY back at start noob town.....get that quest - oh wait! gotta go back to tellus~ -facedesk-facedesk-facedesk- It's too big D:
    And it kinda got worse when you hit around level 15. For the quests just LOVED to put us killing mobs on one side of the forest....then on a different quest killing mobs all the waaaaaay on the other side. >w< And of course culti would pop up and its a little frustrating thinking of all the running for tellus then forest and tellus.....God I hate Tellus x.x

What also annoyed me was there's no "Put Pet away" option. For those that don't play mystics, on the normal all class pets you just click on its picture for him to come out and click it again for him to go away right? If you click the picture on mystics....you just call another pet. He Doesn't Go Away. It took me like 5 levels to realize that if I put the pet on "Halt" and run away it goes away.

I know this is listed but on the Elves 1-19 line the "go kill this mob" "go kill that mob" "go kill that mob!" can we just put all three on one quest? That would be LOVELY.

On the Untamed 1-19 line I really hated the distance between towns. I mean I would just gap on the map the FIRST time you have to go to the town.... I know you can't change the map but at least like provide the teleport from the Lost Elder or something. I remember trying to hitchike(?) rides from barbs because I knew they ran faster >w> <w<

On the Tideborn 1-19 line, I really hated the jumping quest. I would stand by the boat and go afk and come back every now and then to see if someone knew how to do it. It would be a whole lot easier if there was a lot lot lot of people there trying it out but usually its just dead empty. The Untamed was fun to figure out, so was the elves but not the tideborn.

My very first toon the hardest part was trying to find help on FB19. Usually we do quests on our own...only squad when we need help...don't add for we don't know how and then the fb comes. And one shoots us. We didn't know how to world chat, to afraid to ask for help from the afk higher levels....and be confused for we can't get the new skills. I know it's more on our fault and not yours but maybe some item only from the elder that allows low levels to afk for help on fb 19 would be a good idea. Tideborn and Earthguards don't really need it but The original classes sure as hell do.
  • evil013
    evil013 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    LIMIT FC ENTRY 75+ = PROBLEM SOLVED
    FB19 is NOT FUN having to watch a high lvl kill everything for ub:angry make it so that 1-3 lvl20's can join together to kill it.It's their first squad instance and many leave after, thinking all r like this
    Ppl play MMo's to play with other ppl/make friends/have fun! No ppl = no friends = no fun!
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    @evil013 : While your horrible font and color choice is just horrible , you got a point there. LVL requirement on FF is simple , easier to do , and solves so many problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Voodoo_Lover - Sanctuary
    Voodoo_Lover - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Cultivation quests for lvl 19 to 30 are a more flying then killing fly out kill 10 mobs fly back 10 more mobs fly back why not just give us all the mobs in 1 quest. As for getting passed lvl 30 all u have to do is get a set of 5 hypers and go to FCC.
  • ShadowIH - Raging Tide
    ShadowIH - Raging Tide Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Cultivation quests for lvl 19 to 30 are a more flying then killing fly out kill 10 mobs fly back 10 more mobs fly back why not just give us all the mobs in 1 quest. As for getting passed lvl 30 all u have to do is get a set of 5 hypers and go to FCC.

Some players never been in FC and not need it.

Edit: real level of this Cleric 74. Also many squads now are fail without highlevels, because they are made from powerlevelers.
  • Kalish - Lost City
    Kalish - Lost City Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options

Most new players have no mount and no wings until the free set at 30. The whole point of the thread is NEW players, not alts.
  • DreamDrops - Dreamweaver
    DreamDrops - Dreamweaver Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    If you MUST have timed weapons, gears & flyers from the chest - could you PLEASE make the timer, stop when logged off as it does for CS, School Teacher, Lucids etc. then resume again next log in.

Not all new players can know in advance that the temp wings/weapon/gears may be needed/or greater help, a few lvl's later to complete quests. Having met several new players, that are sporting a npc weapon due to the nice shiny vanishing on a later log in, due to limited play time (weekend players, etc) or net problems.
    There are NO Adults in this World,

Just old Children, with Wrinkles b:chuckle
  • evil013
    evil013 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    @evil013 : While your horrible font and color choice is just horrible , you got a point there. LVL requirement on FF is simple , easier to do , and solves so many problems.

I liked my colour and Fontb:chuckle just kiddingb:laughIt was to draw attention to the basic factFC power leveling has killed all quest areas.Banning FC power lvling will see an increase in Vortex lvling though -so prob will still exist. try yellow now LOLPWI ask yourself why u allow ppl to power lvl to 100+ = to buy rank/gear and CSPWI getting greedy = game ruined = people leaveb:surrender
  • Lynzeya - Dreamweaver
    Lynzeya - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    *cough* allow EG/TB eyes/hair on our chars? b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vixter - harshlands:
    hey, i got a good idea, lets complain about gas prices, since thats also something we have no control over!

<3 proud to be autistic! /watch?v=Q7lJ8ioD2-g Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
  • ponyduck
    ponyduck Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    It seems the most frequently mentioned changes are:

1) Get rid of tedious back-and-forth to npc's in quests. Ppl mentioned how the number
    of mobs in culti went from 15 down to 5--I actually think this increased the tedium
    factor. When you spend more time traveling than u do killing mobs --->BORING!

2) Get rid of Frost power-lvl'ing. Simply make it so only 75+ can get in.

I also say go back to only 1 bh a day. Then offer more general world quests with
    good exp payoff. Maybe put a lot more world bosses around, respawning much more
    frequently & very randomly. This might get a lot of the higher-lvl players out in the
    world, make it more populated. While they're waiting/hoping for the boss to spawn, they
    might end up helping lowbies in their quests just to pass the time. Plus all sorts of
    pk wars might develop during these times.

I remember when I was just starting, it was exciting to see a decked-out high level
    come into Plume. omg I thought they were like gods! So some way to bring the
    high levels into the starter areas would be nice, esp if a lot of them all ended up in
    a good pvp fest. Would exhibit the high-level skill effects, etc. to the lowbies. I used
    to get such a thrill when I would see the effects of some high-level skill for the first
    time. Made me SOOO want to get it.

Basically, I think you'll have to make a lot of profound changes (e.g., suck it up & quit
    selling certain things in the boutique--aim toward long-term, steady returns instead of
    quick, flash-in-the-pan profits). Then market the game as majorly revamped &
    balanced, like it's a new game.

Someone once said that the old-time players had an emotional investment in their
    chars which is lacking due to fast leveling. And I think this is so true. When you
    worked ur butt off for every level u gained (and knew everyone else was too<--this is key),
    then you formed some kind of bond with ur char which kept drawing u back to
    improve it.
  • jenn2a
    jenn2a Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I`m sorry for eventual bad grammar.
    I think you guys of PWI need to give greater rewards for the quests.
    Mess with FCC or BH is useless, because who dont like the quests will continue don`t like the quests. You need give reasons for the people make the quests, such as more xp and coins (I already saw others games make it with success). I don`t make quests myself, because I know their rewards are insignificantb:sad.
    On true, I am taking a break of the game, `cause I dont want to buy hypers and the quests are not rewarding, in my opinionb:bye

Thnx
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Did I mention more shinies yet? More shinies.

Change BH 3 rewards for BH79/89 and below to something similar to BH1 rewards for level 100 but more scaled to match the difficulty/level range. Often BH3 forces people to stick around for the whole dungeon, which is why it would make more sense there. It would also get people into stacking and the ones who weren't would be more likely to stick around the whole run. People weren't doing it would be more likely to do it in the first place.

Revamp the DQ quest to make it more worthwhile. Add more gear similar to the bracers of blood moon. This would put more people on the world map.

edit: Do the same to the low level justice quests.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    One idea I got from Star Trek Online.

Maybe to encourage high levels you play with lower levels is squad level matching option. This would allow friends to play together without everyone having to make a new alt to do so.

For example, a low level could start a squad. Upon receiving the invite, the higher level players could select an option to "match player's difficulty" or some such. To make sure this doesn't affect pvp in some way, I would suggest make it where when matching the squad leader's level, that only warding and slaying levels would be changed.

Now, this would require -warding/slaying levels to be implemented but I think it would help. Maybe for every level higher you are than the squad leader, you lose 2 warding/slaying levels.

for example, if a level 100 joined with a level 20, he would receive -160 warding/slaying levels (this can be tweaked to whatever of course) effectively making him take 160% damage and dealing 160% less damage. In the end the high level is going to still hit harder and live easier than the low level but it would be more challenging (and therefore fun hopefully) to play with the low level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear
    KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    One idea I got from Star Trek Online.

Maybe to encourage high levels you play with lower levels is squad level matching option. This would allow friends to play together without everyone having to make a new alt to do so.

For example, a low level could start a squad. Upon receiving the invite, the higher level players could select an option to "match player's difficulty" or some such. To make sure this doesn't affect pvp in some way, I would suggest make it where when matching the squad leader's level, that only warding and slaying levels would be changed.

Now, this would require -warding/slaying levels to be implemented but I think it would help. Maybe for every level higher you are than the squad leader, you lose 2 warding/slaying levels.

for example, if a level 100 joined with a level 20, he would receive -160 warding/slaying levels (this can be tweaked to whatever of course) effectively making him take 160% damage and dealing 160% less damage. In the end the high level is going to still hit harder and live easier than the low level but it would be more challenging (and therefore fun hopefully) to play with the low level.

This oddly reminds me of this...
    [SIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2r61kw3.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

The rare and exotic Sage Archer of HT. b:cute
  • /ork - Harshlands58
    /ork - Harshlands58 Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    it's also no surprise this thread died ROFLMFAO

I told you, they don't give a ****!
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    it's also no surprise this thread died ROFLMFAO

I told you, they don't give a ****!

Last post prior to yours is only a few days old. This thread isn't dead. Thanks for the bump though. It reminds me....

Allow people to help each other create custom characters. Some people totally space on ideas and new players don't know the extent of character customization. It would be nice if they could find official help on the forums....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • CroPsy - Heavens Tear
    CroPsy - Heavens Tear Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    We're looking to streamline the early game experience (levels 1-30), and we'd like your input regarding your own experience as you made your way though this level bracket.

I'd say that game experience up to lvl 30 is streamlined enough. I started playing Seeker few weeks ago, and got to level 30 in 2 days. We need some things changed in upper levels, 30-90.
    Why do I need to kill 60 mobs, just to get some crappy EXP reward and with some luck, some gear that I NPC. Sometimes quest requires 60 items, and like, every 3rd or 4th mob drop that item. So instead 60 mobs to kill, it goes to 100+ mobs to kill. Takes ages, and reward for that is small amount of EXP and some coins.
  • /ork - Harshlands58
    /ork - Harshlands58 Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Last post prior to yours is only a few days old. This thread isn't dead. Thanks for the bump though. It reminds me....

Allow people to help each other create custom characters. Some people totally space on ideas and new players don't know the extent of character customization. It would be nice if they could find official help on the forums....

anytime :)