FC Glitch Update

Options
frankieraye
frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
Hey all,

As you many of you know, there was a major glitch last year that allowed players to level up much more quickly than was normally possible. It involved performing certain abilities on one of the Frostcovered City bosses, which caused it to spawn hundreds of minibosses instead of just two, which was the normal amount spawned.

Although it was immediately deemed a bannable offense, as it violated term 11(k) of our Terms of Service, many players continued to exploit this glitch throughout the four months that it existed on our servers.

Today, the very worst offenders of this glitch exploitation have been given a temporary ban on their characters. They have also been removed from the PWI Rankings Page. While the case has been made that more people should have been banned, and permanently, for their transgressions, the fact is that we at PWE must take some of the blame for the glitch existing for as long as it did (4 months). For this reason we will not be banning anyone permanently for taking part in the exploitation.

We apologize for the glitch lasting as long as it did, and for the amount of time it took to take action against those who took advantage of it. The state of PWI is very important to us, and we thank you for your patience and support as we do what we can to keep the game running as smoothly as possible.

-The PWI Team

[Update 4-18-2012]

Upon receiving tickets from many of the banned accounts and investigating further, our GM's have decided that our tracking methods for recognizing the "worst offenders" were likely inaccurate. Whether these banned folks truly glitched more than anybody else is a statement that we do not feel comfortable supporting any longer, so we've decided to err on the side of caution and release all of these characters from their temp bans.

The truth of the matter is that our tracking tools for recognizing glitchers have been limited from the start, and this problem, compounded with the fact that it took four months to modify the FC boss, meant that we could not effectively enforce the rule in this situation.

To the players who refused to exploit the glitch, we're sorry that we cannot deliver the justice that you were waiting for, but we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again.
Post edited by frankieraye on

Comments

• krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Does this mean that the QQ will stop?

I kid, i kid.
  • _UnGodly_ - Lost City
    _UnGodly_ - Lost City Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    7 days for 105? BRING IT BACK! I will play this game again just to glitch to 105 and get banned for 7 days...b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Savor - Lost City
    Savor - Lost City Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Yet some classes that it is physically impossible to get to 105 legitimately are not banned? b:bye
    My main was Susamajii The Lost City Barbarian.
  • Leviathian - Dreamweaver
    Leviathian - Dreamweaver Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    i still want a new way to get to 105... xD give us something
  • KagamineRin_ - Sanctuary
    KagamineRin_ - Sanctuary Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Good job. Now where is the action for the Nirv Caster Glitchers? Still waiting for an update.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1327771
  • FrostGlitch - Lost City
    FrostGlitch - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I'm not banned. b:cute
  • DemansPsy - Lost City
    DemansPsy - Lost City Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Hey all,

As you many of you know, there was a major glitch last year that allowed players to level up much more quickly than was normally possible. It involved performing certain abilities on one of the Frostcovered City bosses, which caused it to spawn hundreds of minibosses instead of just four, which was the normal amount spawned.

Although it was immediately deemed a bannable offense, as it violated term 11(k) of our Terms of Service, many players continued to exploit this glitch throughout the four months that it existed on our servers.

Today, the very worst offenders of this glitch exploitation have been given a temporary ban on their characters. They have also been removed from the PWI Rankings Page. While the case has been made that more people should have been banned, and permanently, for their transgressions, the fact is that we at PWE must take some of the blame for the glitch existing for as long as it did (4 months). For this reason we will not be banning anyone permanently for taking part in the exploitation.

We apologize for the glitch lasting as long as it did, and for the amount of time it took to take action against those who took advantage of it. The state of PWI is very important to us, and we thank you for your patience and support as we do what we can to keep the game running as smoothly as possible.

-The PWI Team

First of all the boss spawns 2 minibosses not 4, second glitch has been around for a few years not 4 months /facepalm
    full 3r9 +11/12 (still using immac shards though) w/o CSing, leveled to 105 spaming pv, yes i have no life =D
  • davebold
    davebold Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    they need some form of income
  • bearishidonteven
    bearishidonteven Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    legit punishment man, all yall people heard? 7 days ban yo, better recognize i dont even..... b:dirty
  • blueyedviixen
    blueyedviixen Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    May I asked how you deemed certain players as "worst offenders"?
  • Flare - Heavens Tear
    Flare - Heavens Tear Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    7 days...that doesn't seem much for 105... I had to solo PV x2 a day for about 3 months to get from 102 to 103...Nonaps here
    100% Free to Play: +12 G16 axes, +12 G16 Fists,full +10ed armor
    You registered on: 2008-08-26 18:12:33
    Two Words: Old School
    Barbmaster: Literally - 23.6k hp BM, 19.8k hp BM, 33.3k hp Barb
    Shiniest BM/Barb aroundb:cute
    I check the PWI homepage for fail new updates/greed salesb:laugh
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Are we talking about (Full account bans) or things like the one player told me a couple a weeks ago happened to him, in which only his JFC'd character on his account was givein a (temp Ban), while he could still play his other characters freely, while his JFC'd 1 was still unplayable?????b:question

Or is it a mixture, of penalties; dependent on the (severity & numbers of times & Character's) in which they did it with, that will make it a more intensive in penalty system???????b:puzzled
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    [...] which caused it to spawn hundreds of minibosses instead of just four, which was the normal amount spawned.

Pretty embarassing. Styren spawns 2 dragoons normally, not 4.

And I agree. If I had known the punishment is a week of ban for saving months of spamming FCC and having a level 105 char, I'd have done it. What a, terribly late even, joke.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • ASS_ASS__IN - Lost City
    ASS_ASS__IN - Lost City Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I would like a prove of "Worst Offenders"
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options

And I agree. If I had known the punishment is a week of ban for saving months of spamming FCC and having a level 105 char, I'd have done it. What a, terribly late even, joke.

Well, I learned my lesson.

If a glitch like this ever comes up again, I will be 105 before you can say "Cheater!".

I will also then enjoy posting with my shiny 105 avatar. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    This shouldn't have taken as long as it did. Not the glitch being poorly taken care of, not the (lack of) communication and response, not the banning of the worse (and all) offenders. This should have been dealt far more professionally not only to serve as an example for the community but for the community to regain its trust in the company.

At this point, no action would have been better than temporarily banning people who have exploited a glitch despite the TOS stating that doing so is a bannable offense that may result in an account termination.

Is it the company's fault for not taking care of it sooner, or better yet, more efficiently? Yes. Should the people who exploited the glitch suffer a lighter punishment for it? No.

The truth is the community has been punished as a whole. Instead of properly fixing the glitch in a timely manner, the goonz exp was nerfed, and is still nerfed because the glitch has yet to be fixed at all.

Personally, I still have no idea how to glitch the goon boss and there are many others who have no idea. Truthfully, from what I've gathered, many won't be able to glitch it successfully without having their characters die repeatedly.

So banning the people that glitched it temporarily is an insult to the whole community.

Instead, fix the glitch. Bring the instance back to normality, and make the people that didn't abide to the ToS feel it where it really hurts. Otherwise, they'll be back in a matter of a few days boasting that they've glitched without any consequences, and guess what, they'll still be 105 (or any other level they've reached to using the glitch).

I'm throughly disappointed.
  • RageKill - Lost City
    RageKill - Lost City Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You either need to bring back the glitch and let everyone have a free for all or do something more about what people did, and how hard they abused it. one week just wont do anything. These people exploited the game to achieve a level that shouldn't have been so easily achieved. They gain damage reduction from many of PW's other players as well as sins being forever invisible and no one has a chance to see them. Ever......

I hardly think this was enough. But at least it was something -_- to be honest i think no action would have been better than this action. Just goes to show you can exploit glitches to have a huge edge, and only get a little slap on the wrist.
  • seitori
    edited April 2012
    Options
    b:faint__And now for another odd question.......b:chuckle

Are we also talking about banning the (High Lv's) who headed the run, for the (Power Levelers) or just the (JFCr's) themselves?????????

Enquiring minds need to know..........
    b:pleasedb:chuckle
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    First of all the boss spawns 2 minibosses not 4, second glitch has been around for a few years not 4 months /facepalm

My mistake; it's two, and it's fixed now.

June 2011 was when we first became aware of the glitch. It's tough to say exactly when the glitch became possible, or if there was ever a time when it wasn't.
  • RageKill - Lost City
    RageKill - Lost City Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Well, I learned my lesson.

If a glitch like this ever comes up again, I will be 105 before you can say "Cheater!".

I will also then enjoy posting with my shiny 105 avatar. b:cute

^^this.
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options

-The PWI Team

Based off this, you guys sound like the banning process is done. Is this banning over the course of the next few days or what? From what I see on the rankings, you missed tons of exploiters.

Edit: Also , what about the mobs towards the back of FC that weren't even a part of the glitch? Will they be restored? That "punishes" everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear
    Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    It's official! This game is run by complete idiots.

I won't deny that seeing friends and acquaintances getting perma banned would suck majorly, but cheating should never be tolerated in online games. Slapping people on the wrist for abusing a glitch that did actually give them an advantage is stupid. I've seen people get banned for a lot longer for doing a lot less. I sort of expected this outcome but was hoping they would surprise me and use the ban hammer instead of the feather.

Oh well! I already pre-purchased two of the games that shall not be named here and May 15th can't get here soon enough. b:cute
  • Flare - Heavens Tear
    Flare - Heavens Tear Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Based of this, you guys sound like the banning process is done. Is this banning over the course of the next few days or what? From what I see on the rankings, you missed tons of exploiters.

True, I was surprised to what I saw for the Heaven's Tear rankings. Some of which even WCed their ways all over the server during the time of the glitch.b:surrender
    100% Free to Play: +12 G16 axes, +12 G16 Fists,full +10ed armor
    You registered on: 2008-08-26 18:12:33
    Two Words: Old School
    Barbmaster: Literally - 23.6k hp BM, 19.8k hp BM, 33.3k hp Barb
    Shiniest BM/Barb aroundb:cute
    I check the PWI homepage for fail new updates/greed salesb:laugh
  • seitori
    edited April 2012
    Options
    This shouldn't have taken as long as it did. Not the glitch being poorly taken care of, not the (lack of) communication and response, not the banning of the worse (and all) offenders. This should have been dealt far more professionally not only to serve as an example for the community but for the community to regain its trust in the company.

At this point, no action would have been better than temporarily banning people who have exploited a glitch despite the TOS stating that doing so is a bannable offense that may result in an account termination.

Is it the company's fault for not taking care of it sooner, or better yet, more efficiently? Yes. Should the people who exploited the glitch suffer a lighter punishment for it? No.

The truth is the community has been punished as a whole. Instead of properly fixing the glitch in a timely manner, the goonz exp was nerfed, and is still nerfed because the glitch has yet to be fixed at all.

Personally, I still have no idea how to glitch the goon boss and there are many others who have no idea. Truthfully, from what I've gathered, many won't be able to glitch it successfully without having their characters die repeatedly.

So banning the people that glitched it temporarily is an insult to the whole community.

Instead, fix the glitch. Bring the instance back to normality, and make the people that didn't abide to the ToS feel it where it really hurts. Otherwise, they'll be back in a matter of a few days boasting that they've glitched without any consequences, and guess what, they'll still be 105 (or any other level they've reached to using the glitch).

How True.....b:thanks

You could always drop their (Levels) massively aswell, frankie; you could calculate the needed numbers of (levels) by how quickly they jumped an amount of levels, in an extremely short time...... And then just dump their levels Back Down, too where they were B4 they made their Mad dash into the Higher levels.......

It would be one way to make it a both a (fair punishment) and a (fairer playing field) too those of us who didn't do it......b:victory
  • FrostGlitch - Lost City
    FrostGlitch - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    So basically the next time a glitch like this comes out and you can't fix it what you are saying to the entire community is. We will only ban SOME of the abusers and only for a short amount of time. What then is there to stop everyone from abusing it? Having a life without PWI for just one week? Sounds good to me.

PS I'm not banned. Best. Name. Ever.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Wow, I did not expect to hear that from you, Shelly o_o

But yea, I fully agree. If they wanted to ban anyone, they should have fixed the glitch right when it became it public and banned. Banning now just reminds me of some pet owner coming home and punishing his cat for puking into the carpet 5 hours later. Is the cat gonna understand? Nope.
    We just learnt it's bascially okay to abuse any glitch you want to, you'll just get a minor slap on the wrist.

Even worse, it's ****ed up for anyone else now. There are people who are and will stay 105 while the rest of the population canot use this glitch. Not to mention noone does full FCCs anymore because this 'fix' ****ed up the second half of FCC for honest levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • jimbillybob46310
    jimbillybob46310 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Im just curious what the basis for "worst offenders" is?
    I find it funny that some people that lvled from 103 to 105 got banned yet some that lvled from 100 to 105 didnt? Hell how about those that glitched new chars from lvl 1 to 100 or more? Just FYI i see many GLITCHED chars still running around, and some did glitch 100+ lvls. LMAO............IJS
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    seitori wrote: »
    How True.....b:thanks

You could always drop their (Levels) massively aswell, frankie; you could calculate the needed numbers of (levels) by how quickly they jumped an amount of levels, in an extremely short time...... And then just dump there levels Back Down, too where they were B4 they made their Mad dash into the Higher levels.......

It would be one way to make it a both a (fair punishment) and a (fairer playing field) too those of us who didn't do it......b:victory

How is that fair when anyone else could've legitimately made it to at least 103 in the months since the glitch?
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hmm, I couldn't say it better myself. Though, if I state my personal opinion on this matter, people will hoard me like a virus because I created the thread that probably is the entire reason this thread exists to date.

Fortunately for PWE, I'll be playing another game quite soon. The pre-purchase has already been set, and I've got my copy purchased. So at this point, it's okay if PWE bans my accounts for speaking out on severe issues with their company.

Where has the staff of PWE gone, anyways? I see one every week on the forums. No one responds to tickets, in-game inquires, etc. No wonder private servers are pulling over 1k+ of PWI's old players nowadays, lol.
  • Keyven - Lost City
    Keyven - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I just want to know why you banned people at all after stating before it was fixed about 2months before it was fixed. That no one would get banned for it and it was PWE's fault, concidering by that point it was used by probably 90% of every server.

I also remember FrankieRaye making the post, think it was in response to Spliffany on one of the threads. Haven't found it today but someone probably has a screenshot. Alot of people on LostCity server also remember it being stated.

Shame it was very late on the fix, late on the ban, and quite bad to contridict your own policies. Though in the situation I guess you had no choice. At least we can move on from this now.

Please though make some new exp instances or something so seekers and mystics can get to 105, see 105 sins and make pwi more balanced and more fun again. Two full r9 105 sins changing the entire tied of TW is becoming quite annoying.

Ops off topic. thankyou for the fix at last
This discussion has been closed.