Festival Riddle Lanterns

Options
2»

Comments

• FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options

i've seen this event here before, and it isnt really anything to get excited over....

this is *supposed* to be an event-Chinese based, obviously-where a boss pops up in that crossroads, and a fireworks seller as well. you cant kill the boss with normal attacks, you have to use fireworks from that one seller. you save the papers from the fireworks, and use them with the other NPCs to buy or make things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    this is *supposed* to be an event-Chinese based, obviously-where a boss pops up in that crossroads, and a fireworks seller as well. you cant kill the boss with normal attacks, you have to use fireworks from that one seller. you save the papers from the fireworks, and use them with the other NPCs to buy or make things.
    THANK YOU Fox, I was hoping somebody in this thread remembered the New Year's event. (I mean seriously, even Sango didn't know? -_-)

I don't remember all the details of it, but let's see if pwdatabase can help. What I remember is, this happened early in 2009, and involved certain daily quests to visit an NPC at various points on the map (sort of like a WQ, but much shorter). Here's what pwdatabase has on it:

The quest you took to get to them was Festival Visit.

Upon reaching the NPC, you traded the letter for them in for a Jiaozi Coin...

...which you then exchanged for various forms of firecrackers...

...which eventually became the Broken Red Paper those NPCs offer to trade for.

There was an event where a "Nein Beast" would spawn in the center of North Arch (which looked identical to TT3 Beast), and those who had firecrackers to burn would dig the various firecracker placement pillars around it. The firecrackers would be consumed in the digging process and then be used to attack the beast (which was the only way to damage it). I believe you got the Broken Red Paper as a by-product of digging (the database doesn't mention this). When the beast died, the NPCs would spawn and you could turn in your newly-acquired papers for the rewards.

So there. Now you know. ;[

So frankie/etc., I think you owe us an answer... when are we getting this event back? :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Dear Miugre,
    truekossy wrote: »
    Holy ****. Old-school Nien Beast boss from the 09 fire******* event! Never thought I'd see him again outside of my screenshots folder!
    I am offended that you missed my post where I instantly recognized it and ban you from happyland forever and ever! b:angry b:angry b:angry

And here's the official thread for it from back in the day!
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    THANK YOU Fox, I was hoping somebody in this thread remembered the New Year's event. (I mean seriously, even Sango didn't know? -_-)

I don't remember all the details of it, but let's see if pwdatabase can help. What I remember is, this happened early in 2009, and involved certain daily quests to visit an NPC at various points on the map (sort of like a WQ, but much shorter). Here's what pwdatabase has on it:

There was an event where a "Nein Beast" would spawn in the center of North Arch (which looked identical to TT3 Beast), and those who had firecrackers to burn would dig the various firecracker placement pillars around it. The firecrackers would be consumed in the digging process and then be used to attack the beast (which was the only way to damage it). I believe you got the Broken Red Paper as a by-product of digging (the database doesn't mention this). When the beast died, the NPCs would spawn and you could turn in your newly-acquired papers for the rewards.

So frankie/etc., I think you owe us an answer... when are we getting this event back? :P
    Dear Miugre,

I am offended that you missed my post where I instantly recognized it and ban you from happyland forever and ever! b:angry b:angry b:angry

Ah... I think I remember this event now.
    I was getting it mixed up with something else.

I've seen this event in play but I never did it due to quitting pwi so many times.

The lanterns themselves have been in files for a long time, the event not as long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I say just add it in, it's something else to do. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Jacerai - Dreamweaver
    Jacerai - Dreamweaver Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options

Dear Miugre,

So this is why when I asked for GBA boss and someone asked for Nein Beast to be spawned...we both got our wish. b:chuckle
    b:cute The world may be small, but it is far from known.

Why the rage? It's a draining emotion.

Me: DaValentine (veno), Jaceraie (mystic), etc etc etc b:chuckle
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    question is now: has the quest been set up? i dont see envelopes for sale at regular merchants...where do you go for the New Years Envelope that starts off the quest? you get the coin in exchange for the envelope...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I don't think that's directly related to the new years event. Nevertheless there are no other lanterns that I can think of that that quest would be referring to. Maybe the lanterns were supposed to be part of something else but got scrapped along with that quest and instead got reused for the new year's event...
    Huh? Did you see the date on that quest I linked to? The quest happens just a bit before midnight on 2/17/'07, and Chinese New Year in 2007 was on 2/18. I don't see how a quest that only happens just a few hours before New Years isn't a New Years event. :-P
    I wasn't around back then. Still, I did know that the "Red Papers" stuff was part of the old New Years event, and I even posted a link to a related New Years quest. All I really didn't know was that lanterns appeared during the event.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Sangodoc wrote: »
    Huh? Did you see the date on that quest I linked to? The quest happens just a bit before midnight on 2/17/'07, and Chinese New Year in 2007 was on 2/18. I don't see how a quest that only happens just a few hours before New Years isn't a New Years event. :-P

i saw the date on my phone today, so what the hell are these things doing in the game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    i saw the date on my phone today, so what the hell are these things doing in the game?
    It appears to be because a GM spawned them on two servers (Dreamweaver and Raging Tide).

Chinese New Year was on January 23rd this year, so it wasn't caused by that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Sangodoc wrote: »

I had meant in regards to the 2009 new years event.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _linx_ - Harshlands
    _linx_ - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    they should just do the event if they accidentally set up the npcs already b:surrender...w/ all the lanturns its already gotten ppl's attention...so it would b nice if they would just do it lol b:chuckle
  • SiriCouture - Dreamweaver
    SiriCouture - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    It's kinda weird how they pop up one day, then disappear the next. Betting when they come back again...