Packs

Options

Comments

• Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    PWE follows this thought and makes packs untradeable and the items untradeable also

1st day implemented - Ok, things seem to be ok..

1st day implemented (12 hrs after being implemented) - Wait...what...Our gold dropped HOW much?? b:shock

2nd day implemented: OMG NO!!! QUICK MERGE THE SERVERS!!!

3rd day implemented: Game dead, servers offline. PWE can't even salvage the game.

That give you and idea of what might happen if packs became a Bind on Pickup (BoP) item?

We are going to have to agree to disagree.
  • TheUnderLord - Lost City
    TheUnderLord - Lost City Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    if lets say you're in charge and you decide to follow through with the whole making pack items non-tradeable (or even non-stashable?), what could you possibly do to remedy the potential gold market collapse, the skyrocketing price range of tokens which also leads to similar reaction for pots, hypers etc?

Put packs in the cash shop as a perpetual sale? even with +10 orbs and rank 9? I think it only goes downhill from here...
    "yesterday was history, tomorrow is a mystery....but today it is a gift, that is why it is called the present."

L.C. Merchantile Asset Management est.2010
    (pwinsider.wordpress.com)
  • _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver
    _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 753 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    PWE follows this thought and makes packs untradeable and the items untradeable also

1st day implemented - Ok, things seem to be ok..

1st day implemented (12 hrs after being implemented) - Wait...what...Our gold dropped HOW much?? b:shock

2nd day implemented: OMG NO!!! QUICK MERGE THE SERVERS!!!

3rd day implemented: Game dead, servers offline. PWE can't even salvage the game.

That give you and idea of what might happen if packs became a Bind on Pickup (BoP) item?

disagree, making pack and its content bound would bring back the old economy.(Like before packs)
    Some ppl might leave yea, but everyday there would be new players joiningb:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I Miss the old days of PWIb:surrender
    edited January 2012
    Options
    disagree, making pack and its content bound would bring back the old economy.(Like before packs)
    Some ppl might leave yea, but everyday there would be new players joiningb:pleased

maybe more like the exodus when moses and his people left Egypt lol
    "yesterday was history, tomorrow is a mystery....but today it is a gift, that is why it is called the present."

• truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Gold would wind up even more valuable since the only way to get tokens and a large portion of pack items would now be direct purchase from the cash shop.

It wouldn't be too bad at first if it only applied to NEW items, but if it was also applied to any tokens/packs/pack gained items currently in circulation and included what was produced via packs (aka no using your tokens to make a G7 cit and then selling it), then things would be... fairly horrendous. Those of you thinking otherwise probably haven't thought things through very well. >_>
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    With the way the game has progressed, coin has never been easier to make than before. Farming NV, grinds, hh runs, 2x drops, have all contributed to the inflationary levels, it's just the way it is for now.

Coin is only "easy" to make because there is so much of it, when the demand is high for things like nirvana, then of course people will pay lots for the thing they want, simply because there is so much floating around, gold will keep rising simply because there is no real coin sink, tell me, what NPC do you buy items from that potentially dumps millions out the game?
    The vast majority of players are geared with either Rank 8 or Nirv, they have the means to farm and sell an abundance of goods on the market at decent value.
    Removing 10 mil bank notes also doesn't remove the fact that the total amount of TW coin rewards brings in 2.3billion (according to frankie) every month. That's quite a substantial addition to the economy.

As I said above, farming mats does not effect the econamy, because it's not direct gold in your pocket once you pick it up, removing the 10mill bank notes that loads of people are getting per day, in bulks will help a lot, you can't forget also that TW coin is split generally between 80+ per land (depending on situation and how the guild does it), really its only if the guild has an army of terratorys, then they are getting big bulks of money, if its just like 5-10 lands split between 80-100 people for e.g, then it isn't even that bad when you add it up per week.
    The Gold prices has to be the way they are due to the average value that's inherent in 1 pack (approximately 400-430k), removing packs will only collapse the gold market alongside the token market that goes with it. After that, no one will want to purchase zhen to get gold to sell to get the things they want to buy. By that point you remove the incentive for people to play this game to make coins and get better gears.

Since when would a lower gold price = people wouldn't want to play the game and get better gears? if anything it's the opposite, now I can understand what you mean with the possibility of less people buying zen, but think of it this way, the game was doing totally fine before there was even packs, the herc/nix things in the CS rarely and rank items being in the CS, but lets say the pack items were bound, there would still be less people purchasing packs to try get the better items, simply because they can't resell them and if they get the same item they already have...well that's going to be a kick in the teeth.
    Plus, with the farmers and others who have accumulated a substantial amount of coins while gold may turn into 500k each do what? Gold price will definitely shoot up as people compete for the cheapest gold in a gold shortage since packs would be removed.

Very true and I can see how that would actually be an issue, if PWI actually had an actual coin sink for people to dump money into then the problem woulden't exist, my idea of having a bunch of the pack items in an NPC would do a bit of head work to an extent, I suppose if anything, it would take perhaps a year or something to make the gold price go down.
    Just as essential as those semi-important items like pots & hypers, pack drives are important to maintaining the economy the way it is or it will collapse, and the company will definitely go under because NOTHING has been as lucrative as packs (perhaps you can also include rank 9 sales).

I don't think it would collapse, it would simply make it go down to a reasonable amount, just not to reasonable simply because of R8/R9 being purchasable through gold so the econamy would still be their, I highly doubt it would go any lower than 600-700k, but that's just my thought.

re-read the OP's first post, he was talking specifically about the potential effects of making all items from packs NON-TRADEABLE. NOT REMOVING PACKS ENTIRELY. So yea, perhaps it is you who's been making pointless comments.

It wasn't a pointless comment at all, it was actually an "idea" above all, I've responded to you in small quotes for each bit, I actually see your point so I won't bother mentioning it any more, I've said my ideas and what I think may happen, good or bad as they may be, I respect your opinion so I'll leave it there, I just don't see why you couldn't of simply gave me your opinion on what you think would happen with the gold price in the first place instead of just giving me a rage post with no explanation behind it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I agree, packs would still serve as a lottery for people who wanted to gamble, and for the most part, people would adapt. Its been said this game was dead for 2 years now, and lo and behold, its still going.
    Perses is overly negative and feels the need to try and inject 'game is dead or dying' into as many threads as possible. You'll never convince them otherwise - as I am sure the reply (if any) to even this will prove :P

Is this 'question' set as everything being bound? I wouldn't say auto-bind everything though. Gear, yes. Auto-bind gear and insignias, tomes, high-end gems and stones, all that sort of stuff that comes out. I would not auto-bind mounts or flyers (someone wants to spend 100mil on fancy wings...go ahead, doesn't affect my farming any). I would leave tokens/best lucks as they are as well...sure they affect the market considerably, but everyone can dabble and play in that market.
    Mats to make high-end gears.....is kind of gray. But take something like the stone of the jungle. Auto-binding one mat of many needed for a high end gear would be just dumb, I think.
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    You people seem to either be farmers...or gold buyers (ones' who quoted me, besides Sagek)...

I don't think you get it. PWI is staying online mainly due to all the people who charge gold and buy items. If pack items became bound (there-by making them untradeable, which means that people wouldn't buy them anymore because of no resell value), the majority (if not all) of PWE's profit from PWI would disappear.

If you think it'll be a "small" group leaving, you would dead wrong. If I had a take a shot at it, more than half of each server (maybe 3/4th's...not too sure on the population area of each one) would disappear.
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited January 2012
    Options
    You people seem to either be farmers...or gold buyers (ones' who quoted me, besides Sagek)...

I don't think you get it. PWI is staying online mainly due to all the people who charge gold and buy items. If pack items became bound (there-by making them untradeable, which means that people wouldn't buy them anymore because of no resell value), the majority (if not all) of PWE's profit from PWI would disappear.

If you think it'll be a "small" group leaving, you would dead wrong. If I had a take a shot at it, more than half of each server (maybe 3/4th's...not too sure on the population area of each one) would disappear.

I still have to disagree with you on this. Even tho I do agree packs are a source of revenue it is in no way their bread and butter. they were around before packs and they would be around after they made a change like this. You're actting like PWE's only source of income is from PWI. You have to understand they have Multiple games, Advertisement space, sales on other games, etc. They would be just fine without the packs and if they made them untradable people would still buy the packs. no one is suggesting the packs being removed.. Would they lose revenue? yes they would i can agree with you there, but there is no way making a change like that would destroy PWI. I'm sorry man but their business is not based on the sell of Packs like any other business they would find another source of revenue to replace what the packs were providing..
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I still have to disagree with you on this. Even tho I do agree packs are a source of revenue it is in no way their bread and butter. they were around before packs and they would be around after they made a change like this. You're actting like PWE's only source of income is from PWI. You have to understand they have Multiple games, Advertisement space, sales on other games, etc. They would be just fine without the packs and if they made them untradable people would still buy the packs. no one is suggesting the packs being removed.. Would they lose revenue? yes they would i can agree with you there, but there is no way making a change like that would destroy PWI. I'm sorry man but their business is not based on the sell of Packs like any other business they would find another source of revenue to replace what the packs were providing..

You said in another thead you have been here for 3 years. Then you know of the original gold price being in the 100-150k range. This was because not many people where buying gold, and the one's that were didn't use it in the gold trade mainly but instead on the very few items that they could use in the boutique (not very much of a selection that is USEFUL), now you also know of when they first introduced packs (Anniversery packs, or Anni packs for short) the gold price rocketed from 100-150k to 300-500k (based on server, this is the range I know of). This just proves that people love to gamble, yes, but they also know they can buy and resell the items from the packs, plus the packs themselves and make their money back.

Now make those packs bound, and you can kiss gold prices currently good bye, say hello to '09 gold prices. Which means that PWE will kiss a large majority of their profit good bye. As people who buy gold are loving the current prices and I highly doubt they would bother to keep charging if gold dropped back to 100-150k per. (Though the buyers would love it as now it's affordable...but really said that only makes the farmers happy, not the one's who charge)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Why do you think gold would suddenly drop? Are all other sales also done with with? No. Rep, dorbs and other sales that drive markets would still flourish unchanged.

And back in '09...yes I was here...it also took you forever to farm that coin for that gold. 1.5mil for 1 gold then would have been utterly ridiculous. The farming is now different with Nirvana, for one. I don't think gold would be as drastically affected as you think. I think it would drop some, yes, but not to the point you seem to believe.
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Why do you think gold would suddenly drop? Are all other sales also done with with? No. Rep, dorbs and other sales that drive markets would still flourish unchanged.

And back in '09...yes I was here...it also took you forever to farm that coin for that gold. 1.5mil for 1 gold then would have been utterly ridiculous. The farming is now different with Nirvana, for one. I don't think gold would be as drastically affected as you think. I think it would drop some, yes, but not to the point you seem to believe.

You seem to miss the point, the major revenue for PWE that comes from PWI is from packs, packs, packs. I mean literally why do you think everybody QQ's about them?

Make packs unusable, you drive the price of everything up into astronomical number for prices because they become "Rare", "Ultra rare", and "Impossible".

So I mean unless you are wantin to pay 2 bil for a JoSD instead of 100-200 mil...then be my guest and make packs a BoP item.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I still have to disagree with you on this. Even tho I do agree packs are a source of revenue it is in no way their bread and butter.

Source?
    You said in another thead you have been here for 3 years.

lol. Right.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Source?

lol. Right.

It was the same thread that you bookmarked for a "I told you so" reply :P @ my quote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It was the same thread that you bookmarked for a "I told you so" reply :P @ my quote

/confused

I haven't bookmarked any posts xP
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Altho it would cause some turbulence. I do believe like in any free market an equilibrium would be found after the dust settled and things would continue on.
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    edited January 2012
    Options
    /confused

I haven't bookmarked any posts xP

lol, well you said you did in the thread :>

If I remember right it was Sagek giving a suggestion about something to do with how the game is ran or along those lines.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited January 2012
    Options

If I remember right it was Sagek giving a suggestion about something to do with how the game is ran or along those lines.

Is it cool if we stay on topic?
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Altho it would cause some turbulence. I do believe like in any free market an equilibrium would be found after the dust settled and things would continue on.

This isn't a free market. It's a fixed market. As soon as you remove pack rewards as the baseline for gold prices, the next lower available standard will step in to keep gold from bottoming out. The only 'turbulence' you would notice at first is waves of non-cash shoppers leaving the game because everything else just got way more expensive again.

These servers need non-cashers far more than it needs people to charge.

Link me?
    edited January 2012
    Options

I meant the thread Persus said I stated that I bookmarked something.

Either that or I'm still confused.

Never mind, because it's really not relevant to anything...
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I meant the thread Persus said I stated that I bookmarked something.

Either that or I'm still confused.

Never mind, because it's really not relevant to anything...

It's still better than what we would talk about instead...

What if the packs needed a golden hammer to open? herp topic
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I actually would like to hear from some the merchants on their thoughts if they would be willing to provide them. They seem like they would provide some decent insight into this.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Un-tradeable cash-shop items is a pretty common strategy in the MMORPG world, so the easiest way to answer the question would be to look at the competition.

With that being said, I'd then argue that it would simply kill the game. I base this belief on the fact that the vast majority of F2P MMORPGs that have followed the, "If you want access to the best stuff, you have no choice but to pay," have died grizzly deaths.

PWI's strength is in its open economy. Almost everything can be bought for either real-life money or in-game money, which benefits all types of players.

Take away PWI's biggest strength and impose a hard division between those who pay and those who don't, and the game really has nothing that sets it apart from countless other failed F2P MMORPGs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I actually would like to hear from some the merchants on their thoughts if they would be willing to provide them. They seem like they would provide some decent insight into this.
    Un-tradeable cash-shop items is a pretty common strategy in the MMORPG world, so the easiest way to answer the question would be to look at the competition.

With that being said, I'd then argue that it would simply kill the game. I base this belief on the fact that the vast majority of F2P MMORPGs that have followed the, "If you want access to the best stuff, you have no choice but to pay," have died grizzly deaths.

PWI's strength is in its open economy. Almost everything can be bought for either real-life money or in-game money, which benefits all types of players.

Take away PWI's biggest strength and impose a hard division between those who pay and those who don't, and the game really has nothing that sets it apart from countless other failed F2P MMORPGs.

Although I don't have merchanting experience in other F2P MMORPGs as PWI is my first one ever and doing quite successfully (thanks to warren here if I may add), I believe what Warren is saying makes perfect sense because if you think about it, this game is quite multi-faceted in terms of appealing to both player bases - F2P, and P2P. No to mention that with enough time invested and hard-work, F2P players will and do have access to high-end gears that otherwise be inaccessible if it was a closed and exclusive cash shop.

The game can only do that through an open economy that grants access to both parties, allowing a relatively fluid market, although the market is very much influenced by the decision makers of PWI (or PWE perhaps) who announce the sales. That is why packs and pack item must not be bound to the user.

Merchants will definitely lose a major part of their livelihood in their game as packs are one of the staples they sell. Myself included.

• Devoted - Lost City
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Although I don't have merchanting experience in other F2P MMORPGs as PWI is my first one ever and doing quite successfully (thanks to warren here if I may add), I believe what Warren is saying makes perfect sense because if you think about it, this game is quite multi-faceted in terms of appealing to both player bases - F2P, and P2P. No to mention that with enough time invested and hard-work, F2P players will and do have access to high-end gears that otherwise be inaccessible if it was a closed and exclusive cash shop.

The game can only do that through an open economy that grants access to both parties, allowing a relatively fluid market, although the market is very much influenced by the decision makers of PWI (or PWE perhaps) who announce the sales. That is why packs and pack item must not be bound to the user.

Merchants will definitely lose a major part of their livelihood in their game as packs are one of the staples they sell. Myself included.

How the in the world does PWI appeal to P2P players? P2P players pay $15-$20 a month for a consistently good game free of any external imbalance. P2P here is spend thousands of dollars for the best gear for pvp and maybe in a month your gear is obsolete. Even if people don't care for pvp, the pve in this game is a complete joke compared to any P2P game released in the past two years. Even korean grindfests have more to offer than slog through x instance y times.

Most P2P players I know still complain about the $15 cost of their service.
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    How the in the world does PWI appeal to P2P players? P2P players pay $15-$20 a month for a consistently good game free of any external imbalance.

This isn't necessarily true. P2P games have to deal with 3rd party groups who farm in game currency to "illegally" sell to the players. Do you think P2P players don't take advantage of this? Of course they do, and so of course players with more disposable income will have more than players without.

Granted, there are people who will abide by the rules and not purchase the currency via a third party site. But if the market wasn't there, the industry couldn't exist very well, could it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2012
    Options
    How the in the world does PWI appeal to P2P players? P2P players pay $15-$20 a month for a consistently good game free of any external imbalance. P2P here is spend thousands of dollars for the best gear for pvp and maybe in a month your gear is obsolete. Even if people don't care for pvp, the pve in this game is a complete joke compared to any P2P game released in the past two years. Even korean grindfests have more to offer than slog through x instance y times.

If pwi was unappealing in the first place, I doubt those players would even consider playing thousands of $ to get the best gears.The thousands spent pretty much covers the equivalent of that long term membership total for that consistently good game. There's still a great deal of competition amongst the PvPers, TWs, and the 9 Trials are still relatively challenging.

and why would those P2P players complain about $15 going towards a consistently good game anyways?

And your claim that best gears are maybe obsolete in a month is exaggerated, rank 9 is obsolete since it was introduced long ago? Is decently refined rank 8 obsolete as well even though it was introduced I believe a year ago? What about certain nirvana pieces like the helm and pants? Pangu and Love Up and Down? They're not exactly obsolete.

Although your point about pve being a joke is very much true, that I agree.

• Divine_Death - Harshlands
    Divine_Death - Harshlands Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

Let's rephrase that. PW appeal to baddies in that they can spend a few thousands and be "good" and win when they can't on a "real" game.
  • Devoted - Lost City
    edited January 2012
    Options
    This isn't necessarily true. P2P games have to deal with 3rd party groups who farm in game currency to "illegally" sell to the players. Do you think P2P players don't take advantage of this? Of course they do, and so of course players with more disposable income will have more than players without.

Granted, there are people who will abide by the rules and not purchase the currency via a third party site. But if the market wasn't there, the industry couldn't exist very well, could it?

The difference is in P2P games coins aren't as important. Getting coins on a P2P game is easy and is a by-product of being okay at the game. Almost all gear in these games are bind on pickup in the instance or earned though pvp. Obviously spending money at a gold farmer will give you an edge financially but you still need to pve or pvp for your gear. Another thing to note is that due to the subscription model the devs are forced to act against RMT, bots and what not because unlike PWI they still need to provide after you spent your money since it's only a small amount.

If you did the same on PWI and just cash shopped 15$ a month to stay even with the cost of a P2P game you could afford maybe a single shard for your armor each month.
    If pwi was unappealing in the first place, I doubt those players would even consider playing thousands of $ to get the best gears.

They don't. PW is unappealing to most people. F2P only needs to appeal to a small subset of people because they spend such an anomalous amount of money for a game it covers about the same as a large number of players chipping in a little bit.
    The thousands spent pretty much covers the equivalent of that long term membership total for that consistently good game. There's still a great deal of competition amongst the PvPers, TWs, and the 9 Trials are still relatively challenging.

Long term is right. Rank 9 costs what, $1500? That's over 8 years of a membership @ $15/mo. Hope rank10 takes that long.
    and why would those P2P players complain about $15 going towards a consistently good game anyways?

Clearly they never played a F2P game like PW.
    And your claim that best gears are maybe obsolete in a month is exaggerated, rank 9 is obsolete since it was introduced long ago? Is decently refined rank 8 obsolete as well even though it was introduced I believe a year ago? What about certain nirvana pieces like the helm and pants? Pangu and Love Up and Down? They're not exactly obsolete.

Although your point about pve being a joke is very much true, that I agree.
    It's exaggerated. That wasn't my point though, what I'm saying is PW needs to recycle gear for them to make money. Either adding new gear which has to be better to be worth buying or making previously expensive stuff cheaper. This usually means waiting is almost always better when it comes to charging money since either your gear gets insta-obsolete (pretty much nirvana weapons) or 10x cheaper in the future. I'll be impressed if PW never releases better gear than rank9 and stays afloat.