Server's richest people

Comments

• Vorbane - Harshlands
    Vorbane - Harshlands Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited October 2011
  • Cytte - Harshlands
    Cytte - Harshlands Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    ...HOLY ****. Even pwi acknowledged Bunny's death by making a fashion modeled after him! I just dont....I meean....this is....

b:cry

I think they foretold his death...I mean it was shown before we heard bunny died.....Could they have planed it!! b:shocked
    I <3 A lot of people
  • Spell_Caster - Raging Tide
    Spell_Caster - Raging Tide Posts: 2,216 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    LOLb:chuckleb:chuckleb:chuckle
    If someone hates you for no reason, then give that **** a reason!b:chuckle
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    LOLb:chuckleb:chuckleb:chuckle
    You need to CS the 2 lasts sockets
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • Aizza - Harshlands
    Aizza - Harshlands Posts: 719 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I don't really play on HL, but I have a level 23 character I follow pkers with. He has made quite a bit of coin so far so can I enter him into the competition?

Question.... are you making coin off what the pkers drop when they get pulverized or from their victims? I think you might have my 20+ pickaxes I've dropped..... (yes I did try to bind mine, seems they are unbindable - same as my vending lighter shop).
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Hmmm, with the new update I might just cash out my entire inventory and stop being a merchant. It really isn't that interesting anymore, the profits are harder to come by, and TBH if they ever release R10 I promise to quit the game by then b:laugh

So after update I'm possibly /retired and no longer rich b:shocked.

Or I could just cash out like half of my inventory and continue to merch...but then I can't enjoy the gears b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Deteriorate - Harshlands
    Deteriorate - Harshlands Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Hmmm, with the new update I might just cash out my entire inventory and stop being a merchant. It really isn't that interesting anymore, the profits are harder to come by, and TBH if they ever release R10 I promise to quit the game by then b:laugh

Or I could just cash out like half of my inventory and continue to merch...but then I can't enjoy the gears b:surrender

Sell it all and enjoy the challenge of PvP..... Oh wait R9. Uh, just keep merchanting, I assure you itl be more entertaining and rewarding than oneshotting 90% of the server.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    Sell it all and enjoy the challenge of PvP..... Oh wait R9. Uh, just keep merchanting, I assure you itl be more entertaining and rewarding than oneshotting 90% of the server.

I guess it will depend on how the prices of things fluctuate after the update. I've invested in a fairly sizable stock of tokens and mirages, and just recently stockpiled some uncannies due to the R9 recast screenies saying it will take uncannies to upgrade the armors.

Not expecting to make much of a profit off the mirages, but since they are selling for only 100-200 off 10k, if my bet turns out wrong I'm not out anything (they merchant for 10k ea). If they go up to near pre-fairy box levels then I'll have made a profit of 800k per 20 million coins, which is not that far off from packs (that's a 4% return on my money in 3 months, or annuitized to 16% for something w/ no risk).

The sale of packs has really died down, so if it happens I'll take it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    I guess it will depend on how the prices of things fluctuate after the update. I've invested in a fairly sizable stock of tokens and mirages, and just recently stockpiled some uncannies due to the R9 recast screenies saying it will take uncannies to upgrade the armors.

Not expecting to make much of a profit off the mirages, but since they are selling for only 100-200 off 10k, if my bet turns out wrong I'm not out anything (they merchant for 10k ea). If they go up to near pre-fairy box levels then I'll have made a profit of 800k per 20 million coins, which is not that far off from packs (that's a 4% return on my money in 3 months, or annuitized to 16% for something w/ no risk).

The sale of packs has really died down, so if it happens I'll take it.

Correction, the mirages does have risk. While it has a very limited downside risk, it *does* have an opportunity cost of alternative upside risk on ancillary commodities. Those commodities may appreciate in value faster than the marginal rate of mirages, which could cost me the difference between the marginal rate and the ancillary appreciation price rate in terms of abandoned deadweight cost.

Also, if what I said doesn't make sense, that's because it was complete BS. Thanks for reading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• tfi2f
    tfi2f Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Burnout, you inspire me so much...
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    tfi2f wrote: »
    Burnout, you inspire me so much...

The fact that I inspire you, inspires me to inspire you even more. In that way, you inspire me to keep on inspiring. *tears*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Cytte - Harshlands
    Cytte - Harshlands Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited November 2011

b:surrender its too true that merching is making less of a profit, especially the sales of packs.

Nuuu dun gooooooo......but if you must can i have your unwanted goods b:shy

Also last I checked there are only 2 people selling mirages @ around 15k ea.
    I <3 A lot of people
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    b:surrender its too true that merching is making less of a profit, especially the sales of packs.

Nuuu dun gooooooo......but if you must can i have your unwanted goods b:shy

Also last I checked there are only 2 people selling mirages @ around 15k ea.

I bought these mirages around 2 months ago, there were a TON of shops by the archosaur elder selling and buying for almost npc prices. At one point I saw them being bought for 10050 each. The info about fairy boxes being removed from solo TT was posted even before that.

I invested in them partly for sentimental reasons; I started off merchanting a long time ago with mirages, so if it weren't for those little things I'd probably never have started merchanting :O. I quit it because it's too hard to make a decent profit dealing mirages.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    So anyone happen to be selling diamond of dragons? I need 12 more, pm me in-game if you have some for sale. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hellsarcher - Harshlands
    Hellsarcher - Harshlands Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    So anyone happen to be selling diamond of dragons? I need 12 more, pm me in-game if you have some for sale. Thanks.

srry just sold off 8 =)
  • RedBetty - Harshlands
    RedBetty - Harshlands Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    why is this thread still up?
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    why is this thread still up?

I'm sorry Betty but undercutting catshops just makes sense for me since I only merchant a particular thing for a short time...I don't care about sustainability.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• RedBetty - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    what?
  • Props - Harshlands
    Props - Harshlands Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    what?

Translation: I pretend to know what I'm talking about, such as making up correlation between profit margin and sustainability.

I've sold things at 1% profit margins so I personally don't care about undercutting.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    Translation: I pretend to know what I'm talking about, such as making up correlation between profit margin and sustainability.

I've sold things at 1% profit margins so I personally don't care about undercutting.

I know you dont - its not like I haven't seen your catshop all day long. and selling @ 1% profit margin is just dumb.

Btw for those who read this thread here's an investment tip:

Ancient emblems

1. noobs don't know wtf it is

2. ppl who DO know usually don't really want it

3. The ppl who DO want it are generally rich and willing to pay a premium to buy a lot at once

4. It's a relatively new item that most don't know the value of

Buy at 1.5-3 million and sell for at least 3.5 mil.

Current profit from emblems I've made is 14 mil. It's not much but merchanting is about patience :)

Edit: the post about sustainability was from my convos w/ Tigerbabe, who I assumed was RedBetty, but I guess not, LOL. Tigerbabe argued that keeping the price high w/ everyone selling @ the same price would give sustained profits, rather than undercutting and eventually making it harder to sell more packs, etc.

Her argument is true for maybe something like an oligopoly, but not for a competitive marketplace where anyone can enter and exit at will. In this situation the principles of Nash equilibrium come into play (ie prisoner's dilemma) and undercutting is the most profitable winning strategy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• RedBetty - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    not entirely sure whats going on here but it seems that you mistake this game for a job or something O_O
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    not entirely sure whats going on here but it seems that you mistake this game for a job or something O_O

I troll ppl on these forums in my spare time.

OTOH, I enjoy merchanting in-game. If it bores you, then yeah, it may seem like a job to you.

TBH I'm in a job that doesn't use my degree's particular specialty (this happens a lot especially if you get a non-technical degree like a BA). So I enjoy using the stuff I learned to make a cool profit in-game b:laugh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• tfi2f
    edited November 2011
    Merchanting becomes like an addiction once you start it. You begin getting obsessive about the profits and begin to prefer logging in on your catshop and looking in west rather and AH than actually playing the game.

I can enjoy PvP on my bluenamed clerics more efficiently than on my veno and my wiz because I don't actually have to stress myself out with rank 9 oneshots and assassins crowding west arch. Have you NOTICED how many sins are out at west all the time now? It's like the server gave up and decided to PvP at Silver Pool and leave the sins at west. Somehow sins don't last long at Silver Pool, but I'm not very sure why.

Basically, since I have no assassin (refuse to make one) I farm on my veno daily to add to my capital and leave my wiz unplayed until it has better gear. But it's not even boring...merchanting is much more fun than actually playing PWI. BestDealz ftw, No Refund etc don't have tigerbabe and Wintermelon in guild chat :>

Fun fact, I keep one of my merch alts in CrimJr. so I can join with my wiz or veno when they begin TW again.
  • Halt - Harshlands
    Halt - Harshlands Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Brb ragebooting everyone from crimsonjr.
    Unban me.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Brb ragebooting everyone from crimsonjr.

Don't you dare kick iamgaylollololololo
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    tfi2f wrote: »
    Merchanting becomes like an addiction once you start it. You begin getting obsessive about the profits and begin to prefer logging in on your catshop and looking in west rather and AH than actually playing the game.

I can enjoy PvP on my bluenamed clerics more efficiently than on my veno and my wiz because I don't actually have to stress myself out with rank 9 oneshots and assassins crowding west arch. Have you NOTICED how many sins are out at west all the time now? It's like the server gave up and decided to PvP at Silver Pool and leave the sins at west. Somehow sins don't last long at Silver Pool, but I'm not very sure why.

Basically, since I have no assassin (refuse to make one) I farm on my veno daily to add to my capital and leave my wiz unplayed until it has better gear. But it's not even boring...merchanting is much more fun than actually playing PWI. BestDealz ftw, No Refund etc don't have tigerbabe and Wintermelon in guild chat :>

Fun fact, I keep one of my merch alts in CrimJr. so I can join with my wiz or veno when they begin TW again.

O sht, tfi2f laid everything down perfectly. Couldn't of said it better myself. For ppl like me tf (and I suppose warrenwolfy) merchanting is a big part of the reason why we even play this game.

If I played this just for the game mechanics itself I probably would have quit waaay back when a +11 wheel of denied fate was OP as *** (although those +12 calamities from Crimson kinda beat it out b:chuckle)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    Haggling tips : How do you buy things for cheaper than what a person would value it?

1. Don't say directly that their price is too expensive. Use examples to convince them that what you are offering them is a fair market price. People hate to be cheated.

seller: "wtf ancient emblems are worth 5 mil not 1.5".

me: "Have you seen the duke chats? They are way more common than best luck tokens, and those are worth only 5 mil. Plus it's a niche item that not a lot of ppl want, but everyone wants best luck tokens."

The truth is, the emblems *are* worth more than 1.5, because they sell from my catshop quickly at 3.8. But giving someone reasonable arguments convinces them they are getting a fair price.

2. Impose time limits on your offer. Let them know they can't just sit on your offer and wait. Use tactics like having to log off soon if they sound like they really want to get rid of it.

3. The sellers *want* to sell. They wouldn't be advertising it otherwise. If they ignore you, offer a slightly higher price, just to let them know you are legitimately interested in buying and willing to pay.

4. If possible, right click their name and click "follow". Or, invite them into your group. People are more willing to sell if they can "physically" see you in front of them, because then you're not just an anonymous buyer. It puts a "face" on a potential buyer and makes the interaction more personable. If you make an offer while "looking" directly at them, they are more inclined to accept the offer, especially if you pressure them socially. Plus, you are right there, so they can instantly get their money.

5. Last and best rule...always be courteous and nice :) You are buying from a real person, and they may want to sell to you again in the future if you are friendly and fast with payment. If they are big-time pack buyers, friend them and offer to buy their pack drops at quick, reasonable prices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Haggling tips : How do you buy things for cheaper than what a person would value it?

1. Don't say directly that their price is too expensive. Use examples to convince them that what you are offering them is a fair market price. People hate to be cheated.

seller: "wtf ancient emblems are worth 5 mil not 1.5".

me: "Have you seen the duke chats? They are way more common than best luck tokens, and those are worth only 5 mil. Plus it's a niche item that not a lot of ppl want, but everyone wants best luck tokens."

The truth is, the emblems *are* worth more than 1.5, because they sell from my catshop quickly at 3.8. But giving someone reasonable arguments convinces them they are getting a fair price.

2. Impose time limits on your offer. Let them know they can't just sit on your offer and wait. Use tactics like having to log off soon if they sound like they really want to get rid of it.

3. The sellers *want* to sell. They wouldn't be advertising it otherwise. If they ignore you, offer a slightly higher price, just to let them know you are legitimately interested in buying and willing to pay.

4. If possible, right click their name and click "follow". Or, invite them into your group. People are more willing to sell if they can "physically" see you in front of them, because then you're not just an anonymous buyer. It puts a "face" on a potential buyer and makes the interaction more personable.

5. Last and best rule...always be courteous and nice :) You are buying from a real person, and they may want to sell to you again in the future if you are friendly and fast with payment. If they are big-time pack buyers, friend them and offer to buy their pack drops at quick, reasonable prices.

Yesterday I tried to sell Deicides I got from PK for 36mil. A BM messaged me and said she'll take them.
    Two minutes later she said "nvm I got an offer to buy Deicides +5 for 35mil." I checked world chat and saw nothing, then saw that she was also guildless.
    Then I basically messaged her and said "I'll sell them for 33mil if you cut all this haggling bullsh!t out right now and just buy the damn things."
    Then she did.

I think I'm a pretty convincing merchant, imo. b:cool
    I <3 AGOREY
  • tfi2f
    edited November 2011
    I'm still a small merchant, but my most recent good accomplishments were that I bought not 1 but 3 Stones of the Jungle for 2.9mil...I also bought between 3-5 others for 3.0mil. See, the way to make somebody part with something for cheap when dealing with someone who is unaware of the market, is to be unfailingly convincing in saying that nobody wants it, or that you know the true price of the item. This works for people who don't know the value of their own item. Especially when it's early morning or midday when people aren't really in game, but at work, so there aren't other bidders telling them the real price of the item. People who try to auction off an item on WC around that time are already presumed to be noobs you can buy from at low cost -- an experienced player wouldn't sell his stuff at that time.

Never, ever bid immediately. You want to wait a bit before you curtly give your bid. This serves two purposes: (a) it makes sure that you don't look like you're really really interested in the item, (b) it ensures that if nobody else has bid as yet, the person begins to doubt their original asking price, thinking that it was too expensive; (c) also, if somebody has already bid, but has dropped their bid due to them not being able to meet the seller's asking price, that will compound the feeling of doubt.

Now you step into the arena. Buying an item is a fight of the mind. It's about pitting your will against theirs. You have to crush their confidence in their item, bit by bit. So for example, if you already have a copy of that item, you may link it and show them that you have no real interest in the item, and that it's only "for an alt". Tell them that you "really don't want to spend more than X coin on it". Make sure you only link it after a significant part of the engagement has occured; say about...60% into the sale. Don't ever reveal a psychological ace like that up front. You want them to feel like they're gaining ground, then suddenly crush their perceptions by making them understand that you really have no urgent need for the item and that you already have one.

Additionally, your first bid is the most CRITICAL part of the whole affair. There is no line you will type into chat that is more defining than your first bid on an item, period. Your bid must come off as confident, informed, and budget conscious. The lattermost is important because it makes you look more like a merchant; a player who knows the price of items and also knows how to manage coin and has millions of coin in his invent. This is a psychological intimidator. The first bid must be very close to the price you actually want to buy for, but not too low, but still very very low. You can't convince them that their item is no longer relevant if you bid previous market price...

This line is a classic: "Nobody really buys that anymore: midgame content is out of the window, and everybody FCs to lvl100 in 2 days. People don't buy Wheel of Fate anymore, bro. When was the last time you saw a lvl4x wiz grinding? LOL"

^ Be sure to add in the "LOL". The final step is to casually disengage the bid if they don't break. "Ah, well good luck then, lemme know if you come around, I really wanted that for my <wiz/psy/archer/alt>. Peace bro :)"

Along with other things you would have said during the engagement, that should get a good break and you will have a sale.

For an experienced play who knows the price of their item, you don't want to **** them off and make them refuse to sell to you out of spite. This type of seller is another story altogether and it takes more work to get a good low buy price off of them.\

EDIT: Ah right and Burnout was right on the money: always be polite; you may have to use a bit of irony or slight sarcastic emphasis to get your point across, but don't continually daunt the person: be unfailingly polite.

EDIT2: Oh right, and I quit the game the night the new patch came out for rank recast.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2011
    Yesterday I tried to sell Deicides I got from PK for 36mil. A BM messaged me and said she'll take them.
    Two minutes later she said "nvm I got an offer to buy Deicides +5 for 35mil." I checked world chat and saw nothing, then saw that she was also guildless.
    Then I basically messaged her and said "I'll sell them for 33mil if you cut all this haggling bullsh!t out right now and just buy the damn things."
    Then she did.

I think I'm a pretty convincing merchant, imo. b:cool

You used rules # 2 and 3 - you let her know you are interested and willing to negotiate better prices, but then you pressured her with a time limit/ultimatum: Cut the bull****, and take my 33 mil offer, or we're done. Brutal b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]