sage or demon?

Options
rainbowyoshii
rainbowyoshii Posts: 93 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Mystic
so whats the benefits of each? which one is better and for what reason?
Post edited by rainbowyoshii on

Comments

• Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    Kaitica - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    That in a quick nutshell, they're both pretty equal

Sage gets more chi, 95% exp res, purify Break in the clouds, less mana useage, stronger thicket, more wood damage mastery, more physical defense.

Demon gets more spike damage, more channel, 100% hp res, purify aoe heal, more chi from Break in the clouds, more damage output with spam skill, aoe amp, chance to negate status, more immbol chance w/ gale, and falling petals is 5 minutes.

Ends up with preference, I like demon
  • Baby_pho - Heavens Tear
    Baby_pho - Heavens Tear Posts: 636 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    That in a quick nutshell, they're both pretty equal

Sage gets more chi, 95% exp res, purify Break in the clouds, less mana useage, stronger thicket, more wood damage mastery, more physical defense.

Demon gets more spike damage, more channel, 100% hp res, purify aoe heal, more chi from Break in the clouds, more damage output with spam skill, aoe amp, chance to negate status, more immbol chance w/ gale, and falling petals is 5 minutes.

Ends up with preference, I like demon

which skill is aoe amp? id like to know o.o' thicket?

http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php doesnt actually say amp but i jsut wanna clearify if it is amp or not.

i too am figuring out which path to chose for my mystic im leaning for sage tho
  • Barunaa - Heavens Tear
    Barunaa - Heavens Tear Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    DEMON thicket is the only AoE amp for mystics.
  • My_Camry - Heavens Tear
    My_Camry - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm a sage mystic myself.
    Got sage break in the clouds couple days ago and absolutely love it.
    Been farming DQ on poisonous mobs near thousand streams, with 1-2 heals usually enough to pure myself.
    Also can't wait to put my hands on sage Cragglord as it will have extra 3 seconds , equals more damage and in some situations difference between life and death.
    Love sage Gale force, as it slows mobs down - before I rarely used Gale force in FF as it scattered mobs all over the place, now they don't make it far with slow on them :-)
    I could go on more, but just like Kaitica said it's all comes down to your personal preference.
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm a sage mystic myself.
    Got sage break in the clouds couple days ago and absolutely love it.
    Been farming DQ on poisonous mobs near thousand streams, with 1-2 heals usually enough to pure myself.
    Also can't wait to put my hands on sage Cragglord as it will have extra 3 seconds , equals more damage and in some situations difference between life and death.
    Love sage Gale force, as it slows mobs down - before I rarely used Gale force in FF as it scattered mobs all over the place, now they don't make it far with slow on them :-)
    I could go on more, but just like Kaitica said it's all comes down to your personal preference.

Thank you :)

One thing, demon thicket will override heavens flame just like demon para nova from venos since it does the same debuff. If you ever get it, its after HF is done for the extra amp.

I like how we're all from heavens tear... lolz
  • Baby_pho - Heavens Tear
    Baby_pho - Heavens Tear Posts: 636 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thank you :)

One thing, demon thicket will override heavens flame just like demon para nova from venos since it does the same debuff. If you ever get it, its after HF is done for the extra amp.

I like how we're all from heavens tear... lolz

according to http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php , demon thicket has a 25% chance to increase dmg taken by target for 9 seconds

how much % is the increased dmg on demon thicket?
  • MrMelvin - Heavens Tear
    MrMelvin - Heavens Tear Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options

That seems to be the issue with mystic skill explanations as a whole to be honest. Has a chance is really annoying since you don't know what you're working with. I would like to know what the chance for freeze/silence is on gale force and Thicket in general.

I am a sage mystic. I love it since I do love to support, the chance to purify is kinda what made me choose it. Yeah mystics are good DDs but we are also good support so I chose the support path more, more chi = more vital usage, gale force to silence/freeze in a bad situation or thicket/cragg for damage when mobs/bosses are dying. I also have sage Nature Vengeance which also give a chance to build more chi so when you know the squad is safe you can throw a few NVs onto the target to top up the chi or gain that extra chi to get the next spark.

Just look over the skills and decide what you want to do, I don't really think someone else can make your mind up for you.
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    according to http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php , demon thicket has a 25% chance to increase dmg taken by target for 9 seconds

For demon thicket, I say it's the same as parasitic nova, or it might become overpowered LOL.... It's total guess I'm not 99 yet
  • Crescendia - Harshlands
    Crescendia - Harshlands Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Demon thicket procs alot with me o.O feels like it's more then 25% chance even though the description says 25% lol
    Originally Posted by Curses - Harshlands

Sidenote: hilarious name for a boat: "Yeah Buoy".

b:laughb:laugh
  • XMiyala - Dreamweaver
    XMiyala - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    All demon procs feel like they proc more than 25% or w/e it says. It makes me feel like the number is just something to psychologically throw us off. xD
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    All demon procs feel like they proc more than 25% or w/e it says. It makes me feel like the number is just something to psychologically throw us off. xD

Like cash shop packs. b:chuckle
  • XMiyala - Dreamweaver
    XMiyala - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Like cash shop packs. b:chuckle

b:chuckle Lol yup. Those are even worse.
  • agiya
    agiya Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thanks for this discussion. I've been torn but leaning towards Sage. After reading I am still torn, but leaning toward Demon.

The chance to purify sounds a little more lack lustre than when I orginally heard it, if you consider it applies to just one heal spell, and cannot be used for a chance to purify a group. Limits its overall effectiveness to solo PvE.

Since I have a balance going between DD and Heals, with a definate slant toward DD, Demon is looking better & better.

I hope to see more folks input on the topic.
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    agiya wrote: »
    Thanks for this discussion. I've been torn but leaning towards Sage. After reading I am still torn, but leaning toward Demon.

The chance to purify sounds a little more lack lustre than when I orginally heard it, if you consider it applies to just one heal spell, and cannot be used for a chance to purify a group. Limits its overall effectiveness to solo PvE.

Since I have a balance going between DD and Heals, with a definate slant toward DD, Demon is looking better & better.

I hope to see more folks input on the topic.

And we get a sexy red spark.
  • Retsuko - Heavens Tear
    Retsuko - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,016 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Honestly, both demon and sage can DD and support just as good. But each one has their benefits, demons can shoot a little faster with demon spark, sages are more pve friendly and can purify by chance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

playing Faction Wars Again.
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Honestly, both demon and sage can DD and support just as good. But each one has their benefits, demons can shoot a little faster with demon spark, sages are more pve friendly and can purify by chance.

So can demon but its in the form of an impractical im gonna purify you aoe heal.
  • agiya
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So can demon but its in the form of an impractical im gonna purify you aoe heal.

What makes it immpractical - sounds sort of perfect to this newb.. .?
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    agiya wrote: »
    What makes it immpractical - sounds sort of perfect to this newb.. .?

Umm the fact that it takes 3.5 seconds to channel w/o channel gear and that it only purifies 1/3 times with a 6 second cooldown.
  • agiya
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Umm the fact that it takes 3.5 seconds to channel w/o channel gear and that it only purifies 1/3 times with a 6 second cooldown.

Point taken...could be better, but meh - I'll take it! That's Demon?...looking better & better b:dirty
  • Fonyan - Heavens Tear
    Fonyan - Heavens Tear Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Just went sage a few hours ago. :S Regretting it now after reading this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Screenshot thread:
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1504791

Currently playing: real life ver. 2.0
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Just went sage a few hours ago. :S Regretting it now after reading this thread.

Shoulda joined my faction, I could have raged at you all day b:surrender
  • Fonyan - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Shoulda joined my faction, I could have raged at you all day b:surrender

b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Screenshot thread:

• Sellyn - Lothranis
    Sellyn - Lothranis Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I think I'm going for sage. Principally for the sage BC.
  • Ling__Tong - Sanctuary
    Ling__Tong - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Okay, so I'm a new mystic and I have a couple questions. I've been leaning towards sage because I'm naturally more of a supporter, but I wanted to know if when demon aoe heal procs, does it purify everyone or just one or two people in squad? Also, same kind of question with demon thicket - will all mobs in the aoe be hf'd or roughly one of every four? I've also been debating about demon vs sage because of the spark effect. Coupled with rapid growth, you could achieve -45 channel with demon spark but aside from lysing, absorb soul, and aoe heal do we even have many slow channel skills? I have a wizard and most of our skills on wizard are 3 seconds, so channeling makes sense; however, many mystic moves are already fast such as break in the clouds, pet heal, gale force, and nv. o.o lookin for any advice I can get, only lvl 70 at this point and haven't learned craglord yet.
  • Fonyan - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Okay, so I'm a new mystic and I have a couple questions. I've been leaning towards sage because I'm naturally more of a supporter, but I wanted to know if when demon aoe heal procs, does it purify everyone or just one or two people in squad? Also, same kind of question with demon thicket - will all mobs in the aoe be hf'd or roughly one of every four? I've also been debating about demon vs sage because of the spark effect. Coupled with rapid growth, you could achieve -45 channel with demon spark but aside from lysing, absorb soul, and aoe heal do we even have many slow channel skills? I have a wizard and most of our skills on wizard are 3 seconds, so channeling makes sense; however, many mystic moves are already fast such as break in the clouds, pet heal, gale force, and nv. o.o lookin for any advice I can get, only lvl 70 at this point and haven't learned craglord yet.

Umm, not to be rude... but isn't that a lvl 59 skill? And you're 70 already. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Screenshot thread:

• Ballistixz - Heavens Tear
    Ballistixz - Heavens Tear Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    some ppl skip cragglord and just get thicket and max other skills. at those levels u only need one or the other. cragglord is overkill on most things and quad sparking cragg/thicket is pointless/stupid.
  • agiya
    edited September 2011
    Options

I think the answer to your question is no we don't, aside from those skills.

This is a very good post, as it brought up issues I hadn't thought of.

I too would also like to know if when the group heal/purify kicks in does it purify everyone? Ive seem a 1/3 ratio for it kicking in posted, but nothing that detailed about it.

Absorb Soul has got to be the slowest skill we have, and even with gear bonus -15, and using rapid growth it still seems like it takes an amazingly long time.
  • Coral_blades - Dreamweaver
    Coral_blades - Dreamweaver Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    it depends on the class really, im a demon assassin but i chose demon out of the costs, a sage assassin imo is killer if u got lots of money, but thats only 1 class, if u want to see all classes heres the site http://www.ecatomb.net/pwi/skillpwi.php b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    signature picture thanks to Schznider<33 ty hun<333 b:cute
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Okay, I'm pretty sure proc's are just like crits, I have not gotten a chance to test... due to me being under leveled.

You will not crit on all the mobs while aoeing, Am I not correct? lol.

That's how I'm pretty sure demon procs will be, you'll purify 2/6 on average squad members.
    Youll amp 1/4 mobs, youll do etc etc.
  • PheosNyx - Sanctuary
    PheosNyx - Sanctuary Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Craglord requires you to go back into disaster after your fb is done, thus I am waiting to learn it on a bh.

N yea, that is a good point about the crits, Ty for the feedback. o.o
    Ling__Tong 101 bm ~ PheosNyx 103 wiz ~ Arande 100 HArcher ~ xXxKuro 100 barb ~ AnselTyme 101 cleric ~ lukeFONfabre 96 seeker ~ Tori_Anzu 90 mystic ~ KateiiHimura 95 veno ~ Artemaeus 58 psy. Playing since April 2009.