Improving my archer

Options
13»

Comments

• Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    About the only time I can think of sage barrage being useful is when soloing TM69. For TW you pretty much always want some kind of immunity for barrage or else you'll be stunned or interrupted. In most other non-solo PVE cases with barrage you'll be in a BB anyway.

Besides if a demon wants to match the survivability and DPS of sage barrage they can always swap out Jones Blessing for Omalley. Sage can swap blessings too for even higher durability and even lower DPS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    Vindis - Dreamweaver Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    About the only time I can think of sage barrage being useful is when soloing TM69. For TW you pretty much always want some kind of immunity for barrage or else you'll be stunned or interrupted. In most other non-solo PVE cases with barrage you'll be in a BB anyway.

Besides if a demon wants to match the survivability and DPS of sage barrage they can always swap out Jones Blessing for Omalley. Sage can swap blessings too for even higher durability and even lower DPS!

Well I agree with your point, and definitely agree that if BB is present Demon BoA surpasses sage in all ways, I do disagree with sage not having many uses.

It is pretty nice for soloing FC. It helps with tanking casters in TW with expel up. It helps if there is a mystic in squad as the only healer. Sure, WoG+BoA works wonders as well, but 33% reduction when it is active is still nice.
    Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

b:bye
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Sooo..

Spent 2x getting my 100 culti and both skills done. Also, decided to go LG vana.

2 questions,

Hat or Pants first?

After those 2, then what would you aim for?

Also, possibly decided to try and forge a Gold OHT m def neck with +dex and -chan on it. Would take a while, but would be quite nice. I currently have almost 4k p def unbuffed without a phys defense ornament (map 4 belt and a 3* +str -chan oht neck)
    Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

• Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Get pants first for sure.
  • Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    Hurrdurr - Lothranis Posts: 1,468 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I would say leggings first. After the hat probably then wrist and chest. In my opinion OHT boots are still superior.

A gold OHT Necklace is going to take over a hundred tries by itself, let alone an all resist with the modifiers you want. If you were looking for just 2* or 3* all resist -chan +dex/str (restat) it's probably more manageable. Don't forget if you do change to OHT necklace, you'll loose the +5% HP addon.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It helps with tanking casters in TW with expel up.

LOL... tanking casters with expel.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I would say leggings first. After the hat probably then wrist and chest. In my opinion OHT boots are still superior.

A gold OHT Necklace is going to take over a hundred tries by itself, let alone an all resist with the modifiers you want. If you were looking for just 2* or 3* all resist -chan +dex/str (restat) it's probably more manageable. Don't forget if you do change to OHT necklace, you'll loose the +5% HP addon.

Oh, I know I will lose the +5%. I mostly use my 3* -chan +str OHT neck atm. I think I have like 5.8kish with it? I can pull FC alot better with it, and tbh, expel and AD protect against most physical attacks. I'm still rocking 4k phys defense without a physical ornament on, so it is pretty nice. 8.5k p def buffed and 7k buffed m def.

Thinking about it I like the idea of going for chest and wrist next. Definitely legs and then hat first though.
    LOL... tanking casters with expel.

The expel part was mentioned to quell any worries about physical attackers while in BoA. 33% reduction from m atks and immunity to physical for 9 seconds > 0% reduction from m atks and immunity for 9 seconds. Common logic. Honestly, this should be given information not needing to be mentioned. Learn to read more before posting, or think, or possibly try to post something constructive for once. b:chuckle Only reason you were given a response is because of several redundant comments lately, so don't feel too special Kiyoshi xD

Retired from PWI.

• Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The expel part was mentioned to quell any worries about physical attackers while in BoA. 33% reduction from m atks and immunity to physical for 9 seconds > 0% reduction from m atks and immunity for 9 seconds. Common logic. Honestly, this should be given information not needing to be mentioned. Learn to read more before posting, or think, or possibly try to post something constructive for once. b:chuckle Only reason you were given a response is because of several redundant comments lately, so don't feel too special Kiyoshi xD

The only attacks directed at a barraging archer in TW are stuns, interrupts, and seals. The only way to counter that is to pop IG before barrage and chain it with AD. Sage reduction isn't going to cut it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The only attacks directed at a barraging archer in TW are stuns, interrupts, and seals. The only way to counter that is to pop IG before barrage and chain it with AD. Sage reduction isn't going to cut it.

In theory Asterelle, that is the way it should be. In practice however, one can oft times be targetted by a stray Wiz or Psy from a flank. Then again, maybe I'm one of the few that does the combo that you oft times recommend.

I recall in my last TW 2 wks ago I had a cleric randomly hitting me with Cyclone on my flank, I just ignored them and continued my barrage on the invoked barb killing everything else.

Many more examples could be provided, but I am certain you could create situations where more survivability is potentially beneficial.

Additionally, I am not saying anything negative about Demon BoA, it is quite nice. I am just saying Sage BoA has its uses. To deny that is to deny BB having a use with its damage reduction.

Retired from PWI.

• _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Well...I'm going to guess you aren't trying for full r9....so...

Something like this maybe? With this build you could go for r8 recast armor and try for like +crit and other items you like

Or...you could do this, with this you would have good hp and with buffs during TW you would be a very lethal force.

But these are just my opinions based on what your current gear looked like xD....plus I have no idea what your budget is like :>
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Well...I'm going to guess you aren't trying for full r9....so...

Something like this maybe? With this build you could go for r8 recast armor and try for like +crit and other items you like

Or...you could do this, with this you would have good hp and with buffs during TW you would be a very lethal force.

But these are just my opinions based on what your current gear looked like xD....plus I have no idea what your budget is like :>

Yeah ideally I'm aiming for something close to that 2nd build. Probably won't get those ornaments or Cape though. My current ones are pretty good, and I think I'll be alrite with map 4 belt and OHT gold neck. Started considering the LG orna insig neck as a more reasonable option compared to a +dex gold oht neck, not sure yet though. Still have plenty of time. My budget isn't really limited at all. I will keep improving gradually, never know what the game may bring.

r9 isn't in my budget plans at all really xD.

Currently, I have around 35mil, and as stated am aiming for LG 2nd cast pants. I'll probably farm some cannies for it next 2x and then buy the rest or something. Spent a good 85 mil over 2x on 100 skills, so now my focus is finally on gear since I am max skilled (for) now. Expansion soon will potentially change some priorities.

Retired from PWI.

• snufalufaguss
    snufalufaguss Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I recall in my last TW 2 wks ago I had a cleric randomly hitting me with Cyclone on my flank, I just ignored them and continued my barrage on the invoked barb killing everything else.

Sage BoA makes archers immune to sleep?
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Yeah ideally I'm aiming for something close to that 2nd build. Probably won't get those ornaments or Cape though. My current ones are pretty good, and I think I'll be alrite with map 4 belt and OHT gold neck. Started considering the LG orna insig neck as a more reasonable option compared to a +dex gold oht neck, not sure yet though. Still have plenty of time. My budget isn't really limited at all. I will keep improving gradually, never know what the game may bring.

r9 isn't in my budget plans at all really xD.

Currently, I have around 35mil, and as stated am aiming for LG 2nd cast pants. I'll probably farm some cannies for it next 2x and then buy the rest or something. Spent a good 85 mil over 2x on 100 skills, so now my focus is finally on gear since I am max skilled (for) now. Expansion soon will potentially change some priorities.

Ah, cool. Well I hope that you may eventually evolve into full r9 bow archer :)

Wish you luck with progressing the gear, and maybe you can show us a TW vid when you get towards your ideal gear :P
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Ah, cool. Well I hope that you may eventually evolve into full r9 bow archer :)

Wish you luck with progressing the gear, and maybe you can show us a TW vid when you get towards your ideal gear :P

Yeah I would like to make some vids if I get the time. I'd have to look into what programs are available, might ask a sin friend who posts alot of them if I get the chance.

Retired from PWI.

• _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Good good. Although I still laugh at sage skills I believe there needs to be more sage archer videos out there other than just Cheze and Lucy_Black.
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    One more thing, if you are funding your gear by "farming irl" rather than farming in game, wouldn't it be better to go with Rank 9? Isn't it still on sale?
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2012
    Options
    One more thing, if you are funding your gear by "farming irl" rather than farming in game, wouldn't it be better to go with Rank 9? Isn't it still on sale?

I don't really CS very much anymore. I have other things to spend money on. Like upgrading my bass rig.

Retired from PWI.

• Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

As the highest geared sage archer on this forum (pretty sure that is still the case)... my sage barrage has the highest survivability of anyone. And I can safely say that my barrage doesn't drop cause I am dead... it drops cause of one of the many status effects that cancel channeling.
    In theory Asterelle, that is the way it should be. In practice however, one can oft times be targetted by a stray Wiz or Psy from a flank. Then again, maybe I'm one of the few that does the combo that you oft times recommend.

You need to stop TWing against nincompoops.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2012
    Options
    As the highest geared sage archer on this forum (pretty sure that is still the case)... my sage barrage has the highest survivability of anyone. And I can safely say that my barrage doesn't drop cause I am dead... it drops cause of one of the many status effects that cancel channeling.

Yeah, its probably because I remember TWing in my 9x and being killed while in BoA, back before I had any real decent gears (TT90+4 wasn't bad, but sure wasn't end game).

A new strategy I started trying out with my brother is to run in, Vacuity Powder and BoA+Expel. Then my Wizard Brother uses Elemental Shell on me. Sometimes when I run in and BoA, I *run* in and BoA. This tends to cause a good distraction for the rest of my squad. One has to be creative when fighting against factions with a couple of r9s, especially when I don't have r9 myself.

I totally agree. Equinox has got boring. We only have one land, so we can't attack back and take DW port. Until they actually manage to beat us, or we get a land from Regen (doubtful) we are stuck with Swamp of Wraiths xD.

In my experience though TW tends to not play out as a perfect set of scenarios. This comes from experience against various factions (Kindrid vs :3 and EQ, and previously InTandem vs BC and Tempest).

Retired from PWI.

• Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options

It's not his fault that the majority of the server is composed of drooling morons.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It's not his fault that the majority of the server is composed of drooling morons.

quoted for truth b:surrender

Retired from PWI.