Whats YOUR opinion on spending real life money?

PopppyyP - Raging Tide
PopppyyP - Raging Tide Posts: 16 Arc User
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
Hey guys b:laugh

(Im not too sure if this would be the right place, so move it if needed!)

Well I've been wondering recently what everyone elses views are on spending real life money, on a game, such as purchasing zen.
I know that a lot of people would see it as wasted money, whilst some would see it as not a problem, as you're spending on something you enjoy.
I for one, see it as not too much of a problem, because you're free to spend your earned cash however YOU want, and I have no problem with supporting games :P, and I have some spare cash so its okay.

What are your views on this? Do you purchase zen? If not why?
Im bored so would love to read your opinions b:victory
Post edited by PopppyyP - Raging Tide on

Comments

• JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    The answer is subjective.

When I started I liked the game, I had no issue shelling out tons of money for weird items ike mounts, wings, and sharing stuff with rl friends who also played but weren't as financially well off as I had been. I felt like anything I put that much time into and enjoy can also have some $ toward it, much like whenever going out places. Now, I don't feel this game is worth my money. I could go over all the reasons but they've been addressed so often by posts before, and since nothing will change, speaking with one's wallet is going to have a much larger effect than complaining on the forums, hence why it's been over 6 months since I put in a single USD.

People also take advantage of it being a free game. They don't want to pay $ because they don't have to, and because it's easy to make coin using one's head. There are some who only complain and they tend to be the ones either jealous of what others have, or lazy and want their **** handed to them on a silver platter.

Either way, if you find it worth it, no one can argue that, just don't do what I've heard a few people doing, which is spending money one shouldn't be or doesn't have.. on a free game no less.
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I don't think it's a waste if you've got the money to spare and you enjoy playing the game. I don't really get why people look down on cash shoppers... it's not as if spending hours farming for something makes you a better/more competent person than someone who chose to save time and use $ instead...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • PopppyyP - Raging Tide
    edited July 2011
    I agree with both your answers.

JanusZeal - I completely understand what you're saying. I would never spend money I DONT have on a game :S The only reason Im doing it is Its the summer holidays, dont need to pay for junk at college, so hey why not.
    I agree with what you said about people who complain too. Its pretty plain they are jealous, but thats the way life goes in my opinion. I dislike people who act out of jealousy because they want something for nothing. People who buy Gold have usually earnt their money to do so, so should be able to do whatever they want, free of QQers.

Dyskrasia - I agree. I dont look any differently to people who farm themselves to people who purchase their own gold, but when they look down on the way other people might do things is when I don't like it as much.

I'll admit Im a fairly new player to most people's standards,and yes I will probably realise that spending my pounds is worthless in the end, but as I enjoy it right now, whats the harm? XD
  • lyonitus
    lyonitus Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    For a lot of us this is our hobby. I have to be home most of the time so this is what I like to call my Golf, by that I mean, sure its a stupid game but I really enjoy it.

Being that this is a hobby for some of us its worth spending some money on.
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Whatever floats your boat, or sinks it in some cases b:laugh
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
    edited July 2011
    lyonitus wrote: »
    For a lot of us this is our hobby. I have to be home most of the time so this is what I like to call my Golf, by that I mean, sure its a stupid game but I really enjoy it.

Being that this is a hobby for some of us its worth spending some money on.
    It's funny you mention the golf thing, because much like PW, I enjoyed golf more when I sucked at it (used to go golfing at my last job with coworkers before work, then we drank somewhat heavily for lunch). It was fun doing my first rebirths, or TT's, or FF's, and getting killed not knowing what to do, and learning, as well as slicing/shanking a golf ball on the driving range over the netting and into the fairways nearby where others were playing the holes.
  • PopppyyP - Raging Tide
    edited July 2011
    Whatever floats your boat, or sinks it in some cases b:laugh

By sinks it, do you refer to sinking money wise? XD Cos Im a teen with a part time job, money sinkage isn't really an issue.

And to the golf thing, thats funny. I know what you mean about preffering stuff when you're rubbish at it. Now that I've learned more about PW, Im starting to enjoy it slightly, not much but slightly less.
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I don't spend rl cash anymore, and I never was a real heavy cashshopper anyway...

I don't look down on ppl who choose to spend their cash here because they keep the game free for me to enjoy :)
  • joor
    joor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    mmm I don't see any difference between paying money for this game or spending lots of money on consoles and games which both are pixels anyway lol xD so do whatever you want.
  • PopppyyP - Raging Tide
    edited July 2011
    I don't spend rl cash anymore, and I never was a real heavy cashshopper anyway...

I don't look down on ppl who choose to spend their cash here because they keep the game free for me to enjoy :)

Thats a good way of looking at it, Its a good thing the game is free. Alot less people would play otherwise :\.
    joor wrote: »
    mmm I don't see any difference between paying money for this game or spending lots of money on consoles and games which both are pixels anyway lol xD so do whatever you want.

Thats exactly what I've said before! Its all the same, just in a different context haha.
  • swgs
    swgs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    joor wrote: »

there is a difference, you spend a fixed amount on consoles games. what you can get by spending $50 in this game? not even one piece of armor, and as soon as you get what you want, the better one is around the corner. it is a never ending in this game.

I do not think there are anything wrong to spend real money in this game, as long as you do not over spend your money. spend some real money to save time can make the game more enjoyable. but spend your car payment to get a r9 set is big no at least to me.
    edited July 2011
    swgs wrote: »
    there is a difference, you spend a fixed amount on consoles games
    You do? I suppose I must have imagined all these DLC's and mods then..
  • PopppyyP - Raging Tide
    edited July 2011
    You do? I suppose I must have imagined all these DLC's and mods then..

Spending a car payment on a game would be plain stupid. I think its okay if it's spare cash. No doubt a lot of people probably have gone to lengths that far though o_o
  • Lythianaa - Dreamweaver
    Lythianaa - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,307 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I used to spend a bit....but realized I shouldn't when it was too late. So yea...now I don't spend any. No need to anymore b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you so much ForsakenX for the sig b:cute
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I'm 100% F2P.

But I guess spending a few dollars here and there for some important stuff like flyers/mounts is alright,.

But if you're seriously going to pay a lot i.e. $50 +, its much better to use that money to buy a good P2P MMO where everyone is equal. There's a reason PWI is called a "micro transaction" MMORPG

INB4 some heavy CSer starts flaming the F2P players and gets on his/her high horse and how we should be thanking them..etc. I've seen that happen in another really old thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • TreeHugs - Harshlands
    TreeHugs - Harshlands Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    my view on spending money is kind of related to going to a theme park for a day.

you pay to go to a theme park, ride the rides, you pay for the food there, and enjoy your time spent there. then, once its over it is just a memory.

you pay to have fashion in the game or rank 8, whatever you want. you wear it, you use it, whatever your buying. its been applied to you now and you can use it for as long as you play your character and as long as the game is still running (which is for years usually).

now im not going to go into the fact that going to a theme park is a physical activity and playing an online game isnt, but the point of this comparison is that in both ways you are paying for entertainment and enjoyment.

if you pay money for the game you enjoy, to buy something you can enjoy having in the game, then i see nothing wrong with SUPPORTING the game you enjoy. after all, if no one bought items in game with real money (and i mean if NO one did it) then the game would shut down fast.

also, look at the other pay to play games. they have tons of players on their games, and these players probably spend 10-15$ a month to play it. a casual player for PW would probably spend less than that on a monthly basis.

now, i personally have spent money on this game as well as other games i play. i try to do offers first before buying gold with real money for what i need, if possible. but, i have my limits. i usually only spend about $10 a month. im not going to ever buy rank 9 because thats just way too expensive for me lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TreeHugs - Lv. 101 Demon Rank 8 Mystic
    vixter - Lv. 101 Demon Heavy Rank 8 Venomancer
  • __Jhuv - Sanctuary
    __Jhuv - Sanctuary Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I've never spent even a euro/dollar on here and i will never do. Not because i find it wrong but just because i find it pointeless and i dont need it.
    I think it's not wrong spending FEW cash on an online game you like, but you have to have spare cash.. cause real life comes first :)
    [SIGPIC]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/jhuvsign.png[/SIGPIC]
    __Jhuv - Mystic
    __Hysper - Cleric
    __Hysen - Venomancer
  • Xyleena - Heavens Tear
    Xyleena - Heavens Tear Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    my view on spending money is kind of related to going to a theme park for a day.

you pay to go to a theme park, ride the rides, you pay for the food there, and enjoy your time spent there. then, once its over it is just a memory.

you pay to have fashion in the game or rank 8, whatever you want. you wear it, you use it, whatever your buying. its been applied to you now and you can use it for as long as you play your character and as long as the game is still running (which is for years usually).

now im not going to go into the fact that going to a theme park is a physical activity and playing an online game isnt, but the point of this comparison is that in both ways you are paying for entertainment and enjoyment.

if you pay money for the game you enjoy, to buy something you can enjoy having in the game, then i see nothing wrong with SUPPORTING the game you enjoy. after all, if no one bought items in game with real money (and i mean if NO one did it) then the game would shut down fast.

also, look at the other pay to play games. they have tons of players on their games, and these players probably spend 10-15$ a month to play it. a casual player for PW would probably spend less than that on a monthly basis.

now, i personally have spent money on this game as well as other games i play. i try to do offers first before buying gold with real money for what i need, if possible. but, i have my limits. i usually only spend about $10 a month. im not going to ever buy rank 9 because thats just way too expensive for me lol.

many pay to play games also have cash shops as well.... Where you can spend extra RL money and get their overly prices pixels too .... Like Mounts and armor bonuses and what not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Characters:
    Xyleena | 102 Demon Cleric | Radiance Faction : Main
    Gwendolynne | 101 Sage Venomancer | Heavens Tear
    Delecroix | 101 Demon Assassin | Heavens Tear
    Anatoxin | 8x Future Sage Psychic | Heavens Tear
    Diva | 92 Sage Blademaster | Dreamweaver : Retired
  • TreeHugs - Harshlands
    TreeHugs - Harshlands Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    many pay to play games also have cash shops as well.... Where you can spend extra RL money and get their overly prices pixels too .... Like Mounts and armor bonuses and what not.

oh yea didnt really think of that too. well, i never played a pay to play game actually xD so i guess then, if a casual spender in a pay to play game was compared to a casual spender in a free to play game, then the pay to play-er would be spending the monthly payment+cash shop prices = a way lot more than a casual spender in a free to play. meaning, another reason why i dont find any harm in supporting PWI, but still, with limits of course xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TreeHugs - Lv. 101 Demon Rank 8 Mystic
    vixter - Lv. 101 Demon Heavy Rank 8 Venomancer
  • Graviora - Dreamweaver
    Graviora - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Here's how I see; go ahead and cash shop. Its your money (or whoever's money you're using.) You can do whatever you like with it. Much of my real life money is spent on my parrots; getting them toys, food, etc. I also spend my money on clothes, jewelry, dying my hair, makeup, and on this game.

You all are strangers. Why does it matter to any of you where I put my money?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael - Harshlands
    Michael - Harshlands Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    If you decide to cashshop do it for the right reason, to have fun, honestly everything else is irrelevant its a game we play to have fun and if you arent having fun then leave lol.

But yeah if you have the spare cash and have stuff you want to spend it on that will increase your enjoyment of the game go for it :). Just remember never be afraid to leave once it stops being fun, some people sink insane amounts into games like this without even realising and continue playing once its become a chore rather than the pure simple enjoyment that a game is supposed to be.
  • NiightmareXz - Harshlands
    NiightmareXz - Harshlands Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Hm...
    I hate the idea of actually paying for literally nothing, lol. we hardly get any fixes and just more **** content coming and coming, but on the other hand, I don't have all day to farm for my coins or watch the market. I can't even leave a catshop up because it's a shared computer. If I want to play the game comfortably, I have to spend the money. Granted, I don't spend much more than 20 a month. I feel dirty about it. But anyway, I earn my coins one way or another; some people earn it all in game, I earn mine by working in real life.

Btw I 100% agree with Grav.
    Every other month I shell out like 100$ on my babies. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ˙buoɹʇs ǝq ןן,ı ʇɐɥʇ ɟןǝsʎɯ ןןǝʇ ı os
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    This thread just kinda sounds like you are just fishing for people to agree with you, tbh. At any rate, while I do think that cash shoppers should have some small advantage over other players; I think the gap is a little ridiculous and that it's ultimately gonna bite PWI in the butt. Simply because having everyone make farming machines so they never have to purchase with PWI again is a stupid long term business plan even if its a short term cash cow. They are going to need to think of long term plans on how to keep their game afloat or it will eventually die the way many pay 2 win games did. But let me be clear, I don't think the game is dead at the moment and all the insistence that it is both silly and premature. That being said, I don't really care what people spend their money on. It's really none of my business what a random stranger chooses to purchase with the money they earned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • LovesTragedy - Lost City
    LovesTragedy - Lost City Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I'm all for it. If you wanna play free, thats your own decision, same with paying. I spend a pretty decent amount on this game, simply because working a full time + more job makes it nearly impossible to have time to play this game and really have fun. I dont find farming hours and hours after a full day of work fun. So I cash shop about 20-50 bucks every 2 weeks, which I use mostly for in game coin. Sometimes I'll blow it on packs, but I'm trying to ween myself off of that again lol

This way I have time to do the only thing I REALLY enjoy on this game: PvP, without spending hours and hours trying to save enough money for a charm and my next set of gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chars:
    CptMaggots 101 sage R8/NV Seeker
    LovesTragedy 100 demon R8 Cleric

~Finally quit this god forsaken game~
    Enjoy the rest of the downward spiral. See you in SWtOR b:bye
  • Aeyisha - Lost City
    Aeyisha - Lost City Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    If he/she wants to, go ahead. It's not like we can stop them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |=>theempire.ucoz.com<=|
    Where wizards pull catas and barbs are nearly extinct...
  • Halt - Harshlands
    Halt - Harshlands Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    If you have the financial stability to do it, then go for it. It becomes a problem when you put yourself in debts or you cannot do other things in your life, because of spending money on this game, but thats just my opinion. Speak to the people that got r8 pre sale, your investments in this game are never safe. Go on a trip to europe or wherever instead of spending that r9.
    Unban me.
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    i dont really care, as long the amount people spend on this game is moderate.

people spend 15 bucks per month or week..thats ok. you go out and have fun for same amount of money if not more per weekend.

some on the other hand spend 200 bucks per month ...thats dumb. you better go off to p2p game, since they have better graphic, gameplay (at least fair), service.

Some people just tend to forget...its still pixel. spend it at least in a good product. pwi is just an average product. Its like i would spend 200 bucks on an ice cream. One day the server gets shut down and all your money and your chars will get wiped. PWI wont exist forever.

I saw people almost loosing their houses cause they had debts at bank through PWI. I saw people, who almost went to jail cause of debts made through PWI. I saw kids charging 2k bucks and get nothing than tokens. This is rediculous...i rather go pay 14$ in p2p game, where i get same threatment as others, where we all have same chance to get good gear, where we are all equal.

PWI is like a huge casino, just without age restriction. Play the game moderate, but dont go overboard.

PS: stopped charging money 2009, when the first packs came out.
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I've spent money on gaming and will continue to do so. I've bought about $50 worth of riot points in the last year for LoL,because the company takes an interest in the game and don't just milk it for money. New content is added and bugs are fixed. I enjoy getting new skins and I support the company.

PWI on the other hand..... I've never spent a dime on this game and I never will. The company that runs it has consistently shown that they don't give a damn about us. New content is extremely rare and when we do get it, incredibly mediocre. Bug fixes are nonexistant. Features are promised and then never delivered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Cashshop smart.

Don't get addicted and be responsible. Don't let PW drive you into a frenzy of blowing money on everything.

I have a friend that regrets CSing, but he's sadly addicted to it when PW throws something new out....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    I've spent money on gaming and will continue to do so. I've bought about $50 worth of riot points in the last year for LoL,because the company takes an interest in the game and don't just milk it for money. New content is added and bugs are fixed. I enjoy getting new skins and I support the company.

Yeah, but LoL is so popular that they dont really need to have really powerful stuff in the store to make people buy stuff more.

Less popular games make their cash shops insanely overpowered, because they have to make up for the low player base.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|