Need some advice and unburdening - did I fail as a cleric?

Options
13»

Comments

• JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    LOL how coincidental. Just completed an FF with a bunch of overzealous sins who wanted to prove who was stronger, and a barb who was determined to do his job at Decaying Fragrance.

Now, you all know that Frag will debuff first before attacking whoever has aggro, so imagine how tough it was to purify them. I didn't even chat in squad, kept my eyes peeled on the status icons to see who is getting debuffed, and quickly clicking and purifying.

At the end, they were going all about how they were powerful because they did this and that and blah blah and I didn't wanna say anything because, I know that if I wasn't vigilant at purifying, they'd be all dead and I only have to focus on the barb. But it was an interesting challenge. I mean, it made me realize how important it is to be a good cleric.

But yes, all problematicpeople are sins, or have sins as mains, but not all sins are problematic. Seriously. Having sins make them think like a 3 year old and lose all sense of DD and aggro control. That's the mentality for everything anyway. Quick FFs, quick Nirvana, quick everything.

These people should try playing a cleric. Then again, they'd prolly cause a squad wipe.
    Since an overbundance of males play the game, it's often an e-peen battle of who does the most damage (look in the sin/bm/barb forums about cookie cutter builds), but in your case I'm happy for paying attention because it's badly needed for Nirvana when aggro switches around madly without even needing to have the badass types.

When playing my second cleric I was far more attuned to purifying everyone who happened to have aggro when Fragrance debuffed, however, because of the attitude surrounding them, I purposely let them die. Why? There's a very important lesson involving team play. Let them solo the instance if they want to be bad-asses. Until then, they still are reliant upon heals, and therefore, they play by the healer's rules too. A pro cleric has to always be in charge of the squad to keep people from being stupid and, as always, causing a squad-wipe and/or killing the cleric and forcing them to town.
  • ILubby - Raging Tide
    ILubby - Raging Tide Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Sins who aoe o.0 I rarely see sins who use their aoe skills.....more like....0 do they even know they have aoe (apart from my hubby lol)

What others said mostly > no you didn't do anything wrong, **** happens at bubble boss, their fault they are not paying attention EVEN to their own hp bar. And fail luring is fail, don't tell me you tried your best when you don't know how aggro works. /rq squad XD
  • QueenOfNukes - Heavens Tear
    QueenOfNukes - Heavens Tear Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    What others said mostly > no you didn't do anything wrong, **** happens at bubble boss, their fault they are not paying attention EVEN to their own hp bar. And fail luring is fail, don't tell me you tried your best when you don't know how aggro works. /rq squad XD

Big, big thank you, and an even bigger hug. (:
    "Beware of the Queen, she'll nuke our heads off if we don't listen to her. b:surrender" - Devereaux

QueenOfNukes was created on 16th June 2011.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I lately realized something else funny.

If you see a sage sin: He knows what he's doing.
    if you see a demon sin: Check his gear. Full weapon refines and the rest ****? He's going to die by stealing aggro.

This especially reminds me to a while ago in BH89. Both instances have mobs that kite. Brimstone has Ranger's, which also aoe and hurt, and Eden has poison mobs.
    Either way, both suck and will keep running until you freeze them.

Now sins have this very awesome skill that freezes a mob for 9 (!) seconds. This lasts SO long, that after the mob can move again, they forgot how to and will simply stand still.

Now the senerio most of you have probably seen over and over again (for those who have never been in that BH, you will see it).
    Mr. epic Epeen sin runs up to a kiting mob, and sparks. Said kiting mob runs away and keeps stacking poison/aoeing.
    You'll see the same thing with BM's that only use fists. They have this awesome stun skill they can still use with fists (roar of the pride), but they rather keep running after the mob.

It get's even worse when said sin/BM get's to lvl 99/100. Once they get 5aps, they seem to magicly unlearn ALL skills exept for demon spark
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Very true Sirrobert

And it's really sad. Everyone has the mentality that APS helps runs go smoother and I admit, if done right, APS is really powerful. But if players actually put together APS together with the skills of their class, only then can runs become truly powerful and quick. Everyone just seems to focus on sparking and whacking mobs to their deaths that they forgot a lot of important things that is critical to the game.

And we don't just see this with APS. Plvled clerics don't know how to use the various heals. I was on my barb with a cleric who didn't even know that he could revive a dead player, how depressing is that? Same goes for wizards who don't learn their class. It's really sad.

Unfortunately, when mishaps happen, all the blame is directed to clerics because we're the ones with the ability to keep these idiots alive.
    "Beware of the Queen, she'll nuke our heads off if we don't listen to her. b:surrender" - Devereaux

• ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options

^what he said...
    I had few weeks ago Brim. We know Rangers hurts there, especially to AA users. Our Cleric died cause of lvl102 Sin. Who just randomly runs in and starts to kill. NO AOE. NO AGRO. Then at last boss Fats, we all waiting. I want to pull the boss...this idiot seriously runs in and Sparks. All mobs AOE and kill both clerics instantly (they died like 8 times or more on this run). Obviously lvl102 Sin doesnt know anything about the mobs or instances. Seen prolly only FC from inside.b:bye
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Gol_D_Chad - Sanctuary
    Gol_D_Chad - Sanctuary Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ^what he said...
    I had few weeks ago Brim. We know Rangers hurts there, especially to AA users. Our Cleric died cause of lvl102 Sin. Who just randomly runs in and starts to kill. NO AOE. NO AGRO. Then at last boss Fats, we all waiting. I want to pull the boss...this idiot seriously runs in and Sparks. All mobs AOE and kill both clerics instantly (they died like 8 times or more on this run). Obviously lvl102 Sin doesnt know anything about the mobs or instances. Seen prolly only FC from inside.b:bye

lol i remember a similar instance in brim except it was a barb who aggroed many of the rangers(not just at fats, but the ones circling the hill for some reason too n_n). i was the only cleric and i was 90x that time so i was like O.o for a second and then i holy pathed to get out of the range of the AOE as he was rounding them up. and then IHed a few times when i thought he aggroed enough to save him of course cuz i was gutsy. And when they were coming for me, the other DDers thankfully got them and I Aoe healed/Ihed/wellspringed everyone and it was good:P no one died.

Yeah but if a sin aggroed all those mobs, he'd probably have died unless he was lvl 100+ and knew his stuff. cuz i've ran with some really pro lvl 100+ sins b4 who just don't die and usually try their best to save the cleric o.o i guess u just had bad luck finding a sin like that.
    Sailing this perfect world for treasure and Glory. This pirate awaits adventure and this is my story. (OP overdoseb:victory)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jiq
    jiq Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    First: Going to FCC without Barb under lvl90 is suicide unless the sins / BMs have godly armor (which I doubt).

Second: 2nd boss is pretty hard, especially if the Cleric doesn't have enough HP. You gotta be somewhat lucky at this boss, I remember it used to hate me, I often got bubble'd 2 times in a row (instant death ofc). Best thing to do is quickly IH everyone and try to keep it up on the whole squad so you / they will still have some heal if you / they get bubble'd.

Third: Your squad was full of idiots, don't blame yourself. (: I assume they were all idiot power lvlers who know nothing about Clerics and heal aggro.
    edited July 2011
    Options
    jiq wrote: »
    Third: Your squad was full of idiots, don't blame yourself. (: I assume they were all idiot power lvlers who know nothing about Clerics and heal aggro.

Thank you so much.

I was afraid of going for FFs after that particular run, but ever since then, I realized that the squad was uber fail. The many runs I've gone with friends, I've never had problems at 2nd boss. Purify, wellspring for DDs, and IH for tank and everyone gets through alive. They stay alive. Even once I was bubbled and stunned back to back, no one died.

I just needed a good run to remind me that it was not my fault and I finally got that. Of course, sometimes, going with friends, they suggest crazy stuff, like wizard lures, which leads to an instant casualty, but that was done for fun and everyone enjoyed a little laugh.

But somehow, I'm so scared of running into them in game. I won't know whether to be angry, or to be scared that they've hurled criticisms about me with their gang of stupid friends. It's kinda scary sometimes. I guess I take things a little too personally.

However, I did learn a lot from that run, and from posting my experience here. So thank you! :D

• Mekkhala - Lost City
    Mekkhala - Lost City Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You should have left already at second boss. How did you get a Tough Diabolic Shocktrooper with all those DDs in party? Just that should have been enough to realize the party was bad news. The fact that they couldn't even see that you where slept/occult iced makes it even worse. Those icons are pretty easy to remember and recognize.

Anyway dont you have Abso Domain on your genie? If someone lures 20 mobs w/o aggro thats how you survive. Just getting 4-5 sec of immune is usually enough for the other DDs to get aggro from the mobs. I always domain big pulls if i dont trust the BM to stun in time and if the guy pulling seems to be bad or lagging. Can also wait to open BB until the last sec. Use Plume shell, 79 skill, Immune/reduction pot than open just as the mobs arrive, it will save your butt to if the mobs aggro you.

A lot of people playing clerics are to nice and timid anyway, specially females, thats the problem. You need to be more bishy and dominant towards the party. Start lecture and criticize from start if there are idiots in party. Tell them you will leave if they cant play properly and keep putting you in unnecessary danger. You wont get blamed if things go wrong later on, if you already established that you know better than everyone else lol.

I agree. Clerics with dominant attitudes get more respect from the party. If Im in a party that needs heals I see it as MY party. And they're my ducklings. And I'll be dammed if some dumba.ss goes and wipes my squad. So I'm more than happy to call people out on
    whatever stupid things they do.

Oh and here is a tip I learned from udeadyet on Lost City. Jump on top of the NPC at big room and put BB up there. The mobs can still hit you, but it takes them a few seconds longer which gives the DD more time to get aggro.