Pack Attack: What is it killing?

Options
Sympsy - Dreamweaver
Sympsy - Dreamweaver Posts: 46 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
So we have like 3 packs on sale now, we had a zhen sale this last weekend and usually what happens with a zhen sale is gold prices go down. This was not the case for Dreamweaver this weekend, gold price remained roughly the same and we've had fluctuations of gold being put for sale. We've had instances this past week where there is very little gold being put for sale in auction house. So on to the main point, what do you think these barrages of pack sales are killing? Is it killing the people who usually go out of their way to charge money for the game or is it killing the people who have to grind out for that coin to buy the gold? Is this semi-shortage of gold just due to a lot of people buying gold or are those charging gold just tired of putting money into this game? Discuss b:bored

And please note: I am not qqing about the high or non-moving gold price I'm just curious about this supply thing and partially wondering if this problem has just been growing over time.
Post edited by Sympsy - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It was mothers day weekend. People weren't playing as much/charging as much.

Give it a few days to recover... Those flowers are expensive...
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    we have 4 packs on sale dont forget the rider packs. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I didn't see a decline on gold price last zen sale either. I think just not that many buy zen to sell as much as they did. Or if they do they keep the prices high because it is more profitable that way. If I charged gold to sell, I wouldn't discount it either. It's still my hard earned real life money, and I would want the most out of it.
  • Letmeblossom - Dreamweaver
    Letmeblossom - Dreamweaver Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I spent about 50$ in mother's day gifts... Not that I would charge fifty for the game in one transaction, but for a lot of people that is the norm, where mine is 10$. I think the problem was it being mother's day, and some people really lavish their mothers on that day. Other than that, maybe it's just getting to the point where no one wants to spend money on what they deem a "broken game" anymore.
  • hines86ward
    hines86ward Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Personally I can overlook every single problem on the long, sad list of problems caused by these Pack sales, except for one. The implementation of a Cash Shop such as this is clearly for the purpose of getting players hooked (or for those who choose to be honest with themselves, "addicted") on the game to spend their real money. The game is free to play, most of us know what we're getting in to when we start playing. It's a legitimate way to run the game's economy, but that doesn't change the fact that it exploits people's addictive tendencies (to whatever degree they are). Throwing a constant flow of Packs into the mix, however, seems to be just a little too dirty. A Pack is a thing that's designed specifically to exploit one's tendency to gamble. There are many reasons gambling is frowned upon by most, specifically that it taps into a sensitive characteristic held by a great many people. It truly seems like this game's staff aren't really giving a flying hoot at all.
  • Naturion - Dreamweaver
    Naturion - Dreamweaver Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It truly seems like this game's staff aren't really giving a flying hoot at all.

And yet nothing is even getting done about it .... we've had so many pack sales that i i dont even remember when gold was att 700k anymore, at this rate gold will never even go down anymore
    edited May 2011
    Options
    And yet nothing is even getting done about it .... we've had so many pack sales that i i dont even remember when gold was att 700k anymore, at this rate gold will never even go down anymore

Gold prices must be following gasoline prices.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If only PWI was more mom accessible, then I could get both the satisfaction of buying my mom a present AND giving the greedy people at PWE my money! It's a win-win!!
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If only PWI was more mom accessible, then I could get both the satisfaction of buying my mom a present AND giving the greedy people at PWE my money! It's a win-win!!

I'm supposed to be your MILF, where's my present?
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm supposed to be your MILF, where's my present?

It's in my pants, why don't you come and get it? b:shy
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's in my pants, why don't you come and get it? b:shy

Already done.
    wtg on derailing nii D:
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    One of the problems I'm currently seeing on Dreamweaver is an artificially inflated bubble on certain pack items: WT-LG, LGI-W, CoFS, WMB etc.

Primarily I'm seeing a 20 to 30 mil price increase akin to what they were a year ago on those items.

Hopefully it's just an isolated incident and prices will restablize. If not, it could be a sign of server inactivity (i.e. not as many new players joining).
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
    edited May 2011
    Options
    One of the problems I'm currently seeing on Dreamweaver is an artificially inflated bubble on certain pack items: WT-LG, LGI-W, CoFS, WMB etc.

Primarily I'm seeing a 20 to 30 mil price increase akin to what they were a year ago on those items.

Hopefully it's just an isolated incident and prices will restablize. If not, it could be a sign of server inactivity (i.e. not as many new players joining).

Yeah. I wanted to buy a WTLG from a friend because I figured they sold for around the same price as on HL, which was like 30mil at best before I left. I asked Zan what the price was on it and he said like 50mil. It just completely dumbfounded me. There's no way i'm paying 20mil more than what the price should be for -.05 interval. Another thing is DoD/DoT. On HL they sold for around 2mil, 3mil if you were lucky to sell that high, before I left. Here, I have seen them being bought for upwards 6mil. b:surrender
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yeah. I wanted to buy a WTLG from a friend because I figured they sold for around the same price as on HL, which was like 30mil at best before I left. I asked Zan what the price was on it and he said like 50mil. It just completely dumbfounded me. There's no way i'm paying 20mil more than what the price should be for -.05 interval. Another thing is DoD/DoT. On HL they sold for around 2mil, 3mil if you were lucky to sell that high, before I left. Here, I have seen them being bought for upwards 6mil. b:surrender

That's just it. 50mil for the Wing trophy is the "normal" price for them on DW. The past week they've been 70mil+. Same for the Weapon Insignias. Those are the prices they were a year ago.

CoFS and WMB's are usually 65mil, but lately have increased to 85-90mil. Again...year old prices.

Either way they die
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    CoFS has always been about 80-90 mill. WMB was about 45.
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    CoFS has always been about 80-90 mill. WMB was about 45.

For quite a while I saw them at 65. I'll just take your word for it though. I don't deal with pack items due to ****ty luck at trying to obtain them. :/

Either way they die
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Options

My best guess would be supply and demand. On HL, more people are CSing to stay up to date with the best stuff, so more packs are being infused into the market. DW doesn't have forced PvP, so people a lot of times are fine with mold gear/3* gear and don't bother buying packs to get the "uber" gears.
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    My best guess would be supply and demand. On HL, more people are CSing to stay up to date with the best stuff, so more packs are being infused into the market. DW doesn't have forced PvP, so people a lot of times are fine with mold gear/3* gear and don't bother buying packs to get the "uber" gears.

LOL wut? I'm sorry but DW is competitive in TW. No one in a respectful TW faction has 3* or mold gears. And a lot of people even in smaller factions are packs addicts. If anything I think DW maybe just have either more demand or less supply for LGWT or people are farming it via lunar trophy mode on HL. (less demand) As for DoD or DoT, DoD became combinable and so did DoT. It used to be like 6 garnet gems to make a DoD but PWI changed it to 3 DoT to make a DoD. Also DoD are HIGH demand item, everyone and everyone is looking to shard with them. That accounts for price increase.
  • Asone - Raging Tide
    Asone - Raging Tide Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    At the moment for RT, prices for gold are the highest I've ever seen them.

The highest being at 1,199,000.

The lowest being at 1,148,000.

These prices set as of 5/11/2011, 10:00pm server time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired PWI veteran. 06/26/2010-2014.
  • Samurai_Jack - Dreamweaver
    Samurai_Jack - Dreamweaver Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I bet pack attack killed a lot of PWI players me as well I hate em! "Drinks from baby bottle"
    Waaa
    Long ago in a distant land,I Aku the shape shifting master of gods
    unleashed an unspeakable evil, but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me.Before the final blow was stroked I do opened a portal in time and send him into the future were my evil is grown.Now the fool seems to return to the past and undo the future that is Aku.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sthenith - Dreamweaver
    Sthenith - Dreamweaver Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I don't know how it works on PvP servers, but some things i do know on DW :

1. packs came out > Gold price went up, that's usual.

2. Players who made a lot of money ingame with double drops are now using that same cash to either make more profit OR invest in packs (selling/opening).

Result :

Because there are a LOT of people opening packs, it also shows more "Duke" announcing of ToBL, thus giving the "impression" that there are a lot of drops, which makes people buy more/open more packs AND increases the gold price accordingly.

Those who sell gold make a LOT of cash > they are willing to pay more for "good" or "rare" items like mounts/wings/Capes/scroll of tome....etc etc, therefore increasing the price of those items, which in turn makes players buy/open more packs because they get the impression that one drop from packs may make them more cash.

A simple example : if you have citrine gems which sell usually for 20 mill, but you can see them selling for 25+ mill, you will also want that much for it. So, prices increase.

And because those prices increase, you get the impression that packs can give you a lot of profit when a good item drops >increasing yet again, the demand for packs > increase in gold sale > increase in gold price >increase in ingame price of "good" items.

It is what you might call a "vicious circle" : "a complex of events that reinforces itself through a feedback loop toward greater instability".

Adding one last thing :

A number of players, because of this instability, have already taken a "break" from the game, or have left alltogether. New players are very rarely infused into the server (new accounts/toons = usually "alts"), thus making the playerbase split more and more into 2 main groups :

- those that buy gold > infusing more cash into the game > increasing prices

- those that don't > those usually move over to the first group or "give up" in some kind of way, either temporary or permanently.

The longer packs stay on the "menu", the more of the second group will leave. I've seen several of my friends goto either other games, like FW (me included for the most part), or plainly "give up" alltogether on pwi. Very few , and i do mean wayyyyy less, have spend more cash on the game.
  • __Kikyo__ - Lost City
    __Kikyo__ - Lost City Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    gold is at 1.2mill highest i saw was 1.5mill in lost city.might as well make it 3mill each everyone here is rich rich richb:chuckle
  • __Astarte__ - Dreamweaver
    __Astarte__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    What's this sale killing? My brain cells. Seriously...packs never left. How can they be back?

It's like PWI thinks we all have Altzheimer's and will go 'OMG THANK GOD PACKS ARE ON SALE AGAIN!!! BUYBUYBUYBUYBUY!!!'

...What makes me sad at that point is realizing that their idiotic marketing scheme will probably work. >_>
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    *Checks Dakuken's gear* Hmm... Yellow... Yellow.. Yellow, yellow yellow, orange... more yellow.. Nope, no three stars, sorry Kritty.

Lower levels may have three stars or whatever, but the same can be said for any server. At higher levels pretty much everyone has decent gear, you very seldom see three star gear at end game even on a "carebear" server. Please, come back to DW for a day and go white named so I can show you just how "caring" I am b:cute
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    *Checks Dakuken's gear* Hmm... Yellow... Yellow.. Yellow, yellow yellow, orange... more yellow.. Nope, no three stars, sorry Kritty.

Lower levels may have three stars or whatever, but the same can be said for any server. At higher levels pretty much everyone has decent gear, you very seldom see three star gear at end game even on a "carebear" server. Please, come back to DW for a day and go white named so I can show you just how "caring" I am b:cute

He'll just drop packs... And white NPC gear.

Nothing worth it, really...
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
    edited May 2011
    Options

Well you did have a 3* helm til we got that Warsoul.
    and you are "caring" ... but maybe in a different way

b:avoid
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Well you did have a 3* helm til we got that Warsoul.
    and you are "caring" ... but maybe in a different way

b:avoid

That 3 star had like... 100 HP less than a Warsoul, and I had better things to buy for the money instead of worrying about that little HP :P But omg I love mah new helm o.o And you love the way I care b:sin
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

gold prices are precisely where PWE wants them. if the company thought gold prices were in any way wrong, adjusting them would be simplicity itself for the people whose software creates and runs the gold market.

on topic: i live in a tourist town; downtown is full of little knickknack souvenir shops selling overpriced junk to out-of-towners. one of them has had the same "special price" deal advertised in the same display window for going on twenty years now. i've lived here twelve years, and never seen that window without that "special price" advertisement up in it. same exact ad, too, whichever company made the sign did good quality work.

it's not a "special price" anymore once it gets so constant and reliable it's practically reprinted in the Farmer's Almanac.

we're not living in a "pack sale" at present. pack prices are not "60% off", or even off at all. THIS IS REGULAR PRICE FOR PACKS, eighteen gold for fifty of the things, the only thing that changes is which specific packs are on offer week to week. the in-game economy is not "getting worse", it's exactly the way PWE wants it --- otherwise they would change it. they have total power to do so, since all the in-game markets run on software they create and involve nothing that isn't both (1) totally virtual and (2) entirely their property.

we may be playing it, but it's THEIR game, and they set it up the way they want it. if you don't like it, don't waste your time blaming anyone or anything but PWE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    LOL wut? I'm sorry but DW is competitive in TW. No one in a respectful TW faction has 3* or mold gears. And a lot of people even in smaller factions are packs addicts. If anything I think DW maybe just have either more demand or less supply for LGWT or people are farming it via lunar trophy mode on HL. (less demand) As for DoD or DoT, DoD became combinable and so did DoT. It used to be like 6 garnet gems to make a DoD but PWI changed it to 3 DoT to make a DoD. Also DoD are HIGH demand item, everyone and everyone is looking to shard with them. That accounts for price increase.

Dear Sir Or Madam,

im a lvl102 wizard in the supposedly dominating TW faction on our server
    and i are wearing 3star Booty

me haz this gear proof: http://pwcalc.com/e9283a3efc84147e

tank qu
    i like potato
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    LOL Calamity was always famous for their wizzies and cleric refiing +7 and adding cit gems to their 3* OHT b:laugh

Anyways Im sure he didnt mean OHT with good adds.