In Regards to Forum Posting

Options
13»

Comments

• JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Even on someone else's property you have the right to express your opinion(s), whether or not they choose to let you stay there is a different story.

The freedom of speech is protected as long as it is conducted in a respectful manner; once it crosses the line into slander, then it no longer falls under the first amendment.

I DO know what I am talking about, else I wouldn't post it in the first place.
    Last time.. no you don't. Their TOS explicitly states they have the right to do with your account and characters whatever they please because they own it, including your posts. This is a legal barrier against fruitless and naive complaints about "rights" provided a user not fathom that their right to post here is a privilege in PW's behalf, not a right.

I can kick someone off my property for expressing their "opinion". Someone can ban you here for expressing your "opinion". You think you have a recourse? Enlighten me.

I do agree about this forum lacking respect, but then again I've never seen otherwise.

People whining about PWI mods and such should just make their own PWI forum.
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I find myself suddenly drawn to your avatar. Make it stop!

P.S. Sasha is a ho.

b:cute
    Even on someone else's property you have the right to express your opinion(s), whether or not they choose to let you stay there is a different story.

The freedom of speech is protected as long as it is conducted in a respectful manner; once it crosses the line into slander, then it no longer falls under the first amendment.

I DO know what I am talking about, else I wouldn't post it in the first place.

the "freedom of speech" your referring to, I assume you're deriving from the first amendment, which doesn't say people are endowed with the right from birth to say whatever they want whenever they want. Its not a grant of a right at all, its a restriction on the federal (and the states by the 14th amendment) government from making laws restricting speech. PWI is not a branch of the government and can restrict speech however they see fit on their forums, the 1st amendment is irrelevant as to a non-governmental entity exercising control of the content on their site.

Incidentally, by restricting what is said, and not leaving the forum to take whatever direction it takes without intervention, PWI becomes more like a publisher of the intelectual content of what is said on the forum, and less like a disinterested provider of a forum (forum here being used as a venue for the exchange of ideas, and not an internet message board specifically).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
    LadyofReal - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,993 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Nowhere did I say that they could't ban someone for speaking their opinion, actually read what my OP says. The whole point behind it was to allow the HT trolls to post and troll one another, playfully, but for the moderators to step in when things got out of hand and degraded into slanderous comments being thrown at each other. Again, the freedom of speech is still protected until the speech becomes slanderous in nature, which, at that point, is when the moderators should step in and moderate the thread, posts, or forum.
    Not motivated enough to make another PWI siggy
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    protected from government restriction. PWI isn't the government. Your speech on PWI forums is not protected from PWI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MsEvilness - Heavens Tear
    MsEvilness - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    protected from government restriction. PWI isn't the government. Your speech on PWI forums is not protected from PWI.

that ^

they can do watever they like here; like banning u without any reason if they so wanted to

it may not be a good look, but i don't see why you would even compare pwi with laws and free speech
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Originally posted by LShattered - HeavensTear
    Ohhh...I am dumb b:shutup
    edited May 2011
    Options
    b:cute

the "freedom of speech" your referring to, I assume you're deriving from the first amendment, which doesn't say people are endowed with the right from birth to say whatever they want whenever they want. Its not a grant of a right at all, its a restriction on the federal (and the states by the 14th amendment) government from making laws restricting speech. PWI is not a branch of the government and can restrict speech however they see fit on their forums, the 1st amendment is irrelevant as to a non-governmental entity exercising control of the content on their site.

Incidentally, by restricting what is said, and not leaving the forum to take whatever direction it takes without intervention, PWI becomes more like a publisher of the intelectual content of what is said on the forum, and less like a disinterested provider of a forum (forum here being used as a venue for the exchange of ideas, and not an internet message board specifically).
    Do you ever get any sleep? xD
    Nowhere did I say that they could't ban someone for speaking their opinion, actually read what my OP says. The whole point behind it was to allow the HT trolls to post and troll one another, playfully, but for the moderators to step in when things got out of hand and degraded into slanderous comments being thrown at each other. Again, the freedom of speech is still protected until the speech becomes slanderous in nature, which, at that point, is when the moderators should step in and moderate the thread, posts, or forum.
    I read your post. You state that because this forum is hosted in the U.S. that you have freedom of speech here. You don't. You have the right to write your local paper blasting PWI, you can protest PWI by going to their publisher's U.S. HQ in the San Francisco Bay Area, holding a sign up just off their property declaring they are forum ****'s if you so please.

On the other hand, this forum is hosted by someone, this is their property. On this property, your right of speech ceases and becomes only as much as PW wants it to be. They own your account, they own your post. Anything less than "you have no freedom of speech here" and it's over your head. If you are in doubt about how non-existent freedom of speech is here, the fact that they can ban you for it regardless of what you say or do (you can post how much you love PWI and frankie yet they can still ban you, edit your post, lock it, move it, do it in the bum with a +12 french tickler) proves it doesn't exist.
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    WTB +12 French Tickler.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
    edited May 2011
    Options
    WTB +12 French Tickler.
    Sasha or Hoju stoleded it. D:
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I hate the mods here, as well as 99% of the forum (just an FYI)...

b:sad

Brutal honesty is brutal...
  • XXMid_niteXx - Heavens Tear
    XXMid_niteXx - Heavens Tear Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    whoa I got to bed and the thread is still alive when I wake up... impressive b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

crappy school project promotion:
    http://sweb2.dmit.nait.ca/atikhomirova1/cruxshadows/
    Hmm... I has a cookie... and I ated it b:chuckle
    Retired
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yea, but now it's talking about kinky sex toys.
    edited May 2011
    Options
    yeah but even despite that....alabama legacy lives on =P... I wonder how they missed it b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired
    edited May 2011
    Options
    That is a really good question lol.
    edited May 2011
    Options
    well shows how much effort our MODs put into their jobs =P

AND THE THREAD LIVES ON!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    well shows how much effort our MODs put into their jobs =P

AND THE THREAD LIVES ON!

Yeah, maybe...but that "legacy"? Not so much.b:chuckle
    edited May 2011
    Options
    QQ it was alive yesterday!... okay I'm done with this thread.....next one here I come!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It actually went stale a bit before that...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Careful, this thread will need to be pinned soon if we keep it up.