Opinion on Sword BM's

Reyoleya - Dreamweaver
Reyoleya - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
My Opinion: They're awful. Leave the swords to the seekers.

Discuss
Post edited by Reyoleya - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Kaste - Sanctuary
    Kaste - Sanctuary Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Before APS hype, all BMs were main sword with vit and str for Calamities at level 80.

So shoo.
    Feel free to PM me for help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mistress Myra forced me to use her sigpic ↑
    With PWI since Dec 21st '08
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=922912
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
  • Reyoleya - Dreamweaver
    Reyoleya - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Before APS hype, all BMs were main sword with vit and str for Calamities at level 80.

So shoo.

As you said, before the hype. We're in the hype. Living in the past means you never see the future before it slaps you in the face.
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    and only let the claws to the BM?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • Kaste - Sanctuary
    Kaste - Sanctuary Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    As you said, before the hype. We're in the hype. Living in the past means you never see the future before it slaps you in the face.

It's just that I don't see why a BM is called fail for using sword or pole, or how a barb is useless using his axes.
    I mean if you go delta with sword, I totally agree with you.
    If you go to serious TW with sword, I totally agree with you.
    But going to fbs or even killing some bosses in TT/FCC, I often use my sword. Why? Because who gives a damn **** if the boss dies in 4 minutes or in 5 minutes. These days bosses die quick as hell and people still complain? I remember times where you needed a full squad for Jewel or Eyes. Nowdays people laugh their *** of seeing them. Ask a sin and he will solo obliterate that thing.
    Feel free to PM me for help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mistress Myra forced me to use her sigpic ↑
    With PWI since Dec 21st '08
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=922912
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited May 2011
    ... I remember times where you needed a full squad for Jewel or Eyes. Nowdays people laugh their *** of seeing them. Ask a sin and he will solo obliterate that thing.

Archers too, apparently Eyes is super easy when you're doing OP ranged attacks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    My BM is mainly sword (always backup axe) until 85, when she can use her GVs, because I didn't feel like crafting a new set of fists for four levels. Before the hype maxed she was sword/axe. But of course I realized I'd never get anywhere like that thanks to people like you, so extended to fist. And yet people like you feel they have to come on the forums and bash those of us that like to use our swords when questing or what have you... what is that to you? It is a matter of choice, there is nothing awful about it; what is awful and close-minded here, is you.

I do agree, that with the way this game is going, it is not a smart move to not branch into a variety of weapons. However, if a BM wants to use a sword questing or (as a previous poster stated) on a boss that is going down in 2 seconds anyway, that does not make them awful (in fact, myriad sword stance can on occasion be a helpful skill).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • imstone
    imstone Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Not that the seeker is a 1 trick pony who just sits and spins but to be a true Blade Master you never use just 1 weapon I may use 3 different weapons in a fight to layout a combo to get the best result and most of those still add great benefit to the whole party though increased damage or decreased monster damage.
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    imstone wrote: »
    Not that the seeker is a 1 trick pony who just sits and spins

I would hope seekers have not become only that. I do much more than vortex >>.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Before aps hype, most bms were pure axe build lol. The first ever 2x exp event in october 08 set axe bms way ahead of any other class. I only know a handful of people that have ever used sword as their main weapon. I was 10x already before packs came out, and was gx axe/ purge spear.

And same refined swords would maybe be 1/4th the dps of same refined fists at max interval. Try something more along the lines of 10 min world boss solo with fists or 40 minutes with swords.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Before aps hype, most bms were pure axe build lol, I only know a handful of people that have ever used sword as their main weapon.

i knew many.

...knew..cause they almost died out.
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Julian - Dreamweaver
    Julian - Dreamweaver Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    My Opinion: They're awful. Leave the swords to the seekers.

Discuss
    You mad?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2011

So shoo.

Stop lying.

Before high aps became available all BMs were axe build and maybe had enough dex for a poleblade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    No... A LOT of BM's either chose Axes/Vit, Pole/Vit, Axe/Pole/Vit, or, very few chose to do Axe/Pole/Sword/HA/LA (well, they might not have LA, but could equip it, and you were only regarded as a good BM if you had both sets at endgame).

An even smaller number went Axe/Fist, or fist/LA/Vit (fail build, even now, roll a sin).

Swords at 5.0 would out DPM fists at 5.0 by about 20%, as swords do 20% more damage. But, swords can only get to 3.33, which means... At 5.0, Fists are going to out DPM swords at 3.33 by a decent margin, but NOT 4:1. Probably 2:1. You might get into the 4:1 margin if you perma-spark using fists, and don't with swords. IDK for sure, I don't have a 5.0 fists or 3.33 swords character (not that 3.33 is really possible, no -int swords that I know of).
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    No... A LOT of BM's either chose Axes/Vit, Pole/Vit, Axe/Pole/Vit, or, very few chose to do Axe/Pole/Sword/HA/LA (well, they might not have LA, but could equip it, and you were only regarded as a good BM if you had both sets at endgame).

An even smaller number went Axe/Fist, or fist/LA/Vit (fail build, even now, roll a sin).

Swords at 5.0 would out DPM fists at 5.0 by about 20%, as swords do 20% more damage. But, swords can only get to 3.33, which means... At 5.0, Fists are going to out DPM swords at 3.33 by a decent margin, but NOT 4:1. Probably 2:1. You might get into the 4:1 margin if you perma-spark using fists, and don't with swords. IDK for sure, I don't have a 5.0 fists or 3.33 swords character (not that 3.33 is really possible, no -int swords that I know of).

Without int swords, swords only go up to 2.22, meaning you're only sparked half the time. So I went with about 4:1 DPS. The only way to get 3.33 with swords is with a -.10 chest, which doesn't exist for BMs.

edited May 2011
    Without int swords, swords only go up to 2.22, meaning you're only sparked half the time. So I went with about 4:1 DPS. The only way to get 3.33 with swords is with a -.10 chest, which doesn't exist for BMs.

QQ I forgot about the stupid lack of decent Rank gear for BM's. b:cry I didn't even bother farming/buying rep for my BM.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • jiq
    jiq Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    BMs have the option to use 4 weapon types. They have skills for swords. So let them use swords. Too bad no one is brave enough to do it... It's all about fists/aps and axes for stun/HF. :s There is no originality anymore, all the BMs are the same. If they removed the pole / sword skills, no one would notice it, lol.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    jiq wrote: »
    BMs have the option to use 4 weapon types. They have skills for swords. So let them use swords. Too bad no one is brave enough to do it... It's all about fists/aps and axes for stun/HF. :s There is no originality anymore, all the BMs are the same. If they removed the pole / sword skills, no one would notice it, lol.

Why does originality matter? You might as well pure a pure DEX LA BM that uses bow if you wanna be different. Being different does not equate better. b:bye

• Lirora - Dreamweaver
    Lirora - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    back in the days before I ever quit (1 year and 2 months ago) and I had a lvl 8x wiz ect the sword BM's always and I mean ALWAYS saved me <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Job: TW coordinations, I never lost 1 war it's my goal to lead to victory!

also known in my faction as L

*started over again after a break from 1 year and 2 months*
  • Fladme - Dreamweaver
    Fladme - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Pole BM here. Don't look at me like that! b:sad b:embarrass b:thanks
    Speak for yourself b:surrender
    Why does originality matter? You might as well pure a pure DEX LA BM that uses bow if you wanna be different. Being different does not equate better. b:bye
    Because some of us don't play a game for PvP, or any competition for that matter. Besides, you don't have to understand why someone else plays a game, you just have to understand that it's a game, it's meant for fun. Rules are meant to be broken, and a lot of us don't care about being "better".

Heck, I play for the fashions and cool looking weapons. I don't give a smurf about having an optimal build.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Because some of us don't play a game for PvP, or any competition for that matter. Besides, you don't have to understand why someone else plays a game, you just have to understand that it's a game, it's meant for fun. Rules are meant to be broken, and a lot of us don't care about being "better".

Heck, I play for the fashions and cool looking weapons. I don't give a smurf about having an optimal build.

I'm not applying it to the casual players, I'm talking about serious / hard-core players. There's no real logic behind having a less effective build just for the sake of being different, but if it's fun and works for you then so be it.

• Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Swords looks sexy, therefore it's a good enough reason to go sword BM.
  • Fladme - Dreamweaver
    Fladme - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I'm not applying it to the casual players, I'm talking about serious / hard-core players. There's no real logic behind having a less effective build just for the sake of being different, but if it's fun and works for you then so be it.
    Then you have a good point there. b:victory
    edited May 2011
    I have swords for the lols. Got around west gate when nobody's killing the mobs there, and use sword skills to oneshot the mobs.

Otherwise, they so far have no use what-so-ever.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Qyo - Archosaur
    Qyo - Archosaur Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Bm swords actually only make sense if you want to looks sexy b:chuckle
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited May 2011

i use to be a pure sword bm till lvl 85 decided to get hf but i used my swords for pvp and how i loved the QQ when i beat them with swords. QQ sword bms fail, oh rlly now? and yet you got beaten by one. it was so achieving when i beat many people in duels with swords, then bm got deicides lvl 95 and barely used swords after again. sad i killed all my goals with sword for deicides and retired bm afterwards, got bored rolled a cleric.b:chuckle
  • T_i_m - Dreamweaver
    T_i_m - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I picked up the R8 sword because it was cheap and there are better options for the other 3 weapons end-game. MSS is fine in Delta when HF/GS are on cooldown The ranged attack combined with farstrike/drake ray means I don't have to waste arrows if I'm being lazy with harpies in FC and not pulling them down to melee range. Swords are situational but not useless.
  • lizrau
    lizrau Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    BMs are able to use all weapons, and should use them all the the best of their ability and in the correct situation. "Leave the swords to the Seekers," Doesn't really say anything, since that's all they can use -_-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig credits to Myra :D
  • sjslover
    sjslover Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Hmmm... main is wizzy and doesn't like sword BM's, trying to get people to stop using mage bane maybe, or trying to get sword prices to go down for seeker alt?b:chuckle Some sword/pole BM's were very good and some of them even fought the same as Seeker's do now, 'cept i think they had knockbacks and used more stuns. It's probably where they got the seekers design from, then just make some stuff magic so it's not an exact copy and tweak the def buff.
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Points to signature - Swords work darn well for me, and I've never heard complaints about being a sword bm from a squad before. I have axes for Heaven's Flame and only for that, 99% of the time you will see me with my swords, slashing anything in my way.

Honestly, I play the game to have fun. If I played the game to please other people I would not be here.
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Points to signature - Swords work darn well for me, and I've never heard complaints about being a sword bm from a squad before. I have axes for Heaven's Flame and only for that, 99% of the time you will see me with my swords, slashing anything in my way.

Honestly, I play the game to have fun. If I played the game to please other people I would not be here.

Question: How well do you do against every other class, especially against -int Fist/Axe BM's and Sins in Duels or PvP? b:puzzled
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰