The DW Math Thread

Options

Comments

• Rammy - Dreamweaver
    Rammy - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    eh, anything divided by 0 is infinity, so infinity/0 is something along the lines of infinity, or infitity squared, which is basically infinity, because infinity is infinity theres no way of changing the fact that infinity is infinity. i just used infinity in the last sentence like 15 times.

infinity.

Not anything divided by 0 is infinity. Or anything infinity at a power of something is infinity.

Don't forget about the indeterminate forms of limits:

0 / 0
    ∞ / ∞
    ∞ x 0
    ∞ ^ 0

I think they're more but really forgot them. But in the case of ∞ / 0 it is basically ∞ x 1 / 0 which is ∞ x ∞. You can't get an accurate answer unless you calculate the limit of it like:

lim when n -> ∞ of n / 0. In this case you can affirm it is ∞ :3
    Love the bunnies !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ColdAsLife - Dreamweaver
    ColdAsLife - Dreamweaver Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    And after all this time, the thread is still alive. What have I done b:shocked
    ColdAsLife, 90, Proud Sage Archer
    ArchRaziel, 5x, Cleric
    XBushidoX, xbushidox.guildportal.com
    Rectitude, Courage, Benelovence, Respect, Honesty, Honor, Loyalty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    And after all this time, the thread is still alive. What have I done b:shocked

I miss ya, bud. Thanks for letting me do it :3
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Sneaker - Dreamweaver
    Sneaker - Dreamweaver Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    wow finally a thread worth reading,

tysm Decus

b:cute
    Sneaker 105 sage sin

"Memory is the guardian of all things"

Cicero
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    Options
    wow finally a thread worth reading,

tysm Decus

b:cute

I aim to please. I hope you enjoy it.
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    Elanxu - Dreamweaver Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    0 / 0
    ∞ / ∞
    ∞ x 0
    ∞ ^ 0
    ∞ ^ ∞
    ∞ * 0
    0 ∞ 0
    ∞ / 0
    0 / ∞
    0 0 0 ∞ ∞ 0 ∞ 0 0 ∞ 0 ∞ 0 ∞ ∞ ∞ 0 0 ∞ 0 ∞ ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞...

lol i have no idea what you mean by indeterminate form of limits. a nab like me should better stay off this thread and learn/observe more
    the loser fail nab cleric from dreamweaver who quit pwi, but still wanders the forums.
  • nfgdjksnbsd
    nfgdjksnbsd Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Solve:

ln(z) = z

in terms of a and b where z = a + bi

and

cosh(x) = cos(x)
    (x =/= 0)
    find x.
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Solve:

ln(z) = z

and

cosh(x) = cos(x)
    (x =/= 0)
    find x.

for the first one, z=0.318132 - 1.33724i

i used a calculator :D
    the loser fail nab cleric from dreamweaver who quit pwi, but still wanders the forums.
  • nfgdjksnbsd
    edited April 2012
    Options
    for the first one, z=0.318132 - 1.33724i

i used a calculator :D

i said in terms of a and b, didnt want a numerical value :P
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2012
    Options
    i said in terms of a and b, didnt want a numerical value :P

then a=0.318 and b=-1.34 right?
  • Laterra - Dreamweaver
    Laterra - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Bonus!
    (You get cookies for solving it. I stumbled on this problem and could not RESIST posting it!)

A calculator is broken so that the only keys that still work are the sin, cos, tan, arcsin, arccos, and arctan buttons. The display initially shows 0. Given any positive rational number q, show that pressing some finite sequence of buttons will yield q. Assume that the calculator does real number calculations with infinite precision. All functions are in terms of radians.
    I was on an overnight train last night and couldn't sleep, and I found myself pondering over this question instead...

Pressing any finite sequence of buttons on a calculator (all possible combinations) yields a finite set of numbers. The rational numbers Q form a countable infinite set. So for any calculater generated set there exist elements in Q that are not in that set (i.e. you would have to press more buttons to get it). So no, you cannot get any q by pressing a finite sequence of buttons.
  • nfgdjksnbsd
    edited April 2012
    Options
    then a=0.318 and b=-1.34 right?

as in a = (e^b)(b-a) b= (e^a)(a-b)

==> z = (e^b)(b-a) + i(e^a)(a-b)

that is not the answer btw
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2012
    Options
    as in a = (e^b)(b-a) b= (e^a)(a-b)

==> z = (e^b)(b-a) + i(e^a)(a-b)

that is not the answer btw

b:surrender
  • Notso - Raging Tide
    Notso - Raging Tide Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I am good at maths but I can't read it unless it's on paper! None of this ^ business for powers and * for multiplyb:surrenderb:infuriatedb:avoid
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I am good at maths but I can't read it unless it's on paper! None of this ^ business for powers and * for multiplyb:surrenderb:infuriatedb:avoid

*busts out my scanner* pdf format of RL paper FTW
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    yeah and we cant use x either cause it could be ex or multiply
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2012
    Options
    yeah and we cant use x either cause it could be ex or multiply

That's why you should always either use parentheses or dots. The way I see it, I only ever use an x for multiplication working with cross products :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    That's why you should always either use parentheses or dots. The way I see it, I only ever use an x for multiplication working with cross products :3

Ahh yes forgot about the good ole dots i always use them lol how could i forgetb:surrender
  • Darren_Kris - Lothranis
    Darren_Kris - Lothranis Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Solve:

ln(z) = z

and

cosh(x) = cos(x)
    (x =/= 0)
    find x.

how about this,
    ln(z) = z
    e^[ln(z)] = e^z
    z = e^z
    z = e^(a + ib)
    z = (e^a)(e^ib)
    z = (e^a)(cos b + isin b)
    ==> a = (e^a)(cos b) , b = (e^a)(sin b)

I couldn't do the other 1 b:cry
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2012
    Options
    New stuff! Yay!

Two are harder this time, though you can brute-force one of them (but that's not fun) :D

Say you painted a block of wood that's a x b x c cm (where a <or= b <or= c and a,b,c are all whole numbers). After that, you then cut it up into 1 cm cubes and found that half of the cubes have paint on them and half do not. What are all possible values of a, b, and c?

At their traditional poker game, Clifton and Lawrence agree on the stakes for each hand: The loser pays 1/3 of the money he has remaining, to the winner.

After a while, Lawrence gives up: "You now have exactly three times the cash I have, you've won the last few hands, and I've lost just about four bucks!"
    "But you won every hand before that," Clifton replied, "in fact you've won the same
    number of hands I have!"

How many hands were played, how much money did they each start with, and how much do they have now?

The numbers 480608, 508811, and 723217, when divided by a certain natural number greater than 1 , all yield the same remainder. What is that divisor and that remainder?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WackyTaffy - Dreamweaver
    WackyTaffy - Dreamweaver Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    the last one is divide by 79 and get a remainder of 51. And no I didn't use brute force...
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Show work, Wacfy! b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Options

Lol I found the answer for this one, because i used brute forceb:shutup
    edited May 2012
    Options

The difference between the numbers GCD is 79 thus they'd all have the same remainder if divided by 79.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2012
    Options
    The difference between the numbers GCD is 79 thus they'd all have the same remainder if divided by 79.

So you said you were going to do the other problems. Why haven't you? b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I see you're still at it, Dec.

p.s. you're still an old man.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • Yorkin - Dreamweaver
    Yorkin - Dreamweaver Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I see you're still at it, Dec.

p.s. you're still an old man.

Persistence is a mathematician's greatest virtue.

(Ofc, he's old... he's a Elf, in Heaven Tear's name xD)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A small tribute to elven mathematician from a human physicist. b:pleased

Yorkin - The Retired Wizard
    edited May 2012
    Options
    So you said you were going to do the other problems. Why haven't you? b:angry

I never figured out how to do the first one without brute force. And the last one looked too easy so I didn't bother.
    edited May 2012
    Options
    So, decus said to go ahead and just solve it...

Say you painted a block of wood that's a x b x c cm (where a <or= b <or= c and a,b,c are all whole numbers). After that, you then cut it up into 1 cm cubes and found that half of the cubes have paint on them and half do not. What are all possible values of a, b, and c?

so seeing as how no one else is answering this. (a * b * c) = the number of cubes. that number divided by 2 equals the number of painted and not painted cubes. The number of not painted cubes is equal to (a - 2) * (b - 2) * (c -2). Because if you subtract 2 you get the inside area of the block. So,
    (a * b * c) / 2 = (a-2)*(b-2)*(c-2)

From here it is a simple matter of brute force to solve it. Or you could try to solve it mathematically and fill out 3 pages of math instead. It's easy enough to see that a can't be 1 or 2 because there is no inner area of cubes that don't get painted. The inner area when a is 3 is always going to be smaller than the out area so that is also impossible. So, we'll start with a is 4. Like wise we can see that a can't be 10 or greater because the smallest the inner area can be at the time will be great than the out area:
    a = 10, b = 10, c = 10.
    (a * b * c) / 2 = (a-2)*(b-2)*(c-2)
    500 < 512
    Any increases in b or c will only make the inner area even larger than the outer area.

Anyways on to the code for the brute force phase:
    long a = 3, b = 3, c = 3;
    //Randomly used 1000 as the cut cause I don't want it to take forever.
    for(a = 3; a < 1000; a++)
    for(b = a; b < 1000; b++)
    for( c = b; c < 1000; c++)
    {
    if( (a*b*c) == ((a-2)*(b-2)*(c-2)*2))
    cout << a << ":" << b << ":" << c << endl;
    }
    Answers:
    a b c
    5 13 132
    5 14 72
    5 15 52