Multi-boxing is allowed

Kazunoko - Archosaur
Kazunoko - Archosaur Posts: 9 Arc User
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
Okay, my other thread started going off on a tangent, so I will start a new one for this topic specifically.

I have several accounts. I have several computers. Therefore, I generally have a few of my characters logged in at the same time. One elementclient.exe per PC is allowed according to the terms of service of this game.

Multi-clienting (running elementclient multiple times on the same PC) is not allowed. However, if you are like me (and I will assume most of you are) you are using DSL or Cable Internet access through a router. The external IP address visible to PWI is the same, regardless of whether you are multi-clienting or multi-boxing. Therefore, even though it is disallowed by the ToS there is really no way for a GM to prove you were multi-clienting and not multi-boxing.

Anyhow, Frankie posted this a while back in the "official multi-clienting thread":

Multi-boxing is officially allowed #1

Multi-boxing is officially allowed #2

I hope this helps to settle some of the confusion here.

EDIT: I created this thread because some people have been led to believe multi-boxing is not allowed (and some people have even been banned for it). I'm trying to make sure the player base and the GMs are all on the same page here.
Kazunoko: n. Herring roe, used in many common sushi recipes.

Wasabi: n. Kazunoko's pet tiger. b:chuckle
Post edited by Kazunoko - Archosaur on

Comments

• Lanyiara - Harshlands
    Lanyiara - Harshlands Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    What about a virtual PC?

Its technically a seperate computer and doesnt trick the client into running twice in the same workspace. but physically, its one PC :O

I can even set mine up to have a different internal IP address, meaning its DEFINATELY not the same PC as far as anyone is concerned.... right? b:cute

/doesnt care and will still accept people multiclienting a catshop as fair play no matter what PWE says. Not that I do that of course. SHOP___SHOP is an entirely different PC.

Its on a Dell too Q___Q
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    ^ From what I remember, a Virtual PC is the same concept to PWE as Multi-Clienting...it is still on the same computer regardless if it is technically a "separate" computer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Lanyiara - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    ^ From what I remember, a Virtual PC is the same concept to PWE as Multi-Clienting...it is still on the same computer regardless if it is technically a "separate" computer.

Well thats odd. To run software on a virtual PC, you generally have to pay for a whole other licence as it counts as another computer. (Unless Linux etc...)

If Microsoft say its 2 PCs yet PWE think its the same PC.

HRRRRMZ
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Well thats odd. To run software on a virtual PC, you generally have to pay for a whole other licence as it counts as another computer. (Unless Linux etc...)

If Microsoft say its 2 PCs yet PWE think its the same PC.

HRRRRMZ

I think the same way...It was a while ago but I am pretty sure they stated bc is was on one unit it equated to multi-clienting. Maybe it has changed? Who knows...a lot constantly changes b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    Alasen - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,874 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Last I heard game companies can stil check the IP on your COMPUTER if they have to trace you, whether your'e behind a router on high speed or not. Where did you get this info they can only see your router's IP?
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    This thread... again? This isn't new information. GMs have always stated that you can run two accounts at once if they're on separate computers. You can't run two clients on ONE computer no matter what method you use, or at least you aren't supposed to. No telling how regularly the rule is enforced, or if it can be enforced at all with certain methods, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Notgood - Raging Tide
    Notgood - Raging Tide Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    well hopefully they will find a solution
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    At least my team doing the Harlem Shake.
  • Lanyiara - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    Last I heard game companies can stil check the IP on your COMPUTER if they have to trace you, whether your'e behind a router on high speed or not. Where did you get this info they can only see your router's IP?

Re-read it plox.

You can set a virtual machine to have its own internal IP.

So, your PC = 255.0.255.001

Dads lappy = 255.0.255.002

Mums PC = 255.0.255.003

Your Virtual PC running on your original PC 255.0.255.004

And no, the game cannot check if its being run on a virtal PC as far as I know.

Also, considering its perfectly fine to multiclient over in PWCN, im REALLY doubting theres any internal tracking, so IP is all they have to ride on.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Re-read it plox.

Mums PC = 255.0.255.003

Also, considering its perfectly fine to multiclient over in PWCN, im REALLY doubting theres any internal tracking, so IP is all they have to ride on.

It's still not allowed. And that's all you need to know.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Lanyiara - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    It's still not allowed. And that's all you need to know.

But people will still do it safe in the knowledge that much like smoking pot and the police, PWE will only get rough with multiclienters occasionally because theres just too many for them to deal with.

Seriously, I know loads of people doing it, you know loads of people who do it and PK buddies know people who do it.

PWE wont crackdown on it because theyre lazy, if they did, theyd probably do something about world chat, since its a more obvious problem.
  • Kazunoko - Archosaur
    Kazunoko - Archosaur Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2011

I'm talking about PWI and how pw-protector works. Technically, they could check your MAC address or a hardware-specific ID (e.g. motherboard ID, video card ID, or hard drive IDs). As far as I know, this game doesn't do that.

However, like everyone else has said: It's bannable, so why even risk it? This is exactly why I run multiple PCs (plus I get the benefit of seeing both screens at the same time by doing this).
    Kazunoko: n. Herring roe, used in many common sushi recipes.

Wasabi: n. Kazunoko's pet tiger. b:chuckle
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    for those not aware of what a mac address is..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited January 2011

for those that have never heard of MAC address spoofing.. google it.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2011
    Re-read it plox.

Mums PC = 255.0.255.003

HOLY ****..... LEARN TO READ YOU MORON..... god first u bash me in the other thread when u dont' read half the **** i'm saying, now here? NOWHERE DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT A VIRTUAL PC!!!

I SAID... they can STILL check your IP address of your fracking COMPUTER whether you're behind a router or no router.
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2011
    I'm talking about PWI and how pw-protector works. Technically, they could check your MAC address or a hardware-specific ID (e.g. motherboard ID, video card ID, or hard drive IDs). As far as I know, this game doesn't do that.

However, like everyone else has said: It's bannable, so why even risk it? This is exactly why I run multiple PCs (plus I get the benefit of seeing both screens at the same time by doing this).

Your computer itself generates it's own IP address, this doesn't include your router's IP address or your ISP (Internet provider). and Lyna or w/e.... any MMO company can track the Ip address of their users pc's that they log on with. They HAVE to, to combat hacking that occurs or other legal ****.

But yes using two clients on the same pc is bannable... they CAN find out, they HAVE find out (and before anyone tries to argue that, search the forums or ask around), and if they see twoo accounts on the same IP at once... banhammer. Sorry
  • skyraiserdm
    skyraiserdm Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited January 2011

exactly, perfect world server software is logging the hardware key, this might be a mac address or a combination of different system settings...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hunnybunney - Harshlands
    Hunnybunney - Harshlands Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    HOLY ****..... LEARN TO READ YOU MORON..... god first u bash me in the other thread when u dont' read half the **** i'm saying, now here? NOWHERE DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT A VIRTUAL PC!!!

I SAID... they can STILL check your IP address of your fracking COMPUTER whether you're behind a router or no router.

You dont know what an internal IP is do you? >_>

They can track your computers IP sure enough, but making a virtual machine have its own IP is easy.

As for your banhammer BS, Im going to go LOL. They just dont do it enough for anyone to be scared off.
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2011
    and again.. i wasnt' talking about virtual machines you idiot.
    edited January 2011
    and again.. i wasnt' talking about virtual machines you idiot.

We were.

Victory is mine.
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    We were.

Victory is mine.

resistance is futile b:avoid
    edited January 2011
    resistance is futile b:avoid

We will never lose hope!
    edited January 2011
    We will never lose hope!

but u will lose the game b:avoid
  • CandyCorn - Raging Tide
    CandyCorn - Raging Tide Posts: 1,547 Arc User
    edited January 2011
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2011
    YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN...... god damn are you really this stupid? Go read the OP's post. Look where he mentioned that thing bout routers. then go read MY FIRST POST. I wasnt' replying to you or anyone else, i was talking to HIM! Stop thinking you're the center of the f'ing forums hunnydumbsh*t

By the way, i dont' know what a internal IP is? What the hell did you think i meant when i said Pc's generate their own IP address. You know how many people have tried to tell me a pc doesn't have it's own IP?
    edited January 2011
    but u will loose the game b:avoid

What is lost must be found, sooner or later.

---

@ALasan

Rageeeeeeeeeeeee?
    edited January 2011
    What is lost must be found, sooner or later.

oops.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=206329&type=card
    By the way, i dont' know what a internal IP is? What the hell did you think i meant when i said Pc's generate their own IP address. You know how many people have tried to tell me a pc doesn't have it's own IP?

it doesnt. IP is assigned by the network. u might mean MAC
  • CandyCorn - Raging Tide
    CandyCorn - Raging Tide Posts: 1,547 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN...... god damn are you really this stupid? Go read the OP's post. Look where he mentioned that thing bout routers. then go read MY FIRST POST. I wasnt' replying to you or anyone else, i was talking to HIM! Stop thinking you're the center of the f'ing forums hunnydumbsh*t

http://27.media.tumblr.com/yHWA4oxH8m21m83iKdR3V7hCo1_500.jpg Please refrian from using curse words :< your better then that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Move along..move along
    edited January 2011
    oops.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=206329&type=card

it doesnt. IP is assigned by the network. u might mean MAC

^

also, NO I DIDNT WANT A DRAW!!!! DDDD:
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited January 2011

Your computer itself generates it's own IP address, this doesn't include your router's IP address or your ISP (Internet provider). and Lyna or w/e.... any MMO company can track the Ip address of their users pc's that they log on with. They HAVE to, to combat hacking that occurs or other legal ****.

But yes using two clients on the same pc is bannable... they CAN find out, they HAVE find out (and before anyone tries to argue that, search the forums or ask around), and if they see twoo accounts on the same IP at once... banhammer. Sorry

so much angry caps all the time, you need to chill lol
    i got a warning from frankie just for calling 1 person an idiot once, yet somehow shes all guns blazing on loads of diff threads on loads of diff posts, wheres the justice? lolol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited January 2011

Okay. Someone has to tell you this.

You are a jerk. Self centered, have no idea what you're talking about, flame-bait, trolling, etc.

I think everyone on these forums who has any brains at all will be smart enough to add you to their ignore list, where you most certainly belong.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level