Mystics replacing Clerics?

Options
Jetsa - Lost City
Jetsa - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Cleric
Okay, so I was catching up on news following the latest patch that was released today. In the section about Mystic skills, I came across this,

"This visually stunning skill is an AoE heal that recovers the HP of all group members within 18 meters of the caster. It, along with various single-target heals as well as a ressurect spell, make the Mystic an extremely useful ally to have at your side."

Does this anger anyone as much as it does me? So basically, Mystics are going to become a mixure of a Psychic and a Cleric. So there's no use for Clerics anymore.

I love my Cleric, and I will never stop playing on that character. But it really pisses me off that they're making the classes so similar.

Eventually, Clerics will be useless.

Thoughts?
Post edited by Jetsa - Lost City on

Comments

• OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver
    OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's really hard to believe you people keep on speculating the cleric is/will be obsolete. No one here has an absolute valid review of these new classes. It's all based of visual representations that has been given to us to see. For now, lets try to be optimistic. When the new expansion comes out and im sure everyone of you will roll a new class, put up your reviews and make comparisons to the one currently you are playing.

In the end, clerics will not be useless... in fact, no other class will be useless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Amourie - Heavens Tear
    Amourie - Heavens Tear Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Why are people still asking this? They can heal somewhat but they can't do nearly as much as clerics.
  • Lust_Void - Raging Tide
    Lust_Void - Raging Tide Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Clerics will always be needed and necessary. I play both a cleric and venomancer so I have heard this argument from both sides so when I first heard of this I thought the same thing. Now I think the res skill will be a nice addition to the new class. As a cleric I don't mind dyeing, but it would be nice for someone to res me once in a while. And though this new class has healing spells, I will almost guarantee they won't even compare to cleric heals. If you just look at this all logically I don't think PWI is trying to make clerics obsolete and I think these new skills will actually be a nice touch!
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    mystics dont look like psychics at all. they are closer to veno than psychic

just because they have heals and res doesnt guarantee that they would be better than clerics.

one more healing class is good (and one more tank class too).
    looks like the new expansion will kinda fix the inbalance of too many DDs and too few healers/tanks.

better than clerics? we will see. i dont think they will be clearly better though, just able to solo heal most instances.
  • Prophete - Dreamweaver
    Prophete - Dreamweaver Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    And they don't have purify <3
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'll just copy/paste my response from the other topic on this hibbity jibbity bibbity swibbity..

It's so funny watching threads like this.

Guess what? This very thread came up when psychics were released (notice I posted there too):

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=549122

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=543801
    Already BMs, Archers and Wizards are being swept under the rug by the Tideborn's clearly superior capabilities. It's only a matter of time before people realize that Psychics are indirectly better healers than us too! b:cry

And the psychics have a "zomg psychics r gonna be replaced by mystics" thread:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=11689992

This is the best post made there:
    flippineck wrote: »
    perhaps most psychics of any real value realise their place in the game and before they chose psychic actually researched it. similarly they probably are taking the time to read the news on the new classes or even play them over on the chinese version, instead of relying on rash judgement and outright disinformation.

indeed the whole "is x going to replace y" phenomenon is just a repeat of the tideborn release. Sins are going to replace BMs.. well they didn't, in fact the drive to high aps/fist use that began shortly after the tideborn release has actually revitalised the BM as a class (even though they are all running around fisting everything in sight instead of using all their weapons). Psychics were going to replace wizzies/clerics and perhaps have slipped in alongside wizzies in terms of DDs for instances, but clerics so far are still needed.

each new class will find it's niche. some classes will always be more popular than others.no point QQing over it, might as well QQ that one country gets more sunshine than yours does.

Oh and another note, barbs and wizards are not dead by any means. That assertion makes as much sense as the notion that clerics are gonna die.

People would do well to learn from history and not to fall for the same phenomenon once again.

Then to address the point of res, it's a fricken auto-rez buff. It's not a "oh hey you're dead let me rez you bro like a cleric does" spell. It's something that a Mystic would want to use ON a cleric to compliment them, not to replace the cleric.
  • Flying_Flash - Sanctuary
    Flying_Flash - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    And they don't have purify <3

This ^^^^ & I'm pretty darn certain that our heals will be loads better as well. The heal they mentioned for mystics reminds me of the Bubble skill for Psychics & I bet it'll have a decent cooldown.

& as for the Revive skill, I thought I heard somewhere its like a buff that lasts for an amount of time and if you die within that time, you can res yourself. Be nicely mixed with clerics and it wouldn't replace it because ummm, whats a mystic supposed to do when someone does actually stay down?? lol

Not to mention we have no idea how much exp will be lost with the res, be the same as clerics?? We'll just have to wait and see.

All i gotta say is, we won't be replaced, we even have our amazing buffs :D
  • brotherwalk
    brotherwalk Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

b:angryGanks -.- why eaven discuss this, this is what gonna happen with the first lvl 80 seekers and mystics:
    Seekers will have a hard time getting in fc cuz they cannot tank and cannot stun as good as BM's, i saw a lvl 60 seeker -.- it didnt eaven onehit lvl 20 mobs.
    Mystics will be a nice addition to clerics, giving clerics the ress buff will help alot. theire pets can solo some mobs, who knows? maby shades to... b:victory Mystics may take venos place in the FC (Sry for u venos) b:cry But it will help alot with a few healing skills a squad would be perfect like this:

Cleric
    BM
    Barbarian
    Assasin
    Psychic
    Mystic

Eaven if the cleric dies we still got mystics and psychic aoe heal and psys awesome channeling and earth dmg is great at fc (i play a lvl 83 psy) i think this or a "INT" Archer would be best, but since its hard to have int gear at lvl 80 its not a big chance to find one :)

OK EVERYONE LISTEN PLIS: NO races are gonna be useless, mystics maybe do some of a venos Job and DDing might be ok, a few heals. Clerics plis calm down ffs...

WFR: Skychaser raging tides b:bye
  • Murcas - Sanctuary
    Murcas - Sanctuary Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The way I see it, everyone has a role to play in this game, everyone, no exceptions. So, let's go into some tasty details, shall we?

Mystics: I'm going to copy and past some details from the main page and then accentuate on their strengths and weaknesses.

"Soul absorb":This is a ranged attack spell that does major damage to a single target. Its relatively high mana cost, however, means that you'd be wise to save it for the tail end of its corresponding skill chain, when it does double damage. Another interesting thing about this spell is that its damage is far greater when it's used on monsters rather than other players, for PvP balance.

What I accentuated in blue is what one must pay attention to. Something tells me that the skills are going to cost a lot as well. Somewhere betwixt a Venomancer's and Psychic's cost. I.E. A very, very, expensive class to play.

Cloud and Mist: This visually stunning skill is an AoE heal that recovers the HP of all group members within 18 meters of the caster. It, along with various single-target heals as well as a resurrect spell, make the Mystic an extremely useful ally to have at your side.

I accentuate it all because AoE heal equals good, but from what I can deduct, "a resurrect spell" doesn't necessarily mean it's a group revive and even it were, the cool down time would probably be terrible whereas a cleric's revive cool down time is almost instantaneous. And, I must admit that a Mystic's AoE heal WOULD come in handy against a particularly annoying boss.

Valiant Avatar Emerges

The Earthguard Mystic will be only the second PWI character class to be able to travel around with a "Combat Pet". However, don't let this fool you into thinking that she'll be a mere copy of the Venomancer-- the Mystic actually summons her ally to fight alongside her, and has to "transmit" her own mana to this creature so that it can use its skills. The Valiant Avatar is the first such creature you will learn to summon, and it starts off with some strong physical attacks, including a melee stun.

Um, yeah, your pet "eats" your mana. Rather...irritating. So, if you run out of mana, your pet disappears, leaving you vulnerable. the stun aspect is quite nice, though.

So, clerics, venos, wizards, and psychics, you have nothing to worry about. Try not to fret about these kinds of things. No good will come from it...

Now, next, is the Seeker class.

Northern Sky Sword

A self "buff" that lasts for 10 minutes. Signified by a fiery-red glow on your claymore. During this time, every time you attack, there is a 30% chance that you will apply Eye of Northern Sky Sword to the enemy. If an enemy is then attacked with another skill, "Wind-Breaking Sword", during this time, the enemy will become immobilized, take extra damage, and lose Defense Level temporarily.

So, essentially they are Nob and Pole, BUT it comes with a price
    A: It is a self buff.
    B:It lasts for 10 minutes with a 30% chance of actually causing status ailments whereas a BM has, typically, a 100 % chance of stunning, wizards can immobilize the enemy briefly, and Venos can amplify damage. In theory it sounds kind of cool, but when you think of one of the many drawbacks, this class seems to have its faults and this is just the beginning. I'm sure that once there are more skills available, it will become a bit more apparent as to how valuable this class will become.

Heart Burning Sword

A 20 second debuff. When you attack the enemy with a Fire or Earth skill, the Critical Strike Rate and Damage of that skill will be increased for that attack. Heart Burning Sword, in and of itself, does no damage, but is used to set up your Fire and Earth direct damage skills for the next 20 seconds. Perfect for boss fights or cutting through your opponent's Platinum Charm!

Sounds almost like Undine strike to me...So, wizards, you are safe. As an added bonus, those skills may stack and you'd be able to do some massive damage to a boss, making an FCC run look like a cake walk.

Lord of Sword

AOE Channeling Skill that attacks nearby enemies every 1.5 seconds! Lasts until canceled, or until no mana remains. One of the skills that makes the Seeker a fearsome sight on any battlefield.

Funny, that move sounds familiar somehow...So, archers, you too are safe.

Okay, so, if this tl;dr material, please let me just say that no one has anything to worry about, we all have a place to fill. <3
  • NinnaXXX - Sanctuary
    NinnaXXX - Sanctuary Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    short answer nope, clerics cant be that easily replaced as you would replace a dd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The greatest danger for most of us
    is not that our aim is too high
    and we miss it
    but that it's too low and
    we reach it.
    -Michelangelo
  • OsoGreen - Harshlands
    OsoGreen - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Okay, so I was catching up on news following the latest patch that was released today. In the section about Mystic skills, I came across this,

"This visually stunning skill is an AoE heal that recovers the HP of all group members within 18 meters of the caster. It, along with various single-target heals as well as a ressurect spell, make the Mystic an extremely useful ally to have at your side."

Does this anger anyone as much as it does me? So basically, Mystics are going to become a mixure of a Psychic and a Cleric. So there's no use for Clerics anymore.

I love my Cleric, and I will never stop playing on that character. But it really pisses me off that they're making the classes so similar.

Thoughts?

b:angry i hate the fact that the mystics are part CLERIC why???? why cant u just make a NEW CLASS WITH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TAKING OTHER CLASSES SKILLS? its so unfair, its like the barbs, sooner or later nobody will want to playe them exept for the people who HAVE to have them for TT or FCs its so so stupid how they are ALREADY dieing and NOBODY steps in to make them stay online...
    its terrible to watch a class die out...b:cry
    edited January 2011
    Options
    b:angry i hate the fact that the mystics are part CLERIC why???? why cant u just make a NEW CLASS WITH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TAKING OTHER CLASSES SKILLS? its so unfair, its like the barbs, sooner or later nobody will want to playe them exept for the people who HAVE to have them for TT or FCs its so so stupid how they are ALREADY dieing and NOBODY steps in to make them stay online...
    its terrible to watch a class die out...b:cry

leave clerics alone, after all they have been through b:cry
  • SouthSeas - Archosaur
    SouthSeas - Archosaur Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I've played the Mystic on the Chinese Server and its healing abilities are very good.
    If you have good squad it can probably take the Clerics place. (but it would need a lot of mp potions...)
    The real problem with the Cleric is it isn't a very fun class, and because of that few people play them.
    I don't doubt that perfect world will add another character with Cleric like skills, if the need for healers and buffers increases in the future.

Don't flame me for making a well Informed Observation.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The mystic heal skill (not the aoe one) is extremely good from what I've heard. I doubt mystics will replace clerics in instances where bb is needed, like warsong; however, clerics are barely needed in nirvana with a good squad, and I would rather have the higher dps of a mystic than a cleric.
  • Atria - Heavens Tear
    Atria - Heavens Tear Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Sheesh, Wizards can also heal, you mad?

I think their healing skill is going to be even weaker than wizards, and teh ressurect will consume all of your Mana or something like that.
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    is dmg reduction mystic pet aoe?

if yes, then clers may have problem b:shutup
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • SouthSeas - Archosaur
    SouthSeas - Archosaur Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The Mystics first heal is like the Clerics Wellspring Surge but it is much faster and uses little magic.

The res buff is a little strange so i remember it pretty well, (res buff level 1) is learned at around level 10 and costs about 600 mp to cast.
    Then (res buff level 2) will cost about 1000 mp to cast, after that the mp cost to cast goes down, (res buff level 3) costs about 900 mp to cast.
    The reason the mp cost jumps from 600 to 1000 is because the res buff goes from lasting 15 minutes to lasting 30 minutes.

I don't know if damage reduction is a Mystic ability, if it is then it will most likely be on one of the Fairies.
    The first Fairy does magic damage and the others do short range(very short) AOEs that give the enemies a status effect.

Please don't tell me what you "think" i'm telling everyone what i KNOW from playing the character.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The Mystics first heal is like the Clerics Wellspring Surge but it is much faster and uses little magic.

The res buff is a little strange so i remember it pretty well, (res buff level 1) is learned at around level 10 and costs about 600 mp to cast.
    Then (res buff level 2) will cost about 1000 mp to cast, after that the mp cost to cast goes down, (res buff level 3) costs about 900 mp to cast.
    The reason the mp cost jumps from 600 to 1000 is because the res buff goes from lasting 15 minutes to lasting 30 minutes.

I don't know if damage reduction is a Mystic ability, if it is then it will most likely be on one of the Fairies.
    The first Fairy does magic damage and the others do short range(very short) AOEs that give the enemies a status effect.

Please don't tell me what you "think" i'm telling everyone what i KNOW from playing the character.

Still that won't really replace classes like venos and clerics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
    edited January 2011
    Options

can the res buff be purged? (by a veno or an archer with lunar bow for example)
  • Shalandra_ - Sanctuary
    Shalandra_ - Sanctuary Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You will not be replaced. Healers of any kind will always be needed..
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    My view:

In a non-BB needing situation-

Mystics wont replace clerics
    RICH Mystics will replace clerics

We clerics already complain about the amount of MP WE use.
    We already know mystics will end up the most MP spending class.
    Think: Would you want to be a 'cleric' that spends 2x 3x more MP than the other clerics?

if their willing to then... hey yeah be my guess, your loss not mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
    edited January 2011
    Options
    My view:

In a non-BB needing situation-

Mystics wont replace clerics
    RICH Mystics will replace clerics

We clerics already complain about the amount of MP WE use.
    We already know mystics will end up the most MP spending class.
    Think: Would you want to be a 'cleric' that spends 2x 3x more MP than the other clerics?

if their willing to then... hey yeah be my guess, your loss not mine.

ur one of my favourite people in here b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • ugysekell
    ugysekell Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    No. Mystics have no BB, no Purify, no stackable IH, no Revive, no Wings of Protection, no Magic def. buff, no really strong heal like our Stream of Rejuvenation.
    There is a thread where they say Mystics will have a fast heal similar to IH but it is not stackable.
    I also heard they will have some kind of buffs but not magic def (melees like our magic def buff).
    Yes, they have a Revive buff but what if they forget about it? Or a boss debuffs them (like in FCC). Then they are screwed. :P
    Cleric > Mystic. /thread
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

Thoughts?

No, they won't. That's like arguing that Wizard heals + sutra replaces IH...

/thread
    ur one of my favourite people in here b:chuckle

b:sad
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
    edited January 2011
    Options
    b:sad

Dont worry Decus , ur my secret math Idol here as well b:victoryb:victoryb:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I agree with Deceptistar's point of view: Mystics will replace equally geared non-thinking clerics, and rich mystics will be able to replace poor clerics.

Clerics best heals would probably be ironheart, chromatic healing beam and stream of rejuvenation, and I expect that mystic heals will be instant, and they will probably have short channelling times and long casting times, with a cheap and easy (pet based) party heal. If so, this means that a mystic can react quickly in an emergency and will perhaps be forced to wait and consider a couple seconds before making another move, and can ignore minor squad damage. This, combined with their "revive buff" will favor risky and even ignorant playing styles, without needing to have them be given abilities equal to the capabilities of an equally geared cleric that can see and understand the flow of battle.

Also since heals are gear based, a mystic with twice the magic attack of a cleric will probably be able to out-heal that cleric.
  • ILubby - Raging Tide
    ILubby - Raging Tide Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ugysekell wrote: »
    No. Mystics have no BB, no Purify, no stackable IH, no Revive, no Wings of Protection, no Magic def. buff, no really strong heal like our Stream of Rejuvenation.
    There is a thread where they say Mystics will have a fast heal similar to IH but it is not stackable.
    I also heard they will have some kind of buffs but not magic def (melees like our magic def buff).
    Yes, they have a Revive buff but what if they forget about it? Or a boss debuffs them (like in FCC). Then they are screwed. :P
    Cleric > Mystic. /thread

They can AOE heal, single heal and Resurrect. Quoted from the PWI site:

"This visually stunning skill is an AoE heal that recovers the HP of all group members within 18 meters of the caster. It, along with various single-target heals as well as a resurrect spell, make the Mystic an extremely useful ally to have at your side."

But they wont replace clerics, they just might work along with clerics. And as you said, they don't have BB, which is pretty essential at some situations. Wizards and psychics can heal but they didn't replace clerics, did they?
  • Sereneai - Dreamweaver
    Sereneai - Dreamweaver Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    can the res buff be purged? (by a veno or an archer with lunar bow for example)

this makes me also curious.
    Things said during a Twizted faction PK session:
    Slayer_of_Souls: you guys are such suck ups. none of you have attacked twid.
    Twiddzly(fac leader): no, sere killed me already.
    Slayer_of_Souls: he's out there waiting for us, isn't he. i'm gonna die.
    Sereneai: b:sin why don't you come find out.
    Kinglkaruga: you go first dule.
  • Galliteya - Heavens Tear
    Galliteya - Heavens Tear Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I as well play a veno and cleric. I love them both. Yes I will probably try the 2 new classes to 10 but as far as replacing clerics. No way ><. I even read that people are worried about seekers replacing bm's because of there rival aoe damage and buffs. I think all classes are useful in some way shape or form. Even wizzies. I see in world chat people looking for them all the time. I rarely ever see anyone looking for a psych unless it when they call for dd's.

But I love playing my cleric heehee b:cute. Nothing could replace that fact. If you love the class...than its usefull ;).
  • Mahayana - Sanctuary
    Mahayana - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    This is infinitely frustrating. Years of playing this game and devotion to this class and this is what we get. Just great.