Strangest Builds--

Comments

• NiaJade - Harshlands
    NiaJade - Harshlands Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    tweakz wrote: »
    Dollar for dollar, coin for coin: LA is fail for wiz, cleric, veno, etc. You can cover up a lot of flaws by throwing money at them.

My LA Veno. has pros and cons. (another version).

Pros are - very high Physical Defense, HP and Magic Attack (high refines/shards).

Cons are - her cast is so slow it is pathetic. I have had to rig this by making fast cast items to swap out, and adorns to help offset the lack of int. for when she tanks and needs to heal her herc. Really a pain. And she is weak to magic attacks....

While my Veno on PWI has over -20 Fast cast, weak to melee but strong to magic. But I have to admit, each Veno has their own purpose & weak to some classes, strong to others. I think it comes down to, what do you want the veno to DO.

Response to OP > About 3 yrs ago I made a Heavy Veno. (other version) & she started out in Heavy Armor & had only 1-2 Magic Skill (rest fox form skills). I did not know I make her Robe, level to 90 THEN restat/armor her into Heavy.... Others were doing this so.. She is still level 45.

All in all - I now prefer the Robe Veno.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hahahahahahah1
    hahahahahahah1 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    There is nothing wrong with LA wiz. I used to be a LA wiz a year ago, then i switch to AA at 90. I got to admit I miss the nice physical defense of LA+stone barrier also with better hp from refinement. When I switched to AA the damage increase was very small. LA compared to AA has very little difference in damage since most of a wizzie's damage comes from the weapon + base skill damage not the magic attributes. I was surprised at how little was the damage I gained when I switched my points back to pure. Overall if a person decides to make a build its up to them and how they want to play.

Now if you see a HA wiz I would really love to see their physical def with demon barrierb:dirty.
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I don't think anyone contends that a cleric can't be successful as an LA. The contention is that it's wasteful and bad advice to promote.
    You do realize that you're kind of contradicting yourself, right? If it can be successful, why would mentioning it be "bad advice to promote"?

Besides, I'm not "promoting" anything, I'm just saying it isn't necessarily as bad as some people, including apparently you, seem to think it is for clerics, at least up to level 69 (I make no claims for levels above that).
    This seems to suggest that the extra crits from LA are beneficial to mages when they're not because of the deficit of matk.
    No, actually it doesn't suggest that at all, since I specifically said that crits were not the reason why I went LA. Why would saying that I did it for the PDef instead of the crits suggest that the crits are so great?
    Many playing this game are ignorant and easily amused. Just look at all the ignorant ALL CAPS world chats, or the wasted ones asking for specific classes instead of roles. What you're suggesting is that you sacrificed your DD role to play a tank which makes you great at neither.
    Oh yeah, the other down side to playing an LA cleric was having to deal with the occasional bozo telling me how bad my cleric was, despite never having seen him in action. :-P

I have good gear (three stars and molds), including a level 2 tome, many citrines (gotten from CoA runs), a few +1/+2 refines, etc... plus all of my skills on my cleric are maxed for his level. I can stand toe-to-toe with most clerics of my level and win (and I usually win duels with other classes of my level too, much to their surprise).

Also, no, I didn't try to make a tank, I tried to make a cleric that wouldn't keel over in two hits the moment he got aggro and/or got hit with some AoE. And cleric is the healer role, not the DD role, except when you have more than one healer.

All I sacrificed was a small amount of power for a much increased PDef. For me, the trade off was, for the most part, well worth it.
    In Warsong: (blah, blah, blah...)
    My cleric just hit level 70, so that's totally irrelevant.
    Promoting LA for mages just benefits the boutique: not the players.
    We really need an eyeroll emoticon for comments like this.

The only thing from the boutique on my LA cleric is the tome and the MP charm, and I was completely open that the MP charm was one of the down sides to playing him. As for me, the player, it's been quite a benefit. So neither of those claims are particularly true.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Derressh - Dreamweaver
    Derressh - Dreamweaver Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    If I remember correctly, the guy believed he's a jedi. Nothing bad tho, we should fight the dark side!

/inb4darthpandasayingthatthedarksidewonalready b:avoid

b:chuckle I know EXACTLY who you're talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I main a 97 Psy named /\bra. The forums don't like his name.
    So I post on my Barb.
    [On possibly-permanent hiatus]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    LA veno isn't fail. At 78 and 79, I was soloing my BH59. Getting molds on most runs, sometimes up to 4 molds per run, made it worth it.

And before the QQing starts, I don't have a darn Herc.

I soloed it maybe 5 times, 4 times with wine. Took too long without. I did it 3 times with just myself and a cleric.

Also, as far as Fail goes... We did an FCC, and the Barb and Cleric refused to talk to eachother for some reason... Barb runs in, aggros everything, Cleric stays back. BM, wiz, sin goes with Barb. I stayed with the Cleric.

Everyone died except me and the cleric. I ended up soloing the entire first room, had aggro on EVERYTHING, and cleric was in BB. My pet died on the like first mob, so I was the sole DD. My hp charm never ticked once.

I was in LA. those mobs were doing phys and mag damage. HA or AA build, well... They would have probably been killed... Considering the rest of the party managed to kill 6 of the 30+ mobs in there. >_< Cleric stopped BB and started rezzing while half were still alive, too.

Cleric DCed in the next room... I ended up surviving and cleared the room, while another party wipe happened.

It's also nice to AOE 12 mobs and get a crit on 11 of them. I usually only crit one mob at a time while AOEing on my BM. b:laugh
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Xareena - Dreamweaver
    Xareena - Dreamweaver Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Saw a 6x archer with the newbie "Hand Axes of Demonic Roar" at PQ not too long ago. Really made me take a closer look.
  • Enreillia - Sanctuary
    Enreillia - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Well I usually hang around Ether sometimes. I notice the newbie wizzies and BMs now and then. I've seen wizzies in HA and I've seen BMs in AA. Though it's the free armor you get so I guess it really doesn't matter at the time. However a couple of weeks ago, I saw a veno in a full mountain crusher set with a magic sword. I'm not denying venos can't go HA. It's just that A) You don't see many, although most wear fashion so they could be sporting something other than AA. B) How did they stat both str and mag? Though it could have been a lowbie legendary magic sword. I forgot to look at that. I just looked at the armor.

I, for one, would love to see a clawzard. I need laughs once in a while. I'm not making fun of those who make strange builds for fun, but that guy seemed like he was serious. That's what makes it funny to me.
  • Ivy_ - Dreamweaver
    Ivy_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    As a former 6x-90 LA wiz, it is a viable build.

My pdef was awesome, so when other wizzies were dropping like flies in honey, I was able to take more hits. Yes, my damage was slightly gimped in comparison to a pure build, but meh, what's a few extra hits at lower levels?

The reason why I restatted arcane is because the gear got better for arcane users, and the LA build no longer suited what my playstyle became. And, oddly enough, this lesson that I learned playing a wizard helped me build my psy into...a super squish PITA. Would I have tried an LA build on a psy even if I didn't build an LA wiz? Probably not, the differences in damage would have been too much for me to handle. b:surrender

That LA wiz, however...did it wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Better known as Destini, also known as _Yvi.

ty Nowitsawn. :D

I dunno if I'm coming or going some days...b:shocked
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    However a couple of weeks ago, I saw a veno in a full mountain crusher set with a magic sword. I'm not denying venos can't go HA. It's just that A) You don't see many, although most wear fashion so they could be sporting something other than AA. B) How did they stat both str and mag? Though it could have been a lowbie legendary magic sword. I forgot to look at that. I just looked at the armor.

Lots of +stat (some combination of str, mag and dex) ornaments, tome, hat/helmet and cape, and the veno in question may well have been closer to 100 than to 90. Check out some of the builds posted in this sticky in the veno section for some builds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • King_Asmodei - Lost City
    King_Asmodei - Lost City Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    once upon a time i was successful in pk using magic weaps as a BM. was a lot of fun killing wizzys with their own weapons :P id also sport a mix of all 3 armours as well... i play games to have fun so why not mess with weird builds now and then
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sigh* I started as one of the few fists bms. I was ridiculed left and right now ur laughed at if you're not a fist bm. b:surrender
  • Yanami - Heavens Tear
    Yanami - Heavens Tear Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I don't know if this was mentioned before...

But there was actually a person on HT (maybe two of them, I don't remember) that was a HA-dual-axe-wielding cleric...

I really had a WTF moment lol.

I also have a friend that is a venomancer but he is using a bow...don't think he has any pets/magic skills. Been awhile since I last talked to him, so I dunno. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I don't know if this was mentioned before...

But there was actually a person on HT (maybe two of them, I don't remember) that was a HA-dual-axe-wielding cleric...

I really had a WTF moment lol.
    Reminds me of the time I found myself doing a BH with a polearm/pike (I forget which) wielding archer.

For a while I was like... b:puzzled

But she did a decent enough job, so it was no big deal. (I think she was a HA build too.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Blood_Panda - Raging Tide
    Blood_Panda - Raging Tide Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    i think builds are fair game when it comes to individual.

as long as you are happy , doesnt matter what build you use if you are able to use the max potential given by the change in build.

I played a pure vit barb till around lvl 60 plus..
    I was wearing **** lvl 30 armor with up to date phy ornament @ that level, wielding a freaking lame axe for lvl 20.

Everyone was like WTF @ first.. but everyone got used to it after a while when they realise i am still a great tank despite lacking the armor. And my HP was like really awesome.
    Build Aiming for : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=99d12b053ed06fe9
    Retired : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=a798089d5502e95b
    17k hp since level 92.. now @ 13k Hp on 100
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Weird builds are fine for the most part. But, when you have a HA Cleric who can't heal for ****, it kinda defeats the purpose of the class.

At the rate things are going with 5 aps having a huge advantage over -90 channeling, it's not really surprising to see mage classes re-roll to do aps instead of magic damage anyway.

I just liked the survivability that LA gave my veno, and I can hand the gear down to my Sin, BM, and Archer.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Bryanshrimp - Lost City
    Bryanshrimp - Lost City Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    <-ha healer. not a dd though plz dont get teh two mistaken. if you stat it right the gear gives nearly half the pnts you need for str and dex aka basically a vit arcane ep (3 vit though)
  • Stabbistabbi - Dreamweaver
    Stabbistabbi - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    yeah I know a few HA clerics, and they both tear face.

not to mention they are really good healers too b:victory
  • ArchSaber - Sanctuary
    ArchSaber - Sanctuary Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    That 1 weird sin Morty was the one who said "HA sin build is better then pure dex build".
    AP classes are a real butt pounding...
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    At the rate things are going with 5 aps having a huge advantage over -90 channeling, it's not really surprising to see mage classes re-roll to do aps instead of magic damage anyway.

What advantage? We can kill 100 mobs faster than a 5aps. We save on repairs. Range tanking requires less of our stats so we can focus more on dd. My own toon is a veno which can shave 20% HP at the start, Amp dmg to 30%, sometimes land an armor or mind break (0s ch/cast), stun a group of mobs from a distance while inflicting decent dmg, etc. -Can be better than having a 4th 5aps.
    I just liked the survivability that LA gave my veno, and I can hand the gear down to my Sin, BM, and Archer.

LA gives you less survivability and it gimps your atk unless you're 4aps claw.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    Naivety - Harshlands Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    What advantage? We can kill 100 mobs faster than a 5aps. We save on repairs. My own toon is a veno which can shave 20% HP at the start, Amp dmg to 30%, sometimes land an armor or mind break (0s ch/cast), stun a group of mobs from a distance while inflicting decent dmg, etc.

LA gives you less survivability and it gimps your atk unless you're 4aps claw.

LA > AA till endgame. Yes with AA you can exceed the defences of AA, but it requires somewhat expensive sharding and refining that most do not consider worth it until endgame EQ. As for the damage, it really doesnt affect it enough to give a **** about. Refine your wep once more or get a decent tome or a more OP ring, you balence it out.

---

@ArchSabre

Stupid thing keeps directing me to your damn core connect BS when I try to PM you.
    Lookup your HDD on google (On your sisters PC) and find the drivers for it. (Off the manufacturers website is safest). Put em on memory stick and when you load your install disc, there should be an option to load drivers for hard disc, might take some poking around to find. Typically your install disc will try to use default drivers and about 10% of the time, your HDD doesnt support them. If that doesnt work , then its highly possible your HDD got physically nuked (This is possible with a virus, it can ruin the motor by over-revving it a lot or slamming the reader heads into the buffer repeatedly).
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Whoa, whoa, okay stop chewing off my inner organs....I need those for Hanukkah.

This thread isn't "Hey, let's bash all the people who don't build classes like they're supposed to!" It's "I saw ____ build on a ______. It was ___________."
    I bashed the LA Wizard because he thought he could keep aggro from me. (Which....he didn't the entire bloody time.)

People with different builds aren't a problem, I have a HA Veno and love her to death. (Because it's hard as hell to kill her.) It's when you have that different build and insist that you're better than everybody else.....just because you have that build.
  • tweakz
    edited December 2010
    LA > AA till endgame. Yes with AA you can exceed the defences of AA, but it requires somewhat expensive sharding and refining that most do not consider worth it until endgame EQ.

The argument wasn't about defenses: it was about survivability. Expensive sharding and refining for that is NOT needed. The stat points wasted on dex could have been put in vit. Why also do you leave out ornaments that can be swapped for those 1/99% of times they're needed. I was pure mag all the way and didn't need those refines and imbues til the higher levels.
    As for the damage, it really doesnt affect it enough to give a **** about. Refine your wep once more or get a decent tome or a more OP ring, you balence it out.

Weapon refines cost. The point of not doing LA is to play wisely; not wasteful. It's not just about dps either: you lose max mp, mp recovery, %of max recovered, mdef, and reliability. There is no reasoning for LA.
  • Brionni - Harshlands
    Brionni - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I'm a LA veno, always dreaming of switching to HA, just still don't have enough points to put together the Mountcrasher set and my current weapon without buying an expensive tome. I also have channeling gear and an arcane set when I need higher magical def.
    I have also a HA cleric made for pure fun.
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    The argument wasn't about defenses: it was about survivability. Expensive sharding and refining for that is NOT needed. The stat points wasted on dex could have been put in vit. Why also do you leave out ornaments that can be swapped for those 1/99% of times they're needed. I was pure mag all the way and didn't need those refines and imbues til the higher levels.

Weapon refines cost. The point of not doing LA is to play wisely; not wasteful. It's not just about dps either: you lose max mp, mp recovery, %of max recovered, mdef, and reliability. There is no reasoning for LA.

I love this one. MP recover, recover % off spark and maximum MP mean NOTHING. Use a pot. at ~31k for 50 after Lv75, it really doesnt matter at all. As for MDef, you gain damn near nothing. And putting points into vit? To get the same survivability you pretty much have to sacrifice everything you would have put into dex and str.

MDef is almost irrelevent anyway, survivability is only need when something jumps you and that is almost always a Physical type mob. If it is Magical, it doesnt hit particularly frequently so you have plenty of time to do w/e you need to get out of trouble.

As for Ornaments, I mentioned refines, I kinda assumed people knew thay could refine Ornaments for the repective PDef / MDef. Or evasion if you swing that way.

You seem so sure that there is no reasoning for LA yet you find people fighting you every time you say it. Why are you so against what is evidently a popular and working idea?

Also, although ALMOST irrellevent, Clerics look ****** HOT in LA : http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/images/a/a2/Cleric1.jpg]

Man I remember wearing that set. All 4 soc immac HP. Lany was lightning hawt b:dirty
  • Allynna_ - Dreamweaver
    Allynna_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Isn't the point of LA Veno to be decent in Foxform without entirely scrapping your Matk/MP/Mdef by going HA? I mean the points are kinda wasted on Cleric, Psys, and Wizards, but on a Veno those points into Dex and Str actually do something besides let you wear armour. Other caster classes get jack-**** for evasion and accuracy, but Veno actually have an increase in those stats from Dex.

For fun I made this up just because: http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/%5C?char=fe7d35c92ac8333f

Bit expensive to do I would think, but you pretty much have an APS class that can be decent at magic to. Can't really do that with HA, you'd have to use Ewwvasion ornaments, and wouldn't have an up-to date Magic weapon, so your damage might actually be lower even with the extra str.

So, is this a viable end game build for LA? I mean you can still be decent with ranged magic, could even have a second weapon and switch rings sometimes.
  • tweakz
    edited December 2010
    I love this one. MP recover, recover % off spark and maximum MP mean NOTHING. Use a pot. at ~31k for 50 after Lv75, it really doesnt matter at all.

You're racking up ongoing expenses. -The point of not doing LA.
    As for MDef, you gain damn near nothing.

You don't gain any survivability from LA
    And putting points into vit? To get the same survivability you pretty much have to sacrifice everything you would have put into dex and str.

Many times people have demonstrated on these forums how much better vit build is than LA. It's pretty much your word against theirs until you can demonstrate it.
    MDef is almost irrelevent anyway, survivability is only need when something jumps you and that is almost always a Physical type mob. If it is Magical, it doesnt hit particularly frequently so you have plenty of time to do w/e you need to get out of trouble.

I guess you're going to do FF, warsong, VoS, etc mobs 1 by 1.
    You seem so sure that there is no reasoning for LA yet you find people fighting you every time you say it. Why are you so against what is evidently a popular and working idea?

Prove I'm wrong. All anyone has to do is a search on it to come up with compared builds that show AA as better. No one to my knowledge has actually demonstrated an actual advantage to LA.
  • tweakz
    edited December 2010
    Isn't the point of LA Veno to be decent in Foxform without entirely scrapping your Matk/MP/Mdef by going HA? I mean the points are kinda wasted on Cleric, Psys, and Wizards, but on a Veno those points into Dex and Str actually do something besides let you wear armour. Other caster classes get jack-**** for evasion and accuracy, but Veno actually have an increase in those stats from Dex.

For fun I made this up just because: http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/%5C?char=fe7d35c92ac8333f

Bit expensive to do I would think, but you pretty much have an APS class that can be decent at magic to. Can't really do that with HA, you'd have to use Ewwvasion ornaments, and wouldn't have an up-to date Magic weapon, so your damage might actually be lower even with the extra str.

So, is this a viable end game build for LA? I mean you can still be decent with ranged magic, could even have a second weapon and switch rings sometimes.

It has about half the matk my toon has and cost a hell of a lot more. Why by mediocre at both when you can excel at matk or patk?
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    You're racking up ongoing expenses. -The point of not doing LA.

You don't gain any survivability from LA

Many times people have demonstrated on these forums how much better vit build is than LA. It's pretty much your word against theirs until you can demonstrate it.

I guess you're going to do FF, warsong, VoS, etc mobs 1 by 1.

Prove I'm wrong. All anyone has to do is a search on it to come up with compared builds that show AA as better. No one to my knowledge has actually demonstrated an actual advantage to LA.

God, il grant you one thing : You're relentless.

The pot thing is not an ongoing expense you wouldnt already be doing ffs. And if you cant keep up with buying a few pots every so often, you have more problems than your chosen build.

Aside that, I seriously dont want to bother arguing with you. LA works, and most people find it to be better than AA until endgame/high 90s. Pen and paper dont mean jack when compared to real experience.

As a previously AA-corpse Cleric to LA refusing to bloody die Cleric and a now AA-Vit Cleric, I know your argument from the bottom up and il say again, until endgame, LA is much easier to work with than AA.

I dare you to level a cleric in LA. Go on, you seem to have enough time to **** around calculating and arguing with people, you have plenty of time to get a cleric to 9x in LA.

Inb4IdontneedtoleveloneIcanusesomeonescalculationsandproveitsux - Yeah, if I bother I could prove that Wizards using Wands will fight better than Wizards with Glaives. I dont becaues it really doesnt bother me, its their choice of spike or consistancy.
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    A level 90 something heavy armor cleric in OHT HA armor weilding TT90 AXES. Not a magic weap. AXES!
    b:dirty
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    A level 90 something heavy armor cleric in OHT HA armor weilding TT90 AXES. Not a magic weap. AXES!

I know who do you mean. b:chuckle
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • tweakz
    edited December 2010

Aside that, I seriously dont want to bother arguing with you.

Then stop. I asked for proof; not ongoing ****.

LA works, and most people find it to be better than AA until endgame/high 90s.

-Source?
This discussion has been closed.