Strangest Builds--

Born_Free - Harshlands
Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
Now usually my friends and I will level around the same time due to school and work...and so when we actually DO stuff, we get on vent and all that other neat little stuff. It's our regular thing, I guess.
So today I went out and decided to do more than just lurk around West Archosaur (and clutter the chatbox with songs about cake)....so we gathered up...a few of the people who weren't regular to the group showed up, and off we went.
And then the most hilarious thing happened: the Wizard opens his mouth and says--

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/xyz_02/LMAOAO.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/xyz_02/LMAO.jpg

Those pretty much speak for themselves.
It was about this point in time where we realized this guy actually thought...that he was going to be able to tank with two archers and me spamming double sparks.

After calling him a lunatic to his face and going off with the others to AoE the mobs, he suddenly drops those of us laughing at him out of squad and attempts to try and kill us.
When he realized using fists wasn't the best idea in this case, he finally rubbed his braincells hard enough and used a rather crummy wand. The Wizard did end up getting me and one of the archers, only due to the fact we were at half HP to begin with, but still, credit where credit is due.

Have you ever experienced something weird like that, such as an Arcane Barb, or a Heavy Armor Psychic? I'm just so curious to see what other interesting combinations have been though up on other servers. (Just....don't nameshame.)

I wonder though...who would win in a fight, an LA wiz, or the arcane barb? b:shocked
Post edited by Born_Free - Harshlands on

Comments

• Fresh_Aire - Dreamweaver
    Fresh_Aire - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Two words:

Arcane Blademaster. b:chuckle
    Once I was a Werebeast named T/\nk.

Now the game is no longer fun. I'm retired.
  • Tricannon - Dreamweaver
    Tricannon - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    well i will say the concept of LA wizard is still a very plausable build. hell on my server theres a HA wizzie who yes doesnt hit as hard but hes a friggin pain to kill. so long as they build it right LA wizzies are pretty hard core. but in this instance.....i have to 100% agree with u....was he srsly using fist? anyways as i said concept of the builds arnt bad its just the player has to know the limitations and such.
    If I sound like I hate you, please don't take it personally...chances are I actually do.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    well i will say the concept of LA wizard is still a very plausable build. hell on my server theres a HA wizzie who yes doesnt hit as hard but hes a friggin pain to kill. so long as they build it right LA wizzies are pretty hard core. but in this instance.....i have to 100% agree with u....was he srsly using fist? anyways as i said concept of the builds arnt bad its just the player has to know the limitations and such.

Dollar for dollar, coin for coin: LA is fail for wiz, cleric, veno, etc. You can cover up a lot of flaws by throwing money at them.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear
    Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I've met some pretty awesome LA Wizzies in my time. Thats not one of them, LOL. Fists, really? >.>!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
    Gwendolynne : 101/SageVeno - Xyleena : 102/DemonCleric
    Delecroix : 101/DemonSin - Anatoxin : 9x/SagePsy
    Raevynne : 100/DemonBM - GotMeTwisted : 8x/SageSeeker
    Deicidea : 8x/Mystic - Diva : 95/SageBM/Retired
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    There's nothing wrong with an LA wiz. There is something very wrong with a claw wiz though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • tweakz
    edited December 2010
    There's nothing wrong with an LA wiz. There is something very wrong with a claw wiz though.

There is because there's absolutely no benefit to it while there are many drawbacks. I'm not saying they should be rejected from squads, but I will say that they're greatly wasting their resources. The only slightly rational excuse for it that I could come up with is if it's because they're sharing equips with another toon.
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I made a fist psychic out of boredom... but it is only lv15... where as to I have a arcane Psychic at lv100 so it's not like it is intended to be anything other than amusement.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    tweakz wrote: »
    There is because there's absolutely no benefit to it while there are many drawbacks. I'm not saying they should be rejected from squads, but I will say that they're greatly wasting their resources.

Honestly, it depends on the magic class and what they're being used for. Clerics, IMO, should never go LA simply because heals cannot crit and, as a cleric, that's what you end up doing most of the time. It's the same for mainly human form venos that rely on their pets to tank while they spam heal.

Now...LA may not be the best build overall, but it's not a total fail build like an arcane archer or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Woneo - Harshlands
    Woneo - Harshlands Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    clawric, please step forward.

It's a shame mystic (pandora) didn't see this topic. He would probably eat your **** off.
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I've seen some pretty badass LA Wizards on HT..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I've seen arcane barbs and BMs, but only at low levels (teens at the highest), and quite often dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Honestly, it depends on the magic class and what they're being used for. Clerics, IMO, should never go LA simply because heals cannot crit and, as a cleric, that's what you end up doing most of the time. It's the same for mainly human form venos that rely on their pets to tank while they spam heal.

Now...LA may not be the best build overall, but it's not a total fail build like an arcane archer or something.
    For what it's worth, I've been a pretty successful LA cleric, at least up to level 69 (I just hit 70). I didn't go LA for the crits, but so that I could better survive getting aggro (though the crits are nice). Heck, I even tanked Rankar twice at level 69. I've often gotten complements like, "Nice to have a competent cleric for a change," or even the occasional, "Epic cleric!" when I tanked a boss or survived aggroing 3 or 4 mobs at once. The combination of the cleric buffs with LA means much better PDef, and add in a Plume Shell and a few heals, and I can survive stuff that would kill any arcane cleric of the same level. Of course, it helps that I've built up some really nice gear too.

So, yes, admittedly I'm not as powerful as a pure arcane, but a dead cleric can't heal at all, if you know what I mean.

The major down side is that I blow through MP like crazy, so I either have to have an MP charm or be constantly potting. Being ~10% less powerful than a pure arcane has only been an issue when healing in an instance that was meant for 10+ levels above me, but even then, doing BB was usually enough.

All in all though, I love being a Light Armor cleric!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • WerewovenRAM - Lost City
    WerewovenRAM - Lost City Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    On PW-PH dragon server my best friend and I played swapped builds xD

I was a hvy mage with almost 20k pdef by lvl85 with my earth shield.

And he was an arca barb. Thank god we had the monies to support the builds. Imagine getting roll'd by a Barb with a robe n wand b:chuckle
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Sangodoc wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I've been a pretty successful LA cleric, at least up to level 69 (I just hit 70). I didn't go LA for the crits, but so that I could better survive getting aggro (though the crits are nice). Heck, I even tanked Rankar twice at level 69. I've often gotten complements like, "Nice to have a competent cleric for a change," or even the occasional, "Epic cleric!" when I tanked a boss or survived aggroing 3 or 4 mobs at once. The combination of the cleric buffs with LA means much better PDef, and add in a Plume Shell and a few heals, and I can survive stuff that would kill any arcane cleric of the same level. Of course, it helps that I've built up some really nice gear too.

So, yes, admittedly I'm not as powerful as a pure arcane, but a dead cleric can't heal at all, if you know what I mean.

The major down side is that I blow through MP like crazy, so I either have to have an MP charm or be constantly potting. Being ~10% less powerful than a pure arcane has only been an issue when healing in an instance that was meant for 10+ levels above me, but even then, doing BB was usually enough.

All in all though, I love being a Light Armor cleric!

Im a pure cleric and i met another pure cleric in a bh 51 today.

we were the same lvl, our hp and mana were almost identical.
    the only difference being, i was using - channeling (arcane) ornaments

and she was using physical ones.

my def was about 1.4 k p def and 6.5k magical
    hers was 2.8 k p def and 3.9k magical.

this is with bm and cleric buffs

i was amazed on how much p def she could gain with just ornaments.

From now on im going to carry a set of p def ornaments for when i need them
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I had an Axe melee cleric that I managed to hit about lv83 with. The only difference being that I did not in any way pretend the build was viable or better than any other alternative. It was purely for fun.

However, winning quite a number of public quests and stealing agro off axe BM's in BH59 was always a lot of fun. The fact that caster spark doesn't affect melee attack in any way whatsoever really killed it though and the character pretty much became a rez slave and bank alt.

Also, I once saw an arcane sword BM at 6x in Public Quest once. o.o;
  • tweakz
    edited December 2010
    Sangodoc wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I've been a pretty successful LA cleric, at least up to level 69 (I just hit 70).

I don't think anyone contends that a cleric can't be successful as an LA. The contention is that it's wasteful and bad advice to promote.
    I didn't go LA for the crits, but so that I could better survive getting aggro (though the crits are nice). Heck, I even tanked Rankar twice at level 69.

This seems to suggest that the extra crits from LA are beneficial to mages when they're not because of the deficit of matk.
    I've often gotten complements like, "Nice to have a competent cleric for a change," or even the occasional, "Epic cleric!" when I tanked a boss or survived aggroing 3 or 4 mobs at once.

Many playing this game are ignorant and easily amused. Just look at all the ignorant ALL CAPS world chats, or the wasted ones asking for specific classes instead of roles. What you're suggesting is that you sacrificed your DD role to play a tank which makes you great at neither.

In Warsong: the more powerful the cleric -the more I can kill at a time, and they hit with mag. BB is not always enough depending on cleric. When we reach end game gears and start getting heavier on refines: we're able to do more. It helps if our squad mates can keep up.

You get less max mp which equates to less MP recovery, and gain from spark. More hits per kill equates to more MP cost per kill and less productivity. Less HP per heal costs as well. The cost could have been applied to better gear (investment rather than thrown away). Vit could have been used instead of dex (though even statting vit isn't much better).

Promoting LA for mages just benefits the boutique: not the players.
  • Ixliti - Sanctuary
    Ixliti - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I had an 80x ha wiz tank fb69 pole/nob for me once back before bh came out. she had a +11 mirage sword.. all i was saying to myself the whole run was "wtf"
  • Thedarkrealm - Lost City
    Thedarkrealm - Lost City Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited December 2010
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    clawric, please step forward.

It's a shame mystic (pandora) didn't see this topic. He would probably eat your **** off.

Former clawric, stepping forward!
  • HealingBliss - Lost City
    HealingBliss - Lost City Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Plume shotting a heavy cleric thinking to myself (why won't you die????) Then i found out he was heavy and used tempest :P
    Shhh don't troll, it's yulk bait.
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Hey, my Cleric has the same BH O.o.
  • Nymara - Dreamweaver
    Nymara - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I was helping out a friend for someones fb51.... because the cleric had 1939 mp at lvl 60. She used fists, was HA, and ....uh...yea... there really isn't more to be said... except she had the idea that she could tank and melee DD.

Fail Cleric win b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stoned/ - Harshlands
    stoned/ - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    whats strange about a LA wiz? Therese quite a bit of them....
  • Eyeofthtiger - Sanctuary
    Eyeofthtiger - Sanctuary Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    When nirvana / nien event came out ive seen:

Claw veno
    Claw wizard
    Claw cleric

And i'm myself a happy claw barb which im making good money with b:laugh

My friend (an Archer) wanted me to take him trough his bh once and he was bow-barian xD.
  • Scorched_Sky - Sanctuary
    Scorched_Sky - Sanctuary Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I had an 80x ha wiz tank fb69 pole/nob for me once back before bh came out. she had a +11 mirage sword.. all i was saying to myself the whole run was "wtf"

Omg I've seen that person. Had the same impression b:shocked
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    Naivety - Harshlands Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    LA for mage types isnt bad. Its just not the best. And it depends what you do with it.

My Cleric was LA from 3/4x to100 and did perfectly fine, usually refusing to die when ive seen other Clerics hit the dirt in about 2 taken hits. Now shes max (Like 160 or so b:chuckle) Vit minimum Magic build and its just the same. I just dont die easily with 57xx HP.

I went LA purely so I wouldnt die anytime I took aggro or someone screwed up or w/e and it worked fine until very very late on. Became an issue upon encountering Abaddon and its bosses monstrous Mag AoEs however at which point, knowing how to shard my gear, I switched to AA and gained more survivability. But early on this wouldnt have been reasonable, I didnt know how to shard effectively, I couldnt afford to really shard anything (First char, fail moneymaker)(Still am tbh xD) anyway and going pure mag as some people say is best just made me die.... I levelled up alongside a cleric friend who doesnt play much anymore and hes pure mag. All he does is die, its sad.

Basically, LA is fine imo, just not the best route to try and endgame with unless you pour loads of cash into it.

Claws is a bit daft tho o_O

---

HA Wizard? Been there, done that on other versions. It works, if you can put the effort, time and money in. And dont make dumb mistakes like going full HA. Chest/legs HA with AA Wrists and boots is brilliant, although some might go AA legs and HA boots. Best to get 2 sets of amulets both PDef and MDef and switch when appropriate. If I get really bored il make my PWI Wizzy HA at some point and prove the point :P

---

Oh, Tweakz, use a pot (33k or less for 50 x 5kMP pots? You can grind that on Lv 50 mobs), MP regen in battle fails, sparking for MP is almost as crud (Plus I prefer to keep my sparks for emergencies), gears cost money and vit is pro until you have epic gears. Hell, even if you have epic gears (Say 8k HP) an extra 20% or so from vit is a HELL of a lot more still. And if you can afford 8kHP on gears, you can afford a +10/11/12 weapon which will be more than neccecery to heal anything no matter how much mag you have, or dont have.
  • grimreaperhc
    grimreaperhc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    LA/AA Blademaster with swords.
  • Saturday - Harshlands
    Saturday - Harshlands Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    tweakz wrote: »
    Dollar for dollar, coin for coin: LA is fail for wiz, cleric, veno, etc. You can cover up a lot of flaws by throwing money at them.
    LA was never fail for wiz before 90. Before 90, there is hardly any good equipment for arcane that gives good pdef. Also, hardly anyone would want to shard high grade shards to compensate for the low pdef arcane armor gives. LA vs AA before 90: LA has much higher p.def, higher hp (from hp shards and hp helm), higher crit (crit significantly more as mages do not have high crit before 90). The downside is the minimal damage difference when compared to pure int((with low level weapon with low refines, the extra magic pure int has doesnt really increase the actual damage much) and the mdef (most of the time, you will be facing blademasters, sins and archer rather than wizards, so it doesnt really matter much imo). LA for wizard before 90 is a really good choice (better than pure int imo) for pvp.

However, I can agree that LA is pretty fail for veno and cleric. Most veno I've seen remain in human form regardless in pvp or pve. Unless you plan to remain in fox form most of the time, veno should not go LA as it doesnt gives much p.def increase. For cleric, that 60% extra p.def from vanguard spirit isnt going to make your pdef sufficient. Keep in mind that for wizard, stone barrier gives 100% extra pdef and that wizards can also receive cleric's buffs.

LA wiz isnt strange nor fail, LA cleric and veno are.
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    Naivety - Harshlands Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    LA/AA Blademaster with swords.

LA BMs used to exist, back in the day. Pure DD tho, no real capability to co-tank :(

AA would be funny. Aside the points wasted in the mag for armor, I wonder if Bell + Marrowing would actually make it workable tho? Who has a BM and a reset scroll and wants to try? b:chuckle
  • grimreaperhc
    grimreaperhc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    LA BMs used to exist, back in the day. Pure DD tho, no real capability to co-tank :(

AA would be funny. Aside the points wasted in the mag for armor, I wonder if Bell + Marrowing would actually make it workable tho? Who has a BM and a reset scroll and wants to try? b:chuckle

If I remember correctly, the guy believed he's a jedi. Nothing bad tho, we should fight the dark side!

/inb4darthpandasayingthatthedarksidewonalready b:avoid
This discussion has been closed.