RE: the (D)evolution of Gameplay now that everyone has R8

ShadowX - Raging Tide
ShadowX - Raging Tide Posts: 32 Arc User
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
Before considering rank armor,

First think about this:
What is your hp?
What are your defenses?
What is left to remedy the +30 atk jones blessing in pvp?

Now:
Compared to before, what is now the price of dragon orbs in coins? in gold?

Finally:
How much harder do rank weapons hit?
(TT99+7<unrefined R8 weapon; with r8, I hit 5k noncrit, nonbuffed, no debuffs on LA)

PvP has transformed, but into what?
-Sins are still as (and even more) dominant now with their anti-1 shot skill and the ability to hit first.
-Rank8 is "balanced" only when you have the high refine levels to survive.
-Skills are irrelevant in a "whoever hits first gets to one-shots the other" situation.

Who has really "improved"?
What purpose does getting rank8 (or 9) actually serve in PvE?
What purpose does giving most non-csers rank8 (most high-level non-csers should be able to afford this by the end of the month) and giving csers rank9 actually serve in competitive PvP?

Quit fooling yourself, this game has only devolved even more.
Yes, everyone can grind/kill mobs slightly faster in pve with rank equipment (survivability has NOT increased). b:chuckle
But, everyone is weaker in pvp except the people that
-charge cash right now-
to refine their new rank8 (or 9) armors and their defensive ornaments. b:bye
Post edited by ShadowX - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Well I don't have rank 8.
  • Haden - Dreamweaver
    Haden - Dreamweaver Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Wont change people still wont be sought out for squads unless they have 5.0 :P
    Good intentions are like peeing yourself in dark leather pants, you get warm feelings inside, but it doesn't show.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Oh great, another QQ thread about CSers.

Last I checked DOrb prices haven't changed for coins purchase because of rank sale. Yesterday I could buy a 10* for 50m and a ton of 1* for 138k ea. Last I checked, my Nirvana pants were more desirable and rank 8 wrists aren't available. My OHT neck is far better. My rank 8 weapon might hit a lot harder when refined the same but it's lacking -12%ch. The CSers are having a problem keeping up with the non-CSers: not the other way around.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • TheMagicPimp - Raging Tide
    TheMagicPimp - Raging Tide Posts: 1,946 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Even if they do that , some ppl will get r9 and refine it sky high . Also , r9 armors won't keep up with the r9 weap combined with the extra attack over def lvls it gives .
    It's all about LoL,yo.
  • KingJoel - Raging Tide
    KingJoel - Raging Tide Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Congratz to all the High Lvl Noobs lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I just saw an archer with an rank 8 +4 bow and TT90 +2 armor. Should I be scared? b:question
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I just saw an archer with an rank 8 +4 bow and TT90 +2 armor. Should I be scared? b:question

There will be more....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Rank8 gave about every archer and sin I know 5aps.

So instead of spending $300 on -0.05 interval tome, they spent $72 on -0.10 interval.

Grats! b:victory
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Bobzl - Sanctuary
    Bobzl - Sanctuary Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    You forgot to add that, in addition with everyone having r8, very few people can actually afford charms anymore and charm prices are just going to get higher (unless they put them on sale soon for like 2-3 gold b:surrender)

So ya, people with greater clicking speed will win in average-geared pvp xD
  • tweakz
    edited December 2010
    You forgot to add that, in addition with everyone having r8, very few people can actually afford charms anymore and charm prices are just going to get higher (unless they put them on sale soon for like 2-3 gold b:surrender)

So ya, people with greater clicking speed will win in average-geared pvp xD

1) Charms are a coin sink / luxury/ bandaid for poor builds: not a necessity.
    2) I only got Rank 8 for one of my characters which started at 59k rep before the sale: it's still uncommon.
    3) Incomes are just going to get higher.

I don't understand why non cash shoppers complain. It's the CS'ers that have lost far more by this sale.
  • Noskrad - Heavens Tear
    Noskrad - Heavens Tear Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Before considering rank armor,

First think about this:
    What is your hp?
    What are your defenses?
    What is left to remedy the +30 atk jones blessing in pvp?

Now:
    Compared to before, what is now the price of dragon orbs in coins? in gold?

Finally:
    How much harder do rank weapons hit?
    (TT99+7<unrefined R8 weapon; with r8, I hit 5k noncrit, nonbuffed, no debuffs on LA)

PvP has transformed, but into what?
    -Sins are still as (and even more) dominant now with their anti-1 shot skill and the ability to hit first.
    -Rank8 is "balanced" only when you have the high refine levels to survive.
    -Skills are irrelevant in a "whoever hits first gets to one-shots the other" situation.

Who has really "improved"?
    What purpose does getting rank8 (or 9) actually serve in PvE?
    What purpose does giving most non-csers rank8 (most high-level non-csers should be able to afford this by the end of the month) and giving csers rank9 actually serve in competitive PvP?

Quit fooling yourself, this game has only devolved even more.
    Yes, everyone can grind/kill mobs slightly faster in pve with rank equipment (survivability has NOT increased). b:chuckle
    But, everyone is weaker in pvp except the people that
    -charge cash right now-
    to refine their new rank8 (or 9) armors and their defensive ornaments. b:bye

dude... the only thing that changed is that PvE is a lil easier with R8 set, PvP still being as always: the ones who have money to refine gears win.

Now seriously, what's the point of this post? >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. X3
    edited December 2010
    tweakz wrote: »
    1) Charms are a coin sink / luxury/ bandaid for poor builds: not a necessity.
    2) I only got Rank 8 for one of my characters which started at 59k rep before the sale: it's still uncommon.
    3) Incomes are just going to get higher.

I don't understand why non cash shoppers complain. It's the CS'ers that have lost far more by this sale.

1) Fail logic. Charms are not a coin sink. They are a gold sink. No coin disappears when you buy one except from your inventory. That doesn't mean they vanish.

2) Fail assumption. In my faction, we had 2 Rank 8's. Two days after the sale we have over 50. Even my wifey bought Rank 8 for her lvl 60 mage to use when they hit 100. Pretty much everyone has Rank 8 now.

3) lolwut?

No, pretty much everyone is screwed, except for the classes that benefit most from R8. Archers, sins, mages and psychics.
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I watched urDian beat down two 9x Assassins. He didn't even move.
    There's a high chance that he has close to 20k Soulforce...without refines.

He could probably oneshot any BM or Assassin without a single problem with Soulburn or Red Tide. (I won't even mention the 100 skills, the thought simply terrifies me.)

....Anybody still think that Rank 8 isn't a problem?
  • Cheze - Lost City
    Cheze - Lost City Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    1) Fail logic. Charms are not a coin sink. They are a gold sink. No coin disappears when you buy one except from your inventory. That doesn't mean they vanish.

2) Fail assumption. In my faction, we had 2 Rank 8's. Two days after the sale we have over 50. Even my wifey bought Rank 8 for her lvl 60 mage to use when they hit 100. Pretty much everyone has Rank 8 now.

3) lolwut?

No, pretty much everyone is screwed, except for the classes that benefit most from R8. Archers, sins, mages and psychics.

o.O only 2?
    edited December 2010
    o.O only 2?

2 maybe 3. Yup. Before this sale there were maybe 2 dozen people on the server with Rank 8, maybe less.

Now.... there are hundreds. Someone was talking about being in-squad with a Rank 8 wizard with only 2k hp. lol
  • QuickClaw - Lost City
    QuickClaw - Lost City Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    michael i can think of at least a dozen people who had rank 8 before the sale and there were many more working on it.

doesnt really change the point though every man and thier dog has it now, hence why im going for rank 9 :P
    Frankieraye:
    I'm not too worried about susa really. r9 does not exist in the real world
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Wonder if r8/9 had anything to do with CoA ending 33 minutes into it....hmm....

On average, it was about 45 minutes into it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    RepBadges.jpg

hehe am i a rank 8 noob?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
    edited December 2010
    michael i can think of at least a dozen people who had rank 8 before the sale and there were many more working on it.

doesnt really change the point though every man and thier dog has it now, hence why im going for rank 9 :P

/facepalm

Did you even read what I said?

I said there probably wasn't even TWO DOZEN.

Please name more than 2 dozen.

Also, please name more than 2 or 3 Rank 8 that was in Essence immediately before the sale.

If not, GTFO.

b:bye

/thread
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2010
    /facepalm

Did you even read what I said?

I said there probably wasn't even TWO DOZEN.

Please name more than 2 dozen.

Also, please name more than 2 or 3 Rank 8 that was in Essence immediately before the sale.

If not, GTFO.

b:bye

/thread

Nerd Rage Much? b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
    edited December 2010
    Nerd Rage Much? b:chuckle

My join date > your join date.

I win.

b:pleased
  • Ryukino - Sanctuary
    Ryukino - Sanctuary Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2010

I win.

my join date > your join date

I win.

b:cuteb:victoryb:pleased
  • Ivy_ - Dreamweaver
    Ivy_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Okay...boys, boys, back in your corners!! Before I sharpen my souldrill. HA! I CAN SHARPEN MY SOULDRILL!

Anyways, I admit that when I did go rank 8, I lost ~300 hp and about 100 pdef. But that's an easy fix sooner or later. But there are some people who are rank 8 that...wouldn't survive someone farting on them with their old gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Better known as Destini, also known as _Yvi.

ty Nowitsawn. :D

I dunno if I'm coming or going some days...b:shocked
  • saphire1960
    saphire1960 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2010

I win.

I win.

b:pleasedb:chuckle
    Race: Elf
    Class: Bard
    Name: (you will see)
    edited December 2010
    my join date > your join date

I win.

Yes, you do... but..... you lose.

I win.

The Winnrar!
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2010
    both of them are me so i win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

• Ivy_ - Dreamweaver
    Ivy_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    *sharpens souldrill* >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Better known as Destini, also known as _Yvi.

ty Nowitsawn. :D

I dunno if I'm coming or going some days...b:shocked
  • Aelo - Harshlands
    Aelo - Harshlands Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    The devolution of gameplay, to coin your term, did not begin with people being able to easily obtain rank8 gear. In fact I would not say that the gameplay devolved if I define gameplay strictly in terms of skills, mechanisms etc and how they work together to give you control over your character and determine how it interacts with the game environment.

What I would say is that the methods required for certain achievements have changed and that the developer have not made the necessary changes as yet to reflect those changes.

A prime example is PvE and bms. Due to interval gear many bms are able to obtain 3-5 attacks per second. How has this changed the game? Well they do not have to rely on skills to kill bosses. If they are charmed and have assassin blood buff they do not need a cleric for certain bosses. If they have enough hp they do not need a barb to come tank a boss. A bm at this point is capable of far more than what perhaps the developers originally envisioned OR perhaps they envisioned it but not to the extent that so many players would have achieved it by now. Considering that packs allowed alot of the gear into the game that gave rise to the 'aps' craze I doubt it was not envisioned by the developers or once they realised the profitability of the craze they allowed it to go full throttle.

Another example is Venomancres using hercs and phoenixes. In one instance Hercs allowed the veno class to become the defacto solo kings (until the aps craze hit in full) and in the other flesh ream on nixes gave them a very nice pvp advantage (I remember when harshlands first started the top faction had a good few nix/reamers doing the TWs), of course 5aps bm and sins wreak far more havoc than the firey birds now.

The game advanced to the state also that many top players have well refined and sharded gears. On harshlands I will never forget watchnig a certain unbuffed sin with +12 Nirvanas downing a bh boss that 2 decently geared 9xs struggled with in exactly 4 seconds (I counted real time).

My points from these few examples are that the characters have been quite powerful for quite some while just not many of them.

What this R8 era has done is to empower more players and in light of the fact that so many players have 90+ characters I see little wrong with pushing the game into a higher gear provided that the developers make upgrades to the PvE in terms of making higher level areas that are difficult even with R8 gear as well as the PvP by making the requisite skill nerfs/boost or perhaps PvP damage calculations.

To me all the buthurting aside because certain people don't feel elite anymore this r8 era has upped the level of competition and now the game seems more competitive as other factions being able to offer up more of a challenge to the top factions.

All of what I have said is evidence enough to me that far from devolving, the gameplay has evolved and its time the dynamics shifted to reflect the evolution. This has happened in many other mmos that I have played (and I have seriously played quite a few of them). As the player got better gears and better skills the developer upped the ante. Making r8 cheap was just thir way of giving the population that little push so they can up their ante as well.

on an aside to the person talking about a certain psychic on harshlands:

said psychic is r9 and has about 4 pieces of r9 gear from what I saw, soulsphere, chest,ring, belt. Said psychic also has nirvana +12 gear etc. Said psychic has alot of money to spend and is playing a class that does a tremendous amount of damage. The belt I believe adds an additional 2500 soul force and said character has +def level stones in every socket. Said character was always (prior to rank sale) heads and shoulders above the average and even not so average players. Please do not use said player as an example of what r8 has done because they were pwning almost everyone well before the rank sale.

Which brings me to a point I have made elsewhere before. Even in the aftermath of the rank sale the order of things still has not changed. Even though a lot of player have benefitted from r8 and are now better able to compete, the top factions on Harshlands still remain at the top and the top players still remain pwn everyone in their path.

Embrace change and adapt. The processes of evolution or even (d)evolution do not wait for those that cannot adapt and leave them behind.
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Edit: ^loltldr.

Wow, +4. That's a lot more effort than some of the new R8 Archers I've seen on HT put into their shiny equips. b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • tweakz
    edited December 2010
    Now.... there are hundreds. Someone was talking about being in-squad with a Rank 8 wizard with only 2k hp. lol

Rank 8 requires level 100. A level 100 PURE MAG wiz has over 2k HP w/o equips. Rank 8 pants and shirt alone unrefined adds over 300.

I heard pigs fly.