Moderator Application Thread!

frankieraye
frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
Hey guys,

The events of the Modpocalypse a couple weeks ago made it clear that you all would appreciate having someone you're already familiar with become a mod of these here forums.

While I think that you'll all come to trust Grim and Shelly in time (if you haven't done so already), I'm going to go ahead and open up the opportunity for one of the trusted and respected forum regulars to become a mod.

So this is the thread, and here are the rules of the thread:

1. Post your application here, and only here (i.e. no new threads).

2. Explain why you want to be a mod, and why you would be a good mod.

3. Absolutely no flaming allowed in this thread! Flaming people in this thread will earn a temp ban from the forums.

4. If you have a problem with one of the applicants (i.e. you don't think they'd do a good job), then what you need to do is PM me about it, explaining your argument against the player. The thread isn't meant to be a place to debate the merits of the applicants.

5. No nominating other players; this thread is solely for people actually applying for the position.

6. Any non-relevant posts will be removed from the thread.

7. The application period will end in one week (10-18-10) at Noon PDT. All applications need to be posted by that point.

A few final things to keep in mind before you apply:

1. Moderating is a strictly voluntary, unpaid position.

2. Mods receive no perks aside from a direct line to PWE Staff.

3. Moderating is a fairly thankless job; if you're doing it to be loved, you're in for a rude awakening.

3. There are technically no post quotas, but we would like you to be relatively active on the boards.

4. The player ultimately chosen as Mod will first have a test run (maybe 2-3 weeks) where they might just have to take care of a sub-forum first, just to make sure they're up to the task.

Thanks and good luck; I look forward to reading all of your applications. b:victory

Edit: I'm looking to get one new mod from this process.
Post edited by frankieraye on

Comments

• SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    This thread is going to be really interesting. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • Woneo - Harshlands
    Woneo - Harshlands Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Oh yes, I cannot wait to see the responses... b:thanks
  • Scandalous - Dreamweaver
    Scandalous - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Good luck to all applicants. (:
    Back from Retirement

Calamity taking over Dreamweaver since March 2009.
    RIP Calamity - October 30th / 2010
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I would like to know why frankie is using my font color.

Also I think it would probably be better to have people PM you applications, IMO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Lenore - Harshlands
    Lenore - Harshlands Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    It's just too bad a few people I thought would have liked to apply have chosen to leave the forum already.
    I would like to know why frankie is using my font color.

Take it as a compliment :P
    edited October 2010
    It's just too bad a few people I thought would have liked to apply have chosen to leave the forum already.

That is true, and they have helped many people around the forums making them worthy of being mods but sadly that won't ever happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    All right guys, remember, applications ONLY in this thread; non-relevant posts will be removed after this.
  • Aisubeki - Sanctuary
    Aisubeki - Sanctuary Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    *removed*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    remember our fallen heroes
  • Jakob - Harshlands
    Jakob - Harshlands Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    *removed*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    All right guys, remember, applications ONLY in this thread; non-relevant posts will be removed after this.

Alright we understand.

Sorry for getting off-topic. b:surrender

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • Woneo - Harshlands
    Woneo - Harshlands Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    *removed*
  • Lenore - Harshlands
    Lenore - Harshlands Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    This isn't exactly an app nor is it off topic but I think it would be useful to clarify....exactly how many mods you are aiming for? If I assume that you read most of the posts on this forum, you'd know that we simply LACK mods, and I like that you're trying to fix that with this application thread, but I think a little number estimate would be helpful to feed the masses.
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Lenore, Please PM FrankieRaye about it, if needed, he'll edit the post with the relevant answer.

Regards
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Well, I've been posting here for quite some time. My first character I posted on was very active and started posting on him about 2-3 months after the game went live.

So, why do I want to be a mod? Over the almost 2 years now I've posted here I've noticed and participated with the community a lot. I've learnt that, generally, the forums are tame and perform well, however some actions, usually within the game although not always the case given recent events, cause the community to go into an uproar, such as the first introduction of anniversary packs, removal of TW pay, etc. I would like to keep things in check during these times and help maintain a sense of normality as much as possible. To see the truly irrelevant threads gone, and spam and flamebaiting kept to a minimum.

I think I would be good because I can bring experience. As mentioned I have put quite some time into these forums. I know most of the regular posters, I know the rules, I know how to spot legitimate threads from troll threads, I know the difference between toeing the line and crossing it. I've been around for quite some time, and I have seen just about everything there is too see on these forums. I've done my fair shair of "trolling" but like konari did, I know when it goes too far and is more than harmless. I always keep it in check. I basically know the people, know the rules, and I know when enough is enough. I've basically seen it all.

You said that you are looking for someone that is known on these forums and trusted. While I am not one to make an issue out of post counts, I will acknowledge that a quick glance at my post count should assure you of my activity level as well as how well I am known on these forums, most people instantly recognize deep sky blue as my posting color and notice my posts more often.

With regards,

Rawrgh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • LovesTragedy - Lost City
    LovesTragedy - Lost City Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Figure I may as well place an application.

I know I may not have a high post count, but I have been on these boards from the moment I started this game on my first character a year and a half ago. For a while I was a simple lurker, reading everything but posting little, then when I made this character I decided to try to become more involved. Unfortunately, soon after I made that decision the events leading up to the "Modpocalpyse" (imo, take out the P, Modocalpyse rolls off the tongue better) started, and I found the state of the community to be undesirable. I rarely troll, unless I feel there is a good reason (in which case its not trolling, really), and have no qualms against stopping outright.

My biggest saving grace is that I know the limits of the staff, I have tried in the past to defend some of the actions you guys have taken when its not you to blame (on my veno character). Note, im not saying that to suck up, or try to improve my chances, just showing that I have attempted to do what I could at one point to establish a little bit of order. I have moderated various forums over the course of the past 9 years, so I have experience. And I have experience of the game and it's rules too, which I believe is the biggest thing a mod needs. I have multiple mid-high level characters, including one who was leveled mostly the old fashion way, so I can help to provide insight to the games mechanics, as well as easily spot any illegal activity.

To be honest, I really know that this is a thankless position, and that some of my actions should I be made a mod may make me undesirable to other players, such as locks and the like, but I feel that in the current state of the forums that anyone who loves this game and this community should step forward to make this a good place. I want to see this community return to the glory days. And thats the main reason I want to become a mod. Not for power, not for the line to you and your staff should a need on here arise. I love this game, and even through all of its changes, I continue to play and continue to come to these forums. And I will keep doing so for a long time. And I just want to do my part to make other people want to stay and have a good time as well.

I suppose that I should also add that I am on the game for many hours a day, and the forums are almost always up when I am, so with the exception of when I am working or sleeping, I am always available should I be needed here.
    Thank you for your consideration.
    -Rain
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chars:
    CptMaggots 101 sage R8/NV Seeker
    LovesTragedy 100 demon R8 Cleric

~Finally quit this god forsaken game~
    Enjoy the rest of the downward spiral. See you in SWtOR b:bye
  • Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Why do I want to be a mod? For one I have run (as an administrative position) quite a few forums and managed to keep the forums under wraps at all times. I also know a great deal about the game and know how to fix and tinker with things (never once actually modified game files for this client, only ever opened them to take a peak at possible new content, see averages of certain items from quests etc) to the point where I'd be seen as a hacker. Why do I think I would be a good mod? I am usually home most of the day seeing as I work from home and do a lot of computer related tasks (I do have a life for those of you who will accuse me of having no life) therefore I am usually available to perform whatever duties of moderation I will have.

Why is any of the above relevant? Seeing as how I know who most people are and lurk a lot and know how many people post and when to call it a troll or flame bait that puts me in a position to know the community and how it behaves more then the current people in the moderator positions that aren't exactly liked currently. I do however know that I am not exactly liked by the community but I do have quite a deal of logic within my posts and almost always have the well formatted and in proper grammar.

Why me in particular and not anyone else? As I stated earlier having run many other forums I know about the quirks, irks, ins, outs, and upside downs of almost every single forum software out there and how to use if effectively, which quite honestly the moderators you brought in demonstrated a very poor understanding of how vBulletin and this forum works and operates. I strongly feel that is very important in being a good mod, not knowing how the software you are using to control the community you are moderating works can never lead to anything good.

For those of you who I know are going to say I do not deserve it, think through everything and anything I have ever posted, I may say things in a tone that I used deliberately to **** off people but with good reason. I don't care about the people that don't like me as everyone has people that doesn't like them, I do however care about running things smoother and getting rid of the "noob" people running the moderation here at the PWI Forums and I would gladly accept the position if offered. Also on a side note: The current moderators I would try to work with as best as I possibly can to help them better understand the software, and help to correct their grammar (in particular Grim) to make the people running this forum look more professional and hopefully for the better.

-With high hopes,
    Deo - LC
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    *withdrew application*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Dsholder - Dreamweaver
    Dsholder - Dreamweaver Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Hello, I'd like to become a forum moderator and help out this understaffed place so that I could give logical responses to the questions that player have that need to be answered. If I don't have the answer, you say that forum moderator's have access to a direct link with PWE staff and I could do the research to find the answer in a timely manner. I'd be a reasonably good moderator because I'm a logical thinker, I don't make rational decisions or flame innocent players, I respect my fellow players because they are apart of the game and without them the game wouldn't be fun. I also realize that sometimes people may be angry when they are posting, but I can see from many different point of views and try to calm them down, and answer their questions without in anyway sending an insult. I've been playing Perfect World International actively for almost a year now. I'm usually playing this game at least 8 hours a day and I have plenty of knowledge about the game. I'm not too busy on the weekends either, since I'm volunteering my time to something I'll be dedicated to it. Plans can be rescheduled easily so I'll be able to moderate the forums actively, at least 2 times a day without any problems. Some other things that'd help me in being a good moderator is knowing the rules, knowing the terms of service. I've played games and many of them have the same terms of service. I'd also like to comment, the more moderators for the forums would be best, even if the moderators are supposed to watch different sections on forums.
    [SIGPIC]http://a.imageshack.us/img714/9433/testoz.jpg[/SIGPIC]

If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    1. Post your application here, and only here (i.e. no new threads).

Hello, here I am.

2. Explain why you want to be a mod, and why you would be a good mod.

Because I'm the god damn Longknife. b:cool
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Grippieluver - Lost City
    Grippieluver - Lost City Posts: 9,807 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Alright, I figured I may as well post an application so I can throw it out there I'm always willing to help.
    *sigh*

I am very active on the forums. Even with real life stuff (as everyone has) I still take tme in between shifts to check on the forums. I would like to be a moderator because like everyone has said, these forums have been neglected. I love this community very much (yes even the trolls, you all give 'spice' to the threads (: ) and I want to try and be a voice for them. Passing things along to Frankie, so he can pass things along to the developers.

I want to be able to keep the forums under control, and make sure everyone is heard. I try doing that even as a regular community poster.

Now, I've never really had a moderator position, so I guess that would be a downside.

Believe me, for the few minutes I get a chance to hop on the forums, I WILL get a lot done.

Thanks y'all
    Georgia mama, Grippie

(well everyone else had a cute little ending there :/)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thankiez to Dorset for the sig!

MagicHamsta will remain in our hearts forever

P.S. I am a female venomancer ^^ I know it's rare, isn't it?
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Yes I'm actually going to apply. Shocker huh? :p

I've been here since before closed beta on these fourms and tend to be on them almost constantly every single day. I'm sure people have noticed at times.

I'm applying because, believe it or not, I'm agreeing with the players that things aren't exactly working right now. Entire topics are indeed being locked when only a few posts should be removed. I do realize that removing posts is more effort than simply locking the topic but I'd be willing to put in that effort because the players are asking for it. There are also too many topics I see that need to be cleaned up/locked that aren't because I tend to browse every single fourm section.

Of course if there was a major issue I would also try to bring it to the right people ASAP to get it resolved because we've seen what happens to unresloved problems around here haven't we?

Being level 100 after over 2 years in the game getting there I like to think shows I know most of the stuff about the game since I leveled slowly and took the time to do it all.

Yeah, I know a lot of you hate me but I don't hate anyone here myself and any moderation I did would reflect that. I have been a mod on other fourms before if that counts for anything.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • I_sage_i - Harshlands
    I_sage_i - Harshlands Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    *removed*
  • buttercupcruella
    buttercupcruella Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Alright, I figured I may as well post an application so I can throw it out there I'm always willing to help.
    *sigh*

Good to hear you ain't leavin' the forums no more. You scared me when I read about your departure.

Oh, what the heck?! I'll apply, too.

1. I luv my purple writing, but I heard that it annoys some people. If I get chosen, I will make sure to pick a color voted by the community.b:victory <--- willing to listen

2. I had some experience on smaller forums, but nothing compared to the boards of PWI, where there's a lot of people from around the world with different views on the world (i.e. anni packs). More people, more problems, more fun, more questions, more answers... <--- with a bit of exp, willing to extend horizons

3. I'm a rather active person. My post count doesn't need to be looked at. The numbers ain't that important. Yes, I started as a lurker, then became an off - topic poster... Fun times there, but soon, I became bored with unrelated games. As I started to lvl higher and higher, I noticed that I need answers to some of my questions, but I can also help others with their issues in game. So, I got involved in other sections of the forums. <--- active and helpful, seeking answers

4. I started playing more than a year ago, which is in the pre - hyper frost, pre- anni packs era. I am not a lvl 100 yet, because I took a couple of breaks from PWI (due to rl), and I enjoy my in - game experience. (ex. help faction members and friends, quest, grind for coins and mats, sometimes some bhs). <--- knows about the 'back in the day' things

5. I have a firm opinion on various things. When confronted by a person who lacks knowledge, I tend to stand my ground, but I try to do it in a polite manner, explaining why do I think a, and not b. <--- ready to debate, converse, argue (politely) and teach if any1 is interested

6. Successful trolls can be very helpful, as well as they can entertain the community. Hypocrites and ... stubborn people can be the biggest problem at times. <--- dedicated

7. My main is a barb, so.... there finally could be a barb MOD.b:pleased (I remember somebody mentioning there ain't a barb MOD.) <--- an animal {that ain't right..} an untamed! {that's better}

8. I'm an ambitious and creative trouper. <--- what you see is what ya get

*counts out loud: 1,2,3,4,..5,6,..7,...8,..... ****, I CAN'T REMEMBER!*

So... it's all for NOW.

Ehh... Those who know me more, know that I am capable of writing walls of text. However, from my own experience, I know there are a lot of haters.... so:

[ FOR THOSE THAT'D SAY: tl;dr:]

Pick me, and your dreams will come true. Working for all of you would be a pleasure. <--- cuts to the core
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Fuzzy think hard about making an application, and weigh many options. While at first glance it easy to think it be an excellent opportunity to have a positive impact on the community, there is a large downside in the fact that the contribution a moderator makes may well be viewed as a detriment by those they have no choice but to take action against.

Lincoln said it best. "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time".

With that in mind, Fuzzy choose to throw his hat into the running.

Being a moderator is a position Fuzzy believe he would be able to manage for several reasons. Me post count might not be as high as some other applicants, but Fuzzy is active on the forum. Mostly the panda post in the RT sub-board and the Barbarian section, but me read the rest and firmly believe Fuzzy have a good understanding of the community as a whole. Having a feel for the "pulse" of the forum be a good trait for any potential moderator.

Fuzzy also believe that it not be a position from which to speak on behalf of PWI. That is frankie's domain as CM. A moderator is someone who's work be focused on making sure that people who post abide by the TOS. No more, no less. Each and every person who chooses to post on the forum has agreed to the rules set forth in TOS. A mod, when enforcing them, should have the ability to do so in an unbias, even handed, fair way. In the past, some posters have been allowed to get away with far more than others and this not be good. The same rules need to be applied to all, and this Fuzzy can do.

A good forum mod should also have an excellent working knowledge of the game. Being able to answer questions from members, or at the very least point them in the direction of the answer be a valuable skill. Fuzzy not claim to be a walking talking PWI database, but me do have extensive knowledge of the game. Me feels Fuzzy can be an excellent resource in this department. Also, if you do read many of the panda's posts, especially in the barbarian forum, Fuzzy do me best to achieve just that. Helping other players grow their characters and point them in the right direction of seeking the answer they look for if me not have it at hand.

Last but not least, Fuzzy think that patience and respect be two extremely important, and admirable traits a potential moderator must possess. Fuzzy have both in spades. Me has worked hard on RT to build a reputation of respect and me 100% sure any player you ask on me server will agree. Disagreements happen, but having the patience and maturity to deal with other players in a respectable way will always be preferable and more often than not stop any problem from deteriorating.

When all is said and done, Fuzzy believes he can make a positive impact on the community if given a chance to moderate. It be a task me would take most seriously however, one Fuzzy truly thinks he would enjoy. The panda is always looking for a new challenge to surmount and this would be a big one. One me would approach with all the qualities Fuzzy list above and one me believe the panda would excel at.

b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LifeHunting - Lost City
    LifeHunting - Lost City Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Well I figured I might as well toss my hat into the barrel.

Hello Frankie,

My name is LifeHunting. I have been in and around the game for over a year and a half (1 1/2) now. I have seen all the multitude of changes that have taken place over this time frame, many people who were loved in the forums taking off, others who got banned for public opinion or other reasons that seemed to be off-topic to the topic that they had posted on. Most of which I can see the reasoning behind, so I won't say much else on this.
    I would like to be considered for a moderator position so I may better help the forums and gauge response for myself. I know this position comes with no thanks, or anything like that, and I'm not looking for anything like that. I personally just want to be able to shut down threads that will cause problems when I see them and keep the forums nice and tidy, and running smoothly.

Along with this I have been relatively active within the forum boards, I can usually be found having fun in the Off-topic, being serious in the Beginner Section, giving advice in the class sections (As long as I know how to answer the question), and other things. All of which I highly doubt I would drop if I became a mod. My only limitation, I guess would be the best word, is that I wouldn't be too willing to mod every single game forum. I'd personally like to stick with the PWI forums. This isn't really anything against the other games player-bases or anything of the such, I just feel that if a new moderator is appointed they should stay in the forum that they originally applied into. For me this would be the PWI game, General Section, forum.

Now if you are asking the question of "Will this person make a good moderator for the boards?", I assure you that I will. I can easily promise to take care of the boards and make sure things stay easy going and nice and clean. I'd easily have my in-box open to all of the community so that they would be able to quickly send me a PM, or some form of message about any threads that are going flametaticular or otherwise about to become seriously detrimental to the overall health of the forum, so that I would be able to quickly act and snuff out the problem in a timely manner.

The only constraints I believe I would have is the time frame in which I would be able to act. With my current in real life (IRL) activities (Work, Swimming, friends), the time I would be able to work the boards would be during the evening/late night hours. Which in a sense, would probably be a benefit since I would be able to take out any threads that need to be moved/locked & lower depth'd/etc, without hundreds of "OMG QQ, WHAT GOING ON!!!?" type threads popping up like crazy.

So if I should be accpeted into the Moderator program I would be happy and would give great thanks to you.

Hoping for the best,

LifeHunting

P.S. this part is a little kid like, but I figured it would be best to state that if you want to give me a questionnaire or anything like that to gauge my ability I would gladly take it. I just hope you send it via a PM or form of private message.
  • Grippieluver - Lost City
    Grippieluver - Lost City Posts: 9,807 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    *removed*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thankiez to Dorset for the sig!

MagicHamsta will remain in our hearts forever

P.S. I am a female venomancer ^^ I know it's rare, isn't it?
  • I_sage_i - Harshlands
    I_sage_i - Harshlands Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    *removed*
  • Lutirica - Harshlands
    Lutirica - Harshlands Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    *removed*
    Fail troll of harshlands
  • Rawthorne - Heavens Tear
    Rawthorne - Heavens Tear Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    *removed*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Well, where do i start...?

I'm Krisnda, been on the forums for a good little while (almost 2 years now) and I think that I would be a good moderator for a number of reasons:

1. Being in the game, i have learned a lot and I think that I am very knowledgeable, that being said, I can also learn a lot from others, which is what being on these forums are all about.

2. I love this game. Its one thing to be a mod, looking at the things on the forums, locking/moving/creating threads but you could care less about the game itself. I for one, love the PWI forums and Perfect World International, the game.

3. I like getting to know people (and already know some people here as well), and moderating forums is a good way to get to know people, so you can hear their thoughts, their complaints, and deal with them accordingly.

4. I like to "Listen" more than i like to talk, and i will read an entire post before saying anything about it, not just skimming it because you might of missed something. "The Key to Learning, Is Listening", that's how i feel, and that's how any person who wants to be a mod should feel. Also with that, i can take criticism, and use it to make well thought changes.

5. I also like to "Talk". Just because you can listen, doesn't mean that you would make a good mod, I can also "REPLY" just as good as i can read/listen. b:cute

6. The most important of them all, I am a very respectful person. Without respect, you will never be able to listen to people, nor will they listen to you.

Thank you for taking your time to read this application. b:cute

~Krisnda
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
This discussion has been closed.