10 ways to know if you are a good/bad player.

Options
Galeskyring - Lost City
Galeskyring - Lost City Posts: 26 Arc User
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
This is my first topic here so hope its ok.

--good--

You know you are a good player if you...

1: help players
2: share squad loot
3: help beginners learn the game
4: encourage good sportsmanship
5: support your guild
6: support your squad
7: don't intentionally steal kills
8: don't steal loot from others as it drops
9: don't attack friends
10: don't pk people without a good reason

--bad--

You know you are a bad player if you...

1: harass others
2: steal loot as it drops
3: don't share loot
4: bully others
5: think you own all monsters near you
6: pk players because you think its fun
7: pk players for no good reason
8: pk players to steal their items
9: think you can do what ever you want
10: steal kills

This is not intended to insult or flatter anyone, its just something random to help you judge yourself no one else. Sort of like one of those self quiz's. Hope everyone enjoys this topic.
Post edited by Galeskyring - Lost City on

Comments

• MsEvilness - Heavens Tear
    MsEvilness - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    yay, looks like i satisfy all 10 "bad player" criteria
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Originally posted by LShattered - HeavensTear
    Ohhh...I am dumb b:shutup
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    yay, looks like i satisfy all 10 "bad player" criteria

99.3% of the GAME consists of that criteria....to include GMs. b:chuckle
  • Hypnos - Raging Tide
    Hypnos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,235 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I satisfied all good AND bad player criteria...what am I now? duo persona? D=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lylfo5
    lylfo5 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

--good--

--bad--

This is not intended to insult or flatter anyone, its just something random to help you judge yourself no one else. Sort of like one of those self quiz's. Hope everyone enjoys this topic.

2. how do you share squad loots?
    7. how is stealing kills bad?
    8. how do you steal loots from other people?

Actually I think you are a bad player if
    1. You take your time to go to a BH
    2. You bug some high level to solo instances/ farm TT mats for you
    3. You create drama in faction
    4. Spam world chat
  • Lorminstra - Heavens Tear
    Lorminstra - Heavens Tear Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

--bad--

1: you mean if they harass you then your not allowed to response?
    2: I would like you to explain how in the world i can steal loot that is already on ground and no player took before me?
    3:erm what? in groups i always see people loot and how can you share that?
    4:just what i said in number 1.
    5:Ahhhhh, thats ok, i been at a spot for hours killing and then someone comes and kills them while im trying to kill it?(also for number 10)
    6:erm.. if you got PK enabled, then you say it your self, that its alright to attack you.
    7:read number 6.
    8:again read number 6.
    9:erm what? so im not allowed to take all the quest i want any more in this game and go collect a reward for it?
    10: read number 5 reply.

Does that mean im a bad player? uhm i dont think so Galeskyring.
  • Galeskyring - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    Options
    lylfo5 wrote: »
    2. how do you share squad loots?
    7. how is stealing kills bad?
    8. how do you steal loots from other people?

1: You set loot to free not random and don't pick it up during fights then allow squad members to pick what they want.
    2: Its very bad in a number of ways, one you are quested to kill something for this or that which is given at random, someone stealing the kill means you don't get it thus costing you who knows how much time.
    3: Its possible to lose items when pked just like how high level monsters can cause you to drop items. I once inworld watched someone get pked and he lost items which the pker took and ran off with.

edit----

Lorminstra: read this.

1: No I mean you go out and start the harassment.
    2: By steal loot as it drops i mean you sit there watch someone kill a monster then swoop in and grab the loot before they can. Its their loot they killed the monster.
    3: Read above answer for my other reply.
    5: By which I mean you think you are there so no one else has the right to kill them, I have seen people be greedy with monsters and steal the kills thinking they own the monster when they didn't get to it first.
    6: I mean if you got the pk mode off so you don't attack people but someone comes along and kills you pointlessly.
    9: I mean the think your all that types who think they own everything can do as they please, pk steal and claim they rule it all. Or more simplified the kind of people who think they are a 'king' and everyone else is 'trash' sorts. Be it killing people for sport, stealing loot or hording monsters by killing anyone who trys to kill a monster or goes out and starts harassing people simply because he or she is bored. Another example would be the college creep who comes over gets in your car and says 'this is my car get lost'

So please Lorminstra go back and carefully read my first post because you seem very confused about the meaning behind many of them.
  • _Nuriko_ - Lost City
    _Nuriko_ - Lost City Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    hmm... if i ever see this barb running outside of sz, i know who im killingb:thanksb:bye
    Ahira is a spyb:cryb:cryb:cry
  • DemansPsy - Lost City
    DemansPsy - Lost City Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

--good--

--bad--

2. how the hell u steal loots as it drops? 0_o
    3. u only "share loot" if ur doin a HH or nirvana or lunar
    6. pking players is fun, y u think we on a pvp sever? -_-
    7. eh...well i pkk so im baised on this
    8. THATS KINDA THE POINT
    full 3r9 +11/12 (still using immac shards though) w/o CSing, leveled to 105 spaming pv, yes i have no life =D
    edited October 2010
    Options
    2. how the hell u steal loots as it drops? 0_o
    3. u only "share loot" if ur doin a HH or nirvana or lunar
    6. pking players is fun, y u think we on a pvp sever? -_-
    7. eh...well i pkk so im baised on this
    8. THATS KINDA THE POINT

Two things, 1 do not flame its not allowed, you do not like the topic then don't post! 2 Read my second post on this topic it answers some of the already repeated questions.
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Lorminstra: read this.

1: No I mean you go out and start the harassment.
    2: By steal loot as it drops i mean you sit there watch someone kill a monster then swoop in and grab the loot before they can. Its their loot they killed the monster.
    3: Read above answer for my other reply.
    5: By which I mean you think you are there so no one else has the right to kill them, I have seen people be greedy with monsters and steal the kills thinking they own the monster when they didn't get to it first.
    6: I mean if you got the pk mode off so you don't attack people but someone comes along and kills you pointlessly.
    9: I mean the think your all that types who think they own everything can do as they please, pk steal and claim they rule it all. Or more simplified the kind of people who think they are a 'king' and everyone else is 'trash' sorts. Be it killing people for sport, stealing loot or hording monsters by killing anyone who trys to kill a monster or goes out and starts harassing people simply because he or she is bored. Another example would be the college creep who comes over gets in your car and says 'this is my car get lost'

So please Lorminstra go back and carefully read my first post because you seem very confused about the meaning behind many of them.

After reading your reply, i think you found some of the real "bad" players on a PvP server.
    But it all comes with playing on a PvP server, i played many games and you will Always find this on a PvP enabled server.

Its a simple non written rule that only the "strong" survive on PvP servers.
    Try look at the game EvE(Eve Online) its a Perfect example what "rules" in a "world".

You should try play on HT or Dream server(PvE servers) here in PWI.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Does picking up abandoned loot fall under stealing? :p I do that all the time... If someone says something about it, I'll usually trade it to them. I find it silly to let it vanish though...

I do fall under the 'good player' catagory, other than that one, for the most part, especially since I completely fail at PK. >_<
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Lenore - Harshlands
    Lenore - Harshlands Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I actually think I fit all 20 "criteria." It just depends on who is involved and what my mood is. What does that mean for me?
  • Hypnos - Raging Tide
    Hypnos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,235 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    That's mean you and me are alike b:sin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lenore - Harshlands
    Lenore - Harshlands Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    That's mean you and me are alike b:sin

b:chuckleb:laughb:victory

But yea, @ OP, your options aren't mutually exclusive. Which...isn't a bad thing, really. I actually thought you meant good or bad as in pro or noob, when I saw the thread title.
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Does picking up abandoned loot fall under stealing? :p I do that all the time... If someone says something about it, I'll usually trade it to them. I find it silly to let it vanish though...

I do fall under the 'good player' catagory, other than that one, for the most part, especially since I completely fail at PK. >_<

Those two words mean two different things so no picking up abandoned loot isn't stealing because no one owns it x3 I don't know why but loads of people love walking off leaving coins all over the ground. Sometimes that's the easiest way to tell someone has been there, the coins they chose to leave lol.
  • Samaela - Dreamweaver
    Samaela - Dreamweaver Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I disagree with the list >:

Mainly the bad.
    pk players because you think its fun
    Wait, what? Isn't "fun" what a lot of people PK for? I'm a carebear, so what do I know, but still. Why bother doing PvP at all if you don't think it's fun to PK people?

DISAGREEMENT. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want and that's good. Free will is amazing and does not make you a bad player. Of course, you can do whatever you want as in steal peoples loot, but then again, you can do whatever you want as in helping people out. I believe doing whatever you want is generally a good ability, it makes you be who you want to be. If that makes you a total **** or a good person is entierly up to the person themselves. It shouldn't be listed as bad unless you also list it as good. I read what you wrote about the explanation in a later post, but then you should rather write, "being a general a.sshole, who believes you're better than everyone else and steals others stuff"

I do whatever I want whenever I want and fyeah I'm proud of that b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Samaela[demon cleric]||Nanimee[mystic]||aquaelle[psychic]
  • Aisubeki - Sanctuary
    Aisubeki - Sanctuary Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    o look a redundant thread!! you repeated an awful lot of things, none of these even remotely resemble a skilled or unskilled player.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    remember our fallen heroes
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Its a simple non written rule that only the "strong" survive on PvP servers.

I'm pretty sure only the people who aren't offended by every little thing and have the ability to take things in perspective, with a grain of salt, survive on a PvP server. I joined the forums a few months after I started playing (join date), this is my level (because I'm an exceptionally casual player), look at my kills, and I LOVE it on LC. I would never go to another server.

If you don't like the OP's generalizations (and it seems as though you don't), don't make them yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I disagree with the list >:

Mainly the bad.
    pk players because you think its fun
    Wait, what? Isn't "fun" what a lot of people PK for? I'm a carebear, so what do I know, but still. Why bother doing PvP at all if you don't think it's fun to PK people?

DISAGREEMENT. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want and that's good. Free will is amazing and does not make you a bad player. Of course, you can do whatever you want as in steal peoples loot, but then again, you can do whatever you want as in helping people out. I believe doing whatever you want is generally a good ability, it makes you be who you want to be. If that makes you a total **** or a good person is entierly up to the person themselves. It shouldn't be listed as bad unless you also list it as good. I read what you wrote about the explanation in a later post, but then you should rather write, "being a general a.sshole, who believes you're better than everyone else and steals others stuff"

I do whatever I want whenever I want and fyeah I'm proud of that b:victory

Go back and read my second post on page 1, it explans the use of that line better!
    o look a redundant thread!! you repeated an awful lot of things, none of these even remotely resemble a skilled or unskilled player.

If you don't like the topic then don't post its that simply!
  • LovesTragedy - Lost City
    LovesTragedy - Lost City Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    --bad--

6. check
    7. check
    8. check
    9. check

b:bye I'll see you on my kill count b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chars:
    CptMaggots 101 sage R8/NV Seeker
    LovesTragedy 100 demon R8 Cleric

~Finally quit this god forsaken game~
    Enjoy the rest of the downward spiral. See you in SWtOR b:bye
  • Aisubeki - Sanctuary
    Aisubeki - Sanctuary Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    no, its not that 'simple,' if someone makes a flawed empyrical argument, they need to be told so. some people act like everything in life is so simple, 'its just a game, its just a forum, its just the internet' yadda yadda. that is no justified excuse to anything, it's just a cop out to 'so you disagreed with my argument, i lack a well put together counter argument, so i say you are overreacting! that'll show you!'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    remember our fallen heroes
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

In the OP's defense, I think when s/he said "good and bad" she meant it with the connotations of "noble and evil" respectively. At least, that's what I drew from the list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I'm pretty sure only the people who aren't offended by every little thing and have the ability to take things in perspective, with a grain of salt, survive on a PvP server. I joined the forums a few months after I started playing (join date), this is my level (because I'm an exceptionally casual player), look at my kills, and I LOVE it on LC. I would never go to another server.

If you don't like the OP's generalizations (and it seems as though you don't), don't make them yourself.

Im not new to PWI(as in i been here since beta) nor new to playing any kind of MMO and every game i played over the Many years showed what i said on PvP servers.
  • Necronism - Heavens Tear
    Necronism - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Bad player?

4 main points:
    -Don't know how to play their own classes
    -Don't know how to earn their own money
    -Don't know their roles in squads
    -QQ is the number one and only skill they have in their skill list

The opposite of the above 4 points for a good player.

Now back to topic... nice and mean players, you mean? b:laugh
    I am nice when i am having a bad mood and mean when i am in good mood. b:angry
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    OP made a perfectly respectful and fair topic stating a personal opinion tbh. What the thread has successfully done however is literally revealed all the @sshats and morons who are pathetic enough to actually be proud of what they do.

Guess what guys, no one cares, except the other morons who think it's funny but would also PK, steal and rob you too given the slightest chance.

And adding the guy "to your kill list" is like bullying someone irl because you feel jealous or they make you insecure and you want to feel superior. Doesn't work. No one will respect you for it one bit.
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Alright guys, please keep this topic clean. If the current state of flaming everyone because their opinion is different than yours, I'll close it down.

Regards
  • Samaela - Dreamweaver
    Samaela - Dreamweaver Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Go back and read my second post on page 1, it explans the use of that line better!

Sheesh, go back and actually read my post. I already stated that I had read that part. And how I'd like you to say it differently when you meant that.
    I read what you wrote about the explanation in a later post, but then you should rather write, "being a general a.sshole, who believes you're better than everyone else and steals others stuff"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Samaela[demon cleric]||Nanimee[mystic]||aquaelle[psychic]
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Just my opinion.

1: help players This makes you a good person, and not a good player in the sense of being skilled or having knowledge of the game. It could be argued that helping can sometimes do more than harm than good, as in the case of high levels repeatedly helping on the regular questing and BH runs of first time players.
    2: share squad loot This is optional, as in the case of tabbers getting drops in FB runs. Whatever method of loot distribution all squad members agree on is certainly acceptable.
    3: help beginners learn the game Again, this makes you a good person and not a good player.4: encourage good sportsmanship Same as above.
    5: support your guild It really does depend on your guild and its policies towards gameplay.
    6: support your squad Yes, i agree. A good player should competently fulfill his/her basic job in a squad, protect the Cleric and in general terms ensure a smooth run.
    7: don't intentionally steal kills Again, this makes you a good sport, not a good player.
    8: don't steal loot from others as it drops Same as above.
    9: don't attack friends Has absolutely nothing to do with being a good player, anyone who's PvP enabled is fair target.
    10: don't pk people without a good reason No good reason is ever needed, if you can be pked then it is fair.
    --bad--

1: harass others This makes you scum, not necessarily a bad player.
    2: steal loot as it drops If you can get it then it is fair game, has nothing to do with being a good player.
    3: don't share loot Again, it depends on what the squad has previously agreed to.
    4: bully others This makes you scum, not a bad player.
    5: think you own all monsters near you If you can get them, you do. Ksing only makes you a bad sport.
    6: pk players because you think its fun Has absolutely nothing to do with being a good player or even being a good person.
    7: pk players for no good reason Same as above.
    8: pk players to steal their items Same as above.
    9: think you can do what ever you want Yes, i agree. Good gameplay does require you consider the capabilities of others and acknowledge your own limits.
    10: steal kills This makes you a bad sport, not a bad player.

Being a good player depends on knowledge, skill and experience. It has nothing to do with arbitrary mores. Practical necessity enforces a standard of behaviour on PvP servers, however if you can get away with pking in situations others would not, all the more power to you. Same goes for loot distribution, we may all have our thoughts on how this should be handled, however whatever people consent to is certainly fair. Ksing is certainly bad sport, but not in itself bannable behaviour unlike some of the items you have listed, such as bullying or harrassment.

OP, your are only making a list of what you personally consider to be good sporting behaviour. And given your views on PKing, one which contains ideals unlikely to be shared by many of us.

Things that make you a good player.

1. Good knowledge of game mechanics, instance layouts, squad tactics, etc.
    2. Being able to competently fulfill your squad role.
    3. Good reflexes, thinking fast.
    4. Efficient resource management.
    5. Properly gearing/skilling.

Things that make you a bad player.

1. Disregarding resonable instructions from other squad members.
    2. Charging a la Leeroy Jenkins.
    3. Lacking a development of good soloing tactics for your class.
    4. Inability to plan for key aspects in your character progression.
    5. Failure to change or adjust to a type of server/PK mode appropiate for you.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    *removed*
  • LifeHunting - Lost City
    LifeHunting - Lost City Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

--good--

--bad--

You need to switch some of these.
    6-8 on the Bad list belong on the good list. 5 also belongs on there, because trust me I can run into a bunch of mobs and drop them all :D (On my BM, not this guy.)
    7-9 on the Good list belong on the bad list. Because mob stealing is a normal thing in MMO's. Also the only way you can steal loot is if you did more dmg or it is PK loot that drops. Plus, what is the point of being in PK if you can't enjoy it with your friends by having a friendly duel to the death?
This discussion has been closed.