LA or Arcane?

Tainaker - Harshlands
Tainaker - Harshlands Posts: 302 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Wizard
so yeah im going to reroll here to have fun i dont have to much time to play now days so my goal is to lvl arround 7X - 8X and have some pk fun, wondering if is a good idea to go LA, what do u guys think?

thnx in advance
Post edited by Tainaker - Harshlands on

Comments

• Alimion - Sanctuary
    Alimion - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I am like the greatest advocate of LA before 95, and I am getting tired of this subject lmao.

La till 90 if done properly, Its not just something you "throw" together.
  • IrishPain - Heavens Tear
    IrishPain - Heavens Tear Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I went LA in my 80s to try it out.
    You have a little more HP, and survive against mele a little better. And you crit A LOT. (mine was 14% at 89).
    I went back to arcane at 91 and don't regret it. You hit harder, cast faster, and crits still happen quite often. Your hp is still decent, and your physical shield helps a lot. I can get over 50% to physical while buffed without issue. You gain 10 - 15% more with LA, but in the end, I can have 2x the amount of magic, and that makes me way more powerful.
    I'm 3 base vit, minimum str and 3 base dex. I have everything else into magic.
    Go arcane. LA was interesting, and not bad, but I still think arcane is better in the end.
  • PrettySammy - Sanctuary
    PrettySammy - Sanctuary Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I was LA from level 6x - 97, tbh its a really really stupidily cheap way to play wizard till u hit 90. Good quality LA molds are easy to get an cheap as hell + mixed with say sea captain sleevsa good balance. Your HP will be ok and pdef good so gamma should be freaking easy, maybe even fcc etc.

After you hit 90 restat full magic. Cos otherwise you damage will suck like hell and B the difference and pdef and hp is very small after 90, I had to wait till 97 cos of costs and cos I was stubborn.

Arcane can be done by all means from the start but your gotta learn to adapt to it / refine / shard. For me I couldnt be bother cos im lazy.

Also I see your on harshlands, LA may suit u better for combat till u hit 90+

Have fun
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't need no pdef, cos I got ... BOOM HEADSHOT !
  • //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary12
    //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary12 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    id go 50 vit arcane over LA, ive tried the two and 50 vit seemed better for me, at the end of the day tho, pre 90 its personal preference really, long as after 90 ur pure arcane. as a side note, 50 vit arcane is a cheaper reset at 90, and u probly cud leave it in if u want, altho u actually do notice the damage difference if u take it out. honestly in pvp ur gonna get owned til endgame for the most part ne way unless the ppl are your lvl.
    yes the wizard named hysteria on dreamweaver is also me
    sometimes i troll, deal.
    my post count always resets to 1 b:victory
    lolumad?
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    id go 50 vit arcane over LA, ive tried the two and 50 vit seemed better for me, at the end of the day tho, pre 90 its personal preference really, long as after 90 ur pure arcane. as a side note, 50 vit arcane is a cheaper reset at 90, and u probly cud leave it in if u want, altho u actually do notice the damage difference if u take it out. honestly in pvp ur gonna get owned til endgame for the most part ne way unless the ppl are your lvl.

damage difference with 50 vit = nope dont see it yetb:bye
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary14
    //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary14 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    damage difference with 50 vit = nope dont see it yetb:bye

it sure seemed like a huge difference to me then again i was goin off estimated time per kill and not actually lookin at the numbers, it probly isnt much of a diff at the end of the day, certianly not as noticeable as la would be, i only took it out cuz i was at 4k hp unbuffed, i def wudnt recommned takin out until u hit 4k tho. but thats kind of personal preference as well i suppose.
  • Tainaker - Harshlands
    edited August 2010
    i know im going to get owned pre 80, but still im tired of melees so no sin/bm/barb (ew barbs) for me, archers r going to **** me no mater what build i choose, still LA molds r cheap says my archer in RT ;D...yeah its a good build for gammas, bad thing is that ppl don't gamma now days b:cry for what i heard the dmg input is almost the same till 90...now i just have some troubles choosing my skills priorities...give me a hand here

again thnx in advance ^^
  • Bloop - Harshlands
    Bloop - Harshlands Posts: 490 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Well skills are quite complicated for a mage, especially in PVE. Basically you.. gush, pyrogram, gush, pyrogram, gush, pyrogram, and if stuff is getting to close to you, you'll occasionally throw in a WoTF. At 79 it might get even more confusing cause now you gotta undine stuff, I mean like wtf pressing 2 skills was hard enough.
    60 / 250.
  • Abysm - Heavens Tear
    Abysm - Heavens Tear Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Well skills are quite complicated for a mage, especially in PVE. Basically you.. gush, pyrogram, gush, pyrogram, gush, pyrogram, and if stuff is getting to close to you, you'll occasionally throw in a WoTF. At 79 it might get even more confusing cause now you gotta undine stuff, I mean like wtf pressing 2 skills was hard enough.
    my head exploded
  • //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary15
    //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary15 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2010

this, gush/pyro combo gets you basically through 90 percent of pve gameplay, WOTF if a mob gets close, i always like to open with stone rain or sandstorm on water mobs but if u want to save coin spirit til later u can jus max stone rain at 1st and sandstorm later, pvp wise, msot of your skills u dont to worry about for quite a while
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    it sure seemed like a huge difference to me then again i was goin off estimated time per kill and not actually lookin at the numbers, it probly isnt much of a diff at the end of the day, certianly not as noticeable as la would be, i only took it out cuz i was at 4k hp unbuffed, i def wudnt recommned takin out until u hit 4k tho. but thats kind of personal preference as well i suppose.
    im 50 vit so i can have 7k HP buffed once again TW reasons going against 8jun/warsoul bow. i still hit people for 26k uncrit with BIDSb:bye
    this, gush/pyro combo gets you basically through 90 percent of pve gameplay, WOTF if a mob gets close, i always like to open with stone rain or sandstorm on water mobs but if u want to save coin spirit til later u can jus max stone rain at 1st and sandstorm later, pvp wise, msot of your skills u dont to worry about for quite a while

sarcasm ftwb:bye
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
  • //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary16
    //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary16 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    im 50 vit so i can have 7k HP buffed once again TW reasons going against 8jun/warsoul bow. i still hit people for 26k uncrit with BIDSb:bye

sarcasm ftwb:bye

yeah leaving it in makes sense for tw, i dont tw alot even before patch so wasnt a huge issue for me.

and lmao, jus paid attn to ur sig, nice xD
    my post count always resets to 1. b:victory
    also have a wiz named Hysteria on dreamweaver
    lolumad?????
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    i still hit people for 26k uncrit with BIDSb:bye
    26k uncrit? I don't believe you unless you got an epic weapon, or the target was amped and debuffed to ****, which makes the point quite moot :P
  • Abysm - Heavens Tear
    Abysm - Heavens Tear Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    26k uncrit

BIDS

does not compute
  • Tainaker - Harshlands
    edited August 2010
    26k uncrit? I don't believe you unless you got an epic weapon, or the target was amped and debuffed to ****, which makes the point quite moot :P

yo gratz on the 100

what about divine pyro and pitfall? worth lvling?
  • //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary17
    //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary17 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    divine pyrogram can wait til u get essential sutra, then u might wanna lvl it quite a bit for your sutra combo, pitfall i never use so i left it at 1 then maxed at 9x simply cuz i could, altho on this wiz i prolly wont even bother, some wizzies find use for it, but its pretty meh i think.
    my post count always resets to 1 b:victory
    im also the wiz named hysteria on dreamweaver
    lolumad??
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010

+4 hh99 gold sword it was HF sorry my bad. But ya, i still hit pretty hard(13k uncrit)

it was on some werebeast on the rival guild

correction it was 35k HF

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/2365/lmao35k.png

gluttony and lissan are clerics so ya...
  • Aquagirl - Raging Tide
    Aquagirl - Raging Tide Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    how much you frenzy hit on HF-ed ppl is pretty much irrelevant.
    Everyone can come up with big numbers. Watch a +5 Lunar Bow in BoA on HF-ed ppl and you'll be even more amazed.

And if you think you hit pretty hard, think about what +10-12 Lunar Wands are doing used by full mag builds.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    how much you frenzy hit on HF-ed ppl is pretty much irrelevant.
    Everyone can come up with big numbers. Watch a +5 Lunar Bow in BoA on HF-ed ppl and you'll be even more amazed.

And if you think you hit pretty hard, think about what +10-12 Lunar Wands are doing used by full mag builds.

35k i think there is no point in going higherb:bye

one shot is a one shot

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2601/prettynumbers.jpg

this is non HFed

pure mag: http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=7f09a49d3c5d3ded
    50 vit: http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=f41f8a6cf5eff68f

its 1215 less damage in the C screen

after the 1/3rd pvp reduction
    405 damage difference(using the max mag atk)

i used a +10 CV before(friend let me borrow it to see if i wanted to buy it) I gave it back to him because i was doing on average 1k more damage, 2k with crit etc and i think 150mil wasnt worth it for 1k more damage :\

not to mention i lost crit and HP :(
  • Tainaker - Harshlands
    edited August 2010
    35k i think there is no point in going higherb:bye

one shot is a one shot

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2601/prettynumbers.jpg

this is non HFed

pure mag: http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=7f09a49d3c5d3ded
    50 vit: http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=f41f8a6cf5eff68f

its 1215 less damage in the C screen

after the 1/3rd pvp reduction
    405 damage difference(using the max mag atk)

i used a +10 CV before(friend let me borrow it to see if i wanted to buy it) I gave it back to him because i was doing on average 1k more damage, 2k with crit etc and i think 150mil wasnt worth it for 1k more damage :\

not to mention i lost crit and HP :(

but it isnt the hp that u get from the vit irrelevant at end game with averages refines (like +4 all ur gear) and some shards?
  • //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary21
    //Hysteria\ - Sanctuary21 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    but it isnt the hp that u get from the vit irrelevant at end game with averages refines (like +4 all ur gear) and some shards?

vit is never irrelevant on a wizard, yes u want alot of damage obv, u stil lwant def and hp too, you can never have too much. ever.

i wudnt reccomend more than 50 vit btw im sayin hp wise u can never have enuf though.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010

+12 warsoul bow 2 drakeflames

you can never have enough HP....b:sad
  • Yreccils - Harshlands
    Yreccils - Harshlands Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    +12 warsoul bow 2 drakeflames

you can never have enough HP....b:sad

True, but aren't you kinda dead against a +12 warsoul bow anyway? Does it help you to change the outcome of a battle or is the added vit just to possibly last a second longer?
  • Soujiro_Z - Raging Tide
    Soujiro_Z - Raging Tide Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    True, but aren't you kinda dead against a +12 warsoul bow anyway? Does it help you to change the outcome of a battle or is the added vit just to possibly last a second longer?

ok nab wizzie question....why bother in adding vit? u can refine ur gear and use some inma to get the hp bonus and still go full mag to hit harder, am i rite?
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010

last a second longer gives me a chance to react before i die allowing me to domain and run lol.

Also his BoA crits for like 6k+ so having the 7k buffed gives you a chance to live(instead of being one shotted you get to live a bit longer.

Also, the damage difference between pure mag and vit is like, 300 in pvp i did the math in a previous post.

Also, at endgame when you are trying to get more HP and cant afford +7 refines adding vit is another great way for more HP. Its really hard to squeeze HP out of your gear once you reach a certain point.
  • Tainaker - Harshlands
    edited August 2010
    last a second longer gives me a chance to react before i die allowing me to domain and run lol.

Also his BoA crits for like 6k+ so having the 7k buffed gives you a chance to live(instead of being one shotted you get to live a bit longer.

Also, the damage difference between pure mag and vit is like, 300 in pvp i did the math in a previous post.

Also, at endgame when you are trying to get more HP and cant afford +7 refines adding vit is another great way for more HP. Its really hard to squeeze HP out of your gear once you reach a certain point.

how much is the dif btw a full mag hp and ur hp (with barbie's buff)
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    how much is the dif btw a full mag hp and ur hp (with barbie's buff)

Uhh 1k diff i believe. I posted a calc somewhere

EDIT: 600 with level 10 buff
    700 with level 11 buff

with level 11 buff pure has 6.2k HP and vit has 6986(14 Hp from 7k buffed)
  • RuneSoldier - Sanctuary
    RuneSoldier - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I've heard arguments both ways. In most one on one matches that I've seen between wizards, the consistently higher damage thresholds of the AA combined with the armor imbalance wins (since both are using magical attacks for the most part, a good mage interrupts the one physical skill an apposing mage can use and the light armor just doesn't give the same defense against raw magical damage). But, LA obviously has the higher survivability especially at the lower levels. While I'm not there yet, one of the skills at 90+ makes the damage threshold for an AA ridiculous.

In any case, look more at your play style. I've enjoyed being AA from the very beginning due to my preference for party tactics. In a party, its nice to be completely specialized at what mages do, deal raw obscene damage. It's almost a game between me and most of the barbs I play with to see if I can peal a mob off them.

In any case, play your preference.
  • Tainaker - Harshlands
    edited September 2010
    doing fine as LA, is cool for both low lvl pk and pve like i tank'd/solo all my bosses so far but the fbs ;D...going to restat at 80 probably.
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Personally, I'm a proponent of LA. From 1-60 pure, from 60-100 LA, restatted at 100 to pure with a stop along the way for 50 extra vit.

LA is incredibly effective together with stone barrier providing ~75-80% phys def. Shard with citrines. For pure survival I think it wins hands down. Some of the top end damage loss is made up for by 4% extra crit. In TW escaping BM's, nixes, archers, is definantly a consideration and the build allows for it.

Extra vit I found to be of little help. Archers and BM's don't mind taking the one extra hit to seal the deal and the nix bleed is gonna chew it away. My working theory ended up being, 1 shot- 2 shot from +10 bow is not really relevant.

As a pure, with mixed phys\hp shards and buffs at 100, I'm at 6.2k hp and 12k phys def, 12k mag (18k earth) at that, I'm looking at 3-4 hits (non-crit) before falling over. My whole goal is to get off one effective AOE and send 6+ people back to base. With 2x event rings and full 99 gear refined all +5 or higher, warsoul helmet, elite leather, etc. Other builds become somewhat irrelevant. 12-13k mag att and 33% channeling. If I want more HP I refine more or man up and put in another socket (2k stones QQ).

My $0.02 sums up to, LA till 90+ possibly to 100+ to get in all your RBO's.
This discussion has been closed.