I sure do like the new patch

Options
WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
I think I might be alone, but I like the new patch. Seriously.

Things like being able to move the channeling bar, or being able to see all the items in the AH without having to scroll, or the new item-link chat function, or that I can actually see how many items I have in my stacks thanks to the (don't throw things at me for saying it) nice new font. Heck, there's probably a few more bug fixes/improvements I just haven't noticed yet, and I haven't even touched on the new Wedding feature or the new quests/events.

OK, so I know that the ruling TW crowd got kicked in the teeth with their tournament pay being cut, sort of like how the working class grinders got the beat-down on their DQ prices awhile back. I'd say I feel your pain, but I'd be lying, since I'm not in a high level faction and I'll probably be earning more as a merchant thanks to the cool new bidding house causing Gold price fluctuations.

About the only thing I don't like are those big "WORLD" (or whatever) boxes in the chat, but other than that this whole patch is nothing but win.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being completely honest.

So who's with me?

*waits for the sound of crickets*
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
Post edited by WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well you're not alone.

I'm not sure if it's the resolution I use or whatever, but the new chat font doesn't annoy me at all. I can totally understand that other people get pissed off by it though.

Item linking is awesome. Period.

I've never been in a TW before, completely clueless as to how it works and can't really relate there. Ofcourse, again, I can imagine people that DO like TW are uberly pissed.

So I guess we're just in a lucky position for this patch. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ambition - Raging Tide
    Ambition - Raging Tide Posts: 1,152 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Stop trolling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Stop trolling.

Right back at ya.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I really like the TW update myself. It's something I've wanted ever since I found out the land gave coins a few years ago on another version. I've been doing TW ever since I was able and have been in land owning factions.

Being able to tell the items I have more easily is a good thing, and I don't mind the font size in the chat since I simply shrank it manually. The rest of it does annoy me though, the font is so huge the text no longer fits in the boxes.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    some of the things you mentioned i didnt no was put in i like most of this new stuff the only stuff i dont like is the stuff i dont understand yet lol but ill prob like it all. Im rlly hoping this dam bidding thing doesnt make the gold prices go any higher *sighs* but i guess ill see once i log in after this
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • Siennia - Dreamweaver
    Siennia - Dreamweaver Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Since I don't TW myself, I can't say much about those changes but I can honestly say that some of the UI changes are nice.
    The font is a bit clearer on the quests and such, but on some of the UI menus it does need to be cleaned up a bit. The genie menus is a little messy looking and the font could be smaller there, but other then that I have no problem with it.
    As for the tags in the chat, that I could do without because they do just clutter things up more then necessary.

However, I think with some tweaking and clean-up, this patch could work out. Then again it's only been a day since the patch was released, and it will take longer then that to see how things go. All we can do right now is ride the storm and see what happens when things calm down a bit.
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I kind of agree with you. The only thing I don't like that actually affects me is how chat has been changed, and how the text in menus looks. The TW thing sucks but I don't TW so I don't care.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I approve of the TW update and the additions but the font update is amateurish and totally lacking in quality I expect.

Genie window a mess
    6NL5Z.png

Encyclopedia unusable
    Ip8Hq.png

I cant even read the title of messages in my mailbox.
    zuC4Z.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I cant even read the title of messages in my mailbox.
    zuC4Z.png

On another note there, It's kinda annoying they don't say if it's a returned auction or a sold auction anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lythianaa - Dreamweaver
    Lythianaa - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,307 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The addition to the item posting on chat is pretty neat I think. You can click for stats and stuff. I believe the biggest problem, as everyone already stated, is the font. It is horrible, and pwi did not do a very good job refining it to even make it readable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you so much ForsakenX for the sig b:cute
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I don't TW, but I can understand why people are angry. Hell, I'm angry. I'm angry that, rather then just say "So we have this patch coming, can't really do **** about it, we're sorry" they decided to say "WILL FIX JOOR GOLD PRICES FER REALZ".

I'm angry that TW has been used as a scapegoat for packs and, in particular, Tokens of Best Luck, and I'm angry that the company isn't brave enough to admit why gold has risen and can't be bothered to admit that they aren't going to stop pack sales either. It makes me wonder what they will use as the scapegoat in future, because I don't foresee gold prices dropping the way the GMs are trying to pretend that they will.

The new font system is ugly and I don't like it one bit. I play at high resolution, so the chat box itself doesn't **** me off, but everything else with regards to the UI is awful and clearly wasn't tested. If it was, it was tested by a blind person, because the text bleeds in so many places so obviously it's not even possible to miss.

I love - love love love - the new item linking system. It would be nice if you could have more then one item per 'chat' as it were, partly because it would be good if you're selling more then one piece of equipment, but. It's a good start and a nice addition to the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    On another note there, It's kinda annoying they don't say if it's a returned auction or a sold auction anymore.

They do, the text is just so big it gets cut off.

Auction=Auction duration reached
    Auction Item=Auction Item sold.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    edited August 2010
    Options
    They do, the text is just so big it gets cut off.

Auction=Auction duration reached
    Auction Item=Auction Item sold.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ah yes, that's probably true.

It's still annoying though =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    Kephras - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    In general, my beef is with "unnecessary" changes. There was no compelling reason to alter the UI font, nor are the [name] blocks for different channels required when they're color-coded to begin with. And as the previous pictures show, PWE managed to do a pretty ****-poor job of implementing said changes (hell, some of the graphic UI elements don't fit their windows anymore, how fail is that?)...

As for the TW changes... "wrong step in the right direction" is pretty much all I can say, but not being a PvP'er in any form, I'm not bothered by it to speak out on the matter. I imagine if I were doing TW at all I would be pretty pissed off, however.

"Nothing but win"? Hardly. But it's not the first time PWI updates have screwed with the UI and broke it, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Anyone remember the "psychotic" smileys that showed up with the genie update? And to be honest I still miss the old gold-trim graphics, having been replaced long ago by the darker swirls and gemstones of the Rising Tide expansion... but I digress - I believe once PWI patches the text and (hopefully) removes those ridiculous chat blocks, the net gain will have been acceptable.
  • fulgida
    fulgida Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I like those icons to the left of our names in chat. I am so sick of wasting time trying to determine when someone was spoofing someone else's name.

However, I think they missed a possibility there:

The icon should be just a single letter with a color coded background. They should use exactly the same icon in the bottom of our chat window, to show where our currently typed text will go.

I feel that consistency would help, quite a lot, here.

(I also wish that when we clicked on a chat channel icon, just above the bottom of our chat window, that it would work -- clearing the chat input box and putting the right prefix in there -- even if we are going back to our current channel after whispering someone. Currently, it does nothing, which serves no purpose.)
  • ACLucius - Archosaur
    ACLucius - Archosaur Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The only thing I actually dislike completely is the TW pay change. I'm not in a TW faction, but I have been and I realize the costs that go along with it. This change in TW pay will not do anything except make the game more difficult for those factions who decide to TW. Gold prices won't go down because of the Token of Best Luck being able to be traded for the ten million bank note. Sure, this takes out 484 million from coming into the game every week, but that still won't make a big difference. With as many people as I've seen getting Best Lucks, it's more than made up for by this.

Other than the TW pay though, I do have problems with the new UI, but it's something I can get used to and they can always make it look cleaner later. I can still tell who is talking and in what chat, I can still see the differences in the chats. The thing I dislike most is that without bold, the text is harder to see, and with bold it is just too distracting.

Anyways, the update was good except the TW pay. However, we will just have to see what will happen. No sense in complaining about it, just gotta ride it out. I am already planning on switching to another game when it comes out in the spring hopefully, and it will be P2P, so I can expect good things from it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Didn't get the rest of it, but apparently I am the "destroyer of sin haters" as well.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well, I admit the font often doesn't look "right", because it doesn't fit a lot of the boxes, but it never fit quite right to begin with and at least now I can always make out numbers. On some items the old font disappeared completely. There's definitely room for improvement, but it's a welcome step in the right direction, imho.

I understand a lot of people's complaints, and no, I wasn't trying to troll. I just was starting to feel like some kind of outcast freak because I actually like the patch, and I was wondering if I was the only one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    Kephras - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well, I admit the font often doesn't look "right", because it doesn't fit a lot of the boxes, but it never fit quite right to begin with and at least now I can always make out numbers. On some items the old font disappeared completely. There's definitely room for improvement, but it's a welcome step in the right direction, imho.

I understand a lot of people's complaints, and no, I wasn't trying to troll. I just was starting to feel like some kind of outcast freak because I actually like the patch, and I was wondering if I was the only one.

Personally? I'm inclined to agree with you - there is a lot to like about it. It's just buried under an unprofessional layer of glitches, bugs, and poor implementation. Hopefully they iron that out in the next maintenance, at which point I'd be much more comfortable saying the update was an improvement.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Only dislike the font, maybe reduce the size on some interface b:surrender
    about color font now it's better to read with black background on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Warren I'm mad at you now. First you steal my market and now you say that this update is cool. b:angry

Seriously I think that when the UI font is changed back to original or at least fixed to fit everything, I'm cool with the changes. TW pay will be changed in a month or two and chat might be altered. The labels suck the most, otherwise it's not that bad if you lower the font size by one.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options

You are far from the only one, but upset people are always more vocal than happy people. The only people that were hurt by the patch are people that TW. People that PvP are always a minority in every game (though they always feel they are the majority for some reason) so this patch hurt far fewer people than it helped. Inflation is everyone's problem. Making TW more expensive is a problem for far fewer players. The change was a step in the right direction. Now they just need to make it so you cannot exchange a best of luck token for a 10 million bank note and we will be making some great progress.
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    We'll definitely see about fixing the font in those menus so that everything fits correctly :)
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    We'll definitely see about fixing the font in those menus so that everything fits correctly :)

dont forget about the best luck token thing b:chuckle
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    erethizon1 wrote: »
    You are far from the only one, but upset people are always more vocal than happy people. The only people that were hurt by the patch are people that TW. People that PvP are always a minority in every game (though they always feel they are the majority for some reason) so this patch hurt far fewer people than it helped. Inflation is everyone's problem. Making TW more expensive is a problem for far fewer players. The change was a step in the right direction. Now they just need to make it so you cannot exchange a best of luck token for a 10 million bank note and we will be making some great progress.

Wrong. The problem is that not many people visit forums. NO ONE in my faction likes the new chat, but I am the only one in forums. So I would say the people who like it ARE the minority.. not just the less vocal.
  • SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear
    SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    This thread contains the only ppl who approve of the update. You all are the 0.01%

*Waits for Lego Perfect World*
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." ~Sun Tzu

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
    ~Iron Mike Tyson Enrage.omgforum.net
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    3 pages of the same people saying they like the patch vs 25+ pages & countless threads of hundreds of people saying they hate the patch.

And frankie says: "sure, we will reduce the font a little for ya. But **** getting rid of the tags bit, right? Ill just leave that out, and it will just go away. Just like I said for everyone to suck up the TW changes and blame the economy that Kantorek and Xarfox said a year ago they would fix on TW income instead of the packs."

Ok so you didnt really say that frankie, but I think you shouldve said that instead of feeding the usual bs to everyone. People really appreciate honesty you know.
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    This thread contains the only ppl who approve of the update. You all are the 0.01%

*Waits for Lego Perfect World*

For now, wait till the others catch wind of this. b:chuckle
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Wrong. The problem is that not many people visit forums. NO ONE in my faction likes the new chat, but I am the only one in forums. So I would say the people who like it ARE the minority.. not just the less vocal.

I would say the chat is an exception. I imagine few people like the chat change, but it is such an incredibly minor change that it is not worth complaining about. When I logged in after the patch my first thought was, "Why is chat so big and ugly?" Now I am used to it and it is no big deal. Cosmetic changes like the chat rarely matter in the long run so I do not even take them into consideration when considering whether a given patch is good or not. This patch had item linking in the chat menu and increased TW expenses, both of which benefit the majority of the players. Thus, the patch is a huge improvement.
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    erethizon1 wrote: »
    I would say the chat is an exception. I imagine few people like the chat change, but it is such an incredibly minor change that it is not worth complaining about. When I logged in after the patch my first thought was, "Why is chat so big and ugly?" Now I am used to it and it is no big deal. Cosmetic changes like the chat rarely matter in the long run so I do not even take them into consideration when considering whether a given patch is good or not. This patch had item linking in the chat menu and increased TW expenses, both of which benefit the majority of the players. Thus, the patch is a huge improvement.

you just took off your bifocals, didnt you?

well, for the people who can see, I imagine its painful to stare at. People are complaining, and being serious about it, about headaches caused from the text/font/UI/Chat changes. Thats pretty bad, I'd say.
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I got used to it already.

I am part of a TW faction, and the pay thing doesnt affect most of the faction, since most ppl have their own way of making money for fun TWs.

The font/chat changes, I got used to it already.

Bidding Hall is kinda annoying with the red spam, especially when TWs are being announced, rofl. But I am curious in the items it will offer.

I did see 1 wraith attack today announced, but only 1, has there been more than 1 in like a 24 hr period though?

Nien is finally taken out, kinda bummed and happy at the same time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
This discussion has been closed.