How can a cleric be fail?

LadyTsukiyo - Harshlands
LadyTsukiyo - Harshlands Posts: 140 Arc User
edited July 2010 in Cleric
For the past two days I've had 3 people call me a fail cleric. 2 of them cited that because I don't level quick enough that I'm a fail, or that well I'm just a fail cleric. (The other really didn't give a good reason.)

When I do bhs, I do try to heal, DD, make sure the squad lives even though something bad happens, etc. I do quests on my own among other things. Hell I even fixed my build which was a messed up hybrid build. But it still alludes me.

How can a cleric be fail? What makes a cleric fail? To those who have called me fail or think I am fail, explain why and how. And give suggestions as to how I can improve. :3
"If God gives you lemons, then get a new God"-Powerthirst
Post edited by LadyTsukiyo - Harshlands on

Comments

• Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    You are a fail if you cannot keep the tank alive in an instance.
    Semi-fail if you can't keep other members in your squad alive
    Half fail if all you do is spam IH even when the tank doesnt need it
    A little fail if you dont have holy path

inb4youfailbecauseyouusepureheartedblessing
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fruitluips - Lost City
    Fruitluips - Lost City Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    For the past two days I've had 3 people call me a fail cleric. 2 of them cited that because I don't level quick enough that I'm a fail, or that well I'm just a fail cleric. (The other really didn't give a good reason.)

When I do bhs, I do try to heal, DD, make sure the squad lives even though something bad happens, etc. I do quests on my own among other things. Hell I even fixed my build which was a messed up hybrid build. But it still alludes me.

How can a cleric be fail? What makes a cleric fail? To those who have called me fail or think I am fail, explain why and how. And give suggestions as to how I can improve. :3
    Hilariously misusing the word "allude" (you're probably looking for "elude") but that has nothing to do with clerics b:laugh

On a more serious note, you should probably disregard the people who are saying these things to you. If you're doing your job correctly, or at least to the best of your ability, there's nothing wrong with you. If you're doing the right thing and someone thinks otherwise, he or she can try to finish the instance or whatever without heals/revive.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Generally it is them that are fails...

Besides, you cannot always keep a squad alive...**** happens.

Also, level at your pace...after-all, it is your game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited June 2010

That's one problem, a cleric should never DD if they are the only cleric in squad because a tank could suddenly aggro a ton of mobs while your DDing an the tank dies. The only time you should DD is if there is more than just you (a cleric) in squad since they will handle the heals but you should still heal if there's a couple a clerics in squad just to make sure there's no party wipes.

For me I mainly heal and only heal Ill only DD if I know its safe for me to DD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010
    That's one problem, a cleric should never DD if they are the only cleric in squad because a tank could suddenly aggro a ton of mobs while your DDing an the tank dies. The only time you should DD is if there is more than just you (a cleric) in squad since they will handle the heals but you should still heal if there's a couple a clerics in squad just to make sure there's no party wipes.

For me I mainly heal and only heal Ill only DD if I know its safe for me to DD.

^ That's not true. Just more acceptable at higher levels or in certain situations. Generally speaking though a Cleric should ONLY DD if the time and situation is right. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• yashino
    yashino Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    b:cute dont worry, if anyone is to fail, must be me, cuz i never heal, i made a sin do BP on a fist wr and let it tank while i just standing there watching
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^me

already quit pwi, and yet my gears are still superior than 95% of you people.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010
    yashino wrote: »
    b:cute dont worry, if anyone is to fail, must be me, cuz i never heal, i made a sin do BP on a fist wr and let it tank while i just standing there watching

You made me think of a fail Cleric thing to do...

Meditate in the middle of a boss...I have seen it done b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited June 2010
    ^ That's not true. Just more acceptable at higher levels or in certain situations. Generally speaking though a Cleric should ONLY DD if the time and situation is right. ;)

The only reason why I said that a cleric should DD if there's another cleric in squad is that its safer to DD since the other cleric/clerics will most likely be healing the party and there won't be a party wipe. (most of the time...).

But you still made a good point tho. b:victory

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • yashino
    yashino Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2010

omg, that cleric is even better than me, I was standing but he was meditating? omg standing takes effort
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^me

already quit pwi, and yet my gears are still superior than 95% of you people.
  • LadyTsukiyo - Harshlands
    LadyTsukiyo - Harshlands Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Lylfo I try to keep the tank alive unless they do something stupid when I'm either not at my computer or not looking..I spam heal a lot even if the tank might not need it, but I wanna be safe than sorry later. And I need holy path D:.

Fuitlups: Lol probably. And I know I shouldn't let it bother me. It's just annoying because these are people who probably shouldn't be gloating about things, and well there are always going to be higher lvl people or even lower lvl people that can make them look like fails..or they've already proved it when they're trying to pk me lol.

RedRose: I know I'm human. I don't have as much time to play as I should soI try to do things at my pace like do quests, then scramble for a squad for bh etc.

SilverCleric: DDing as a cleric makes things faster. We have offensive skills FOR A REASON. Whenever I describe how I utilize my skills I always refer to myself as the FF class: Red Mage. I can heal, and attack whenever need be. There are times when healing can lead to a quick and easy death for me, like heal aggro mobs. Normally in squads people are strong enough and know what their limits are. I just help the tank, or the other DDs out. And heal them after.
    "If God gives you lemons, then get a new God"-Powerthirst
  • Reichle - Sanctuary
    Reichle - Sanctuary Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited June 2010

What's so bad about meditating during a boss? As long as no one's charm ticked or no one died, the cleric can do whatever they want.

As for the main question, since there's no details, I can't really tell if youre fail or not. But since only 3 people told you that out of all the BHs you've done, you seem to be doing pretty well. Maybe they were raging cuz they died from stealing aggro or somethin.
    Your leveling speed has nothing to do with you being a fail cleric or not.
    Some ways to improve would be to use wellspring on squishy DDs that steal aggro, because it's much quicker and instant heals as opposed to IH, which heals over time. Because lets say a pure mag wiz steals aggro, you have about 2-3 hits to heal him before he dies. You notice he got hit after the first hit, channeling takes up about 1 hit, so by the time you cast, they're already almost dead, and IH won't save them.
    Also learn to use other heals while healing the tank during the boss. People tend to feel very secure if their HP never goes less than half or if their charm never ticks. Especially if it's a magic damage boss (which hits barbs really really hard), I find mixing SoR with IH helps alot with healing.
    As for DDing, it depends on the squad. If they're keeping you busy by ping-ponging aggro, maybe it wouldn't be wise to DD. But if it's a good squad, then you can DD to make things go a little faster when everyone's at full health.
    Idk why I went on this long speech. You probably know this already >___<
    Reichle lvl7x cleric | Neithin lvl5x barb | Tigressi lvl3x veno | Etheriali lvl3x wiz | Goldeeni lvl2x sin | Lilaq lvl2x BM | Fuegai lvlx archer | Whiteney psychic not created yet >_>

Yes, I love PWI that much. Every class is awesome in their own way.
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    What's so bad about meditating during a boss? As long as no one's charm ticked or no one died, the cleric can do whatever they want.

hard to debuff or dd then :3
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Reichle - Sanctuary
    edited June 2010

well yeah, but its not FAIL...
    Reichle lvl7x cleric | Neithin lvl5x barb | Tigressi lvl3x veno | Etheriali lvl3x wiz | Goldeeni lvl2x sin | Lilaq lvl2x BM | Fuegai lvlx archer | Whiteney psychic not created yet >_>

edited June 2010
    well yeah, but its not FAIL...

Its not fail just find a right time to do it. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
    edited June 2010
    annoying enough to not squad with :P

tho to be fair, gotta notice that DDs are worse in this on mid lvls.. so annyoing when they even dont bother to put spark in macro or to check if they wasnt interupted..

fortunately this change later b:pleased

or they die :P
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

• GenericBrand - Archosaur
    GenericBrand - Archosaur Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Whenever I describe how I utilize my skills I always refer to myself as the FF class: Red Mage. I can heal, and attack whenever need be.
    Where red mages can fill gaps in a party, whether it be DD or healing, they cannot replace those classes. A red mage will never be able to deal anywhere near as much damage as a true DD class (melee or elemental), nor will they heal better/more efficiently than a white mage. I believe they are described as "Jack of All Trades. Master of None" in the FF MMO.

As for your original post, everyone else summed up anything I might have said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010
    Its not fail just find a right time to do it. b:chuckle
    annoying enough to not squad with :P

I have kicked Clerics from squads for this b:embarrass

Learn to manage it or get pots...Not like we have all nvr been there but I have nvr meditated at any boss...just ugh imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Fail if you dont pay attention to your surroundings. such as:

- failing to keep the tank alive when it IS within your healing power
    - failing to keep the other DD alive when you DO have time to heal other than the tank
    - not paying attention to your own HP/MP (potions are good)
    - Not paying attention to the mobs around you so you DONT aggro MORE
    - Healing before the tank/DD take aggro and dying yourself.
    - Getting immersed in DDing yourself you forget to heal pple or purify

And no you dont need holy path. It would be NICE yes. You dont HAVE to have something that the game implemented half way through. The former pple did it without, so it wont kill you if you do the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Reichle - Sanctuary
    edited June 2010
    Fail if you dont pay attention to your surroundings. such as:

- failing to keep the tank alive when it IS within your healing power
    - failing to keep the other DD alive when you DO have time to heal other than the tank
    - not paying attention to your own HP/MP (potions are good)
    - Not paying attention to the mobs around you so you DONT aggro MORE
    - Healing before the tank/DD take aggro and dying yourself.
    - Getting immersed in DDing yourself you forget to heal pple or purify

And no you dont need holy path. It would be NICE yes. You dont HAVE to have something that the game implemented half way through. The former pple did it without, so it wont kill you if you do the same.

well said, well said *nods thoughtfully*

• DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    @ SilverCleric
    Escape button. 'Nuff said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Nexina - Lost City
    Nexina - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited June 2010

Hard to debuff or dd when you need to meditate :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Screenshot of forum activity taken on November 9th, 2009.

Seems that PWI is worse at telling/keeping time than I'm accused of being.
    b:chuckle b:victory
  • Kokin - Dreamweaver
    Kokin - Dreamweaver Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Escape button. 'Nuff said.

This is probably a fail question but well hehehe
    Since u talked about Esc.. i have an alt cleric and i was wondering.. my ESC button often doesn't work when i try to unfocus some1 to heal myself.. i stop healing the squad mate and just spam Esc button but i keep him with focus :(
    Is there any trick for that?
  • LeLelle - Sanctuary
    LeLelle - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    We were at Wyvern and someone told me to put up plume shell. Well that is stupid, Wyvern is a magic AOE boss.

Two squad members died while I was preoocupied with arguing the point.

Thats probably fail.
  • mutantmouse
    mutantmouse Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2010

My experience of playing healers in various MMO's is this. Tanks and dps classes tend to point at their healers for their failings.

At times you will get terrible tanks and terrible dps people in your squads.

As a healer you tend to use a triage skill in determining how to get thru some encounters.

The good tanks lock down the agro. The good dpsers make certain that they dont draw the agro onto themselves.

On a bad pull keep the main tank up and evaluate who is expendable. Dps usually is the first choice to let die because if you can survive the bad pull you can rez the dps after.

Sloppy tanks that dont have the awareness of whats going on usualy results in a total squad kill and blame the healer for the results. Pulling when the healer doesnt have enough mana to heal thru the pull is another flaw some tanks tend to do.

Dps determined to max their dps at all costs and damn the squad is another problem.

As for healers make sure you have potions and are geared for what you should be healing for a encounter.
    edited June 2010
    We were at Wyvern and someone told me to put up plume shell. Well that is stupid, Wyvern is a magic AOE boss.

Two squad members died while I was preoocupied with arguing the point.

Thats probably fail.

even double since wyvern uses physical aoe b:chuckle

• Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    Aya__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    That's one problem, a cleric should never DD if they are the only cleric in squad because a tank could suddenly aggro a ton of mobs while your DDing an the tank dies.

b:shocked
    please someone tell me he joked
    please?

if i dont know instance or boss im cautious, and usually overheal
    if i know it i decide when and how to heal, dd, debuff or whatever
    i trust the tank to know his job (ok, i check from time to time if he really knows unless its someone i know)
    tank and squad trust me to know my job (im sure they check me too, but as long as hp doesnt fall below 50% very few voice any complaints)

why make fight go much longer because you didnt debuff boss?
    why waste potential damage you could deal but stood and looked pretty instead?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    How to be fail Cleric? Easy.

Step 1: Get to 80

Step 2: Die at Qingzi

Step 3: ?????

Step 4: Profit!
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    How to be fail Cleric? Easy.

Step 1: Get to 80

Step 2: Die at Qingzi

Step 3: ?????

Step 4: Profit!

That was NOT a cleric. It may have looked like one but that thing was certainly not a cleric. b:angry
  • /NiKi - Lost City
    /NiKi - Lost City Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Since u talked about Esc.. i have an alt cleric and i was wondering.. my ESC button often doesn't work when i try to unfocus some1 to heal myself.. i stop healing the squad mate and just spam Esc button but i keep him with focus :(

only way to click ur avatar to target ur self.
    atleast u stop heal target b:surrender
    alot of times when i use macro i cant even stop heal with esc,just keeps going,then u have to interrupt it with casting some other skill,since u cant even untarget just cast some buff and it will stop b:chuckle
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited June 2010

That just happens sometimes. If that happens, try clicking your portrait, it targets yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric