Green/Blue Text

SmilingCooki - Sanctuary
SmilingCooki - Sanctuary Posts: 152 Arc User
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
So... Everyone knows how big and such a fuss is about using the <1/2><[text here]><1:0>
is for changing the color of your text to either blue/green. Everytime I WC with it I get about 3-5 people PM me about "oh you'll get banned for doing that" and what not. Yet I've been doing it for a couple months now and, well, NOTHING, big shocker. So, let's hear input from other people on your opinion of this, and maybe a GM would care to shed some light on this topic.
Don't stare at me like that, I just might like it.
Post edited by SmilingCooki - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Asmodiel - Heavens Tear
    Asmodiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,442 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I believe in one of these kind of topics/threads a mod/gm/admin said it wasn't bannable.

+ with the now removed horns, ppl could use way more colors then that.
    "One of the most important factors, not only in military matters but in life as a whole, is ... the ability to direct one's whole energies towards the fulfillment of a particular task." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Horns aren't gone >.<

People who stocked up on them are still spamming the hell outta us!!
  • SmilingCooki - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    I've told plenty of people that. Although an anoncement would be nice to stop people from telling me it's bannable, I doubt it's going to happen. Just me QQing.
  • Asmodiel - Heavens Tear
    Asmodiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,442 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Horns aren't gone >.<

Well yea I mean, they are removed from Boutique, probably until they've implemented a feature where you can turn them things off.
    "One of the most important factors, not only in military matters but in life as a whole, is ... the ability to direct one's whole energies towards the fulfillment of a particular task." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ajaa - Heavens Tear
    Ajaa - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Horns aren't gone >.<

I have one horn, but I won't use it until some feature to filter them out is implemented. Unlike some, I don't feel like annoying my fellow players by infiltrating their various chats.
  • Untamedchaos - Sanctuary
    Untamedchaos - Sanctuary Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I pm'd Frankie and got a direct reply, saying that formatting the text isn't bannable unless it's red and impersonates a GM. There's your answer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] With a .25x multiplier = 423520 regular

Booyah.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Dunno if it's bannable, but I automatically blacklist anyone I see saying something on WC with blue/green text. If you have to trick me into reading what you say by making me think it's squad or faction chat, that tells me you don't think I would normally read what you say in WC. And if your own opinion about what you're saying on WC is so low, what makes you think I'd want to read it after you've tricked me by changing the color to resemble something I normally read?

The deception makes it the worst kind of peddling, right up there with cat shops with one item priced high, or claiming to sell one thing while selling another cheaper thing with the same icon. The victim's loss (wasted time) is much smaller, but the principle is the same. As the story with the prostitute goes, you've already established that you are that type of person, the only thing you're haggling over is the price.*

The other colors I don't mind. I didn't even blacklist the people using perfect horns with other colors. But blue or green earns an automatic blacklist. It's also highly ironic that you have no problem with intruding on people's faction or squad chad with blue/green text. But you want the GMs to do something about people intruding on your chat by sending PMs in response.

*(For those unfamiliar with the story, a man goes up to a woman and asks if she'll sleep with him for a million dollars. She thinks about it and agrees. He then asks if she'll sleep with him for $20. She says she's not that kind of girl. He points out that she has already admitted that she is that kind of girl, and he's just haggling over the price.)
  • Fettuh - Harshlands
    Fettuh - Harshlands Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Interesting. I saw someone today speaking in green. At first I assumed it was some Item Mall item allowing them to do that.
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    GM said it wasn't bannable; cba to find the quote.

In any case I either ignore or BL people who use the coloured fonts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Dunno if it's bannable, but I automatically blacklist anyone I see saying something on WC with blue/green text. If you have to trick me into reading what you say by making me think it's squad or faction chat, that tells me you don't think I would normally read what you say in WC. And if your own opinion about what you're saying on WC is so low, what makes you think I'd want to read it after you've tricked me by changing the color to resemble something I normally read?

The deception makes it the worst kind of peddling, right up there with cat shops with one item priced high, or claiming to sell one thing while selling another cheaper thing with the same icon. The victim's loss (wasted time) is much smaller, but the principle is the same. As the story with the prostitute goes, you've already established that you are that type of person, the only thing you're haggling over is the price.*

The other colors I don't mind. I didn't even blacklist the people using perfect horns with other colors. But blue or green earns an automatic blacklist. It's also highly ironic that you have no problem with intruding on people's faction or squad chad with blue/green text. But you want the GMs to do something about people intruding on your chat by sending PMs in response.

I dont think green & blue test is trying to trick anyone. You only have those 2 options with the text coloration change trick on WC. Unlike horns which get a full color map. The reason those 2 colors exist for WC does have something to do with those already being common chat colors.

People who use it arent trying to trick anyone. They're just trying to make it stand out, to pull your eye towards it, which is pretty much what every sales tactic involves throughout history. The same as CAPS. I think you're being a bit harsh on coloration WCers, at least they arent invading my seperate chat boxes like horn users.
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    It is bannable cause you are exploiting a game feature, wich goes against ToS.

However, GMs may are overseing it since there are more important thing to take care of. As long it doesn't become a major problem on wc, GMs may won't do anything for such a lil' thing like switching the color of your text.
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    I dont think green & blue test is trying to trick anyone. You only have those 2 options with the text coloration change trick on WC. Unlike horns which get a full color map. The reason those 2 colors exist for WC does have something to do with those already being common chat colors.

People who use it arent trying to trick anyone. They're just trying to make it stand out, to pull your eye towards it, which is pretty much what every sales tactic involves throughout history. The same as CAPS. I think you're being a bit harsh on coloration WCers, at least they arent invading my seperate chat boxes like horn users.

You pretty much just summed up why I use blue/green chat. No one ever notices regular WC color cause everyone is so used to it unless you sit there and do nothing and purposely read WC. If you want to draw someone's eye and get it noticed, I'd have to use the blue/green chat (obviously cause horns are no longer cash shop and the fact they cost 75k ea. on my server)
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2010

However, GMs may are overseing it since there are more important thing to take care of. As long it doesn't become a major problem on wc, GMs may won't do anything for such a lil' thing like switching the color of your text.

Dude go read the Support seciton. GM's are Stating IT IS PERFECTLY FINE TO USE GREEN/BLUE TEXT!

The only color your not allowed to use it red, becuase that is trying to impersonate a GM, and THAT is bannable.
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Dude go read the Support seciton. GM's are Stating IT IS PERFECTLY FINE TO USE GREEN/BLUE TEXT!

The only color your not allowed to use it red, becuase that is trying to impersonate a GM, and THAT is bannable.

Remember the hairstyle switching trick? they first said is was ok, then the tideborn came with their bugged hairstyles and everyone started to complain and wanted change them for another non-tideborn hairstyle. GMs finally decided and said switching class-only hairstyles from one class to another is a bannable offense.

If they wanna make us able to switch text color, it would have been implemented from the beggining and not by using that trick.

As I said on my earlier post, It may not be a major issue now, but you have to understand why it can be considered bannable if thing begin to go out of control. GMs now are saying is ok and not bannable. Older players have heard the opposite (and thus the OP is gettin' those PMs), and perhaps in the future thing will change and may become bannable again. who knows
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    People who use it arent trying to trick anyone. They're just trying to make it stand out, to pull your eye towards it,
    Thank you for proving my point. And the reason it pulls your eye towards it is because they trick you into thinking it's a faction or squad chat message.
    which is pretty much what every sales tactic involves throughout history.
    Yes, telemarketers impose themselves the same way while you're at home eating dinner, tricking you into thinking it's a legitimate call and making you answer the phone. I hang up on them too.
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Yes, telemarketers impose themselves the same way while you're at home eating dinner, tricking you into thinking it's a legitimate call and making you answer the phone. I hang up on them too.

The ones that call while I'm eating dinner are the worst. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Remember the hairstyle switching trick? they first said is was ok, then the tideborn came with their bugged hairstyles and everyone started to complain and wanted change them for another non-tideborn hairstyle. GMs finally decided and said switching class-only hairstyles from one class to another is a bannable offense.

Umm.. there's a difference between editing game files and using color codes. b:bye
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    That's false, you aren't exploiting anything. The GM's have repeatedly said it's not bannable (for example here and here).

Please don't spread misinformation.
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I pm'd Frankie and got a direct reply, saying that formatting the text isn't bannable unless it's red and impersonates a GM. There's your answer

This rule makes absolutely no sense since horns came out and people were able to type in red text. We've always been told that typing in red text is impersonating a GM, then they made a new item that allows us to type in red text. Go figure.

No, typing in green and blue is not bannable. Ignore those who say otherwise. They obviously have no clue what they're talking about.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited May 2010

If they wanna make us able to switch text color, it would have been implemented from the beggining and not by using that trick.

As I said on my earlier post, It may not be a major issue now, but you have to understand why it can be considered bannable if thing begin to go out of control. GMs now are saying is ok and not bannable. Older players have heard the opposite (and thus the OP is gettin' those PMs), and perhaps in the future thing will change and may become bannable again. who knows

Just because something became bannable at some point, doesn't mean something else completely unrelated is bannable. Seriously, what?

It's not bannable, the GMs have confirmed it numerous times, don't listen to people like this who don't know what they're talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Umm.. there's a difference between editing game files and using color codes. b:bye

You weren't editing the game files. It was as simple as copy-pastin' the *.ini files from one folder to another, and that is completely legal and according to ToS.
    Just because something became bannable at some point, doesn't mean something else completely unrelated is bannable. Seriously, what?

It's not bannable, the GMs have confirmed it numerous times, don't listen to people like this who don't know what they're talking about.

*sight*

haven't read the whole post? I posted the hairstyle issue as an example of how things can change if they go out of control, or some unknown reason. And yes, it is related to the issue we're talkin' rite now.

Yes, you're right. Using green/blue text is not bannable at the moment. I also remember some GMs said it was not allowed at some point last year (I think it was at the beggining of last year), and that's why some people says it could be bannable, till the current GM said is not and can be used freely.

But, who can assure next month it will still unbanable? The closest scenario I can see is when the perfect horn is fixed and relaunched. In order to put world chat in line and to increase perfect horn sales, they might will change the policy and began to say using the blue/green text trick is not allowed and bannable.

The only assured thing I've learned from PWI is that nothing can be taken for sure. So enjoy it while it last b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    But, who can assure next month it will still unbanable? The closest scenario I can see is when the perfect horn is fixed and relaunched. In order to put world chat in line and to increase perfect horn sales, they might will change the policy and began to say using the blue/green text trick is not allowed and banable.

Now that would be understandable, cause in a way I would be stealing money from PWE. Even though it's not much, it's still something.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    haven't read the whole post? I posted the hairstyle issue as an example of how things can change if they go out of control, or some unknown reason. And yes, it is related to the issue we're talkin' rite now.

Yes, you're right. Using green/blue text is not bannable at the moment. I also remember some GMs said it was not allowed at some point last year (I think it was at the beggining of last year), and that's why some people says it could be bannable, till the current GM said is not and can be used freely.

But, who can assure next month it will still unbanable? The closest scenario I can see is when the perfect horn is fixed and relaunched. In order to put world chat in line and to increase perfect horn sales, they might will change the policy and began to say using the blue/green text trick is not allowed and bannable.

The only assured thing I've learned from PWI is that nothing can be taken for sure. So enjoy it while it last b:surrender

>Yes, you're right. Using green/blue text is not bannable at the moment.
    >Using green/blue text is not bannable at the moment.
    >not bannable at the moment
    >not bannable
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    >not bannable

Quoting so that the slow people can read it a second time and let it sink in.
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    >not bannable
    Quoting so that the slow people can read it a second time and let it sink in.

Quoting for troll bait and to remember you when the policy changes, I'll be right there sayin' "told ya" b:sin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Quoting for troll bait and to remember you when the policy changes, I'll be right there sayin' "told ya" b:sin

And if it doesn't I'll be right here to call you an idiot. b:cute
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    You weren't editing the game files. It was as simple as copy-pastin' the *.ini files from one folder to another, and that is completely legal and according to ToS.

*sight*

He's got a point, I can totally see PWE suddenly announcing that green/blue text codes are bannable to increase perfect horn sales.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    He's got a point, I can totally see PWE suddenly announcing that green/blue text codes are bannable to increase perfect horn sales.

The point was, his first post said, straight out, "It is bannable", which is wrong. He then proceeded to say that it's not bannable and when he said "it's bannable the GMs are just ignoring it" he meant "it's not bannable right now but it possibly might be in the future maybe".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Well, either way, I can totally see PWE making green/blue text code bannable to increase perfect horn sales.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    And if it doesn't I'll be right here to call you an idiot. b:cute

Umm... he already is, we just have to wait and see if time will change that. b:pleased
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.