A little afraid to be a Cleric

Kasuda - Raging Tide
Kasuda - Raging Tide Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Cleric
Hey guys, I've been playing this game for a month or two and I'm really enjoying it. I've been experimenting with different classes, researching their strengths and purposes in squads so hopefully I don't become a fail at that class, like I knew how to keep from getting aggro as my psy, how to pull as a veno, and how to tank properly as a barb from the beginning.

Anyway, lately I find myself as my psy just sitting outside of the Den of Rabid Wolves for the sole purpose of helping others with killing the wolves if they need it for a quest. Plus getting revenge on those monsters feels epic. b:victory So i thought since I like helping others so much, why not start a cleric?

So I started my cleric a few days ago. He's just lv. 19 now but I'm having fun so far, and it feels good to help others in trouble and hear them say thanks.

But as I browse the Cleric section here in the forums, most of the posts are about how much people hate on clerics. I'm actually nervous as heck to try and run fb19. What if we fail? I don't want to take all the blame for someone's death even though they were the ones acting stupid. Is this unavoidable for us? Should I just quit my cleric to avoid the drama?

Sorry for the wall of text, this is my first time posting. I usually just lurk. b:surrender
Post edited by Kasuda - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Eariala - Sanctuary
    Eariala - Sanctuary Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Don't be scared away.

In the forums, the talking is about the extremes, not the normal day to day happenings. (which can be realy uneventful for days)

But the extreme good and bad runs are the food for all the stories, net the average.

In all my encounters with other players I have seen more people trying to be nice and helpful to eacht other than in the "real world".
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    What if we fail?
    b:avoid Blame the tank
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    b:avoid Blame the tank

b:chuckle +1 that.

Don't be afraid Kasuda. Although, if you like helping people, becoming a barb /herc veno is better than becoming a cleric. But drama will happen no matter what class you are. Just don't let yourself get walked on and you'll be ok n.n
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Actually its better to fail now than to fail later. Just try it and work on your cleric from there.
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iluvprpl
    iluvprpl Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2010

But as I browse the Cleric section here in the forums, most of the posts are about how much people hate on clerics. I'm actually nervous as heck to try and run fb19. What if we fail? I don't want to take all the blame for someone's death even though they were the ones acting stupid. Is this unavoidable for us? Should I just quit my cleric to avoid the drama?

Honestly, about half the time, people will try to tell you what to do or try to call you a fail, even if they're the ones messing up. But this will happen no matter what class you're in, and it doesn't happen as often as these forums make it seem. Rolling a cleric is fun, especially if you get into the groove of gameplay, grinding/questing and dungeoun running. Just always remember to keep yourself healed/buffed when questing/grinding, keep your squadmates healed during BH/FB runs, and you should be fine. If you encounter drama, just leave the squad or something. You don't have to sit there and take abuse from someone if it really upsets you.
  • Mr_Mokona - Lost City
    Mr_Mokona - Lost City Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Ah dont worry bout that, people love to be clerics friends b:cute
    As for failing, we learn best from our mistakes, and hey everyones gotta start somewhere.
    You "will" at some point have some ignorant person have a go at you, and blame you for something when things go wrong, When the time comes just shrug it off ^_~
    Just try it out an enjoy the experience =)

As for quitting just to avoid drama, hell no. If you enjoy it anyway.
    You will get blamed for "letting people die", just as barbs will get blamed for dieing/losing agro, DD's for getting agro and so on, so learn from it, move on.
    An if it really isnt your fault, just laugh at them for dying.
    Oh an dont be afraid to advise ppl, when the situation seems fit, and you feel you know best, speak up, so long as you dont sound arrogant.
    Anyway, have fun ^_~
  • Strife_son - Sanctuary
    Strife_son - Sanctuary Posts: 1,217 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Think you are worrying too much brah~

Party wipes can be some of the funniest moments in game.

Just relax and enjoy. With time you hopefully become a more experienced and efficient cleric.
  • Picky - Lost City
    Picky - Lost City Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Think you are worrying too much brah~

Party wipes can be some of the funniest moments in game.

Just relax and enjoy. With time you hopefully become a more experienced and efficient cleric.

hehe soo true. To the OP, dont worry. People will die in your party and honestly sometimes might be our fault sometimes not. I lost count how many party wipes ive been in and more often than not it is pretty funny b:laugh. Its just xp..and can always get it back. Not a big deal :) If you enjoy playing your cleric, i say go for it and keep at it! We learn from our mistakes and makes us better each time. Have fun!
  • Teppeii - Dreamweaver
    Teppeii - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,206 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    You should definitely go for Cleric if you wish to.b:cute

The risk of drama really is no reason to be afraid. After all, drama is inevitable no matter what class you are.("Stupid Archer! You stole aggro and wiped the party!"b:cry)
    On indefinite hiatus :3
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Don't worry! Just do it and go for it b:victory

(I have been blamed for not knowing how to lure when the tank just followed my pet and pulled aggro. -.-)

So as all these people stated before, drama people are everywhere and you can't run away from it whatever class you are.
    If someone says you are a crappy cleric or starts bashing on you when it's their fault, just leave them to die. And if you did a mistake, say you're sorry and hopefully people will be nice to you b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JessyMX - Sanctuary
    JessyMX - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Hello, I would say I am a level 68 cleric now and I must say that the path of a cleric is very difficult and often require assistance for quests but I have the great advantage of always being requested in squads, I mean I am a highly effective healing cleric although sometimes certain circumstances not get the job done I am supposed to accomplish and people got mad at me when that happens, I still feel proud of being a cleric because when I do my job well I say I'm better than Most of this class.

Being a clergyman should not fear, be a priest must give pride;)

By JessyMX (Best sexy cleric girl & pure healer) ...:::Sanctuary ;):::...b:chuckle
  • SoulSilencer - Lost City
    SoulSilencer - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Don't worry, as a pure dex no vit assassin I have been told to wait while the others kill an AOE mob, and then when they die they insult me for not helping XD all classes recieve flak sometimes, if you do your party is bad and you should get a new one, and as a cleric that is easy :D
    A simple slip, a single mistake, one uncontrolled thought, or the slightest sound, and you fail.

However, if you move in silence, know your powers and weaknesses, be prapared for anything, always know your surroundings, never cast a shadow, know how to wait yet be ready to jump when the time is right.

You may survive, to be a master of swift death, and a chief of all that is unseen. Never let your pride be stronger than your brain, nor let your anger be your drive, or you will fail. And most importantly remember this, a good assassin is not the one who is well known, or credited with their doings. It is the one who is unknown, and never credited for either right or wrong.
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Just say you forgot your blessing
    b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    Aya__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Just say you forgot your blessing
    b:chuckle

i did it for real quite a few times b:shocked

OP: if you like playing in squad and helping people cleric is the class for you.
    dont worry about messing things up, that will happen to you and to others, everybody has to learn. and dont worry about getting blamed either, sometimes its pretty random thing and has nothing to do with actually being at fault...
    and as you grow you will get cool stories to tell, some of epic wins, some of epic fails b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kasuda - Raging Tide
    Kasuda - Raging Tide Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for all the great replies everyone. I guess I really shouldn't let in-game drama push me away from a class I enjoy playing.

So I'll keep leveling my cleric and have fun with it. If someone has a problem then I'll just laugh it off and see how far they get without my heals. b:victory
  • Vienna - Dreamweaver
    Vienna - Dreamweaver Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Well, you should note that clerics was always one if not the most expensive class, already when charms was for 500k, now is PW economy way different as half year ago..and charms cost 1M+ and when you come in lvl's when you will somekind need a charm, are clerics far in they own category in costs. I quess not far away from them are wizzards. This is one of the main reasons why you can read on and on in world chat '' looking for a cleric '',and not so much because other people will tell you on and on what to do, blame you for all kind things and tralala.
  • Reichle - Sanctuary
    Reichle - Sanctuary Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Well, you should note that clerics was always one if not the most expensive class, already when charms was for 500k, now is PW economy way different as half year ago..and charms cost 1M+ and when you come in lvl's when you will somekind need a charm, are clerics far in they own category in costs. I quess not far away from them are wizzards. This is one of the main reasons why you can read on and on in world chat '' looking for a cleric '',and not so much because other people will tell you on and on what to do, blame you for all kind things and tralala.

Charms don't count as part of a cleric's cost. They are optional. Barbs, on the other hand, and BMs as a close second, are the most expensive class because of equipment repairs.
    Reichle lvl7x cleric | Neithin lvl5x barb | Tigressi lvl3x veno | Etheriali lvl3x wiz | Goldeeni lvl2x sin | Lilaq lvl2x BM | Fuegai lvlx archer | Whiteney psychic not created yet >_>

Yes, I love PWI that much. Every class is awesome in their own way.
  • Reichle - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Hello, I would say I am a level 68 cleric now and I must say that the path of a cleric is very difficult and often require assistance for quests but I have the great advantage of always being requested in squads, I mean I am a highly effective healing cleric although sometimes certain circumstances not get the job done I am supposed to accomplish and people got mad at me when that happens, I still feel proud of being a cleric because when I do my job well I say I'm better than Most of this class.

Being a clergyman should not fear, be a priest must give pride;)

By JessyMX (Best sexy cleric girl & pure healer) ...:::Sanctuary ;):::...b:chuckle

...how can you be level 68 and STILL need help with questing? At this point your healing and buffs should well protect you from even the most physical mobs. I've been focusing on questing recently, and I've been mobbed by two physical mobs at the same time without dying, or even close. Just IH twice before they get to you and you'll be fine. That's what I've noticed. At this level any help you should need is to make the quest go faster (like if you have to kill 65) or if it's a boss quest.
    Reichle lvl7x cleric | Neithin lvl5x barb | Tigressi lvl3x veno | Etheriali lvl3x wiz | Goldeeni lvl2x sin | Lilaq lvl2x BM | Fuegai lvlx archer | Whiteney psychic not created yet >_>

• Vienna - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    Charms don't count as part of a cleric's cost. They are optional. Barbs, on the other hand, and BMs as a close second, are the most expensive class because of equipment repairs.

Sure, you dont need to buy any mp charms and do TT's, Rebirth..blue balls with pots. So let's say 50K / 5 min blue balls ?. You can't be serious. I quess you are somehow behind the time and those 1 year old storys about reparing bills you cant compare to today pwi economy, where you will pay 1M + for a mp charm which you. will use 3 x faster as Phy. classes hp charm ( if they even have it lol ). Or why do you think people avoid to play clerics ?. Only because they hear often trash ?. There is some bigger reason why so many people stay away from them.
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    At level 75, you can use Herb Yuanxiao. 5000 MP over 10 seconds.

You get 50 of them for 3 tokens of luck. Even at prices of 15k per token of luck, that's still less than 1k each for 5k MP. The moment you hit 75, your MP costs plummet dramatically.
  • Vienna - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    At level 75, you can use Herb Yuanxiao. 5000 MP over 10 seconds.

You get 50 of them for 3 tokens of luck. Even at prices of 15k per token of luck, that's still less than 1k each for 5k MP. The moment you hit 75, your MP costs plummet dramatically.

Yeah i really hope they cut your cost down, because at the moment is every TT with blue balls a pain.
  • Reichle - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Sure, you dont need to buy any mp charms and do TT's, Rebirth..blue balls with pots. So let's say 50K / 5 min blue balls ?. You can't be serious. I quess you are somehow behind the time and those 1 year old storys about reparing bills you cant compare to today pwi economy, where you will pay 1M + for a mp charm which you. will use 3 x faster as Phy. classes hp charm ( if they even have it lol ). Or why do you think people avoid to play clerics ?. Only because they hear often trash ?. There is some bigger reason why so many people stay away from them.

...if people stay away from rolling clerics it's not because of MP charms costs, it's because EVERYONE blames the cleric when there's a party wipe, when someone dies, when someone's charm ticks, when they don't get buffed cuz they're running off aggroing mobs, when they don't get healed in time because their squishy **** got hit from stealing aggro...
    And like I said, charms are not needed. They make things easier, but they are not necessary. There are way cheaper alternatives like apothecary remedies, potions.

• Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    ...if people stay away from rolling clerics it's not because of MP charms costs, it's because EVERYONE blames the cleric when there's a party wipe, when someone dies, when someone's charm ticks, when they don't get buffed cuz they're running off aggroing mobs, when they don't get healed in time because their squishy **** got hit from stealing aggro...
    And like I said, charms are not needed. They make things easier, but they are not necessary. There are way cheaper alternatives like apothecary remedies, potions.
    im using mp charm because im lazy. that said - try doing astral without charm or event food...
    as for reasons why there arent many clerics i think verbal abuse alone doesnt explain all, same as with just costs. its like costs AND abuse AND complexity. cleric must have enough mana for whole instance (cost), must have leveled skills (cost), must keep an eye on everyone (sometimes very hard and ungrateful task), and must play for himself too. so some people get tired of all this and quit....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    We may say what we say but we still go out and play our roles.The party can blame us all they want tomorrow will be another new day.I would just role one and go out and have fun like another game I play ppl take this to seriously as it is just a game.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Reichle - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    im using mp charm because im lazy. that said - try doing astral without charm or event food...
    as for reasons why there arent many clerics i think verbal abuse alone doesnt explain all, same as with just costs. its like costs AND abuse AND complexity. cleric must have enough mana for whole instance (cost), must have leveled skills (cost), must keep an eye on everyone (sometimes very hard and ungrateful task), and must play for himself too. so some people get tired of all this and quit....

Hmmmmm...but not every cleric spends their entire gaming time in a dungeoun. When you're normally questing, you don't need to worry about others, dont need a charm for skills like BB, and you don't need to spam skills like IH.

• Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Dont worry @ OP, you've got a great attitude and i'm sure you'll become a really good cleric. ^_^
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • thunde88
    thunde88 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    People want to have fun not get a 2 work :)
  • Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Hmmmmm...but not every cleric spends their entire gaming time in a dungeoun. When you're normally questing, you don't need to worry about others, dont need a charm for skills like BB, and you don't need to spam skills like IH.

bb solo would be ridiculous b:chuckle
    i can solo all my normal quests and quite a lot of miniboss and boss quests. and i spark a lot and start from maximum range so even phys mobs dont hit me much.
    but i like playing in squad and having company for quests like 'kill 95' or 'get 75 drops' is nice. i often squad with my husband for quests, and this is much more fun than soloing, and cuts costs a lot for both of us, mana for me and hp pots / repairs for him. but when you have charm equipped questing ticks mp charm too if you arent careful.

remember one thing though - im already high level, with good opinion of my own skills, and good friends ingame. if i **** up i own to it and apologise. if someone else screws up and tries to blame me i bl the jerk and dont squad with him anymore. i will not quit playing because of few unpleasant words or because i have to buy another charm. i play for fun, and charms are part of my 'entertainment budget'. but if i was lvl 30, was running out of mana all the time, got yelled at by everyone and still remembered how easy in comparison was playing veno, well, getting the picture?...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I'm actually not entirely sold on the whole "everyone blames clerics for everything always" concept. I know when I mess up, and own up to it. If someone else messed up, they do the same.The last time someone incorrectly called me fail was, I think, in BH wraithgate when they first came out. Some archer drew aggro on serpentrex and got two shotted or something, gave the "why didn't you heal fail etc blah blah!" speech.

I explained that he would have needed full ironheart stack to stay alive, there's no anyone would have been able to respond in time, etc. He attempted "I've played a cleric, so I know how quickly you can heal when you want to." It didn't work.

But yeah, since then I haven't even been accused of being fail. Except when I hilariously tried to tank polearm. I didn't b:surrender
  • Reichle - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    bb solo would be ridiculous b:chuckle
    i can solo all my normal quests and quite a lot of miniboss and boss quests. and i spark a lot and start from maximum range so even phys mobs dont hit me much.
    but i like playing in squad and having company for quests like 'kill 95' or 'get 75 drops' is nice. i often squad with my husband for quests, and this is much more fun than soloing, and cuts costs a lot for both of us, mana for me and hp pots / repairs for him. but when you have charm equipped questing ticks mp charm too if you arent careful.

remember one thing though - im already high level, with good opinion of my own skills, and good friends ingame. if i **** up i own to it and apologise. if someone else screws up and tries to blame me i bl the jerk and dont squad with him anymore. i will not quit playing because of few unpleasant words or because i have to buy another charm. i play for fun, and charms are part of my 'entertainment budget'. but if i was lvl 30, was running out of mana all the time, got yelled at by everyone and still remembered how easy in comparison was playing veno, well, getting the picture?...

Hmmm, yeah I get it. ...I haven't had kill/drop quests with such high numbers yet b:shocked The most I've been getting is 60/65...>.> Don't tell me it gets like Maplestory with 200 kill quests...=.='